Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
lol you didn't study a radically different language for over a decade to gain a measure of fluency, if you'd actually done than then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Final Fantasy 15 is a bad game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
:stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

What does this even mean

He's still angry over a conversation from like a month ago

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
7's translation was pretty bad though. And I'm pretty sure they going to rewrite anything that's 20 years old and slammed out by a small amount of dudes on crunch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

My only snag so far has been tracking down a copy of Dawn of Souls. Gamestop online had it before the holiday and now they don't which means after I get paid this weekend hitting the streets and hoping a local one has it in stock.

I'd recommend the PSP versions over the GBA one anyway...the GBA spritework is just so messy in comparison.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

jivjov posted:

I'd recommend the PSP versions over the GBA one anyway...the GBA spritework is just so messy in comparison.

Never owned a PSP so my options are either Origins on the PS1 or tracking down Dawn of Souls. Id rather find the GBA but if the cost is too great I'll just have to suck it up and get the PS1 port(which I hear is even worse).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Worst part of the FF7 translation is keeping Cait Sith in the game.

PS1 FF1 is the fixed version of the NES version and pretty different from the GBA version. No bonus dungeons, keeps spell charges and spell targeting the same. Still good, and there's an easy mode that gives you more spell charges and lets you level to 99. I prefer PS1 version but either is fine.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
replace cait sith with the more thematically appropriate Stabs-You-In-The-Back Untrustworthyson

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If going for a more authentic run of FF1 go with the PS1 version.

If you hate yourself while wanting to see how it all began play on the nes and find out that potions heal for 40 goddamn HP holy poo poo gently caress you ice cavern.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Barudak posted:

If going for a more authentic run of FF1 go with the PS1 version.

If you hate yourself while wanting to see how it all began play on the nes and find out that potions heal for 40 goddamn HP holy poo poo gently caress you ice cavern.

Man I used to have the NES FF Cart but pretty sure one of my old room mates ran off with it like he did my copy of Majora's Mask for N64. I also have FF on my Wii Virtual Console, the only real reason i'm trying to track one of these down is because of 2 which I have never played and has only gotten statewide release in a couple hard to get forms these days.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I knew FFX-2 starts with a ridiculous J-pop concert but when it came to I was still really embarrassed for myself.

Oh well, let's drink to a game I haven't played in ten years that has a killer class system! :rubshands:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I never use Yojimbo's Zanmato because it's stupid and I played the game to play a game, but the question stands. There's no actual drawback to using Zanmato if you're inclined to use it to make everything easy, and if you're willing to do that, why not just save scum until you get it for next to nothing. It's essentially a win cheat so double down on the cheating save yourself the aggro.

"Nerfing" Quick Hit shows they cared about game balance on a level but not enough to remove the win button or properly make it so Quick Hit isn't essentially your go-to ability.

So why bother when it has no impact on game balance for any person outside of yourself, who still uses the same move over and over?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 5, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've beaten FF1 and Dragon Warrior on the NES. I had a lot of free time as a kid.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've beaten FF1 and Dragon Warrior on the NES. I had a lot of free time as a kid.

I did the same and even tried to beat Ultima: Runes of Virtue but could never wrap my head around it as a kid.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DoubleCakes posted:

I knew FFX-2 starts with a ridiculous J-pop concert but when it came to I was still really embarrassed for myself.

Oh well, let's drink to a game I haven't played in ten years that has a killer class system! :rubshands:

what can I do for you? I. Can't. Hear. You.

Idk what you mean, best intro ever.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

FactsAreUseless posted:

The original FF is the first game I ever beat, and to this day I've beat it more than any other FF, most recently a month or so ago via the PSP version on my Vita :)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DoubleCakes posted:

Have you tried...not being ashamed of things you like? I know it's hard, goons are predisposed to deprecation of self and others, but it's very freeing if you manage it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

My only snag so far has been tracking down a copy of Dawn of Souls. Gamestop online had it before the holiday and now they don't which means after I get paid this weekend hitting the streets and hoping a local one has it in stock.

You can it on mobile as well. I don't think it adds anything that isn't in the GBA version.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dang! The fight against Flux Seymour was AWESOME.
I Game Over'ed on that fight twice at first but on a third try with some proper use of Hastega, Bio, Silence Buster and Protect he went down easily.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DoubleCakes posted:

Actually both Concerts in FFX-2 are cool and fun and set the tone for what the game wants to do. 1000 Words is one of the single best moments in FF history and actually succeeds at it's emotional goal which puts it way above most of the franchises writing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

He's still angry over a conversation from like a month ago

I get where he's coming from though. You made it sound like you shouldn't be able to enjoy FF7 because of the bad translation, when in fact, it's still a totally enjoyable game and much of the translation is still genuinely enjoyable if not totally accurate.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jack Trades posted:

Dang! The fight against Flux Seymour was AWESOME.
I Game Over'ed on that fight twice at first but on a third try with some proper use of Hastega, Bio, Silence Buster and Protect he went down easily.

Congrats on beating the game's hardest boss.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Have you tried...not being ashamed of things you like? I know it's hard, goons are predisposed to deprecation of self and others, but it's very freeing if you manage it

I'm usually not embarrassed though! This is the first time I've been embarrassed about a video game in quite some time.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually both Concerts in FFX-2 are cool and fun and set the tone for what the game wants to do. 1000 Words is one of the single best moments in FF history and actually succeeds at it's emotional goal which puts it way above most of the franchises writing.

I agree to this as well. FFX was a rather dire story with only small moments of comedy and wit to break the tension, so FFX-2 just being an upbeat poppy adventure is perfect. It works even better than the response of FF13-2 to FF13, where FF13-2 was, again, poppier than the original and the story was lighter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I get where he's coming from though. You made it sound like you shouldn't be able to enjoy FF7 because of the bad translation, when in fact, it's still a totally enjoyable game and much of the translation is still genuinely enjoyable if not totally accurate.

I don't think I've ever said or even implied that? Hell, if I said you couldn't enjoy a game because of a bad translation I wouldn't be recommending Escha & Logy every single time I get a chance!

The entire conversation started because I pointed out that "they're going to change things, I just know it" runs into the barrier of "they may not even be aware they're 'changing' things" and I don't think that's something unfair or means you can't enjoy the game. It just means going "i'm going to be SO ANGRY if they change (thing I liked)" runs into the risk of (thing I like) being legitimately something made up by a translator who probably hasn't worked for S-E in a decade.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think I've ever said or even implied that? Hell, if I said you couldn't enjoy a game because of a bad translation I wouldn't be recommending Escha & Logy every single time I get a chance!

Or Wild ARMS 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Or Wild ARMS 2.

To be fair in that case I recommend it because the translation is so awful it must be experienced.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I mean, on a philosophical level it doesn't even matter if a translator made something up. I mean, it does, but if the hypothetical product that came out at the other end was completely different but still of the highest quality, it'd still be good. I'll bet the grand majority of us played the game in English only. I know I did. It's that old tree in the forest situation. If everything in FFVII was internally coherent and written using snappy, witty and easy to understand language, of very high quality but made significant changes from the original Japanese, who among us could tell? The fact of FFVII's translation not being great is something you and I can tell from looking at the result. It's as plain as the nose on your face. If you can't tell or even disagree then bully for you, honestly, but the ordeals the translation team had to endure to ship the product is a matter of record and any issue that ensued as a result is understandable and forgivable but still present and real in the end. Doesn't mean the game isn't great but I can't lie, I wish VII got the V GBA treatment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I mean, on a philosophical level it doesn't even matter if a translator made something up.

It does when you're discussing a remake of the game and if that remake will maintain characterization or plot elements you enjoyed though. I mean it's perfectly fair to go "Yeah, I like the localized version more." (I'll say this about FFVGBA to use your example!) It's just that you really can't depend on a Japanese developer and writer having the same nostalgia, nor a translator having the same idea of what should/shouldn't be changed or localized.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Sure, I just mean in the abstract, like, if I'm playing a game right now and reading a sentence and the sentence is good and funny and I chuckled, whether it's a faithful adaptation of the original language or something made up from whole cloth doesn't matter at that moment in time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Sure, I just mean in the abstract, like, if I'm playing a game right now and reading a sentence and the sentence is good and funny and I chuckled, whether it's a faithful adaptation of the original language or something made up from whole cloth doesn't matter at that moment in time.

Yeah, that's entirely true. There's certainly some arguments to be made but there's also plenty of arguments that it doesn't overly matter. (Working Designs being a big example here, or something like Samurai Pizza Cats/Power Rangers if you want to talk about non-game stuff.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What's the game equivalent of Ghost Stories?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess something like Tales of Hearts R where they made the script a lot more comedic than the original release.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Final Fantasy V

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

kirbysuperstar posted:

I would play it whatever it is.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

Have fun, it really is the best in the series

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm usually not embarrassed though! This is the first time I've been embarrassed about a video game in quite some time.

Please tell us about why you are embarrassed by girls singing a song

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Speaking of FFX-2. I just realized that I missed 0.1% of story competition because I didn't want to marry a dude back in the first chapter (still finished the sidequest).

This is what I get for trying to get 100% on the first run :suicide:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tidus is a better singer than Yuna, see all the FF songs done using his laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Txn posted:

Speaking of FFX-2. I just realized that I missed 0.1% of story competition because I didn't want to marry a dude back in the first chapter (still finished the sidequest).

This is what I get for trying to get 100% on the first run :suicide:

That doesn't actually count for percentage.