Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, i think I have it. Is it the one where a psychiatrist does hypno therapy on a woman and reveals in a past life she was burnt as a witch, everyone is talking like they are at a Ren Faire. And the Psychiatrist inceptions her and gets stuck in the past with Satan...somehow? Black and White and Has the line "There, Sure glad I Don't look stupid in this" In regards to a helmet.

I don't remember the title though.

I don't know if it's the one Ballz is looking for, but you're describing The Undead, which is a pretty batshit crazy movie even by MST3K standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't know if it's the one Ballz is looking for, but you're describing The Undead, which is a pretty batshit crazy movie even by MST3K standards.

You know, I've never known more about what isn't going on in a movie.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Isn't it rats/Aren't we a corpse...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Diabolik900 posted:

You know, I don't think I've seen it in about 15 years, I always get it mixed up in my head with The Thing That Couldn't Die. But my Dad's hardly seen any Sci Fi era, so I doubt it's that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Has anyone tried using a razor blade in a glass yet?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Isn't it rats/Aren't we a corpse...

I loved this bit:

Tom: Hey Mike, you know sometimes Smolken is naked.
Mike: drat you, Servo.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I got my postcards today, now i need to decide if I want to get them framed now or wait until I get the patches.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Is there a particular episode you'd suggest for introducing someone to the show, when you know they're a bit nonplussed on riffing in general?

My girlfriend has enjoyed podcasts like We Hate Movies on occasion, especially when they're being clever or quipping puns. I know she'd enjoy the robots and the friendly dynamic of their riffs and host segments, but getting her hooked on a full episode would take an accessible and likable (in that "aw, they're trying so hard" sort of way) movie.

Time Chasers and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank came to mind, and perhaps Pumaman or Final Sacrifice. Anything else jump out as a particularly "charming" MST3K ep for a new viewer?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Space Mutiny
Warrior of the Lost World
Pod People
Prince of Space
Touch of Satan
Master Ninja I & II
Fugitive Alien I & II
Lassie: The Painted Hills
The Brain That Wouldn't Die

I could go on. If she doesn't like any of those I'd say it's a lost cause.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kalensc posted:

Is there a particular episode you'd suggest for introducing someone to the show, when you know they're a bit nonplussed on riffing in general?

My girlfriend has enjoyed podcasts like We Hate Movies on occasion, especially when they're being clever or quipping puns. I know she'd enjoy the robots and the friendly dynamic of their riffs and host segments, but getting her hooked on a full episode would take an accessible and likable (in that "aw, they're trying so hard" sort of way) movie.

Time Chasers and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank came to mind, and perhaps Pumaman or Final Sacrifice. Anything else jump out as a particularly "charming" MST3K ep for a new viewer?

My first MST3K was Revenge of the Creature, and I maintain it's a great introduction to the series as a whole. The running "Tributary of the Amazon" riffs throughout the beginning are kind of clever in how ridiculous they keep getting, and little riffs like the dog being super attached to his owner ("Riss off, ruster!") and "HE SEEMS TO PREFER HONEY NUT CHEERIOS" had me rolling at the time.

Space Mutiny might work even better, though. 80s movies tend to be easier to get into since that kind of vibe is still "in," so to speak.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I first got introduced to MST through their Gamera riffs, personally, but I had a preexisting affinity for giant monster movies.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I would try maybe Quest of the Delta Knights, although it's been a while and I can't remember how the SciFi years' host segment continuity might leave her a little lost in that one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't go wrong with shorts. Nice bite-size chunks, no plot to follow, no host interstitials.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Space Mutiny or Pumaman would be my suggestions. Pumaman managed to grab a bunch of my RPG group who'd never heard of the show when I had it on while we were setting up for the game.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Scream Factory is releasing a blu-ray version of The Screaming Skull. I hope they include the episode as an extra.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I've always found The Movie to be pretty accessable.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Seconding the shorts.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll agree with Revenge of the Creature. It kind of resets the series so new people can get eased in to it. Plus it's a classic "rubber" monster movie that people expect with this sort of thing. That said I'm a little older than average so it's the kind of movie I think of when I think of MST3k. Someone younger might be happier with Space Mutiny which would be a good alternate choice.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

I've always found The Movie to be pretty accessable.

Agreed.

Space Mutiny seems to be a popular recommendation, but when I tried using it the seemingly seven hour long intro sketch turned some people off. A flaw in the SciFi years.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I'll agree with Revenge of the Creature. It kind of resets the series so new people can get eased in to it. Plus it's a classic "rubber" monster movie that people expect with this sort of thing. That said I'm a little older than average so it's the kind of movie I think of when I think of MST3k. Someone younger might be happier with Space Mutiny which would be a good alternate choice.

I also love Revenge of the Creature, but for whatever reason it's not considered a particularly great episode. I think a key to easing someone into MST3K is to choose a movie that they would otherwise be comfortable with even without the riffing. So someone who loves 50's monster movies would be good with Revenge of the Creature as an introduction; someone who loves giant monster movies might enjoy Gamera episodes, or Gorgo; someone who likes cop movies would enjoy Mitchell, etc.

just for the record, starting people off with stuff like Manos is a bad idea IMO

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Angel's Revenge. The movie's already absurd, so the riffing just enhances it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

HannibalBarca posted:

just for the record, starting people off with stuff like Manos is a bad idea IMO

Unless they like bad movies. I've got a few people into MST3K with Manos after I found out they loved poo poo like The Room or Birdemic but inexplicably had never watched MST3k.

I find that Prince of Space works for everyone else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Final Sacrifice because practically every riff is gold and all the host segments are funny.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
We ended up watching a bunch of the "why we love it" compilations to get a feel for it. She dug the creative set designs and robots, and liked Servo's puns and sense of humor. Pumaman and Time Chasers got some strong laughs, and Manos prompted "...how is that a movie?".

Next we'll check Coily the Spring and other shorts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kalensc posted:

We ended up watching a bunch of the "why we love it" compilations to get a feel for it. She dug the creative set designs and robots, and liked Servo's puns and sense of humor. Pumaman and Time Chasers got some strong laughs, and Manos prompted "...how is that a movie?".

Next we'll check Coily the Spring and other shorts.

Compilation is a good idea too.

I think shorts are a good way to introduce someone because they're far less daunting. "Here's 10 minutes of the core conceit of the show" vs. "Watch this episode from Season 9. Uhhh, ignore the first 10 minutes or so before they go into the movie theater though. And they're going to do several skits and stuff in the middle. And it's two hours long."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone put up the original version of Mr. B. Natural on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdCrV14l658

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Diabolik900 posted:

STAY!!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GO!!!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
SLEEEEEEEEEEP

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have a lot of gaps in my watching of Joel episodes and watched Operation Double 007 last night till I fell asleep about the half way mark. Definitely off the bat, I think the editing they did for the show makes the movie several times less comprehensible. Every time some thing major is happening, they cut away and when they cut back, the movie is onto a new thing with little explanation. I don't know if the movies is BETTER without the cuts, the but it makes zero sense how it goes from thing to thing. That said, the episode is pretty drat funny and I loving loved the first host segment with Joel strutting around like the weird creepy bad guy caressing all this female servants. The whole time I was assuming that not-Sean Connery was going to be a spy but no, he's just a loving weird creepy doctor. Also the the ease with which people just die and get killed in the movie is bonkers. Really funny episode, gonna finish it tonight.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mace Bacon posted:

SLEEEEEEEEEEP

IN HEAVENLY PEEEACE!

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Mace Bacon posted:

SLEEEEEEEEEEP

Okay here we go...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MY GOD, DAVID!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
God damnit Operation double 007 is a great episode. Unexpected torgo, too.

"I know"

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Oh, no! She's...

... Ew, she fat. Eugh.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

For people who did the Kickstarter, you should probably check your mail.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

For people who did the Kickstarter, you should probably check your mail.

I don't see anything and I am a backer.

Edit: Mail or email?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TL posted:

I don't see anything and I am a backer.

Edit: Mail or email?

Same, I don't see an email or an update on the KS site. Last email I got was on the 2nd.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of kickstarter, I didn't actually do the kickstarter but my wife bought me some of the postcards on the off-site extras thing (remember that? I forgot what they called it) and we have yet to receive them or even i think get an email about when we can maybe expect them. Anyone know anything about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of kickstarter, I didn't actually do the kickstarter but my wife bought me some of the postcards on the off-site extras thing (remember that? I forgot what they called it) and we have yet to receive them or even i think get an email about when we can maybe expect them. Anyone know anything about that?

Here's the schedule for when different rewards are supposed to be going out: http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/rewards/#schedule

Postcards are part of the December/January shipment, so you should get them before too long. It seems like their fulfillment is a little slow though. People started reporting that they got shipment notifications around Christmas, whereas I just got mine this past weekend, and some people (like your wife, obviously) are still waiting.

Also, the Add-On Rewards you mentioned are still actually available if anyone's still interested in ordering. I just preordered the blu-ray set about a week ago. https://mst3k.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders