Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

all the Walmarts/Targets around here have bare TF sections, except for the few RID 1 step changers and oddly enough, all the wave 3 Titan Masters. I am so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's just after Christmas. They won't start a full restock for a bit yet.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It's just after Christmas. They won't start a full restock for a bit yet.

I just hope they put TR Leader class stuff back in, cause for a while, now, Targets have had a huge section of the Leader sized RID stuff (whatever they call that class for RID)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Daaku Shinsei posted:

I just hope they put TR Leader class stuff back in, cause for a while, now, Targets have had a huge section of the Leader sized RID stuff (whatever they call that class for RID)

Well that may not happen. A few weeks ago they put out a release stating that the entire TR line was sold out at Hasbro. I've been unable to restock anything except the wave two deluxes since the first week of November. If you want him you should grab one from Amazon while you can.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a friend who works at the nearby Walmart distribution center and he confirms the only TF product they've received in weeks has been RID and Rescue Bots.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why not order stuff online?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Not pictured: Strangehamster's cart, full of everything that used to be on those pegs. Three children crying nearby because they wanted some toys.

You monster!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

THRILL OF THE HUNT

Edit: Well drat, those new Voltron lions are sold out at the manufacturer, distributor and probably retail as well. Just had a dude message me n FB asking if I wanted to sell my set as they're spiking in price like crazy.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 5, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

THRILL OF THE HUNT

Edit: Well drat, those new Voltron lions are sold out at the manufacturer, distributor and probably retail as well. Just had a dude message me n FB asking if I wanted to sell my set as they're spiking in price like crazy.

Season 2 hits in a couple of weeks and everyone's excited to see their Klance ships rise to fruition.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
My favorite TF when I was a little girl was Fortress Maximus. I don't know why, maybe just because it was a My Size Transformer or some poo poo.

I buy like... one Transformer a year or so, maybe. I don't usually read reviews, so I'm generally sold on cool pictures. So, I snatched up a $75 TR FortMax from Entertainment Earth. I'm kinda disappointed. Like, obviously he looks better. Way more photogenic, especially after the decals are put on.

But there are so many places where he just feels cheaper. "Emissary" is weaksauce compared to the original Spike. He used to have articulation. Cerebros got a bit of an upgrade with the electronics inside and more details in the mold, but the hands are static and visible at all times, even when operating as FortMax's head. The "road" bits behind the arms feel floppy because they can no longer attach to the arms to hold in place. The cool, nerdy elevator in the middle of him is gone. The tower made from the torso cannons (which are now gone) now involves Cerebros and looks less like ... anything. Hell, all the "base modes" look cheap and gross and are floppy as gently caress. Plus one of the feet won't stay locked in while in base mode so gently caress me right? He doesn't even come with guns for his hands to hold, what the gently caress?

I guess the best thing about TR Fortress Maximus is that he can flip off stuff. But be careful, because he also is unbalanced as hell, and will probably fall if the wind hits him the wrong way.

Is there at least an addon kit that fills in some of the missing poo poo from the OG FortMax release? Guns, Cog, Gasket, Grommet? Maybe a sweet sword?

tl;dr
TR FortMax is a disappointment if G1 FortMax was part of your childhood.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

One of my local Wal-Marts looks like that too. TRU was pretty sparse as well.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Ugh I don't know to focus my money on MPs/3rd Parties or on CW, TR, and Generations...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a $15 off $75 ebay coupon, CNEWYEAR15OFF that I just used to get the second TFM Stunticon Carnage for $70 shipped. I believe it expires tonight so if you have anything on your radar this is a good excuse to get it. Sadly one user per account.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno. I just don't see the point in wasting money on characters I figure Takara or Hasbro is gonna get to eventually. Which is pretty much everyone from the first few years of G1. If I have to wait a few years, so be it.

The animus for third party toys seems to have gone from "this is stuff Hasbro will never do so we'll just do it ourselves" to "I'll buy this to hold me over it comes out officially" and... I just don't have the money or attachment to the G1 cast to throw around for that, personally. That being said, a lot of you guys seem to like them for the sake of the engineering, so I don't want to disparage that. You guys do you, and all that.

I think the odds that Takara will ever get around to MP versions of the other four Dinobots or the Headmasters or Omega Supreme are pretty slim. The rumors continue to swirl that MP Combaticons are in the pipeline somewhere, but those are getting to be three year old rumors at this point. On top of that, while Takara's product is always top notch, I really don't see Takara outdoing Fans Toys on anything any time soon. I can't imagine what kind of improvements would need to be made for me to buy Takara Dinobots or Insecticons to replace my Fans Toys ones. They're exceptional representations of the characters already.

And of course one of the key reasons I started buying the FP Dinobots was because they were properly scaled to MP-10, whereas MP Grimlock is not. Takara can continue to hit it out of the park with the cars and I'll continue to rely on the 3P companies for the bigger guys like Omega and Jetfire. On my shelf, at least, it's a symbiosis, not a competition.

quote:

That being said, there's also TFW's mentality of supporting third party for the sake of sticking it to "the man" and nothing else. Hasbro and Takara gave us real combiners and updates of characters that would have been too obscure ago, but their standards have shrunk so narrow they'll shovel out hundreds of dollars for something they can buy for 12 dollars at Wal-Mart. I don't get these people at all.

This is super weird, I agree. Hasbro is doing a great, great job of pulling deep cuts out of the vault the last few years. This is the best any main retail line has been since RotF, I'd say.

featurecreep posted:

My favorite TF when I was a little girl was Fortress Maximus. I don't know why, maybe just because it was a My Size Transformer or some poo poo.

I buy like... one Transformer a year or so, maybe. I don't usually read reviews, so I'm generally sold on cool pictures. So, I snatched up a $75 TR FortMax from Entertainment Earth. I'm kinda disappointed. Like, obviously he looks better. Way more photogenic, especially after the decals are put on.

But there are so many places where he just feels cheaper. "Emissary" is weaksauce compared to the original Spike. He used to have articulation. Cerebros got a bit of an upgrade with the electronics inside and more details in the mold, but the hands are static and visible at all times, even when operating as FortMax's head. The "road" bits behind the arms feel floppy because they can no longer attach to the arms to hold in place. The cool, nerdy elevator in the middle of him is gone. The tower made from the torso cannons (which are now gone) now involves Cerebros and looks less like ... anything. Hell, all the "base modes" look cheap and gross and are floppy as gently caress. Plus one of the feet won't stay locked in while in base mode so gently caress me right? He doesn't even come with guns for his hands to hold, what the gently caress?

I guess the best thing about TR Fortress Maximus is that he can flip off stuff. But be careful, because he also is unbalanced as hell, and will probably fall if the wind hits him the wrong way.

Is there at least an addon kit that fills in some of the missing poo poo from the OG FortMax release? Guns, Cog, Gasket, Grommet? Maybe a sweet sword?

tl;dr
TR FortMax is a disappointment if G1 FortMax was part of your childhood.

I don't really know what you mean about Spike's articulation versus Emissary's (Emissary may not be able to move his legs independent of one another, but the ball jointed arms and head make up for that), but I agree with the rest. He's a nice idea, cleverly kludged out of a retooled Metroplex, but he lacks a lot of the fun little tricks and gadgets of the G1 figure.

If you still want a sword and rifle for him, either track down the Perfect Effect sword (tad hard to find now) and/or rifle (just came out), or slap a preorder down on Professor Heisenberg's set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

If you still want a sword and rifle for him, either track down the Perfect Effect sword (tad hard to find now) and/or rifle (just came out), or slap a preorder down on Professor Heisenberg's set.

I preordered this before we saw the finished product and I'm glad I did because I have a feeling that it will be very hard to find in the future.

Edit: Giggle

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 6, 2017

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I preordered this before we saw the finished product and I'm glad I did because I have a feeling that it will be very hard to find in the future.

Yeah given the choice between Heisenberg and PE, I think Heisenberg's is the better set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

Yeah given the choice between Heisenberg and PE, I think Heisenberg's is the better set.

I don't think the PE kit has a tiny sword for Cerebros so that was the decision maker for me.

Jesus Christ I have so much poo poo coming in this month.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Secret Santa package arrived today!
From across the pond, I get equipped with a tiny Optimash Prime (which my wife claimed instantly! The plague spreads), a huge Malteser shaped like a reindeer, and holy poo poo Transmetal 2 Scourge. God, I haven't seen that packaging in nearly twenty years. I remember debating with myself in the toy aisle at Zellers which of those guys to buy. Awesome gifts, The Doctor. Once again imma have to step my game up for next year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I passed on MP Dinobots because Grimlock is the only one I really need. Plus, they're huge. Also, I like Omega Supreme and all, but not so much that I want to spend half a grand on one that I can't really fit anywhere because he's enormous.

For MPs, I mostly just want characters I deem "important" or noteworthy, or ones that I find cool that are within reason. Like, for instance, I didn't really "need" Blue Bluestreak or G2 Sideswipe, but I thought they were neat, weren't insanely expensive and don't take up much shelf space. Sunstorm on the other hand, I'm like "nah."

I have Chromedome and Star Saber, but I think they're going to be the only post-1986 G1 characters I ever get in MP form unless they make a God Ginrai, who I will immediately need. Same with G2 tank Megatron.

Granted, it's not like I have anything against characters that aren't from '84-'86 and Beast Wars, it's just that they're not high on my priority list because they didn't have an accompanying TV show so I don't have much of a connection. (Or if they did, they were Japan-only animes that sucked anyway.) After all, my Transformers nostalgia is mainly for the G1 and Beast Wars cartoons and not much else. I just kinda cherry-pick everything else.

Although speaking of that, that Fans Hobby RiD Scourge \ Nemesis Prime does look pretty cool. I always did kinda like that design.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't been able to decide which MP style Dinobots I want and nobody I know locally has any of the 3P ones for me to personally fiddle with.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I don't think the PE kit has a tiny sword for Cerebros so that was the decision maker for me.

Jesus Christ I have so much poo poo coming in this month.

The PE kit does, but it's part of the big sword. You have to unplug the top part of the blade and stick it into a smaller hilt that Cerebros can hold. The fit is really tight so it's kind of a pain.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

WickedHate posted:

I got a Cosmos with 2 right arms

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh by the way I think I should mention that I was partly involved yesterday in a Tumblr argument that has finally resulted in getting the ball rolling for a GoBots spinoff of TFWiki with loads of resources and good-rear end XML. I'll post more info when I have it but please consider helping to contribute!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh by the way I think I should mention that I was partly involved yesterday in a Tumblr argument that has finally resulted in getting the ball rolling for a GoBots spinoff of TFWiki with loads of resources and good-rear end XML. I'll post more info when I have it but please consider helping to contribute!

this website has an extensive documentation on the gobots show. extensively and readably summarizes each episode, mentions which sci-fi concepts the episodes involve (and poo poo gets crazy), documents which characters appear in each episode.

Also has on another page something similar for Machine Robo, though he found that to be more boring and formulaic.

What's kind of funny is this guy also does Classic Dr Who episode reviews too... but not every episode and they're a sentence each, there's not the care in them that the reviews of the gobots cartoon has.

also apparently the show is on dvd now and I've seen place have more clear screenshots than what there used to be available, can't find it atm.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't like buying things without seeing them in person first, especially with something as physical as a transformer.

Also if I start buying everything online it'll never end and my wallet can't handle that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

That person sure was adamant that Go-Bots were the "poor kid" option and their lack of presence on the wiki was due to class conflict, when every bit of documentation I've seen indicates TFs and Go-Bots were priced similarly.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
TFs just used thicker plastics. Go-bots back then felt like TFs do now, very thin and fragile with a few exceptions.

TFs also looked slightly less wonky then Go-bots. And I can't remember but like two Go-bots that had weapons they could hold in their hands.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

So if this is to be believed there are downsized CW Seekers on the way.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...1de4df7d0&tpp=1

18cm is like 7 inches so Deluxed sized? If these are not terrible I could see them replacing my CHUG Seekers I have on display.
Apparently those pictures are taken from seibertron.com of the regular figures so buyer beware, no one knows exactly what the downsized ones are like yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phy posted:

My Secret Santa package arrived today!
From across the pond, I get equipped with a tiny Optimash Prime (which my wife claimed instantly! The plague spreads), a huge Malteser shaped like a reindeer, and holy poo poo Transmetal 2 Scourge. God, I haven't seen that packaging in nearly twenty years. I remember debating with myself in the toy aisle at Zellers which of those guys to buy. Awesome gifts, The Doctor. Once again imma have to step my game up for next year.

Hurrah! I was literally just wondering if they'd got there or lost in the mail.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TFRazorsaw posted:

That person sure was adamant that Go-Bots were the "poor kid" option and their lack of presence on the wiki was due to class conflict, when every bit of documentation I've seen indicates TFs and Go-Bots were priced similarly.

Go-bots ended up on heavier discount once they became the also-ran option.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well that's due to the franchise failing to catch on

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

DoctorWhat posted:

Go-bots ended up on heavier discount once they became the also-ran option.

They were also found more often in "poor family" stores, if that makes any sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

They were also found more often in "poor family" stores, if that makes any sense.

Can confirm, would get Gobots a hell of a lot more often (while still not that often) than actual TFs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gee factory theft buddy couldn't you take a better picture at least.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

apparently Krok and Quake's Titan Masters are Gatorface and Chasm.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

well that's due to the franchise failing to catch on

They caught on pretty well early on thanks to their head start, but once Transformers showed up near the end of 1984, GoBots were left in the dust. Transformers were bigger, more durable (important to a kid who had broken three of those drat Cop-Tur blades already), had more variety, and perhaps most importantly had a way better TV show.

I never shifted over to GoBot hate, though. I still have a shoebox of all my old GoBots, and I have been collecting those "MP" Machine Robos, which tend to be shockingly good. Eagle Robo is one of the best jet alt modes I have ever seen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Go-Bots look and sound like pre-school versions of the Transformers, and their Hannah-Barbara cartoon was...a Hannah-Barbara cartoon, so, you know.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

WickedHate posted:

Go-Bots look and sound like pre-school versions of the Transformers, and their Hannah-Barbara cartoon was...a Hannah-Barbara cartoon, so, you know.

I can't think of anything about the toys that screams "pre-school." What are you saying, exactly? Are you just talking about the cartoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Gobots cartoon sucked butt, although I like some of the toys. Honestly, they're pretty similar to G1 Transformers in terms of build quality, it's just that many of them look kinda... derpy. But it's charming derp. Like Rock Lords. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? You kind of have to appreciate an idea as stupid as rock lords.

And there's a huge variety of vehicles that Transformers almost never does, like dump trucks, limos, forklifts and so on. Transformers mainly has a ton of sports cars and fighter jets. That said... sports cars and fighter jets are cool, whereas dump trucks and station wagons aren't... so that might explain a lot.

Also I know I just said I don't really care about MPs that aren't 84/85/86 G1 or Beast Wars but Master Builder is making me into a liar with their Scourge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_oDDWsxak