Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

HellCopter posted:

Is there any way to get SPLithium faster? I'm excited to get my Death Burner but geez 25k SPL.

Dedicate a couple of hours to raiding others. If you're lucky you'll find people with heaps of SPL and no defenses to speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pigbottom posted:

Apparently in Germany you need psn plus to download this. Anyone in Europe has been able to download it without psn plus?

From a page ago but the devs have said that they can't get around the PS+ requirement in Germany and some other European countries.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HoneyBoy posted:

I got two Wire Mountains from one run through 6f Jin-Die, seemed pretty funny, I thought they were 11-20 upgrade mats.

Either way it let me get my 1-star armor to 2-star, which I actually have a question about.

Is it better to keep upgrading my 1-star armor or just start with base gear for every tier?

The split point actually makes it a separate purchaseable item in the store. You can buy either the 1-star version, maxed out, or the 2-star one. Once you get 2-star gear there's no more upgrades for the 1-star variant.

I dunno if the 2-star blueprints are better than upgraded ones, but they seem comparable to me so far.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

HellCopter posted:

Is there any way to get SPLithium faster? I'm excited to get my Death Burner but geez 25k SPL.

As others have said, raiding. Additionally, if you can push your TDM rank above 1000, then the bonus for a successful raid increases from 800/800 to 2000/2000, which drastically speeds up resource acquisition.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

HellCopter posted:

Generally, armor that has been boosted from a lower tier into a higher tier will have better stats than armor that started at the higher tier.
The flat slash/blunt/ranged damage reduction might not be huge, but the raw defense stat will be worth it.

Dewgy posted:

The split point actually makes it a separate purchaseable item in the store. You can buy either the 1-star version, maxed out, or the 2-star one. Once you get 2-star gear there's no more upgrades for the 1-star variant.

I dunno if the 2-star blueprints are better than upgraded ones, but they seem comparable to me so far.

Sweet, good to know I wasn't wasting my time then haha, thanks

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

HoneyBoy posted:

I got two Wire Mountains from one run through 6f Jin-Die, seemed pretty funny, I thought they were 11-20 upgrade mats.

Either way it let me get my 1-star armor to 2-star, which I actually have a question about.

Is it better to keep upgrading my 1-star armor or just start with base gear for every tier?

So there's a couple ways to think about it. Taking a 1-star armor to 3-star will give you armor comparable to the upper +'s of base 3-star armor. But every (as far as I know) item right now ends at +4 of the third tier, this means that 1-star armor is going to stop at +4 third tier (3-star). It's pretty fast to get a 1-star base to 3-star since the first tier usually doesn't use colored metals and you skip entirely over using black metals. So you can get a pretty good set of armor for no black metals and save those for weapons at first. Then when your weapons have moved on to red metal you can come back and work on some 3-star base armor, which will end up ultimately a fair bit stronger than the other stuff.

So to shorten all that I think it's a good idea to take a piece of 1-star for each slot to 3-star, save black metals for weapons, then work on another set of 3-star base armor sometime later.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Question for the folks who've done a lot of these quests, but when the game says you have to kill every enemy on a floor, does that mean that -you- have to score the final hit on everyone? I ask because Haters/Hunters keep ending wayward Screamers and it's driving my friend up the wall.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yes that is what it means.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Oh, that's going to suck for him to hear, I just kinda ignore those quests because they seem kinda not worth it so far. I've only hit up to 14F, for reference.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Accepting those quests should really flag the named floors against spawning Haters.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Accepting those quests should really flag the named floors against spawning Haters.

No. Instead success should trigger on "everything died" instead of "player killed everything".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's a solution, too, but it also means you don't have to kill everything yourself, you can just let YKY5000@Mitch wipe out a room of mooks for you.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They should count hater kills but include a time requirement. I know it's trading one evil for another but at least those quests would be consistent.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

This thread's been a big help to me, so I'll mention that today Okusa is open, but that's not all- if you take this path: 33F Togose to 32F Katsuma, kill U-10, then go up to 33F Uchinoibu (or Uchinoisu, hard to read it), down to 32F Koshi-yama, then down to 31F Itsu-Tsukumo, you can go up to 33F Kurome then take the dark blue line to 35F to unlock 5 star fighters without killing Coen. I'm thinking with a 5 star striker Coen won't stand a chance, a 4 star defender with only 1 death burner iron and a few busted up pork choppers (from going through U-10 to get to him) couldn't beat him even with shroom cheese, though I may just not be good enough at the game to win without overpowering force, admittedly.

(EDIT) Gets better from there, too - you can get up to 39F and if you run for your life from every fight and chow down on a bunch of guard shrooms like I did, you can make it to the elevator. I just barely managed to turn it on when my guard shrooms ran out and I got motor psychoed for 2k damage to my death. I believe this is the same path FrickenMoron was referring to.

Jack Van Burace fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 6, 2017

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Holy poo poo, so I'd made the 3-star Red Hot Iron at +2 already but haven't had a chance to use it.

But just now, I feel filthy for what I did to that spider mini-boss in two hits, holy gently caress.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I should mention I'm playing really rushed right now and kinda sloppy, and this upgraded gear is saving my rear end, the machete just cleaves through the whole floor.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Bah, made it to 30F but really don't want to grind up a 3 star weapon before taking on the boss and unlocking the new tier of weaponry.
Can you get by killing him with 2 star irons?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yup. I recall he died in like 10 seconds too.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Megaflare posted:

Yup. I recall he died in like 10 seconds too.

Hahaha wow, yeah. My friend was telling me how much trouble he was having using assault rifles and used like 5 whittling him down to 40% health
He died to half of an iron and a sting shroom
I'd feel comfortable farming that boss

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's also using transparungus to make most bosses completely open to your attacks. It was almost disgusting how Johnny-DIE went down.

Also was not expecting the third layer aesthetics to be abandoned medieval fun park. Kind of a neat twist to the usual.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Went to open my 20 hour box today and saw its colors were only transitioning between silver and gold, as opposed to the usual bronze, silver, and blue. Anyone know yet what controls this and which items come with which colors?

BTW super excited for the two fights coming up for California! My TDM rank is so low but my rank 2 fighters are pumped.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I took the plunge and got the psn plus. This game is super fun and addictive it was pretty worth it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just skimmed the OP, and a few comments and decided it's worth trying. It's free(although I don't really understand it's F2P model. Does spending money just make things a little more convienent, or is it necessary to experience more content?) so why not? Downloading now. I have a busy gaming weekend, want to finish up Blood and Wine, start Witcher 2, do some Rocket League and also get more into Overwatch, but I bet I can work it in.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Pigbottom posted:

I took the plunge and got the psn plus. This game is super fun and addictive it was pretty worth it.
Er, wait, I thought everything in this game was free even without PSN+?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
In some regions, including Germany, you need PS+ to get the game.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Does spending money just make things a little more convienent, or is it necessary to experience more content?

It's a convenience thing, there's no content gated behind transactions.

You can pay for more instant resurrection items and packages of health / upgrade items. The game's daily drops are fairly generous with these though, so unless you're burning through them at a rate of knots you should be fine.

The asynchronous multiplayer means there's no surefire Pay to Win gimmicks either which is great!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, that's good although still a little confusing. Since I haven't played yet I'm not sure the exact definition of health/upgrade items. As in to make your character permanently stronger? Or more like health potion sort of stuff? Either way at this point that doesn't sound bad. I probably just need to play it and find out what all that's about. It just finished it's download, so I'll give it a go at some point when I wake up tomorrow(later today).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Jesus, Jin-die arenas are dangerous. I dodged off a ledge to my death just as I killed her.

I knew I could beat that ugly piece of poo poo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, that's good although still a little confusing. Since I haven't played yet I'm not sure the exact definition of health/upgrade items. As in to make your character permanently stronger? Or more like health potion sort of stuff? Either way at this point that doesn't sound bad. I probably just need to play it and find out what all that's about. It just finished it's download, so I'll give it a go at some point when I wake up tomorrow(later today).

You cannot pay to win in this. The only irl money thing is more continues so you can keep trying the same floor. Everything else is convenient. More storage, free elevator/train rides, things like that. You can't directly affect your character or skills or gear.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Does anyone know where the blueprints for the machete and iron drop? I've gone as far as the beginning of floor 6 so far. Do I just need to progress more before they start dropping? I got the hammer blueprint to +4 and have been using that as my main weapon. Seems quite strong. I've also been focusing on raiding so that I can upgrade my freezer and the 2 banks. Bathroom doesn't seem worth it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HotBobaloo posted:

Does anyone know where the blueprints for the machete and iron drop? I've gone as far as the beginning of floor 6 so far. Do I just need to progress more before they start dropping? I got the hammer blueprint to +4 and have been using that as my main weapon. Seems quite strong. I've also been focusing on raiding so that I can upgrade my freezer and the 2 banks. Bathroom doesn't seem worth it.

My experience has been that machete and iron drop on floors 5 and 6.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

HotBobaloo posted:

You've got the right idea with the upgrades. If you capture someone else's fighter, you're just painting a huge target on yourself and will get raided for the rescue basically immediately, in my experience. Freezer and the banks will only help you as you go along.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
A lot of talk about how amazing the Iron is on this page

Meanwhile yet another Heimo-Jima day is close to over and that stupid goddamn shop owner had nothing for my hours of farming but more stupid 1star armor for 60-120k

I guess I can look forward to a few more days of collecting every other tier 1 blueprint in the game as I stagger brainlessly through floors 6 to 10 again

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I wanted to see how much I'd get so I deleted one of my maxed grade 5s. ~90k SPL. And you can easily max multiple grade 5s on okusa days just with snails from expeditions so... yeah!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

I've suddenly hit a wall of 4-star+ haters across early levels with weapons that one-shot my high level 3-stars no problem. What dictates the level variance of haters that appear in your game because I feel like I've screwed the pooch hard on this one.

I guess I'm going to have to push for the skip to get 4-star fighters, because right now levelling is becoming tricky. Can somebody please post a reminder on how to do this?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

You should only be getting haters for your star rating until you buy your first fighter of the next tier. If their max is only a little bit higher than yours, they are still 3-star, just have some extra attributes. The difference between 3-star and 4-star is like 76 and ~100. You're saying you're seeing haters at around level 100?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Megaflare posted:

You should only be getting haters for your star rating until you buy your first fighter of the next tier. If their max is only a little bit higher than yours, they are still 3-star, just have some extra attributes. The difference between 3-star and 4-star is like 76 and ~100. You're saying you're seeing haters at around level 100?

Yep! One hit me with some sort of electricity gun and the other had a rapier that hit for 1800 damage. Their health bars are highlighted in red and my highest level fighter is 76.
I've been spending a fair amount in TDM though so I don't know if that might affect it?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Do you have a full stable of rank 3 fighters? Perhaps you're encountering players that purchased a rank 4 fighter and deleted their others, so that they could artificially deflate their rank.

I'm not sure the gap in player rank can get that small though

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

Yep! One hit me with some sort of electricity gun and the other had a rapier that hit for 1800 damage. Their health bars are highlighted in red and my highest level fighter is 76.
I've been spending a fair amount in TDM though so I don't know if that might affect it?

Oh. Those are hunters from expeditions, yes. Probably had you in their revenge list and progressed past you or maybe you're currently in a fight. I see fighters that aren't 5 star in my list very very rarely so there's probably some other consideration too.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Uh, yeah... so I happened upon both the BP and mats to a Priest's Gown. 189 Defense before 20F sounds stupid good, though it requires Candle Wolf Greens to upgrade. Should I max the gently caress out of it or save my greens?

Same for finding the Sniper Rifle BP which needs Hovering Metals for upgrades.

• Locked thread