Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

iospace posted:

And until they actually hand out a punishment that actually carries heft and not just a slap on the wrist, it'll continue to happen.

They can't. There was plenty of talk inside the NCAA if they even had the authority to punish Penn State because they can only enforce competition rules. SMU did violate competition rules. Penn State did not. Baylor, I think, didn't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sash! posted:

They can't. There was plenty of talk inside the NCAA if they even had the authority to punish Penn State because they can only enforce competition rules. SMU did violate competition rules. Penn State did not. Baylor, I think, didn't either.

Ah, ok. Still poo poo though and allows stupid drivel like the PSU comeback narrative.

Unrelated: Challenge time! Rank the "big name" sports personalities (for clarification: has their own show, is a ATH regular, or is a network's #1 broadcast team for a given sport), the size of their egos, and a comparable object. I may throw in an avatar for the best one. ;)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Starting the 15th, UFC will have Todd Grisham of all people on play-by-play and doing some studio work. Sounds like he's not Goldberg's replacement though.

iospace posted:

Unrelated: Challenge time! Rank the "big name" sports personalities (for clarification: has their own show, is a ATH regular, or is a network's #1 broadcast team for a given sport), the size of their egos, and a comparable object. I may throw in an avatar for the best one. ;)

Jason Whitlock's ego is almost as big as Jason Whitlock.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did they mention it was Goldberg's last show on the weekend at all during the broadcast?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

algebra testes posted:

Did they mention it was Goldberg's last show on the weekend at all during the broadcast?

He had about 3 seconds to cram in "I'm Mike Goldberg don't forget me please" at the very end of the event

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mahoning posted:

Great, now we're gonna get talking heads on FS1 saying that basketball isn't being played the way James Naismith intended.

Honestly I'm all in favor of bringing back the ladder to the NBA.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Chris Berman retirement news is finally official

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/817059575908204548

He's going to stick around in a reduced role

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vertical Lime posted:

You know, I'll miss the guy in a way. He was good at doing highlights, but really not much else.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

Probably means he'll still be covering the Masters.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably means he'll still be covering the Masters.

... I can not see Chris Berman covering golf. At all. He's way too excitable for it!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

iospace posted:

You know, I'll miss the guy in a way. He was good at doing highlights, but really not much else.

I'm crossposting this here because he wasn't the same after NBC's contract meant an end to NFL Primetime

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

I'm crossposting this here because he wasn't the same after NBC's contract meant an end to NFL Primetime

Whoa, what's that from?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol yeah, sure Chris, Primetime made football famous and people would ALWAYS tell you it made them a football fan.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Whoa, what's that from?

probably that Oral History of ESPN book

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Primetime was a really big deal, even if he is exaggerating here

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah chris is definitely bullshitting a bit on that last line but Primetime was a pretty huge show.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It's also what really put Berman on the map, moreso than any of the other things he did at ESPN, which was a lot since he's been there since the jumpoff. It's also why there were serious rumors/consideration towards Berman going to NBC the last time his contract was up, since it'd let him take the Dan Patrick role of their SNF coverage, which effectively replaced Primetime.

Odds are Trey Wingo will take over all of their coverage, which makes as much sense as anything, and Berman will come and go as he pleases. I know he's far past his prime and has become a characture of himself, but it's hard to overstate how much of an influence he was on ESPN and therefore sports culture as a whole.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo Berman is only 61? That means he was twenty loving four when he started at ESPN. That's crazy.

Have some USFL highlights. Apparently he didn't come out of the womb with all the woops and rumblin bumblin stumblin stuff after all.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So here's some Boston bullshit from some thin skinned Boston babymen:

Bomani Jones this morning had a segment on his radio show where he talked about how Boston goes nuts over gritty white dudes (the most obvious segment ever).

WEEI and apparently Stephen A Smith have gone nuts over it because it means Bomani Jones just called everyone in Boston a kkk member.

Bomani's been pretty much tweeting about it all day and it's all basically this:

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/817016050936147968

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/817089116236087298

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kalli posted:

So here's some Boston bullshit from some thin skinned Boston babymen:

Bomani Jones this morning had a segment on his radio show where he talked about how Boston goes nuts over gritty white dudes (the most obvious segment ever).

WEEI and apparently Stephen A Smith have gone nuts over it because it means Bomani Jones just called everyone in Boston a kkk member.

Bomani's been pretty much tweeting about it all day and it's all basically this:

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/817016050936147968

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/817089116236087298

The best part was when someone tweeted the award Toucher and Rich won and was like "do you have this?!" Bo just responded with a picture of his Emmy.

The second best was the show saying "enjoy pulling a 0.0 in Boston, you racist!"

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

So is that dude's real name "Toucher?" Tough break.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
NFL Primetime was incredibly great, especially for seeing a lot of stars that little kids weren't able to stay up late and see, pre internet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bomani Jones is a treasure :allears:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

NFL Primetime was huge back in the day. Was one of the few places you could get all the NFL highlights in the 90's. I watched it every week as a kid.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cash Monet posted:

So is that dude's real name "Toucher?" Tough break.

It's Toettcher.

He's the same guy who led off a live interview with Rick Pitino that he stinks and he ruined the Celtics and then dropped him from the phones.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 5, 2017

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I love the Boston radio bit of:

1. Misrepresent someone
2. Demand they come in on your show so you can gang up on them
3. Piss and moan when they unsurprisingly decline

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol yeah, sure Chris, Primetime made football famous and people would ALWAYS tell you it made them a football fan.

Chris Berman showed me it was okay to be weird.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm gonna go against the grain and say gently caress Chris Berman. I never gave a poo poo about NFL Primetime, even during the period of my life when I was a huge NFL fan. He thought he was the face of ESPN when it was actually Dan Patrick, Keith Olbermann, Stuart Scott, and Craig Kilborn that everyone knew and actually cared about. Berman has always been the creepy uncle at ESPN.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Primetime was always good in spite of Berman.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I know NFL Films actually released a music box set but the instrumentals they played behind the extended highlight packages on NFL Primetime were just as big to me growing up

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chris Berman stuck around in a premier role longer than he should have, but PrimeTime was absolutely a big deal when it started up and the way it was taken from ESPN basically out of spite was an utterly dickish thing to do by the NFL.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Man, of everything the NFL has done on and off the field in the past like, 25 years, what WASN'T utterly dickish? The Red Zone channel, I guess?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Man, of everything the NFL has done on and off the field in the past like, 25 years, what WASN'T utterly dickish? The Red Zone channel, I guess?
Yeah, but it began dickish when it was locked under the exclusive Direct TV umbrella. The undickish thing was when it finally became available to any and all cable systems.

Also, Berman and Primetime might have been a big deal back in the 90's but credit where credit is due, George Michael Sports Machine had Sunday NFL highlights on lock years before Boomer was dropping a fistfull of Du-Du-Dus and waiting for that "POP!" to kick in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/StanfordSteve82/status/817453515488579585

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/today-in-real-or-fake-bill-simmons-launches-weird-anti-nick-saban-podcast-tirade.html

Bill Simmons took another swing at trying to be relevant, this time by doing a rant on Nick Saban, then when called on it played the "lol we were joking" card.

Dropped a nice sexist LOL I BET HE PLAYS GOLF FROM THE PINK TEES comment in there too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ah yes, the pinnacle of coaching that is the NFL, where Jeff Fisher has been paid to go 7-9 for like 40 consecutive seasons.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Bill Belichick never had to coach at the college level :smug:

e: lol I swear I didn't click on the link, of course he name-dropped Belichick.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/today-in-real-or-fake-bill-simmons-launches-weird-anti-nick-saban-podcast-tirade.html

Bill Simmons took another swing at trying to be relevant, this time by doing a rant on Nick Saban, then when called on it played the "lol we were joking" card.

Dropped a nice sexist LOL I BET HE PLAYS GOLF FROM THE PINK TEES comment in there too.

How did Bill Simmons become popular anyway?

Also, is The Ringer still a thing er no?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

How did Bill Simmons become popular anyway?

Also, is The Ringer still a thing er no?

He was the common man way back when, just a guy with a platform shooting the poo poo about sports when not everyone in the world who wanted to blog about things could. Right place, right time basically.

I think I've said this before but he still has some decent ideas, 30 for 30 has been generally awesome, grantland was good at what it did. Both of those were his babies. I just have no desire to ever read or hear from the man himself the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I feel like we go over this every few days but he was genuinely way different and seemed refreshing in the era he started in when there weren't a million sports blog. There were way fewer people writing from a fan perspective or mixing jokes and pop culture references into their sports writing back then. It struck a cord with people, and he built a huge audience at ESPN. Since then a ton of other people have done similar things much better but he got there early and had a huge platform. To his credit he managed to parlay that into doing some genuinely great stuff like Grantland and 30 for 30 but his actual writing and opinions have always been really bad.

The ringer exists and is fine as long as you can get over it not being as good as grantland was