Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

It literally doesn't matter what I bring. I have no paralysis resist accessories.

I also can't just throw mythril continues at this since none of the continue bonuses resist statuses.

I'm also getting total garbage RNG. Last fight I had both Serah and Y'shtola paralyzed after aoe ice. I'm seriously considering skipping this mc3. I've gotten every other one since they started but this one might not be worth the frustration.

edit: Yda is my "Shout" with her SSB. Ramza is breakdowns and Tailwind for party heal. Y'shtola is for Aetherial Pulse and my RW is also Y'shtola for wall.

Everything goes great until he gets under 50% hp and then he does the AoE ground ice, then instantly flies and does AoE ice twice. Anyone who doesn't die gets paralyzed and it's always Serah or Y'shtola.

Also I can't seem do do enough damage fast enough. I was thinking of trying Shout RW and just all my best physical hitters but again I have nothing I can do about random paralysis. At all.

you're not wearing ice resist. you should be wearing ice resist. it really helps.

don't bother with wall, USoI is def-ignore and by far the main threat. expect him to use it almost every turn once he's under 50%

i found mages to be very useful on this fight, alph and papalymo carried me through the CM even though i don't have SBs for either - consider trying it with a Proof of Existence RW. hopefully you can get haste elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Y'shtola's medica ns't going to cut it. Have her use wall and bring a healer BSB as the RW (such as a Y'shtola) and as long as the BSB's running and wall is up with shell/protect you shouldn't come close to dying unless Y'shtola gets locked down with people low on hp.

A native Wall should never be ignored for a SB/SSB medica tbh. One is a vital buff that has lost zero importance and the other is an ability that is completely outclassed by BSBs.

Thanks for this. It took me a couple tries and 1 mythril continue but I got it with this strat. Native wall + RW Asylum used at the right times worked. I had to figure out the timings and practice when to maximize the utility. I also replaced Sephiroth with Gilgamesh because his BSB is better overall for that fight. I also got lucky on the mythril runback and got paralyzed less than usual.

Oh and the nightmare accessory that gives major ice resistance was really nice on Serah. She was able to survive a lot of stupid poo poo and get off several Clock Masters and Esunas and Firagas.

That fight was the death of fun though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

you're not wearing ice resist. you should be wearing ice resist. it really helps.

don't bother with wall, USoI is def-ignore and by far the main threat. expect him to use it almost every turn once he's under 50%

i found mages to be very useful on this fight, alph and papalymo carried me through the CM even though i don't have SBs for either - consider trying it with a Proof of Existence RW. hopefully you can get haste elsewhere

I have garbage mages. Literally the only mage relics I have are Serah's BSB, Quistis Cerberus and Edea's stupid ice thing. I can't confidently use a mage team at all right now, at least not on ults.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Japan's FFRK Report came out, and the next events are Mobius Collab (FF1 with Meia, the female protagonist) - FF6 (Sabin) - FF9 (Steiner and Vivi!!!) - FF13 (Jihl Nabaat), as well as 2 other collabs Global is less likely to get.

Meia is gonna be a Water Summoner from some released Relic details. I'm hoping Wol gets some ability buffs too, cause Shooter 5 when the only ranged weapon he can only use Bows and no one in FF1 has Bow relics is sorta hilarious.

Nabaat is an interesting choice, although XIII is running low on characters to add (I sorta assumed XIII-2's Caius would make it in before her). I'm guessing Physical Support/Darkness based on her XIII-2 appearance as a Saboteur.

Characters will also be getting special Legend Materia from relics now. It seems odd to modify how people can get Legend Materia so close to releasing it (and having it tied to Gacha), but it's hard to tell how big it'll be until we see more on what characters get and how it works.

Also, XIV is longest running without an event. I assumed it would be coming up soon, but now I'm curious whether they're pushing it to line up for the new expansion. For reference, between where Global and Japan are event wise, FF1 is getting the Matoya/Master Monk event and a Mobius collab, FF2 gets the Emperor, FF3 gets Cloud of Darkness and FF11 got Lion and Prishe. XIV might be the only realm without a 6* right now, even including Beyond since Lann got a crappy OSB. And these are generally thought of as the uncommon realms.

Seriously, FF1 is getting two events before XIV gets another.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
At the very worst, XIV will definitely get an event for Stormblood. Problem is that that's in June, but at least it has a definite 'yeah they'll get something by then' date.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

pichupal posted:

Meia is gonna be a Water Summoner from some released Relic details. I'm hoping Wol gets some ability buffs too, cause Shooter 5 when the only ranged weapon he can only use Bows and no one in FF1 has Bow relics is sorta hilarious.

Nabaat is an interesting choice, although XIII is running low on characters to add (I sorta assumed XIII-2's Caius would make it in before her). I'm guessing Physical Support/Darkness based on her XIII-2 appearance as a Saboteur.

Who knows, maybe we'll get NORA in before Kiros, Ward, and Umaro.

Also, Meia's ability set: Black Magic 5, Summoning 5, Witch 4
Equipment set: Dagger, Rod, Staff
Hat, Robe, Bracelet

Wol has Monk 4 now.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 6, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

pichupal posted:

Also, XIV is longest running without an event. I assumed it would be coming up soon, but now I'm curious whether they're pushing it to line up for the new expansion. For reference, between where Global and Japan are event wise, FF1 is getting the Matoya/Master Monk event and a Mobius collab, FF2 gets the Emperor, FF3 gets Cloud of Darkness and FF11 got Lion and Prishe. XIV might be the only realm without a 6* right now, even including Beyond since Lann got a crappy OSB. And these are generally thought of as the uncommon realms.

The Lion/Prishe event was another Grandmasters collab, so don't expect to get that anytime soon if we still haven't gotten Ayame/Curilla.

In terms of upcoming characters not tied to a collab, we've got Fujin/Raijin, Seymour, Master/Matoya, Rufus, Vayne, Orlandu/Gafarion, Rafa/Malak, Cid Pollendina, Emperor, Cloud of Darkness, Ceodore, Gogo, Meia and Jihl Nabaat coming down the pipe. Ayame, Curilla, Lion, Prishe, Reynn and Lann are still huge question marks.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 6, 2017

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Beasteh posted:

17th for Dungeon Update (25 mythril one time lucky draw) and 23rd for the Summon Nightmare (full price unlimited draws) IIRC.

The order of events until the end of Feb is XIII > IX > X > FFT > IV > I > VIII.

The Tactics event is the last one we have a confirmed date for from the last update and it opens on the 26th, which means that the XII event should be the last event in February unless they monkey with the schedule for no obvious reason.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Varance posted:

The Lion/Prishe event was another Grandmasters collab, so don't expect to get that anytime soon if we still haven't gotten Ayame/Curilla.
It was? None of the associated media seems to mention it as opposed to the Ayame/Curilla event having the Grandmasters logo even plastered on the event splash.

vs.

Lion/Prishe also introduces Chain Super Soul Breaks and the Witch ability set. It'd be kind of awkward to skip that given new characters beyond that XI event have Witch.

Meanwhile Meia's got Mobius Final Fantasy emblazoned upon it. Which, to be fair, we already have Wol and Echo in that case, but it doesn't seem like they ignore mentioning their tie-ins when relevant.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Honestly, the only difference between Grandmasters and vanilla FF11 is that Grandmasters is single player and also never seeing the light of day in America, ever. They even got rid of the Grandmasters-themed Triple Triad cards in the portal app.

I hope we at least get the characters and skill from that event. Samurais are gonna suck without their ATK/RES bargain.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
What would be an interesting OSB/USB for a XIV character? And who do you think will get the first one?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What're the elements we've seen so far for FF14? Fire, Holy, Wind, anything else? They'll give it to the oldest character released or the most popular. Thancred probably, or YoshiCola.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I woke up this morning to this:

That's pretty good, right?

My RW is currently a level 99 Y'shtola with SS2, max MND gear, and almost completely moted out. She has 440 MND without synergy :cool:

I guess clearing out all those dumpy followers a couple weeks ago was worth it.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 6, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Y'shtola will almost definitely get the first USB.

OSB? Unsure. Probably Thancred or Papalymo, though Yda might have enough popularity to push her for it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
If FF5 is going to have a Gogo then I see no reason why FF 14 can't have Greg.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
New FF1 breaks from JP:

Wol axes you a question for his USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wlNtAxefWg
.. and breaks stuff with his BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPqkOfJhjsc

Meia summons FF12's Famfrit for an FF1 soul break for her BSB, because why not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=312zqx2eYo4
... and has an ice SSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2PDiFe0Xo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

If FF5 is going to have a Gogo then I see no reason why FF 14 can't have Greg.

Gogo is originally from FF5.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah but when you hear Final Fantasy and Gogo you think FF6. Greg should be in the game is all I am saying.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He is in the game, he's just from FFV.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Why do people refer to Gilgamesh as Greg?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
New MC3s tonight! I'm up to 6 MC3 lodes so I'm thankful for new characters to level break. Probably Arc for instaheal + blink SSB and Papalymo for enIce SSB, maybe Edge for Ninja magic shenanigans.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I assumed it was an autocorrect thing. People trying to shorten it to Gilg and getting Greg instead. I occasionally see "Pencil" for PCecil too.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's a joke from a questline in FF14

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

iPodschun posted:

I assumed it was an autocorrect thing. People trying to shorten it to Gilg and getting Greg instead. I occasionally see "Pencil" for PCecil too.

They're just silly nicknames.
A character in ffxiv calls gilgamesh "Greg" for short. Terra is called TERROR BALTIMORE because of video game wrestling.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also Alphinaud is Alphanerd because he is the alpha nerd.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Semi related, but sometimes people refer to Mage Meta as Mega Meat or something similar. I'm not sure why I find that so entertaining, but it makes me giggle anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Yeah but when you hear Final Fantasy and Gogo you think FF6. Greg should be in the game is all I am saying.

I don't because I played through a translation patched FF5 before I actually played FF6 for the first time. :buddy:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

It literally doesn't matter what I bring. I have no paralysis resist accessories.

I also can't just throw mythril continues at this since none of the continue bonuses resist statuses.

I'm also getting total garbage RNG. Last fight I had both Serah and Y'shtola paralyzed after aoe ice. I'm seriously considering skipping this mc3. I've gotten every other one since they started but this one might not be worth the frustration.

edit: Yda is my "Shout" with her SSB. Ramza is breakdowns and Tailwind for party heal. Y'shtola is for Aetherial Pulse and my RW is also Y'shtola for wall.

Everything goes great until he gets under 50% hp and then he does the AoE ground ice, then instantly flies and does AoE ice twice. Anyone who doesn't die gets paralyzed and it's always Serah or Y'shtola.

Also I can't seem do do enough damage fast enough. I was thinking of trying Shout RW and just all my best physical hitters but again I have nothing I can do about random paralysis. At all.

I beat it with a pretty janky team relying on Terra OSB, Minifilia's Last Stand, and Y'shtola's BSB. I think any decent ranged Fire BSB could substitute for Terra. I had 0 paralysis relics.

Perhaps consider bringing a souped up Terra OSB RW (check a friend code database) and saving up two blasts of it for after you get it down to roughly 150k hp. That should take it down within 2 turns.

Personally, I brought Terra, Locke (with BSB), Ramza (Shout), Ysh (BSB and Wall), and Minifilia (BSB and Last stand). Locke died about half way through before I was able to get off a second BSB for him. I basically focused on repeatedly charging up my OSB and hitting it for a pitiful 30k per hit because my Terra's pretty weak and I have like no mage buffs.

edit: maybe that just shows the power of Y'sh's BSB and Last Stand. I'm assuming I didn't get paralyzed because either HP bubbles or straight up dying (but surviving on guts) mitigates that.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 6, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pichupal posted:

Seriously, FF1 is getting two events before XIV gets another.

FFXIV will get an event as Stormblood gets closer, unless they want to throw in a surprise Heavensward-themed event and give us a character like Estinen. Or Hauchefaunt. :cry:

Adel posted:

What would be an interesting OSB/USB for a XIV character? And who do you think will get the first one?

Alphinaud with an Akh Morn OSB :getin:

ApplesandOranges posted:

OSB? Unsure. Probably Thancred or Papalymo, though Yda might have enough popularity to push her for it.

If it's a Stormblood based event she'd be the most likely to get it given her actual identity and that she'll probably be more important to that storyline than any Scion was to Heavensward.

She'll also get Dancer 4 or 5 if that ends up being the 2nd job they reveal.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

This is only because FF5 never came out on the SNES here. If it had then he'd be associated with 5 and the theories like "Gogo is actually Darryl" wouldn't have been as common.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Jesus Vanille's BSB trivializes healing requirements. I face tanked Ultima just mashing her aoe heal. Just got Gilgamesh and the torment thing and I've done everything before the events expire!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
What all do I need to watch out for in the torment dungeon? I plan on going full mage. Two instacast curaga medica white mages, tyro with sg and dances, rinoa to summon alphenaud's bsb with tiamat and edea for her hastega/faithga. Then i'll put an extra couple elemental spells on edea for mastery and call it a day.

But knowing this game, it won't be that easy.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I was just trying to say that Gilgamesh's quest line in ff14 was so good and charming that I would be okay if they added an FF14 Gilgamesh just like I would be okay with them adding two Gogos if they ever add the one from 6. Mostly jokingly because I just played through it so it is fresh on my mind whenever ff14 comes up.

Besides, Tyro is Gogo anyway. Healing the paintings will destroy his mind and fling him into the multidimensional void.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I was just trying to say that Gilgamesh's quest line in ff14 was so good and charming that I would be okay if they added an FF14 Gilgamesh just like I would be okay with them adding two Gogos if they ever add the one from 6. Mostly jokingly because I just played through it so it is fresh on my mind whenever ff14 comes up.

Besides, Tyro is Gogo anyway. Healing the paintingsDoing all of Dr. Mog's crazy bullshit nightmare/torture dungeons will destroy his mind and fling him into the multidimensional void.

Fixed that.

I do love ff14 Gilgamesh. I basically love every appearance of Gilgamesh though (except maybe type-0. That one was interesting maybe, but not really lovable).

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Besides, Tyro is Gogo anyway. Healing the paintings will destroy his mind and fling him into the multidimensional void.

All Gilgamesh's are literally the same dude except ffxi's Gilgamesh. There won't be a ff14 Gilgamesh released because it is entirely the same person.

Like, there is nothing specifically saying that ffvi's gogo is the same as ffv's gogo. So technically they could just up and add another gogo to the game. I think.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Release a shitton of wardrobe records for Gilgamesh and pick your favorite one. Bam, problem solved :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We are all Gilgamesh, there is no problem

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
gently caress, the torment dungeon is ffv synergy only. I only have good melee synergy for ffv. My mage gear is one healer staff and that's it. The best I can do with that is only about 840ish mag, not enough for taimat sadly.

Well, I guess I'll just hope that I can manage to melee them all down one at a time at about the same rate.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

gently caress, the torment dungeon is ffv synergy only. I only have good melee synergy for ffv. My mage gear is one healer staff and that's it. The best I can do with that is only about 840ish mag, not enough for taimat sadly.

Well, I guess I'll just hope that I can manage to melee them all down one at a time at about the same rate.

Do you have any decent BSBs or SSBs for someone with Knight 5? The trash mobs and the bosses use lots of single target moves, so someone with Gaia Cross and Magic Lure in the ability slots and Knight's Charge for their RM will be making GBS threads out SBs like crazy. It's what made my melee strategy succeed.

e: oh right, make sure your tank has a Gigas Armlet

double edit: you'll also want that BSB or SSB to be an AoE

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

U-DO Burger posted:

Do you have any decent BSBs or SSBs for someone with Knight 5? The trash mobs and the bosses use lots of single target moves, so someone with Gaia Cross and Magic Lure in the ability slots and Knight's Charge for their RM will be making GBS threads out SBs like crazy. It's what made my melee strategy succeed.

e: oh right, make sure your tank has a Gigas Armlet

Yeah. I have minifilia and her bsb, but it's all single target damage and she has yet to learn it. I guess I'll have to make that a priority come sunday then. Or I guess I could use agrias as I have her ssb, but that one feels really super old by now.

Edit: In the meantime I'll just be grinding the rm2's for 21 characters I leveled/egged during orbfest.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh, a FF9 event coming up? Excellent! I've been wanting Zidanes MC2 for a while now. I just didn't want to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Sprite141 posted:

What all do I need to watch out for in the torment dungeon? I plan on going full mage. Two instacast curaga medica white mages, tyro with sg and dances, rinoa to summon alphenaud's bsb with tiamat and edea for her hastega/faithga. Then i'll put an extra couple elemental spells on edea for mastery and call it a day.

But knowing this game, it won't be that easy.

Relying on one RW BSB for nearly all your damage doesn't feel like anywhere near enough sustainability. Two white mages and tyro dancing just feels like overkill turtling; the torment is tough, but Wall/Shellga and dances with one full time healer probably has to be enough unless you're bringing an AE source BSB of your own to sustain the length of fight you're setting up.

• Locked thread