Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Koramei posted:

How do you mean? I'll defer to you since you actually taught, but I've asked teachers about it before since I was curious too and that was one of the major factors. Teachers at a hagwon though, maybe things are different at an actual school?

There is almost no training in Korea, in my experience. EPIK and the other government programs have ten-day "orientation" that is unbelievable bullshit; the majority of what you're told is as follows:

1. Eat kimchi, even if you don't like it.
2. Get along with your coteachers and buy them chocolate when they're angry at you.
3. Take off your shoes in the house.

They chain you inside whatever facility is holding the orientation program, give you a harsh curfew, and basically herd you from classroom to classroom while speaking to you as if you're five. The most useful advice came from a speaker who told us just to prepare for surprises at every moment and never expect anything to go as planned. That summer was also record-breaking in terms of heat and humidity and most of us were ill for the entire orientation period. Oh, anyone who brought a dependent spouse with them had to pay for them to stay on site and share a twin bed. (Same deal for their apartments, in a lot of cases.)

As for hagwons, I've heard of people arriving and immediately being thrown into a classroom after leaving the airport.

In Japan, there is training, even though most places have things down to a science and it's too regimented for anyone to get creative. I had a student lodge a complaint against me once because he told me the book was too easy and I suggested he bring a different book from then on; he didn't like that I deviated from the plan.

KillingPablo posted:

Is "loyalty" to the school highly valued in Korea? It's been my experience in China that the turnover rate for foreign teachers is so high that schools don't anticipate people to stay longer than a year. At my particular university in Beijing we have one English professor who has been teaching for 11 years, which is even more amazing as he received his PhD at Cambridge and studied for a bit at Harvard. Our school isn't even known for having a good English program, so I've no idea why he's stayed for over a decade.

I'm actually amazed at how much the schools are willing to tolerate from bad teachers. One Canadian teacher who'd been here for 6-7 years frequently fought with the Chinese staff, assumed authority he didn't have, and it was fairly well known that he was sleeping with students (he was tall, fat, bald, and wore shorts during the winter, not exactly a catch). Thankfully he was finally fired last summer, I think the Chinese teachers at the school of foreign studies voted unanimously to can his rear end. Things might be getting better though; I heard he was hired by another university at the beginning of the fall semester, and he's already been fired from there too.

I'm honestly not sure. There is a strong push for the teachers to consider themselves part of the school community, with frequent mandatory school dinners and even overnight trips. One of the few good things about my school is that my first coteacher/supervisor was actually very nice and caring and got me out of any commitments longer than a couple of hours, and by the time she left, everyone had gotten used to my absence and didn't make me come out anymore. or they hated me. But I have heard so many complaints from foreign teachers about abusive stuff happening after they announced they were leaving that I'm surprised I didn't get screwed worse. The most annoying thing my school did was take the printer out of my classroom because obviously I wouldn't be needing THAT over the remaining four months of my contract. I just put on a movie and told my coworker, "I'm sorry, I can't teach this class without my printer" and it was mysteriously back in my classroom the next day. There's a reason that foreign teachers often choose the "midnight run" option when leaving Korea; losing your comped flight home might be preferable to, for example, having all the electrical cords in your classroom mysteriously taken away after announcing your intention to leave. or being fired in the eleventh month of your contract so your school is not required to pay your severance and flight home.

Bad teaching doesn't matter in Korea because your coteachers probably don't speak any English outside of the textbook. Unless you teach at a high school or middle school, English proficiency of any kind is not a requirement for being an English teacher. Let Us English's school changed one teacher from science to being the English department head three days before the school year started; she wasn't exactly skilled. I've had coteachers who didn't speak any English in the classroom whatsoever- the textbooks don't even have English in them until fifth grade- and one woman in particular was literally insane. Senile dementia (AFAIK), could not care for herself, was frequently dirty and/or unable to communicate even in Korean...and they made her head of the sixth grade English department, which is arguably the most important age group due to upcoming middle school entrance exams.

I am blond and appear Caucasian; my first coteacher's first words to me were "I'm so glad you're not black like the last teacher!" :wtc:

Blistex posted:

Yeah, it can be weird some times. If you're at a sketchy school sometimes they will try and take advantage of you leaving the country.

The second school I taught at had not paid my Korean income tax, and thus I was not going to be able to collect it at the end of my stay (amounted to ~1 month's salary) and I was afraid that they were also going to stiff me on the end of contract bonus since they knew I was going directly to China the day after my contract was over. I have the aforementioned friend who went to teach at a university get one of the lawyers in his University (interestingly enough he was a Lawyer from the UK) to draft a letter and take it to my school personally. I guess that they were pretty frightened by the prospect of a lawsuit, so they did everything in a hurry and had a miscommunication. They paid the full amout of my income tax to the government, plus transferred the same amount to my account. They also transfered the bonus to my account as well, so I ended up getting an extra 2.7 million won out of the deal. The stars must have been aligned, because I booked my flight to China through expedia.ca, and they hosed up and never billed my mastercard. Two weeks later I used an ATM in the Bank of China to withdraw 2000 RMB, which didn't come out of the machine, but was removed from my Canadian account. The next day my account was refunded the while amount, and then the day after that I was charged a $5 transaction fee and the 2000 RMB was refunded to me again. In all I made about $4000 in free money from different administrative gently caress ups which paid for my entire wedding ceremony (~200 guests) and wedding photos in China.

This makes me happy. Good for you for fighting! So many people don't bother.

Koramei posted:

Yeah as impressive as it is on paper, you can go to a prestigious school and still be a total washout. See: half my family

I never taught so I'm sure someone else that has can fill in better, but it's basically just 1. a prestige thing to have a white teacher, doesn't matter their quality and 2. expensive enough to train a new teacher that replacing them takes a special kind of loving up for anyone in charge to actually do it. Like word has to be getting out to the parents and it's tarnishing the school's reputation and so on. I've heard a few stories from friends about teachers like that (or worse) and I've never actually heard of any of them being fired, mostly just everyone breathing a huge sigh of relief when they finally leave.

That's pretty much it.
We can make you eat lunch in a storage closet, break into your apartment and rearrange your furniture, steal all the poo poo out of your desk, give your Chuseok presents to other people, and constantly accuse you of making GBS threads on the bathroom floor, but we won't fire you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Loyalty to the school didn't really seem to mean anything when I was in Korea, but I wasn't in the hagwons and none of my friends were either. This was in 2008 so maybe it was different before or after that? Basically the schools expected you to do one year and they didn't give a poo poo when you moved on. It's not like they were paying for your visa or work permit. That was all handled by the Department of Education. Plus it's not like the Korean teachers were permanently assigned to the schools. The teachers at my school at least came out to do a few years at a rural placement so they could rack up some points for promotion and retirement and then would move to a school in Seoul. Everyone there, the teachers, the principals, the nurse, were temporary. Hell, when the nurse left they didn't even replace her and her office became the room hungover teachers napped in.

And echoing what people have been saying. There's no training in ESL. I get on my high horse about this a lot, but it's basically a fraudulent enterprise from top to bottom and I contend that about one in a thousand teachers actually knows what they're doing.

GoutPatrol posted:

God I wish my wedding I'm planning in Taiwan could be that cheap. It is probably going to be double that not including the honeymoon. Not to get into BWM chat in here because I can afford everything and I've been saving two years for it, but gently caress I gotta spend 2000 dollars on lovely cookies.

Edit: I should say the actual ceremony on the day-of and engagement/wedding photos are going to be around what Blistex paid. It is all the other crap that gets more expensive. Like a hairdresser for the bride's mother. And the aforementioned cookies you send to people not good enough to go to the ceremony.

I paid nothing out of pocket for my wedding and it was fine. My wife's family covered expenses and kept all the red envelopes and I'm told it was profitable. We did it on a shoestring and no one noticed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Blistex posted:

Training a new teacher is (at the most expensive) 3 days pay where you and the person you are replacing overlaps.

I might just be wrong on this but I think this is part of it, that this is still enough hassle that the owner of a Hagwon won't consider it worthwhile. Have you all had a different experience; that they're willing to fire teachers readily?

Keep in mind my sample size consists of a handful of my friends and maybe they've gone to especially poo poo ones, but essentially I get the impression that starting up a Hagwon is similar to starting up a restaurant in the west. Someone starts it up, and then rides along on the verge of bankruptcy until they make it or more likely fall through, often after less than a year- I have a Korean friend that's had a Hagwon owner just straight up skip town without paying her a cent after she'd worked there for months and she said it wasn't even so unusual, and she's hopped between several failing Hagwons just over the past couple of years. There isn't the same sort of inertia a school in the west might have, and they cut every corner they can. So even if it's in theory simple to replace a teacher, it's not the kind of risk a Hagwon owner wants to take unless they really feel pressured to.

I did also think it was actually thousands of dollars to hire a new teacher though so I might just be wrong on this. If you all have different understandings of why they keep bad teachers I would be really interested to know, after some of the stories I've heard it's kind of mind boggling.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Koramei posted:

Keep in mind my sample size consists of a handful of my friends and maybe they've gone to especially poo poo ones, but essentially I get the impression that starting up a Hagwon is similar to starting up a restaurant in the west. Someone starts it up, and then rides along on the verge of bankruptcy until they make it or more likely fall through, often after less than a year- I have a Korean friend that's had a Hagwon owner just straight up skip town without paying her a cent after she'd worked there for months and she said it wasn't even so unusual, and she's hopped between several failing Hagwons just over the past couple of years.

I've heard of this many times, unfortunately.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I could never figure out why anyone would work for a hagwon ever. Like I get in Taiwan working at a cram school because without a teaching certificate or a marriage visa the local schools literally can't hire you, but in Korea you could work in a public school for better pay and holidays and not deal with all of the insane bullshit that came with working in a Hagwon on just a bachelor's.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think easily half the cost of my wedding was the booze for all ~350 people who showed up. This did not end well for my groomsmen who were goaded into massive over drinking by the family member we assigned to translate for them who was a woman who spoke broken English and basically spent the wedding harassing guests to toast them while telling my groomsmen if they didn't drink the toast they weren't real men and dishonored my family but obviously she didn't need to drink as she was a woman.

As a positive outcome, they're all still alive and have their vision.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Barudak posted:

I think easily half the cost of my wedding was the booze for all ~350 people who showed up. This did not end well for my groomsmen who were goaded into massive over drinking by the family member we assigned to translate for them who was a woman who spoke broken English and basically spent the wedding harassing guests to toast them while telling my groomsmen if they didn't drink the toast they weren't real men and dishonored my family but obviously she didn't need to drink as she was a woman.

I'm still mad that the booze at my wedding was left in a closet and forgotten about by the wedding hall staff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Think of it as less they forgot and more they wanted to ensure everyone at your wedding lived to see the sun rise the next day.

Although, if you missed out on the chief of police of the town you were in getting so shitfaced so quickly after the ceremony they puke during the meal you have my sincerest condolences.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koramei posted:

How do you mean? I'll defer to you since you actually taught, but I've asked teachers about it before since I was curious too and that was one of the major factors. Teachers at a hagwon though, maybe things are different at an actual school?

There is no training whatsoever at public or hagwons in my experience. In Korea it's totally normal to land and be put in the classroom the next day without any kind of explanation. I also received no training in China and I work at a real school now, but when they hired me I had years of experience so that's probably why. You just learn as you go.

There's so little training I actually laughed at the idea of anyone being trained. Maybe they do it at international schools or something. I've never even heard of teacher training in Korea or China. The closest thing is EPIK does the orientation thing the first week but there's no training in that, it's literally just like "Do you know kimchi? Do you know Dokdo?" poo poo.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 6, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We got married in Hawaii and invited everyone and took all the money and only had 20 guests :getin:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Barudak posted:

Think of it as less they forgot and more they wanted to ensure everyone at your wedding lived to see the sun rise the next day.

Although, if you missed out on the chief of police of the town you were in getting so shitfaced so quickly after the ceremony they puke during the meal you have my sincerest condolences.

Eh, me and my buddies just drank it in the family shop after the wedding anyway. Chinese weddings are weird. Over by 2!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

There is no training whatsoever at public or hagwons in my experience. In Korea it's totally normal to land and be put in the classroom the next day without any kind of explanation. I also received no training in China. You just learn as you go.

There's so little training I actually laughed at the idea of anyone being trained. Maybe they do it at international schools or something. I've never even heard of teacher training in Korea or China. The closest thing is EPIK does the orientation thing the first week but there's no training in that, it's literally just like "Do you know kimchi? Do you know Dokdo?" poo poo.

About three quarters through my GEPIK stint, there was a big GEPIK "training day" at some shithole university in the middle of nowhere, so me and the other guys from way the hell up in Yeoncheon made the two hour trek to it, signed our names in the book, and left after the first lecture consisted of some rear end in a top hat telling us the most effective way to teach was to make the students scrub toilets with you after class to show them how serious you were.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

About three quarters through my GEPIK stint, there was a big GEPIK "training day" at some shithole university in the middle of nowhere, so me and the other guys from way the hell up in Yeoncheon made the two hour trek to it, signed our names in the book, and left after the first lecture consisted of some rear end in a top hat telling us the most effective way to teach was to make the students scrub toilets with you after class to show them how serious you were.

aahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahhaha WHAT THE gently caress

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koramei posted:

Have you all had a different experience; that they're willing to fire teachers readily?

At a public school in Korea it's very difficult to fire a foreign teacher and seems to be literally impossible to fire a Korean. They have a bunch of hoops to go through to fire you and they're way too lazy most of the time to bother, they just run out the clock. A hagwon can and will fire you at the drop of a hat. There are so many Koreaboos applying to work that they can find someone new within the week and the pay has been steadily decreasing anyway, so it's probably cheaper.

How bad teachers stay on for so long... I dunno, I have a few ideas.

1) The school has no idea the teacher is bad. Most schools don't give a gently caress about education quality or anything so they may literally have no idea and not care.
2) Corollary, the teacher is white and attractive and the purpose of the teacher is to give the appearance of education, not education, so that forgives other sins.
3) There are people who are a mess but can keep it together and do a decent job in the classroom, so you might meet them and think "holy poo poo how does this guy have a job" but he's actually an okay teacher.
4) The new teacher could be worse. Or, horror of horrors, black. :aaaaa: So we better stay on this horse as long as we can!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Eh, me and my buddies just drank it in the family shop after the wedding anyway. Chinese weddings are weird. Over by 2!

It's the best part. That and the no wasting time on a dance the couple clearly doesn't know how to do because, unless you're Hispanic, as a person under 40 you probably don't know poo poo about actual couples dancing in the west.

The best dancing at a wedding was at a wedding where the couple met at Tango class. Nobody loving danced after they did their thing because it was, you know, embarrassing as poo poo to go up there and try and wing it after watching their years in the making routine even though most people knew at least like bachata or salsa.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh poo poo you reminded me we did have a "training day" once. I didn't think of it because there was no training. It was organized after a teacher got busted mailing himself hash from Canada, so the first couple hours were about that.

The only other thing I remember was since they had a room full of honkeys they decided to show us the new city tourism video and have us give feedback. Cue the several minutes of sweeping views of smokestacks and factories (where I lived was super industrial--though quite clean and nice despite that) and statistics about oil production and stuff. They probably showed a whale at some point and maybe a tree but it was 90% about factories. At the end the camera goes over the huge oil refinery while a man belts out UUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN in full operatic glory and most of us completely lost our poo poo. I hadn't laughed that hard in ages.

So then they asked and literally every one of us said no, it was not effective. Tourists from our countries would not be enticed to visit by showing them video of smoke pouring out of factories and oil refineries.

After our valuable feedback, a few months later I saw they were playing it on a loop at the high-speed rail station.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

I paid nothing out of pocket for my wedding and it was fine. My wife's family covered expenses and kept all the red envelopes and I'm told it was profitable. We did it on a shoestring and no one noticed.

I'm sure once envelopes are tallied then maybe it will be okay. But I'm budgeting this thing like I won't see one red cent. Her parents aren't paying anything, because they are poor. If they expect all the same poo poo that I am doing for the other three children, they will never get married. Originally the mother-in-law said she didn't even want her side of the family to give envelopes. My parents said they would give me as much as they gave my sister, and that would be enough to cover all expenses by itself but I'm not touching that and using it as a nest egg.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

aahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahhaha WHAT THE gently caress

We skipped out on traditional Korean wrestling lessons scheduled for the afternoon session.

Man you guys reminded me of the forced teacher overnights. On my last night on Korea the school took me out to dinner and at the end presented me with a red envelope. I thought it was a going away gift. Turns out it was just the money they'd been taking out of my salary every month to contribute for the next trip.

The one I did get dragged on was cut short though because the Korean staff was too hungover to continue. God those fuckers played go-stop all night.

When we went into the hotel, the baggage cart was loaded with dried squid and soju and I remarked that it was a bell hof. No one appreciated my humor.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
For-profit education is a poo poo show top to bottom and in my experience actual education or quality is the absolute last thing on anyone`s mind. Ive lived in Korea, China and Japan Just passed HSK 5 and N1 this year! :woo: and ESL is a real dumpster fire of an industry. I avoided it my first two years out here, than got sucked in to a year stint in Guangzhou, banked that cash and got a job in Japan for the Visa. Half a year later I got a real job in a totally unrelated industry and Im never teaching another English class again.

All that matters is the optics, foreign teachers are there purely for show, noone expects you to do anything except be a warm body in a classroom. Depending on what kind of place you work at, it might be just a few classes or they might be riding you with six-plus classes a day, all depends on what the native management is like. People almost never get fired from these places because bringing in someone new is inherently a risk and too much hassle. You are a foreigner and you are standing in the general vicinity of students, you are already fulfilling your purpose. A lazy, sub-par teacher is way better than taking a gamble on someone who could show up and maybe cause a serious problem. I havent taught alot but most of my friends out here have been in the industry and anecdotally the only way you can be outright fired (instead of tight-lipped silence regarding your contract renewal) is if you do something extremely illegal, usually drug related, that would cause the school to look bad.

I knew one guy who got fired from a private high school I worked at in China (I was their IT guy, not a teacher) and he was fired because he slept with a woman who was married to some local gangster, which caused the guy to show up and start threatening parents out in the parking lot area.

Pro-Tip: If the school has a large foreign staff but literally no foreigners in management, expect to be treated like an exotic monkey for the entertainment of all and to have basically no prospects for advancement. This creates a vicious cycle of course where people have no reason to stay and so of course the schools treat you like a temp-worker. In the end though the cash keeps flowing up into the owners pockets and parents dont really give a poo poo so the system will just lurch onwards.

TLDR; Teaching English is a silly job, dont do it for more than a year unless you have a reasonable expectation of jumping to a real job.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Atlas Hugged posted:

Switch "university" to "resort" and we've had the exact same experience (minus the toilet scrubbing). It was a two day event, and after the first lecture of a 10 hour day I took off with my friend and we went to a bar then crashed in a jim-jil-bang and showed up 15 minutes before the conference was over to pick up our certificates.

Barudak posted:

My wedding was $1500 for the actual ceremony where a company hooked us up with a film crew, arranged 5 limos for us, and rented out 3 restaurants for the 200 guests. The other $1500 went to two days of wedding photos where I had to almost literally physically force them to stop photoshopping stupid Chinese poems and English gibberish (and lots of lens flares) into every single photo. It wasn't until two China threads ago that I was told that I didn't have to do a shot of Baijiu for every table toast and could have subbed it with water. After ~20 toasts (one per table) I was barely able to stand.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 6, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Blistex posted:

It wasn't until two China threads ago that I was told that I didn't have to do a shot of Baijiu for every table toast and could have subbed it with water. After ~20 toasts (ten per table) I was barely able to stand.

台灣第一名。

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I was frequently a target for train gropers. I have unusually large boobs and people and small animals just sort of get sucked in there due to their gravitational pull.

That said, it's not nice to grab random ladies. :mad: I started wearing my backpack in the front as defense.

That's pretty much sexual assault. You didn't cause a scene?

It's weird to me that those demure-seeming Japanese men love to train grope so much

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Grand Fromage posted:

At my EPIK orientation, we all sat down to dinner, then the head dude for the city talked so long that by the time we ate everything was cold.

I considered it a valuable education on how Korea works.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Phlegmish posted:

It's weird to me that those demure-seeming Japanese men love to train grope so much

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women-only_passenger_car#Japan

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Japan recalls envoy after South Korea puts 'comfort woman' statue outside consulate

Japan has recalled its ambassador to South Korea in protest at the placing of a statue symbolising victims of Japanese wartime sex slavery outside its consulate.

Chief government spokesman Yoshihide Suga announced the temporary move at a media conference along with additional measures that include postponing high-level economic discussions. “The Japanese government finds this situation extremely regrettable,” he said.

Besides the recall of ambassador Yasumasa Nagamine, Suga also said Japan was ordering home its consul-general in Busan – the city featuring the offending statue – and suspending discussions on a Japan-South Korea currency swap.

“The Japanese government will continue to strongly urge the South Korean government as well as municipalities concerned to quickly remove the statue of the girl,” Suga said.

The statue was initially removed after being set up by South Korean activists in the southern port city.

But local authorities changed track and allowed it after Japan’s hawkish defence minister offered prayers at a controversial war shrine in Tokyo last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/06/japan-says-recalling-envoy-to-skorea-over-new-comfort-woman-statue

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Abe is a bit of a oval office and stated in a newspaper article back in 2007 that there was no evidence that the Japanese government had kept sex slaves. Later in the month the Japanese parliament issued an official apology basically saying, "we know it happened, we're sorry, also we're sorry about Abe". Then again Korea is famous for getting butthurt over stuff well after the fact.

Here is a list of official Japanese apologies that specifically refer to comfort women.

-May 25, 1990: Prime Minister Toshiki Kaifu
-January 17, 1992: Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa
-July 6, 1992. Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Kato
-August 4, 1993: Chief Cabinet Secretary Yōhei Kōno
-August 31, 1994: Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama
-July 1995: Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama
-June 23, 1996: Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto
-July 15, 1998: Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto
-2001: Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
-August 15, 2005: Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
-December 28, 2015: Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Please do not hurt yourself in china, imagine having surgery!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blistex posted:

Abe is a bit of a oval office and stated in a newspaper article back in 2007 that there was no evidence that the Japanese government had kept sex slaves. Later in the month the Japanese parliament issued an official apology basically saying, "we know it happened, we're sorry, also we're sorry about Abe". Then again Korea is famous for getting butthurt over stuff well after the fact.

Here is a list of official Japanese apologies that specifically refer to comfort women.

-May 25, 1990: Prime Minister Toshiki Kaifu
-January 17, 1992: Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa
-July 6, 1992. Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Kato
-August 4, 1993: Chief Cabinet Secretary Yōhei Kōno
-August 31, 1994: Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama
-July 1995: Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama
-June 23, 1996: Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto
-July 15, 1998: Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto
-2001: Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
-August 15, 2005: Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
-December 28, 2015: Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida

It's one of those things that is absolutely 100% true and not disputable in any way given the 10,000s of testimonies and witness statements but for some reason Japan has constantly tired to deflect with either "It didn't happen like that" or "No you see they were willing prostitutes getting banged by 40-50 men a day until their wombs fell out"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

It IS sexual assault and there were several times I did make a scene. Some guys are really sneaky about it and will do this maneuver where they walk over to a woman standing near a door, next to a pole, hold on to it up high, then ever-so casually slide their hand down and over your breast as they exit the train. By the time you open your mouth, they're long gone.

Or they'll "lose their balance" and fall in your lap, and their hands JUST HAPPEN to land on your chest.

The best way to deal with this is to grab the fucker by the hand and hoist it over their head while screaming "CHIKAN!!!!!!!!" Other people definitely pay attention and will absolutely yell at him/shove him away from you.

The easiest way to deal with it is have an Australian boyfriend who's an amateur MMA fighter and has severe anger issues. He punched the guy, who staggered into the door just as it was opening. Groper made a run for it and my ex screamed GO ON WITHOUT ME and took off after him. That was pretty awesome.

Japanese men are sexually frustrated- a lot of families sleep in the same room, Japanese people gently caress less than pandas overall, a lot of men basically only gently caress hookers because they don't even have time to go home and try to gently caress the waifu, and arranged marriages are still a thing and don't always make for a good sex life- and I think their frustration manifests itself in strange ways. I mean, the amount of cash some guys blow on hostesses who are absolutely not screwing them...it blows my mind. And on the train, if you're quick and quiet, you can get away with it.

I once had a guy shove his briefcase under my skirt, just like in that X-Change game. It didn't work out for him.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

8th dan subway groper

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

BONGHITZ posted:

8th dan subway groper

Oh god, this was an article from more than a decade ago. But there was literally a public groper club where the leader "trained" other gropers and gave belts for their supposed level of skill. Higher levels involved jogging regularly so they could more easily evade police. They would hire women to help them practice groping, etc.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

EasternBronze posted:

TLDR; Teaching English is a silly job, dont do it for more than a year unless you have a reasonable expectation of jumping to a real job.

:sigh:

I'm in my ... 11th? year of teaching. It's all I ever wanted to do but now I'm wondering what possible other career is even open at this point.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Imperialist Dog posted:

:sigh:

I'm in my ... 11th? year of teaching. It's all I ever wanted to do but now I'm wondering what possible other career is even open at this point.

Organ farming?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cumslut1895 posted:

Organ farming?

He wouldn't survive the turf war with the CCP.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I like teaching.

THERE, I ADMIT IT.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I like teaching.

THERE, I ADMIT IT.

:11tea:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's nothing wrong with teaching or enjoying teaching. The issue is specifically with the ESL industry. I worked in it from 2008 to early 2016 and my soul just feels so much freer now that I'm not involved in it anymore.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Oh, yeah, the ESL industry is insane and horrible and frankly evil.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The government are cracking down on football teams spending obscene amounts of money to get players to go to a poo poo league in china

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38524429

quote:

A spokesperson for China's General Administration of Sport said clubs in the country were "burning money".

:popeye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

The government are cracking down on football teams spending obscene amounts of money to get players to go to a poo poo league in china

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38524429

:popeye:
But Unko Shee said they will be world-class fooseball country by 2020. How else can they do that without bringing in non-Chinese talent?

• Locked thread