Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I half-expected the cop chase to evolve into Nate's first firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
There was a point where they said something along the lines of "this is your last warning", and I was really expecting them to open fire after that, but they kept bumbling for another 5 minutes or so without even a warning shot, so I don't know. Maybe they just all left their guns in their cars or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wheany posted:

Kids are dumb

It's high time someone makes a character that never makes any mistakes. They may not be forever beloved by everyone like Jesus or that guy who came up with the sewing needle with an opening in the loop but it's about time for a completely logical character who's never wrong.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I find some of the transitions really weird. Why is a feathered wipe used to cut from the scene where they get on the motorcycle to the scene where they stop?

I guess I find slow wipes kinda' cheesy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cuz its the 80s

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It's kinda funny. I took an art history class and knew what the Roman and Etruscan coffins was before Nate did.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, but did you know at 10 years (or however old Nate is then) old? :smuggo:

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Tunahead posted:

Maybe it will be multiple choice, like in The Lord of the Rings. Future generations of video game scholars will debate which of these Nates, Sams, Rafes, Nadines, Sullies and Elenas are the two towers thieves.

Sully would probably be Peter in this silly analogy.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

RareAcumen posted:

It's high time someone makes a character that never makes any mistakes. They may not be forever beloved by everyone like Jesus or that guy who came up with the sewing needle with an opening in the loop but it's about time for a completely logical character who's never wrong.

It's high time someone admits that a game can have flaws pointed out and still be a liked game.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ometeotl posted:

It's high time someone admits that a game can have flaws pointed out and still be a liked game.
Why is it a flaw for a character to make a bad decision?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Before I forget, yet another thing this part did well?

Just as we're about ready to ask why Sam makes so big a deal about Rafe not being worthy of finding some pirate treasure, we get an answer. And it's a pretty decent one!

The whole thing is about finishing off Nate and Sam's mother's life's work. (Man. Lot of apostrophes there). While Nate moved on, for Sam that was The One Big Thing, the work that made his whole life have value. He and Nathan had one thing left from their parents, and this was his chance.

Of course he wasn't going to let some rich boy rear end in a top hat like Rafe take the credit. This was a family matter.

Again, brilliant timing, and an unfortunate (if unavoidable) casualty of the cruel realities of Let's Play as a format. On the upside, it made me notice how good the timing was there.

I understand the Naughty Dog compliments much better now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the first playable version of this level made a lot of 3D environment artists sweat a little harder with every additional room they walked through.

This had to have been either one of the first if not the first level to be put into the game, and was probably one of the last to be finished by the art team before going gold.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

There was definitely a group of dudes in the animation team who spent time in the proverbial doghouse with their spouses and had a serious conversation with each other about those times in some kind of semiofficial capacity for them to so, so so SO perfectly nail that i-love-you-but-i-am-seriously-close-to-losing-my-poo poo-here look Elena gives Nate at the end of the update. That really intense wide eyed gaze set in a too-calm face. Oh yeah. I know that look :smith:

Sure a lot of it is facial capture on a Pretty Good actor, but an art team still has to put the finer touches on that stuff. And they are some fine touches in that scene.

That whole scene was amazing. And I mean movie level amazing, not game level.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Ometeotl posted:

You are both looking for The Man In Black in HBO's Westworld

(the joke here is that such a character is actually really awful and neither of you actually wants the thing you both say you want)

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
This is definitely the part of the game where you can tell that the same team created Last of Us and it's this kind of level that was why I loved that game: just a really detailed environment that the player can walk through at their own leisure. That was what was best about Last of Us. I could play a whole game of just walking around in beautiful environments and gently caress the combat. Sure, maybe the dead lady at the end is a cop out but I feel like at the end of the level you get so much more out of it, character-wise. It's a great level and the upcoming section is fantastic as well.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the upcoming section is probably legit my favourite part of this game

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Samovar posted:

You mentioned the developers were inspired by Gone Home, and wow does it show. That type of game-story-telling is fantastic, and something I would wish to see implemented in more games (tho not just in exploring houses, of course).

Well, it may have been less obvious since it wasn't a house, but we did essentially the same peaceful exploration of a well visualized area while running into pieces of the story of someone else's life starting with the big island exploration level with Sam hunting down giant compass arrows. Granted, it wasn't the biggest focus of the area and we didn't get to the end of the doomed expedition materials until after some cutscene boat chase action.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zagglezig posted:

Well, it may have been less obvious since it wasn't a house, but we did essentially the same peaceful exploration of a well visualized area while running into pieces of the story of someone else's life starting with the big island exploration level with Sam hunting down giant compass arrows. Granted, it wasn't the biggest focus of the area and we didn't get to the end of the doomed expedition materials until after some cutscene boat chase action.

And on a different scale, think back to the actual first exploration of Libertalia. It's got a couple of talky dudes all through it, sure, but that's all environmental storytelling. All of it is looking at an abandoned settlement and seeing who it was made up of, how it worked, and ultimately why it's empty. You can play it on mute, entirely shutting the Drake boys out of it, and lose absolutely nothing.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I kinda have to wonder why Sam made up the whole "druglord breathing down my neck for loot" story when it seems like he could've easily been like "hey baby bro remember :siren:OUR DEAD MOM:siren: and her legacy??" and avoided trapping everyone in this web of lies. Hopefully we'll find out soon when Nate and Elena rescue Sam! I really warmed up to him when he insisted that the old lady shoot him and leave Nate alone, just like he did with Rafe before the flashback happened. The worst best big brother.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

standard owl posted:

I kinda have to wonder why Sam made up the whole "druglord breathing down my neck for loot" story when it seems like he could've easily been like "hey baby bro remember :siren:OUR DEAD MOM:siren: and her legacy??" and avoided trapping everyone in this web of lies.

have you ever known an alcoholic? or druggie? or been cheated on? I have a sibling right now who dodged their court ordered 28 days rehab for reasons they no doubt felt were good at the time, and are currently halfway through their 6 months jailtime. Some people are inept players, yet just love The GameTM.

When coming to his senses during the flashback sequence, Nate within the game is subsumed in the rhetorical question you ask here, and realizes his wife is the only real thing in his life ever, and snaps out of his midlife crisis bullshit because of it. which does not mean he does not genuinely love his brother. which triggers the game's third act, i'm guessing. Nate is realizing he's not a player. he's a person.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Sir Potato posted:

This is definitely the part of the game where you can tell that the same team created Last of Us and it's this kind of level that was why I loved that game: just a really detailed environment that the player can walk through at their own leisure. That was what was best about Last of Us. I could play a whole game of just walking around in beautiful environments and gently caress the combat. Sure, maybe the dead lady at the end is a cop out but I feel like at the end of the level you get so much more out of it, character-wise. It's a great level and the upcoming section is fantastic as well.

I mean the dead lady might not be the most elegant way to handle that bit but it serves as a fairly nice bridge from the Morgan's normal, if difficult, childhood and the Drake's life of adventure. If she had just gone down to the police and told them to go home, and had Nathan gone back to the orphanage then we'd be left with no understanding of why he later shows up in Columbia as a street urchin.The level is depicting Nathan and Sam leaving their childhoods behind and becoming video game protagonists. Evelyn is both their last tie to their old lives and a call to adventure; her death is thematically appropriate to the story.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
That is also a cool activity to do with other, non videogame media as well (also: other videogame media)

Hey, this guy is acting irrationally and all hosed up and poo poo. WHY?!?!?!?!***

***I bet this is the thing that the whatever it is piece of media is actually trying to talk to you about

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Willie Tomg posted:

have you ever known an alcoholic? or druggie? or been cheated on? I have a sibling right now who dodged their court ordered 28 days rehab for reasons they no doubt felt were good at the time, and are currently halfway through their 6 months jailtime. Some people are inept players, yet just love The GameTM.

When coming to his senses during the flashback sequence, Nate within the game is subsumed in the rhetorical question you ask here, and realizes his wife is the only real thing in his life ever, and snaps out of his midlife crisis bullshit because of it. which does not mean he does not genuinely love his brother. which triggers the game's third act, i'm guessing. Nate is realizing he's not a player. he's a person.

pretty much, that's why even with this revelation I can't like Sam. Sure his reason is it was his mothers legacy, but he's just got too many real characteristics of people who I've been burned by in life. Seen destroy themselves, hell had them destroy part of family life. So gently caress him.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Middle-aged white men and their emotional problems are so, so far removed from my life and perspective that I am basically watching this LP like an anthropologist studying an isolated tribe. yes this includes Sam, Nate, and gently caress I guess Rafe too? What's up with that guy?? Of all of Chip and Ironicus's LPs so far, this has probably helped me understand old white men the most. Watch_Dogs actually hurt my knowledge more than anything, but I'm really looking forward to MGSV: the Phantom Manpain to round the whole experience out.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Please do not use Watch_Dogs as a barometer for anything involving reasonable human behavior. This game is much better at explaining to you how middle aged white people behave. And people as a whole.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

standard owl posted:

Middle-aged white men and their emotional problems are so, so far removed from my life and perspective that I am basically watching this LP like an anthropologist studying an isolated tribe. yes this includes Sam, Nate, and gently caress I guess Rafe too? What's up with that guy?? Of all of Chip and Ironicus's LPs so far, this has probably helped me understand old white men the most. Watch_Dogs actually hurt my knowledge more than anything, but I'm really looking forward to MGSV: the Phantom Manpain to round the whole experience out.

I would read to see your term paper on Heavy Rain

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, if you mod MGSV to replace D-Dog and/or Quiet with Ocelot, then the manpain is pretty much gone from the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

standard owl posted:

I'm personally quite tired of basically the entirety of the western video games industry clearly going through a Dad Phase, because I want to be a dad about as much as I want to step on a floor covered in Lego bricks.

But I appreciate Uncharted 4's manifestation of dadliness being largely indirect, predominantly consisting of a general concept of 'it's okay to settle down' and a large amount of jokes only dads would laugh at.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hope there is an amusing incidental conversation about Nate's real last name.

Elena Morgan.:v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

standard owl posted:

You need video games to see middle-aged white men?
Cus there's a bunch of them, I'll introduce you to some.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also don't use video games to form an opinion on people. That's a really stupid thing to do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

Also don't use video games to form an opinion on people. That's a really stupid thing to do.

I dunno man, I've played a lot of multiplayer games with chat speak enabled.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Onmi posted:

I used them to learn about Arab culture and in a few days I'll be moving into the White House, so it seems like a winning strategy tbqh

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hope there is an amusing incidental conversation about Nate's real last name.

Elena Morgan.:v:

I thought that too, but it turns out Elena kept her last name when she married Nathan (which is more evident in the game's epilogue, but you can also see it on the travel guides Elena's written/working on during the intro). So it's still Elena Fisher.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Could've just kept it for her pen name as an author.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
That would have been my guess as well. She's built up a brand, so she/her publisher would want to hold on to that.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Okay, I've thought about it some more and

1) Sam lied about Alcazar because he's so consumed by the goal of finding Avery's treasure but simultaneously thinks that "hanging out with my long-lost brother and finally finishing what our deceased mother started :buddy:" isn't a compelling enough reason for Nate to join him. Because he's so obsessed with the hunt, this seems like a perfectly acceptable thing to do, even though it's apparent that he knows it's not right.

and/or

2) Sam is very insecure about his and Nate's relationship, especially after 15 years apart, so he made up this cool story about breaking out of prison and his life being in immediate danger to secure his younger brother's admiration/affection. And also maybe guilt trip him just a little bit...well, a lot

If it were just #1 I think Sam's logic loses me, but combined with #2 it makes a lot more sense. I guess there's also #3: Sam is a pathological liar?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I would read to see your term paper on Heavy Rain

I learned way too much about the psyche of one David Cage :negative:

Onmi posted:

I was being mostly facetious, but imo at least you get to learn about the writers/developers in an indirect way through their product. Sometimes too much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

standard owl posted:

I was being mostly facetious, but imo at least you get to learn about the writers/developers in an indirect way through their product. Sometimes too much.

Fables.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also Sam might have thought Nate would have said no if he said he's going to be going up against a private army. Granted Nate's already dealt with three of those and came up on top, but Sam doesn't really know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Oddly enough as soon as my son was born I went on a world-spanning archaeological race against time to stop nazis from unearthing an ancient plague.

• Locked thread