Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Solo running lacks the olfactory charm of a hungover formation run occasionally interspersed with lapping the DFAC.

rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. Bacon! rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end. rear end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasn't Bacon, just a virgin.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zeris posted:

Yeah we had some guys do that too. Why is that cool? Just beat up a detainee like the cool kids and then you've got a story for life instead of a useless loving pistol

I actually really like the Colt 1911 my unit sponsored when we got back from Afghanistan. Didn't carry it during deployment or anything but it's still a nice piece that I enjoy having around.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird food bathtub posted:

I actually really like the Colt 1911 my unit sponsored when we got back from Afghanistan. Didn't carry it during deployment or anything but it's still a nice piece that I enjoy having around.

The one we got was an overpriced FDE tan turd that doesn't accept fully loaded magazines without jamming, and one of the pins would work itself halfway out after a few range trips.

Also it has a loving retarded signal flag and our unit name on it so I can't find anyone who would want to buy it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

unless you're a medic or machine gunner having a pistol especially one you bought yourself is just masturbatory, for the weight that's like another 2 magazine for your rifle. Also gently caress eotechs forever they're loving garbage and I'm glad their dumb product is now tainted by that temperature scandal.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

The one we got was an overpriced FDE tan turd that doesn't accept fully loaded magazines without jamming, and one of the pins would work itself halfway out after a few range trips.

Also it has a loving retarded signal flag and our unit name on it so I can't find anyone who would want to buy it.
That sucks, can TFR help you out? Mine's fun to play with and hasn't given me problems like that so no idea what to look at.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Justin Tyme posted:

unless you're a medic or machine gunner having a pistol especially one you bought yourself is just masturbatory, for the weight that's like another 2 magazine for your rifle. Also gently caress eotechs forever they're loving garbage and I'm glad their dumb product is now tainted by that temperature scandal.

our medic company had 3 pistols

CO, XO, and one lucky PL got em of course

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My first tour a bunch of our BN scouts brought their personal glocks- their leadership kinda looked the other way- but as we were packing up to leave country, all of them scattered the parts over the length of Highway 8 from Baghdad to Kuwait.

Also, I would rather have a pistol than not. Sure, I knew I would probably never need it, but it doesn't weigh a lot, and it is always nice to have a backup. Plus, rolling around the FOB with a pistol in a but nicer than with a rifle.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if you get to the point where you're using your backup weapon you're probably hosed anyway. you're not basil plumley.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
What's nice about MP companies is EVERYONE gets a pistol. Only had to touch my 16/203 when leaving the wire.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Tankers too.

M9 fo lyfe.

Rifles are for the bustle rack.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If I was a line haul 88m I would prob prefer a m9 in the cab TBH

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

its curtains for Kevin posted:

If I was a line haul 88m I would prob prefer a m9 in the cab TBH

Yeah, less mass to get thrown around at you when an IED goes off.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What's wrong with an EOTECH? I've only used one once but it seemed better than a 68.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mustang posted:

What's wrong with an EOTECH? I've only used one once but it seemed better than a 68.

Thermal drift of the dot in extreme heat or cold.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

They chew batteries.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Also the springs inside the battery caps can sometimes have the glue go, and then they fall out and leave the unit useless.

If you want more reasons, go to http://soldiersystems.net/ and just search "EOTech." That should give you plenty of reading material. The fact that they had a mass voluntary refund last year over that thermal drift issue is pretty damning.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
If only the Elcan SpecterDR wasn't heavy as a loving brick and costs almost as much as if you'd made it out of solid 24k gold.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

The Rat posted:

Also the springs inside the battery caps can sometimes have the glue go, and then they fall out and leave the unit useless.

If you want more reasons, go to http://soldiersystems.net/ and just search "EOTech." That should give you plenty of reading material. The fact that they had a mass voluntary refund last year over that thermal drift issue is pretty damning.

They were quick with their refund checks though. I think I waited just under 8 weeks after turning in my 512.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My unit tested the EoTechs for the 82d. Almost no one liked them- we had problems with brand new ones having battery contract issues, and not holding zero, along with other poo poo. Also had a couple crack on jumps and fail to live up to the manufacturer promise of still working/holding zero. I just didn't like them. No real reason, just preferred the CCO.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Acog4lyfe

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Sometimes I get the vague urge to build a clone of the M4 I carried. Nothing fancy, CCO, huge surefire light and a PAQ4.

Then I realize it would be inferior in every way to my other ARs and I stop.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Goddamn it I'm gonna loving shoot myself with these goddamn things if you keep loving talking about them.

Goddamn nerds.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

TBeats posted:

Acog4lyfe

ACOG's are awesome and I'm waiting for a decent used one to pop up to throw on my AR. I also still have the Kevlar underwear they issued us. So going to the range will be just like back in Afghanistan!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Soulex posted:

Goddamn it I'm gonna loving shoot myself with these goddamn things if you keep loving talking about them.

Goddamn nerds.

Wahhhh, people talking about guns in the army thread

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Rat posted:

Wahhhh, people talking about shooting themselves in the army thread

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

Wahhhh, people talking about shooting themselves in the army thread

:drat:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Rat posted:

Sometimes I get the vague urge to build a clone of the M4 I carried. Nothing fancy, CCO, huge surefire light and a PAQ4.

Then I realize it would be inferior in every way to my other ARs and I stop.

When I own my own house and can have a no-poo poo gun safe installed in it one thing I've promised myself is an AR specifically to mimic what I carried around because gently caress you I'm mostly an adult and I make my own money. Not really practical for anything but fun, will definitely need something else for hunting and the like but I don't care at all.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I only had an elcan for a day but that poo poo was amazing.

Acog looks fancy though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ACOGs are meh to me. It does nothing extremely well, and everything kind of mediocre. Every so often I think about getting another, then I remember I keep selling them off to get something I like better.
I also have an M4 clone with everything but the IR laser. It is nice to play with every so often, but it isn't a "work" rifle. I have used it in some comps, but that was before I fell into the rabbit hole and started buying cooler poo poo. No where near rat levels though. He is a mother fucker (j/k cool goon with cool poo poo. Post your Korne gun)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Well if you insist ;-*

timg'ing these so they aren't too obnoxious.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Rat posted:

loving nerd

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:nallears:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Rekt

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Nuthin' but net.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bird food bathtub posted:

When I own my own house and can have a no-poo poo gun safe installed in it one thing I've promised myself is an AR specifically to mimic what I carried around because gently caress you I'm mostly an adult and I make my own money. Not really practical for anything but fun, will definitely need something else for hunting and the like but I don't care at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that has this goal. Like, I know how absolutely retarded it is yet for some reason I want to do it, just like when I was told to not enlist and not go infantry.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Goddamn rekt.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I haven't even seen a gun in 2.5 years and I'm still in. I think that's cool.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Aranan posted:

I haven't even seen a gun in 2.5 years and I'm still in. I think that's cool.

Does the Army get as sandy vagina over being called a POG as the marines? Everyone I ever worked with basically had to marry a rifle or M9.

The Air Force wouldn't let me have one and that made me mad for reasons head injuries made me forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
Turning back the clock to NVG chat, I completely motherfucking despise the PVS-7. Migraine machine that never sets right, and I have to basically beat the supply SSG over the head with something to even get them.

You know what, that might be my biggest gripe about the Army. I lucked into an actually pretty good NG unit, leadership could always be better but at least they give a poo poo about the guys (not so much my current PSG and I am leery of our new PL, but the first is taking his butterball rear end off to an SF Guard unit in Maryland to try and not embarass himself at selection, and the other is probably moldable enough that he won't burn the place down), but I have yet to have a supply sergeant who isn't a totally useless piece of poo poo.

I shouldn't have to jump up and down on people to get basic gear issued. I shouldn't have to threaten knocking on the squadron commander's door to get you to loosen your grip on NVG when me and my junior medics are going to be doing night training stuff with a dismounted light infantry element, walking through woods on overcast nights. Or driving in the training area on Ft. Drum when it's blackout only. What loving genius decided that the medics driving the POS ambulances didn't need night vision to drive at night?

Long story short, someone tell me where I can go to get my eyes fixed like Riddick. I even work at night at my Real Job, it would be practical.