Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The_Franz posted:

Up until 2006 or 2007 all Chrysler minivans were hilariously easy to steal because they didn't come standard with any kind of chipped or coded keys. It was technically available as a dealer option, but almost nobody got it. On top of that, they physical security of the ignition system was worse than what GM or Ford had back in the 70s. All it took was a few seconds with a screwdriver to pop the ignition lock out and you could start it with a twig if you wanted to. Even if you had the chipped key option installed, people would still smash the window and tear out the ignition before realizing that it couldn't be stolen.

ATM thieves in particular really like them because they can quickly steal one, crash through the doors of a store and throw the ATM right in the back.

Any time I think of ATM thieves I can't help but remember Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

thatguy posted:

what kind of company buys something as ungodly beautiful and a symbol of true perfection like the boxy jeep cherokee and then literally lets it stew in their gut of design and then out pops a poo poo-covered jeep liberty, shouldn't be possible to ruin perfection but chrysler managed
lol i had to lookup what a jeep liberty is, what an ugly piece of poo poo

my parents used to own an old white CJ 76 like this that we'd use on road trips and offroading, that thing was cool as gently caress tho it took me awhile to get used to driving without powersteering/brakes so it was kinda weird.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO21RcSx8Eo

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

mostlygray posted:

I've driven Dodge vehicles with over 300,000 miles on the odometer without a rebuild many times. The 3.3 purrs like a kitten. I've always been a Dodge man and always will be. I've driven a Dodge slant six truck truck that would start at any temperature above 45 below easy. Below that, you just have to apply a little english and she'd go. It was a 1980 Slant Six Dodge W150. At 50 below the gas won't volatilize so just stay in bed.

I have a Dodge Caravan which replaced a Dodge Caravan. I have a Dodge Journey. There is a Dodge Neon that is sitting in my driveway.

My favorite engines are the 318, 2.2, 2.5, and, above all, the 225 Slant Six. You can put a handful of gravel down the intake it won't even dip the idle speed. I used to keep my Truck in 4 low and just reach in and turn the key to move it forward when I was on the farm. Always started like a dream. Say what you want, feel free to hate Daimler, but never talk about my Dodge ladies. They always run, and they run well.

Boy howdy, shucks, etc.

Here's a guy that's at least 75 years old and enjoys himself by placing his junk on a metal benchtop and slamming a lead-filled deadblow hammer onto it repeatedly. Anyone who lists a 318 or 2.5 as a 'favorite engine' is either a boat-anchor enthusiast or a masochist, or both.

And the Slant Six is both the least powerful engine ever made that weighs 600lbs fully dressed and long-eclipsed in the reliability department by the 4.0 Jeep motor.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I like to play Gran Turisimo 6! Ruf Yellowbird!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

butterbar posted:

Only teo if those companies still exist

Hell, Mitsubishi might not be around much longer either.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

It's actually a miracle that Chrysler is still in existence. Have they ever made a good or interesting car?

Plymouth Superbird

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
All cars are made by GM now, don't be fooled by marketing.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
i own an 2006 Chrysler town ampersand country miniature van and i love it

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm the cheap plastic piece that breaks in every mid-2000's Chrysler gear selector. Also, the silly putty Pacifica frame.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Honky Dong Country posted:

Doesn't hemi pretty much always mean gently caress you at the pump? Again, I'm not a motorhead, but I've always kinda figured that you either get crazy power, crazy fuel economy, or a middleground somewhere, but never both crazy power and crazy fuel economy.

If you essentially like the feeling of driving with your engine flooding all the time and you wonder what magic keeps the thing from stalling if you aren't hammering down torque. :shrug:

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Can't put a "DODGE the father, RAM the daughter" sticker in the back window of that there Ferd truck tho.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ill Peripheral posted:

Can't put a "DODGE the father, RAM the daughter" sticker in the back window of that there Ferd truck tho.

You can actually parallel park a dodge truck though. :shrug:

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
My cousin used to laugh at my '82 300 SD from the seat of his sleek new Chrysler 300, until that piece of plastic poo poo flaked apart and died at like 80,000 miles. SD's got 400,000 miles and is still purring.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
when i was buying a van alot of people said ford is best some said chevy some said gmc but they all said lol gently caress a dodge

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dodge: the name of our company tells you what to do

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Get a minivan. They're great!

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
:clint: "what truck do ya drive"
:) *Something that's not a Dodge RAM*
:roflolmao: "What kinda truck is that?????" *Hillbilly laugh*

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You can actually parallel park a dodge truck though. :shrug:

Nope. Only back into spots.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

chrysler is and has always been complete loving garbage. almost as bad is mitsubishi. it is still highly amusing to me that the two of them collaborated on a few vehicles, it's like they both knew how bad they sucked and they teamed up knowing nobody else would want to work with either of them.

this is my daily driver. reports of it being dangerous are highly exaggerated. just don't be an absolute dumbass and you are fine.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
"ram Cummins my hemi hole"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

also gm currently has cars out there with engines that last ~20k miles before they explode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JZzPz9nnW0

do not buy american cars you loving maroons.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cubey posted:

do not buy american cars you loving maroons.

ya if you want low maintenance buy japanese
if you don't mind maintenance buy german
if you're a cheapass who doesn't care about anything buy korean

lol @ buying american cars

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the only reasonable argument that ever existed for buying american cars vs. buying literally anything else was that the parts were cheaper. this is a) no longer the case and b) was always a weak argument anyhow because you'd be fixing that poo poo 5 times as often so any savings were pointless.

i can only assume anyone who actually buys this poo poo in 2017 is doing so either out of blind brand loyalty or blind patriotism, neither of which is a good reason to blow $15k+ on anything, cars or otherwise.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I love car threads because it's like no one in GBS has driven a car newer than a 91 and they base all their knowledge off of something a dude at NAPA told them once.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My 2013 Ecoboost F-150 feels worlds better than all the garbage rear end Rams and Chevys/GMCs I tried out beforehand. But I wish I could've found a manual trans model.

The back-up camera regularly mistakes the ball hitch for an obstacle, though. lol

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Got a 95 Dakota Sport second hand from my dad. From 50k to finally surrendering at 140k I had to replace the head gasket twice. The look on the mechanics face when I asked him to plane the head for the second time :catstare:

Now driving a 2001 Grand Marquis with 240k on it, im gonna keep pulling Town Cars/Crown Vics/Marquis off of used car lots until I die.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i also make poo poo cars

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Why do black people love the 300M so much

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chinatown posted:

ive been tempted to buy a Challenger SRT for my next car but lol I have read some completely insane poo poo about things breaking on them with less than 20k miles so yeesh probably not.

"Dodge come in under a lot of comparable models in price, but if you own your vehicle for more than 3 years then you're going to make up for that difference in the garage, and when you do decide to trade in or sell yourself you'll find that they do not retain their value like other vehicles." - a friend of mine who told me to leave his Dodge dealership he was a mechanic at.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I want a new car should I buy a Chevy or a Ford?

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Blistex posted:

"Dodge come in under a lot of comparable models in price, but if you own your vehicle for more than 3 years then you're going to make up for that difference in the garage, and when you do decide to trade in or sell yourself you'll find that they do not retain their value like other vehicles." - a friend of mine who told me to leave his Dodge dealership he was a mechanic at.

My dad works for Nintedo Dodge supe head quarters and he said the same thing. It's all part of the plan.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I got a new Chevy Equinox a few years ago, 50k miles and no problems yet. Its comfortable and functional. People who drive Hondas/Toyotas/Subarus always remark on what a nice vehicle it is when they ride with me. :shrug:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If you're going to buy a Fiat Chrysler product buy a Alfa Romeo. It will still be kind of crappy and break down but at least it will look good doing it.
Why would you opt for American design with Italian engineering.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Flambeau posted:

I got a new Chevy Equinox a few years ago, 50k miles and no problems yet. Its comfortable and functional. People who drive Hondas/Toyotas/Subarus always remark on what a nice vehicle it is when they ride with me. :shrug:

You poor bastard. That car is so nutless it's like negative nuts, it's got ovaries.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

The only dodge I've owned was a complete shitbox.

My mercury and chevy cars held together well

and my honda sucked.

thats my car story gbs

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
Whenever I see someone driving a late model American car of any type I judge the poo poo out of them. Like I just assume they're dumb, which isn't fair because all I really know for sure is they're dumb about cars.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

FedEx Mercury posted:

You poor bastard. That car is so nutless it's like negative nuts, it's got ovaries.

I got a trailer hitch for the sole purpose of displaying the biggest, brassiest set of Trucknutz available. Also I hang sunglasses from the rearview mirror and wear Tapout t-shirts so everyone knows I'm the big dog of the supermarket parking lot.
It evens out.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

I drive a prius OP, thats why I'm obsessed with death and futility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

NihilismNow posted:

If you're going to buy a Fiat Chrysler product buy a Alfa Romeo. It will still be kind of crappy and break down but at least it will look good doing it.
Why would you opt for American design with Italian engineering.

sorry but americans, specifically dodge drivers, are too fat to fit into an alfa romeo

• Locked thread