Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You can lure the bodyguard away with coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

double nine posted:

the bodies'll get discovered though. I'm talking finding a way to murder both without witnesses and with enough time to hide the bodies. And no KOs. It is probably impossible but I'm asking anyway.

look at the video I posted

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mp5 posted:

look at the video I posted

missed it, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I'll probably try something slightly different just for the sake of it but it's a good place to start.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

double nine posted:

Is it theoretically possible to finish The Showstopper with Suit only, no knock-outs, no bodies found? I've been racking my brain but especially victor is impossible

If you can hit the bodyguard with an emetic syringe, you should have plenty of time to take out Novikov and hide the body before the guard comes back from puking.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

double nine posted:

Is it theoretically possible to finish The Showstopper with Suit only, no knock-outs, no bodies found? I've been racking my brain but especially victor is impossible

Position yourself behind the coin-operated diorama, and place a gun near the unsafe right corner. (Near where there's already a coin laying on the ground.) Activate the diorama to lure Victor and his guard. The guard gets distracted by the gun and carries it off. While the guard's doing that, Victor cuts through the storeroom with the diorama instead of going straight to the stage. That storeroom corner is a perfect place to take Victor down, and there's even a box there to ditch the body.

This takes a TON of trial and error to get the timing and positioning just right, but it's how I SASOed Paris.

I don't actually know how you'd take down Dalia without knocking any guards out or leaving her ("accidentally" killed) body out in the open. I just finished my SASO by sneaking into her bathroom through the attic and knocking out anyone who came to check on her sinks. It might be possible to use guns to distract guards in her bathroom too, although I don't know how the timing would work.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

gtrmp posted:

If you can hit the bodyguard with an emetic syringe, you should have plenty of time to take out Novikov and hide the body before the guard comes back from puking.

Yeah removing the guard with rat poison'd sushi then emetic syringing novikov sounds like a pretty reliable way to do this. Unless he ends up puking in a garbage can or something, I haven't tried it.

edit: Unrelated, but does anyone else really, really dislike subduing guards around corners? The window between grabbing him and punching him in the face, ruining your SA run, seems frustratingly small and hard to land.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 6, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My route would be to either start in the auction or (if you want to do a default start) grab the invitation from the ground floor bathroom and head there. Sit down at the auction and have the conversation with Dahlia, then as soon as she leaves sneak into the attic and get around to the ledge and climb in the window into her bathroom. Hide in the closet. After meeting "Tobias Rieper" she gets a little suspicious so she goes to her bathroom to make a phone call to request a background check on you. I believe she only does this once, so make sure you're in the bathroom waiting for her. Easy kill / hide here.

For Novikov, I'd steal the fireworks remote (this isn't too hard to do if you just chuck something to distract the tech crew guy there while the guard is in the bathroom), then make your way down to the big porch near the helicopter where Novikov goes out to rant about the fireworks. Set them off and when he does, poke his bodyguard with the emetic syringe, and Novikov will be all alone. You can kill him and probably won't even need to move his body - you can just run to the helicopter before the fireworks end.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Yeah removing the guard with rat poison'd sushi then emetic syringing novikov sounds like a pretty reliable way to do this. Unless he ends up puking in a garbage can or something, I haven't tried it.

Yeah, but after you poison the guard you don't have another opportunity to nab Novikov until he loops back around and won't the bodyguard be done puking by then?

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't actually know how you'd take down Dalia without knocking any guards out or leaving her ("accidentally" killed) body out in the open.

Show up to the auction as Rieper and kill her when she goes to the bathroom to call her friend about you.

efb

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

So, for future reference, if you blow up the wall with the secret tunnel in sapienza, and Francesa is doing her thing with the detective, she will use that as a way to get back. So close to beating the lyndon gyration escalation. :doh:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Spent the last hour or so figuring out ways to SASO World of Tomorrow and House Built on Sand. Both were easy but really satisfying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

On an entirely different note, is it possible to disable the intro logo videos(AMD, speedtree etc)? Haven't found anything by googling.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Do the bonus missions contribute towards mastery for the destination they are based on? What about Holiday Hoarders?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AdmiralViscen posted:

Do the bonus missions contribute towards mastery for the destination they are based on? What about Holiday Hoarders?

I know holiday hoarders doesn't, and I don't think the bonus mission do either.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't think they do, but there are unlocks for each of them based on challenges you complete within the bonus missions. For The Icon it's some mini-Icon toy, for House Built on Sand it's a blade, for Holiday Hoarders it's the Santa Suit, and for Master Sniper it's a Jaeger of some kind.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got rumbled in Thailand and was running for the boat with everyone shooting at me.

NPC was repeating "it's only a videogame, it's only a videogame" to himself as a mantra :v:

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 6, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

man, I like this game but getting to know a new map with all complex architecture & npc routines is rough.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

skooma512 posted:

I got rumbled in Thailand and was running for the boat with everyone shooting at me.

NPC was repeating "it's only a videogame, it's only a videogame" to himself as a mantra :v:

Some of the civilian lines when things are getting spicy are pretty great.

"You can't kill me! I just fell in love for the first time! You wouldn't want me to never feel true love?!"

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I just picked up this game and immediately jumped into the Wet Bandits mission.

I am now going to unlock Santa 47 before I continue with the rest of the game. This is the smartest thing for me to do, right?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Chexoid posted:

So, for future reference, if you blow up the wall with the secret tunnel in sapienza, and Francesa is doing her thing with the detective, she will use that as a way to get back. So close to beating the lyndon gyration escalation. :doh:

"Hmm, this passage has been blocked for 100 years but is now open? Who cares, free shortcut!"

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

double nine posted:

man, I like this game but getting to know a new map with all complex architecture & npc routines is fun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pyroi posted:

I am now going to unlock Santa 47 before I continue with the rest of the game. This is the smartest thing for me to do, right?

You've made the right choice. Silent Santa runs are my favorite way to play.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I finally finished my SASO run of Marrakesh. It was my very first time on that level so between all the experimentation and mistakes I don't want to know how many times I saved and reloaded.

It was so freeing doing it that way, though. On Paris and Sapienza it felt like everything was a test run for the eventual SASO attempt but now that I've gotten it out of the way (and Sniper Assassin, which was a cakewalk) I don't need to care much at all about hiding bodies or non-target kills as I do the other challenges and get the rest of the Mastery levels.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I don't really get why they give points for the sniper assassin challenge on Sapienza when level 20 unlock on that map is all but required to finish it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Can't you still get challenges like that using the custom contracts? I saw some stuff on Youtube showing that last night working through Sapienza

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

skooma512 posted:

I don't really get why they give points for the sniper assassin challenge on Sapienza when level 20 unlock on that map is all but required to finish it.

Much easier I imagine, but not required. I did it from the ruins with the first Jaegar gun by sniping Silvio while he was golfing and sniping Francesca standing on the pier.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pyroi posted:

That's what I did. Probably look up a youtube video on the challenges like collecting all the items before they do, as they are pretty fast! That said, Harry grabbed the sword in the attic before me, but I knocked him out and still got the challenge completed for getting all the items. All I had to do afterwards is just lure a guard near him to wake him up and go back on his routine.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Lobok posted:

Much easier I imagine, but not required. I did it from the ruins with the first Jaegar gun by sniping Silvio while he was golfing and sniping Francesca standing on the pier.

What about the one that requires two kills in one shot? I had to use a contract to cheese the setup

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's an escalation mission where you can get the double snipe. I'm sorry I don't remember what it's called, but it's the one where you have to kill a gardener, the golf coach, and a mansion guard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mzbundifund posted:

There's an escalation mission where you can get the double snipe. I'm sorry I don't remember what it's called, but it's the one where you have to kill a gardener, the golf coach, and a mansion guard.

I kind of get the joke of the Escalation names, but it does make it extremely hard for most players to remember them apart. I can't remember the Didgeridoo Gambit from the Xylophone Mysterium or w/e

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

skooma512 posted:

What about the one that requires two kills in one shot? I had to use a contract to cheese the setup

Oh, you're talking about the Master Sniper stuff. Yeah, that would require the second sniper rifle. Though I think the Master Sniper challenges were added to the game/level later.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Any way to disable the white outline around targeter characters and doors etc?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I kind of get the joke of the Escalation names, but it does make it extremely hard for most players to remember them apart. I can't remember the Didgeridoo Gambit from the Xylophone Mysterium or w/e

The only one I remember having a meaningful name is the Paris one that's called "The Kerner Disquiet" which just involved blowing people up with explosives in the basement. Good name.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It's not a specific escalation, but The Himmapan Horror is a really entertaining name.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skooma512 posted:

I still love that if you kick a guy in a bathing suit in Italy into the water you get a kill against your score. I also do it whenever I take the speedboat. Out of my way nerd!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
My favourite thing to do with that speedboat is shoot anyone I can in the face from the end of the dock before bouncing. It's cathartic.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

RBA Starblade posted:

I still love that if you kick a guy in a bathing suit in Italy into the water you get a kill against your score. I also do it whenever I take the speedboat. Out of my way nerd!

That's how I did the Bangkok Sarajevo Six mission in less than 20 seconds. Start on the dock, push the guy into the water, hightail it to the boat. I can only assume the water is filthy with piranhas!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Hahaha I thought I was the only one who always punted that guy into the ocean when doing the speedboat escape. He's just, right there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chexoid posted:

Hahaha I thought I was the only one who always punted that guy into the ocean when doing the speedboat escape. He's just, right there.

Is that one of the guys who's gossiping about Francesca and the golf coach or is that a different dude?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

skooma512 posted:

I really appreciate that NPC barks and so on prioritize humour and silliness. The game knows when to be serious, but at its heart knows the central concept is very daft and doesn't work on a realistic level. Informing the player of the world state and have fun with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you shoot the guard who compliments 47's tux, calls him James Bond, and drops a friendly request to go get a martini somewhere else, you are a monster.