Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shrek is a parody of all the traditional Disney movies because Jeffrey Katzenberg was really bitter about Michael Eisner not promoting him to be company president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One gripe, among many, I have with the prequels is that Anakin and Obi-Wan should at least be a decade older. Obi-Wan is obviously sixty after twenty years in exile while Anakin would look much older than fifty on account of him being a refrosted piece of overcooked meat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Saint Freak posted:

That doesn't really match up with what the movies show though. Anakin recognizes them as jedis and he's like 5 years old. Watto does too and he's some kind of bug-man junk dealer that's probably never left Tatooine. But in 4 Han Solo who has supposedly been everywhere is like 'lol the force isn't real'.

Maybe it's kind of like priests. You see a dude in a preists' outfit you know they're preists. But you don't expect them to bust out holy miracles or anything. So yeah, dudes in robes with laser swords are jedi, but the force is kind of a joke because who would believe you can choke someone with magical powers until you're being choked from across the room.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bitterandtwisted posted:

I think they got R2 and 3PO's backstories the wrong way round.
Have Anakin build R2. Anakin worked in a repair shop and a repair droid would be useful. Plus R2 seemed to have a lot of non-standard features and spent the rest of the prequels with Anakin and Obi-Wan.
3PO could have just been a droid the queen already owned. Protocol droids sound like the wort of thing a queen would have.

Or better yet don't give Anakin robot building skills that would never be seen or referenced again in the franchise.

It's all to explain why Chewie was allowed to repair Threepio on Cloud City.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gitro posted:

Someone brought it up earlier in the thread but Jyn's mum getting herself pointlessly killed was really dumb. Like what was the plan, point your one gun at 4 soldiers and hope they'll surrender? She didn't even make sure her daughter was in the rock bunker before running off.

I was hoping force monk dude would have a doomed last stand against Vader, just holding him off for a minute or two while the rest of the gang ran somewhere.

I read somewhere that originally her mother was a Jedi, so being able to take on 4 soldiers is a reasonable assumption. They changed that, but the scene remained pretty much the same.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One plot I find irritating, whether it's in movies, television, books or elsewhere, is when all the characters are under control of something except for one person who's unaffected and needs to take out the rest of them. You know, that Invasion of the Bodysnatchers plot. I don't know what it is about it that rubs me the wrong way, but I'm not a fan.

Examples: any of those Star Trek episodes where the ship is affected by some alien virus or mind control parasite or whatever.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

One plot I find irritating, whether it's in movies, television, books or elsewhere, is when all the characters are under control of something except for one person who's unaffected and needs to take out the rest of them. You know, that Invasion of the Bodysnatchers plot. I don't know what it is about it that rubs me the wrong way, but I'm not a fan.

Examples: any of those Star Trek episodes where the ship is affected by some alien virus or mind control parasite or whatever.

Farscape did an amazing piss take of this - the crew buy a load of food only to be told it's probably carrying some sort of parasite, and are coerced into spending lots of money on a gibberish squeaking muppet that resembles Michael Gove (but I repeat myself ) that can allegedly track it down.

The muppet spends the whole episode annoying the poo poo out of them and chasing all over the ship causing chaos. The crew hate the thing so much, and start to think that maybe they've been conned, or that the muppet itself is the parasite that they don't notice they've been gradually replaced by shapeshifting spiders

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Farscape sounds like something I have to watch. How is it on a scale of Enterprise to DS9?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Better than Enterprise and on par with DS9 except it has more goofy episodes like Stargate.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I stopped watching early on after some dreadful episode where the lead gets marooned on a planet full of Hawaiian people, but apparently everyone knows it's terrible so it only gets better.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bates posted:

Farscape sounds like something I have to watch. How is it on a scale of Enterprise to DS9?

Around DS9 quality, series ends abruptly (final episode ends on a cliffhanger, series was canned instead of being renewed. Made-for-TV movie that wraps up the plot lines was okay, all things considered). Stronger than DS9's weakest points, weaker than DS9's strongest moments, but around the same quality.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bates posted:

It has a lot of crazy goofy episodes like the above, but the later seasons ratchet up the seriousness. It becomes less of a swashbuckling romp, and more a story of incredibly broken people being pushed to the absolute limit to survive, caught between two brutal empires.

It also has a really nice escalation throughout the series - as our heroes learn more about the galaxy and gain allies they very gradually shift from a bunch of dumb hicks on a spaceship to an actual force to be reckoned with, and the whole scope of the show starts to zoom out.

It's bloody brilliant, basically.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The middle of season 2 has two episodes back to back (Crackers Don't Matter and The Way We Weren't) that perfectly demonstrate the heights of silliness and heart-wrenching the show can achieve. They are two of my favorite episodes of television.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Farscape is one of those shows where when you hear it described it sounds like the dumbest thing you've ever heard of, but if you give it a fair shot it's a lot of fun. There are definitely low points like with every show, but for what it is it's pretty great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I stopped watching early on after some dreadful episode where the lead gets marooned on a planet full of Hawaiian people, but apparently everyone knows it's terrible so it only gets better.

Apparently the dvd commentary is the entire cast just doing pisstakes of it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Farscape is one of those shows where when you hear it described it sounds like the dumbest thing you've ever heard of, but if you give it a fair shot it's a lot of fun. There are definitely low points like with every show, but for what it is it's pretty great.

The science is dumb, but the character growth and conflict is pretty great.
Hell, even the ship gets character development.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Farscape starts off a bit weakly because it's still finding its feet, but it gets great once Scorpius shows up.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Farscape starts off a bit weakly because it's still finding its feet, but it gets great once Scorpius Harvey shows up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The hero in Farscape goes completely batshit insane and it's amazing

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

rydiafan posted:

The middle of season 2 has two episodes back to back (Crackers Don't Matter and The Way We Weren't) that perfectly demonstrate the heights of silliness and heart-wrenching the show can achieve. They are two of my favorite episodes of television.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I gave farscape a shot a while ago but I couldn't get past the 90s feel after an episode or two, but you've all convinced me to give it another try.

How many episodes should I watch before I decide it's not cut out for me? Some shows deserve half a season of semi-watching while playing a game or whatever before it gets its stride, so at what point should I know whether it's worth continuing for me?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bobkatt013 posted:

The hero in Farscape goes completely batshit insane and it's amazing

The back on and forth with that one alien in peacekeeper wars was great.

"Time, " - "Flies."
"Time, " - "Bandits."
"Time, " - "Wounds all heals."
"Time, " - "Rosemary and... "
"Time, " - "Time ends."

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Farscape is awesome, but it does suffer badly from first-season-itis.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The angst-ridden teenage character in Farscape is a spaceship.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aleph Null posted:

The science is dumb, but the character growth and conflict is pretty great.
For me it gets a complete pass on bad science since it's set in a universe where magic explicitly exists. There are mystical priests and evil space wizards and a guy with a portal to the afterlife in his face. It's pretty clear you're not dealing with a realistic setting.

Taeke posted:

How many episodes should I watch before I decide it's not cut out for me? Some shows deserve half a season of semi-watching while playing a game or whatever before it gets its stride, so at what point should I know whether it's worth continuing for me?
I think episode seven (PK Tech Girl) was particularly good. You could probably skip episodes 4 and 6 without missing anything of value.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My sort of intro to Farscape I think was the 'best of season one' sort of collection on DVD about 12-14 years ago from a video store because I couldn't watch it on my cable plan.

According to a link I find, it had: "Premiere," "DNA Mad Scientist," "A Human Reaction," "Nerve," "The Hidden Memory," and "Family Ties".

So, maybe that's a decent enough burn through for season 1 because I don't think I watched the remaining episodes of the season until way later and didn't feel super lost.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In IJATLC (Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade) they are searching for the Roman numeral X (that means ten). They can't find it anywhere but then Indy (that short for Indiana Jones) notices something on the floor that the camera keeps hidden from view. Then he climbs a staircase and the camera pulls out to reveal a big X on the floor. There is no reason for Indy to have to climb the staircase. The X is easily visible from the floor he was standing on. It's not so large that he needs a higher view to see all of it nor is X such a complicated symbol it would be hard to figure out without some perspective. Draw an X 10 feet by 10 feet on the floor. You will have no problem identifying it as such at ground level.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

In IJATLC (Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade) they are searching for the Roman numeral X (that means ten). They can't find it anywhere but then Indy (that short for Indiana Jones) notices something on the floor that the camera keeps hidden from view. Then he climbs a staircase and the camera pulls out to reveal a big X on the floor. There is no reason for Indy to have to climb the staircase. The X is easily visible from the floor he was standing on. It's not so large that he needs a higher view to see all of it nor is X such a complicated symbol it would be hard to figure out without some perspective. Draw an X 10 feet by 10 feet on the floor. You will have no problem identifying it as such at ground level.

More like olddramaticeffectless

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

It was a movie effect that depended on a joke about "X never marks the spot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgawbvBAkg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that irritated me when I was little was why He-Man evwn bothered with a secret identity when Skeletor wanted to kill Prince Adam and all his friends and family anyway.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing that irritated me when I was little was why He-Man evwn bothered with a secret identity when Skeletor wanted to kill Prince Adam and all his friends and family anyway.

Because then he'd get harassed by the Paparazzi and people needing him to open tight jar lids.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

He needs to be Prince Adam because sometimes he needs to just keep it inside, learn how to hide his feeeeeelings

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's like you guys never had to deal with being in the closet lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Star Wars I never cared for it as a whole (saw the first 6 movies basically once each in my entire life) but I realised something about Yoda a few years ago that gave me new appreciation for the way he was - I realised why he sounds that way. His sentence structure is consistent Verb, Subject, Object, tense . For theoretical examples - "You will/must/should/did go to Coruscant" becomes "Go to Coruscant, you will/should/did..." It's cargo-cult Commom Tongue - his original language has the unusual structure, but he knows the common words. He likely is self-taught as a tutor or course would have taught him the common Subject-Verb(tense)-Object structure of english and he'd likely be putting sentences together like the others. He only knows the words he's trying to get across though, so the structure gets garbled - it's like translating from an eastern language like japanese without knowing european syntax: The sentence would stay in the original grammar.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
RE: Rogue one, can we acknowledge that it takes balls to kill off your entire cast?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not really considering they only did it to maintain the status quo for Episode 4 to play out like it does (as in not having to answer where these brand new characters are during the next movie). It also would have been better if the movie had made me care about any of these new characters, which it didn't.

Although i will agree that i didn't see that coming. I was expecting to see these same characters again for the next few decades or so and maybe they will be better written in the next movie or somethi-nope nevermind they're all dead. I wonder if they are going to keep Star Wars fairly tight and consistent with just doing one off movies and then the main "episodic" movies and aren't going to take the Marvel route where everybody and their mother is going to end up with their own separate movies that connect to each other.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It was both inevitable and ballsy

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I loving loved it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I thought 'Rogue One' was a movie length version of "midichlorians": an explanation of something that didn't need explaining and was, in fact, better left unexplained.

Also it's easy to kill off characters that you spend zero effort making anyone care about.

Except K2. He was cool.

The music sucked. The characters were wafer thin. Everyone knew how it would end before they even saw it. The Darth Vader bit was "cool" in the same way a video game would be cool. And now we have four out of eight Star Wars movies about god drat Death Stars.

To keep it on topic, my IIMM for 'Rogue One' is how Cassian goes in about ten minutes from not trusting Jyn with a blaster to being willing to go himself and bring all his friends to die with her on a suicide mission because the plot needs him to, not because the movie earned that in any way. Also Jyn's idiot mother willfully getting herself killed for no reason at all instead of taking care of their kid, because Disney thinks dead parents are a substitute for character development.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ballsy would have been killing Vader and replacing him with Forest Whittaker.