Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

setting up a secure transport between you and an unknown party is literally impossible so faxing provides a workaround.

shagger

was

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Shaggar posted:

setting up a secure transport between you and an unknown party is literally impossible so faxing provides a workaround.

faxing on the other hand is totally secure :nsa:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
today we were encouraged to update our headshots on the join.me "bubbles"

one coworker didnt know how to resize his image and now there is a lovely set of butter yellow teeth filling his bubble

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

oh poo poo and im pretty sure this other guy uploaded a cropped racist minion meme photo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

liveposting from the teleconference

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i've suddenly hit upon the idea of a podcast collecting strange stories of the nightmare dystopia that is "the office".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

i've suddenly hit upon the idea of a podcast collecting strange stories of the nightmare dystopia that is "the office".

you could easily gather material for at least a season without even really trying

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Iridium posted:

please do this so I can send it to all of my non-corporate friends who want to leave their jobs for the easy, stess-free life of a cubicle farm

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
so the director of my group (manager's boss) is in charge of our bullshit Innovation Team. i've participated in this team for several years because it's easy, and yet looks good to everyone else.

that's in spite of the fact that we're basically three people that do nothing but set up a now-annual hackathon. said hackathon doesn't really accomplish anything: it's just a big showcase to make it look like all our divisions are working together, and to be a sort of fun reward for the devs that get involved with it.

we're working on setting up this year's and we're struggling to find a theme. we keep it broad so that the different levels of expertise with the divisions can find ideas for new products and poo poo, while the devs here at the parent company can still come up with employee focused poo poo. but the themes get so loving ethereal that it's like, why bother.

alors.

director has apparently been listening to TED talks to look for ideas for a theme and has now encouraged us to do the same. this is the list of videos that greeted me when i fired the site up to start listening this morning, and at least half of the titles alone make me want to stab myself in the eye.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
my company has fallen hard for the TED kool-aid too and it's just the stupidest waste of time and money

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Podima posted:

my company has fallen hard for the TED kool-aid too and it's just the stupidest waste of time and money

don't
sign
your
Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwLMBdnbXk

a pro watch, also tell your boss to watch this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBKX-6Gz6A

ted talks use to be great because they didnt post every video, only the best ones. now they just post everything and it turns out they were mostly garbage. also tedx is total poo poo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Iridium posted:

so the director of my group (manager's boss) is in charge of our bullshit Innovation Team.

brb changing my signature to read Bullshit Innovation Lead

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
"I just want to make sure everyone has a strong sense of urgency about all of this, because we have to meet these dates."

the dates that have slipped like eight times already because either the business demands changes, or because one of the systems we're dependent on is... well, still running Windows Server 2003, lol.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Iridium posted:

Do it do it do it do it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwLMBdnbXk

a pro watch, also tell your boss to watch this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBKX-6Gz6A

ted talks use to be great because they didnt post every video, only the best ones. now they just post everything and it turns out they were mostly garbage. also tedx is total poo poo
sam hyde did a tedx talk

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Iridium posted:

so the director of my group (manager's boss) is in charge of our bullshit Innovation Team. i've participated in this team for several years because it's easy, and yet looks good to everyone else.

that's in spite of the fact that we're basically three people that do nothing but set up a now-annual hackathon. said hackathon doesn't really accomplish anything: it's just a big showcase to make it look like all our divisions are working together, and to be a sort of fun reward for the devs that get involved with it.

we're working on setting up this year's and we're struggling to find a theme. we keep it broad so that the different levels of expertise with the divisions can find ideas for new products and poo poo, while the devs here at the parent company can still come up with employee focused poo poo. but the themes get so loving ethereal that it's like, why bother.

alors.

director has apparently been listening to TED talks to look for ideas for a theme and has now encouraged us to do the same. this is the list of videos that greeted me when i fired the site up to start listening this morning, and at least half of the titles alone make me want to stab myself in the eye.

rejected-clickbait-titles.txt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

anthonypants posted:

sam hyde did a tedx talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFhR1fKWG0

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Iridium posted:

alors.

holy moly

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

live passionately. come into my web playroom.

ah, the power of vulnerability. why you should talk to strangers

are you a giver, or a taker? it's time to reclaim religion.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that's the one and it should be your go-to whenever someone talks about how great ted talks are. doesn't even matter if it's a tedx talk

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

at the federal government agency I work at we fax everything, no email to external parties for this reason

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iridium posted:

unless you're close to retirement age you should either go all in on some seriously cool personal projects or find a new job because you're gonna stagnate hard

once your useless group either finally gets cut in an acquisition/bad financial year/political battle or your company goes under you'll be hosed being rusty from your cushy gig

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

mishaq posted:

unless you're close to retirement age you should either go all in on some seriously cool personal projects or find a new job because you're gonna stagnate hard

once your useless group either finally gets cut in an acquisition/bad financial year/political battle or your company goes under you'll be hosed being rusty from your cushy gig

i hear you, you're not incorrect, and this is on my mind regularly.

the innovation poo poo fwiw is entirely separate from my group's actual duties. it's a side project thing that we volunteer to handle and it just, mostly, makes us look good to higher ups.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
someone just linked me to this archive of a dude's posts back

<this post was interrupted by a 7:27am call to my cell phone so that my boss can ask me if a DNS entry had been set up yet.>

dude's posts back in 2002 about his own magical corporate adventure and it seemed very appro

<he called back to ask how redirects work>

very appropriate for this thread.

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

shagger

was

:wrong:

nope. theres no way to securely send anything to anyone without first going through some kind of onboarding process. that's why we still use faxes.

vodkat posted:

faxing on the other hand is totally secure :nsa:

of course not but if you were following the conversation you'd understand its allowed for things like PHI under HIPAA.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Iridium posted:

http://hellofromthemagictavern.com/2015/10/12/32-offices-bosses/

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
CRITICAL ALL-DAY MEETING.

folks in the office set up a conference room, most people call in. conf room phone is hosed and scratchy and horrible, real ear cringing poo poo.

takes about ten minutes for manager to stfu so someone can get a word in edgewise and mention this. they pause to go get the facilities people to fix it, then decide to keep going anyway.

"So, Billy, can you see my screen?" "No, I can't, you're using Skype for business and I can't connect because I only have Lync, so..."

so instead, dude in the room basically has to read out all the data on this excel so that billy can interpret it for us. with the ear pain.

this one's gonna be a clusterfuck.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Iridium posted:

ALL-DAY MEETING.

:gonk:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

yeah we're building a p critical app, it needs to handle a huge amount of load, it peters out at about 200. a few managers, mine especially are freaking out over it, so they set up an all day session to get our vendors and our admins together.

i should only have to dial in for a little while to drop some sage advice and then peace out. i'm attached to the project but this is distinctly not my problem, though i do need to have half a clue what these people are up to.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Iridium posted:

handle a huge amount of load

text me

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Iridium posted:

yeah we're building a p critical app, it needs to handle a huge amount of load, it peters out at about 200. a few managers, mine especially are freaking out over it, so they set up an all day session to get our vendors and our admins together.

i should only have to dial in for a little while to drop some sage advice and then peace out. i'm attached to the project but this is distinctly not my problem, though i do need to have half a clue what these people are up to.
haha i hope you're in the first quarter of the timeline, because load is not something you can retrofit onto a shittily coded app without either a complete rewrite or supporting it with unprofitable amounts of hardware

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Bhodi posted:

haha i hope you're in the first quarter of the timeline, because load is not something you can retrofit onto a shittily coded app without either a complete rewrite or supporting it with unprofitable amounts of hardware

lol well GUESS WHAT

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://goatkcd.com/1782

nws u know the score

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we had to call the consultant on a cell phone to tel him the call in number for our conference call with him that is just us and him. idk why we didn't just call him directly.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bloody posted:

we had to call the consultant on a cell phone to tel him the call in number for our conference call with him that is just us and him. idk why we didn't just call him directly.

poo poo this hit me too hard.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pages back but lol

"are you a giver or a taker?"

im the-giver.jpg :getin:

Iridium posted:

scratchy and horrible, real ear cringing poo poo.

mlmp

this was last week but we had a multi-office, cross-team call and the tp worked beautifully, until someone tried to share their screen. somehow the host room couldnt see it but every other location could. while that happened, a group of people chattering on the side kept getting constant focus so I watched a guy with a haircut for a personality eat and gossip with two women for ten minutes while the screen flickered from blank to various powerpoints while the host desperately tried to get the camera to switch to him and kept asking if everyone could see the screen

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

french colleagues moved to a building with no wifi, no phones, and loud active construction- still better than conference calls

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
tech: "So the basic stuff is up and running. Do we want to create like a blank page on the system so we can do a sanity check there?"

product manager, fingers over keyboard: "Oh great, give me the URL I'll test it."

<room ignores her>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/kenlowery/status/818501389554946048

• Locked thread