Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
e: completely skipped the post that already said this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
*skidding in hours later* MARCO'S SHOT DIDN'T COUNT??

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brolander posted:

*skidding in hours later* MARCO'S SHOT DIDN'T COUNT??

He was late. Only had 0.5 second to do that whole thing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

He was late. Only had 0.5 second to do that whole thing.
Sadly, the clock was supposed to start as soon as the ball hit the defender in the butt.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The badass rule says it should count

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I only saw it briefly checking my twitter, that sucks. Hopefully the NBA will at least award him a medal

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

when are the blazers going to fire terry stotts

I don't think he's as good as Blazer fans think he is but also I don't think he's to blame for all this. I think it's more of a front office/ownership problem with the team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im here to post about Boban, and what a good boy he is

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

rabidsquid posted:

im here to post about Boban, and what a good boy he is

BOBAN SON OF BOBAN!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
What the hell, Hawks? But who knows whether or not Korver can handle the immense pressure of shooting wide open 3s all day long.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Making the playoffs in the lower half of the West bracket this year is going to be pointless. The way things are going you're looking at three teams in the conference winning 60+ games, and whatever under-500 team gets the #8 is going to be crushed.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
iono I feel like the Clippers or Rockets are pretty vulnerable, Clippers if the injuries persist and Rockets because what's defense. Could also change around a bit but I feel pretty good about Warriors-Spurs-(Rockets/Clippers in either spot)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I for one would love to be crushed by the warriors in the playoffs

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'd love to see Boogie slap the goddamn mouthguard out of Curry's mouth and explain the freudian implications of his oral fixation before the Warriors complete the sweep

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ex post facho posted:

reminds me of that billups play in the 09 playoffs against the lakers where he inbounded the ball off kobes back and made the layup lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdHC-jbE1-g

Someone did this earlier this year for a dunk, I feel like it was a Sun

Paul Zuvella posted:

we probably are only going to see JR and Korver on the floor when one of Love/Irving rests, and Lebron doesn't, and even then it doesn't make sense against most teams, because JR is too small to guard any real 3s and Korver can't guard anyone.

What this does mean is that instead of Having to play some combination of shumpert/liggins/Felder for like 25 minutes in the playoffs, they can now play Kyle Korver. That's huge .

My man you missed the news, Shumpert cut his hair/got braids and now is shooting 41% from three. Cut your hair, NBA

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 6, 2017

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I for one would love to be crushed by the warriors in the playoffs

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Poll question: Who's the Irv Gotti of the NBA?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would like to see this spurs warriors series that keeps getting promised but never happens the last teo times

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://instagram.com/p/BO5wcBFACu5/

Vote Mike Conley!

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Rick posted:

I don't think he's as good as Blazer fans think he is but also I don't think he's to blame for all this. I think it's more of a front office/ownership problem with the team.

It's definitely a front office problem. Stotts was in discussion for Coach of the Year last season until it was clear the Warriors would get the record.

It would be silly to fire him, so look for the Blazers FO to do just that.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

It's definitely a front office problem. Stotts was in discussion for Coach of the Year last season until it was clear the Warriors would get the record.

It would be silly to fire him, so look for the Blazers FO to do just that.
It's a bit short sighted to pick apart wins and losses at this point in the season but they'd be atleast 4-5 wins better off with a competent late game coach. He's made multiple awful decisions that have come back to haunt the team

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I mean the fundamental question for me is whether or not you believe that a roster of those players should have the worst defense in the entire league. If not, that's a coaching problem.

e: in his 4 years with the team, Stotts has had a top 15 defense exactly once (10th in 2014-15, when they earned 51 wins).

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 6, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I mean the fundamental question for me is whether or not you believe that a roster of those players should have the worst defense in the entire league. If not, that's a coaching problem.

I think if we ask this question 15 months ago when everyone thought the Blazers were going to be one of the five worst teams in the league, and in addition to that you announce they added Evan Turner to the team, then we'd probably think them being the worst defensive team in the league was pretty darn possible.

Does a team radically overachieve for a reason other than coaching? I mean yeah, it's definitely possible since coaching is super subjective but this is the sort of thing that we generally credit to coaches, right?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I agree that the Blazers are down across the board from last year and that includes coaching. At the same time Stotts has proven to be a competent coach over his tenure there. And honestly, all they need to do is be a bottom 10 defense and their record would be way better.

This team didn't turn it around last year until late January either so here's hoping the coaching staff can explain what a NBA defense is supposed to look like before then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/POR/2017/lineups/

1 E. Davis | M. Harkless | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | M. Plumlee 164:27 -3.0

2 A. Aminu | M. Harkless | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | M. Plumlee 147:55 +8.3

I think aminu playing more will help

also

8 M. Harkless | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | M. Plumlee | N. Vonleh 47:48 -46.1

Uh that's not very good, Noah.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rick posted:

I think if we ask this question 15 months ago when everyone thought the Blazers were going to be one of the five worst teams in the league, and in addition to that you announce they added Evan Turner to the team, then we'd probably think them being the worst defensive team in the league was pretty darn possible.

Does a team radically overachieve for a reason other than coaching? I mean yeah, it's definitely possible since coaching is super subjective but this is the sort of thing that we generally credit to coaches, right?
Well the first thing about last season is acknowledging that we were wrong about the talent level. I don't know whether they would have come to the fore on another team (that's a counterfactual), but Harkless, Aminu, McCollum, Crabbe, Mason Plumlee, and Ed Davis all put up career seasons. You can count that as a win for coaching and for management.

The second thing is acknowledging that finishing 3 games over .500 isn't a massive accomplishment because you were the 5th seed. It's not as though they were a 50+ win team. We've been conditioned to thinking that the 5th seed in the West is meaningful and that the 5th in the East is meaningless.

Now, based on those premises, you can only evaluate the product on the court given the players at a coaches disposal. I think Stotts has earned himself a "longer leash", but he and his coaching staff haven't figured out Lillard and McCollum on defense at all and it's becoming apparent that some of those "career years" were aberrant for reasons of health & performance (Ed Davis, Aminu). Beyond that, Stotts has individually blown a handful of games this season with poor decision making. I'm of the school of thought that after a couple years, most teams need another voice in their ear, though.

e: like, I like what Stotts has done a lot more than what Mark Jackson did, but it feels very reminiscent of the Mark Jackson situation to say that because a young team with an incredible shooting backcourt overachieved, the coaching is not the problem.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 6, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What could the Kings trade for Milsap?

Man if they got him it would be the first good Kings move in forever.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

turning any assets into Paul Millsap to get you to the 8th seed in the West then losing him in free agency or signing a 33 year old to a 4-year deal does not seem good.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

It would only be a good move if he inks a contract too. Giving up assets for a rental would be terrible for the kings

Edit: goddamn I was beaten fast on that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was talking about it from the POV of "Win now".

Obv its a bad long term move. Or could be a bad long term move.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 6, 2017

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Unless they give up a truly stupid package, buying 6 months of Millsap is almost certainly a better use of the Kings resources that whatever other dumb poo poo they'd use them for.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Imagine when you need a last second shot from a timeout, and you can put a lineup of LeBron, Love, Irving, JR Smith, and Korver out there.

Yeah go ahead and defend that.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

*lebron takes 30 foot pull up 3*

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
*it goes in anyway*

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

For whatever reason the Korver trade has ATL getting the 2019 pick, so Cleveland needed to get their 2018 back to do that trade.

Well the first thing about last season is acknowledging that we were wrong about the talent level. I don't know whether they would have come to the fore on another team (that's a counterfactual), but Harkless, Aminu, McCollum, Crabbe, Mason Plumlee, and Ed Davis all put up career seasons. You can count that as a win for coaching and for management.

The second thing is acknowledging that finishing 3 games over .500 isn't a massive accomplishment because you were the 5th seed. It's not as though they were a 50+ win team. We've been conditioned to thinking that the 5th seed in the West is meaningful and that the 5th in the East is meaningless.

Now, based on those premises, you can only evaluate the product on the court given the players at a coaches disposal. I think Stotts has earned himself a "longer leash", but he and his coaching staff haven't figured out Lillard and McCollum on defense at all and it's becoming apparent that some of those "career years" were aberrant for reasons of health & performance (Ed Davis, Aminu). Beyond that, Stotts has individually blown a handful of games this season with poor decision making. I'm of the school of thought that after a couple years, most teams need another voice in their ear, though.

e: like, I like what Stotts has done a lot more than what Mark Jackson did, but it feels very reminiscent of the Mark Jackson situation to say that because a young team with an incredible shooting backcourt overachieved, the coaching is not the problem.

I might be the last person but I still think Jackson was/is a slightly above average coach who could've got better but w/e.

That said I'm not sure there's much to solve with Lillard and McCollum on defense, outside of getting some elite rim protector. And they're both clearly the best players on the team so it's hard to just not play them. I do agree that a lot of the performance from last year wasn't sustainable at all and giving too much credit to Stotts for that is probably bad.

The big thing with dropping Stotts though is finding someone better. Changing just for the sake of change seems quite risky to me, unless you're sure you got someone who will improve you.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I kind of agree that there is probably a team out there that Mark Jackson could theoretically coach, but it isn't a team with steph curry and Klay Thompson.

Also he was loving batshit crazy and literally put the players against the ownership which exactly 0 teams would tolerate.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

I agree that Stotts should really be able to figure out the defense, but it's hard to know how much is him and how much is the players. The starting guards are small but CJ's has a 6'6" wingspan and Lillard a 6'8" wingspan, so they should be able to be average defenders for their position.

I don't really think the 4th quarter issues are down to Stotts' decision making. I think the issue is with the players not executing and not playing good defense.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'll never be able to get over the story of Jackson trying to lead a coup against loving John Stockton

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Crazy Ted posted:

That's pretty much par for the course in the NBA now though.

Hell, Monty Williams was fired after improving the team's wins every year and making the playoffs with a team that wish it had this season's health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Proposal: In any situation where the ball is being inbounded, the game and shot clocks should always round up to 1 second if it is ever less.

• Locked thread