Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
The craziest thing I've heard about the mid is that zmp takes their breaks out in their cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

We roll with 3. First guy takes over some time after 10 until 1 am, then 1-3am, 3-5am. We just page somebody if we need them (we never do)

What facility?

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Zau

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Im suprised about the no phones thing. Here at zsu everyone is constantly on their phones during the mid.

We roll with 3 controllers, but due to the "uniqueness" of the operation we always need at least 1 r side and one d side on position.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holiday Report: Techops says our Christmas lights cannot be plugged in, because they are a fire hazard.

The piece of printer paper doubled up and folded around the bulb of the sup's desk lamp is fine, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Holiday Report: Techops says our Christmas lights cannot be plugged in, because they are a fire hazard.

The piece of printer paper doubled up and folded around the bulb of the sup's desk lamp is fine, though.

We have christmas lights strung up all around the area. I don't think we're supposed to use an extension cord, but we still did. We did the same thing last year.

Tommy, you guys are getting a hardship from us. If he goes to your area make him feel bad for leaving :cool:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

We have christmas lights strung up all around the area. I don't think we're supposed to use an extension cord, but we still did. We did the same thing last year.

Tommy, you guys are getting a hardship from us. If he goes to your area make him feel bad for leaving :cool:

What is his reasoning for a hardship? PM me his name.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Just finished my first week at ZSE. I still see the full center maps when I close my eyes, they are burned in from staring at them for a week. Time to get working on my area maps and LoAs. Apparently I got put in the toughest area in the building, lots of low altitude stuff with all the satellite airports in Oregon and sequencing/absorbing delays for SeaTac in the high sectors. Excited about the challenge though, it looks like a lot of fun.

PS Center controllers type way too much, I have no idea what's going on when I monitor.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zochness posted:

Just finished my first week at ZSE. I still see the full center maps when I close my eyes, they are burned in from staring at them for a week. Time to get working on my area maps and LoAs. Apparently I got put in the toughest area in the building, lots of low altitude stuff with all the satellite airports in Oregon and sequencing/absorbing delays for SeaTac in the high sectors. Excited about the challenge though, it looks like a lot of fun.

PS Center controllers type way too much, I have no idea what's going on when I monitor.

ZSE is numero uno on my shortlist of potential get-the-gently caress-out-of-ZMA facilities. Are you a local, or from somewhere else?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could always come to lovely Kansas City!

Zochness posted:

Just finished my first week at ZSE. I still see the full center maps when I close my eyes, they are burned in from staring at them for a week.

We have a transfer from some up/down that had to be talked out of filing a grievance because "the maps contained too much information to learn". That's not a loving joke.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

ZSE is numero uno on my shortlist of potential get-the-gently caress-out-of-ZMA facilities. Are you a local, or from somewhere else?

It really does seem like a great facility, everybody tells us we won the lottery as far as facilities go. I'm from Texas, but I've wanted to get out to the west for a while. Put in ERRs all over the place, and finally got picked up here, mostly because of my involvement in NATCA. This was before the new ERR changes of course.

fknlo posted:

We have a transfer from some up/down that had to be talked out of filing a grievance because "the maps contained too much information to learn". That's not a loving joke.

Hahahaha, it definitely is so much more than I had to learn in Amarillo, but there is a lot of time to get it all down. There are 4 of us CPC-ITs that are getting "rushed" through to be on the floor by April, I know its gonna be some work but I'll get it figured out.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I interned at ZSE FDC, and the lovely part was that it's in Auburn.
Never turn down donut star if someone is going on a run, though. Best doughnuts. Period.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Oh hey seattle based jet pilot I talk to you ZSE fuckers all the time.
Granted it's usually to assign me .72 and fly heading 270 for metering into KSEA on a goddamn sunny day because "north flow" but, you know, still always pleasant

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hey did anyone notice they made an *Air Traffic Controller* figure from the new Star Wars movie?! He's holding the flashlights upside down though.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I went to ZSE once, the rep told me the average day was a 4,500 count. I kinda laughed, a little too loud.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Zochness posted:

Apparently I got put in the toughest area in the building, lots of low altitude stuff with all the satellite airports in Oregon and sequencing/absorbing delays for SeaTac in the high sectors.

As a very occasional pilot out of KHIO and 7S3, thank you for your service! :glomp:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TangoFox posted:

I went to ZSE once, the rep told me the average day was a 4,500 count. I kinda laughed, a little too loud.

I've worked in towers that did half this a day pretty consistently.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Level 11 facility:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Level 11 facility:

They will blame FD.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I think I may have made it through the A-TSA(?)
USA jobs says my status is referred, but the FAA site lists two possible referral lists: 100082 and 100085. The former "may or may not be contacted for an interview" , while for the latter "your application was not included at this time." Not sure if my status being referred means I'm part of that first list or not. Either way, I guess I'm one step closer.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm not up to speed on the current hiring lingo, but "referred" used to mean pretty good things.

A buddy of mine posted this image recently on his application, maybe yours says something similar?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's it, yeah.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When I went through, referred meant "we're gonna give you the psych evaluation and piss test you, and if you pass, you're hired."

I have no idea what it means now.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Cool beans. Sounds like you're moving forward in the process.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's what it appears. Super stoked. A week before my birthday, too!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

its all nice on rice posted:

That's what it appears. Super stoked. A week before my birthday, too!

congrats i hope!

ZSE has been a loving mess the past few days. On 3 diff flights, I've had 15-20 min of metering, a hold over BTG, and tons of vectoring ... to go land at a completely severe clear seattle airport.
That place has.. issues.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The ladyfriend and I are freaking out a bit that I've made it this far, but there's still a chance I don't make it. My only worry is my age (30 in a week). My mom seems to think that applying and making it to the A-TSA means I'm automatically in and she should call every relative in her phonebook.
Stuckmic (as -eh- as it is) is saying 2-4 weeks before any update beyond "Referred".

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

The Slaughter posted:

ZSE has been a loving mess the past few days. On 3 diff flights, I've had 15-20 min of metering, a hold over BTG, and tons of vectoring ... to go land at a completely severe clear seattle airport.
That place has.. issues.

I haven't been down to the floor this week because we were learning how to fly fake airplanes in the simulators for other trainees, but I've heard about some of the issues. I guess we take on most of the delays when other sectors/centers could be helping out more or something? Apparently this is different than the way a lot of other places run it. I hear Seattle approach can be kind of hard to work with as well. I'm still new to all this center/big hub airport stuff, sorry I can't shed more light on the subject. I'll be seeing it all firsthand soon enough.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Zochness posted:

I haven't been down to the floor this week because we were learning how to fly fake airplanes in the simulators for other trainees, but I've heard about some of the issues. I guess we take on most of the delays when other sectors/centers could be helping out more or something? Apparently this is different than the way a lot of other places run it. I hear Seattle approach can be kind of hard to work with as well. I'm still new to all this center/big hub airport stuff, sorry I can't shed more light on the subject. I'll be seeing it all firsthand soon enough.

Yeah usually you get metered from the south with whatever center controls BTG, they've told me a BTG time locks in once you pass about LKV VOR... So we fly fast til then and yeah usually are flying at .78 til 150nm before BTG when we could slow to .72 3 centers earlier if we knew what was up, so yeah I can see that...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

The ladyfriend and I are freaking out a bit that I've made it this far, but there's still a chance I don't make it. My only worry is my age (30 in a week). My mom seems to think that applying and making it to the A-TSA means I'm automatically in and she should call every relative in her phonebook.
Stuckmic (as -eh- as it is) is saying 2-4 weeks before any update beyond "Referred".

It was exciting every time I got to the next step, but since I applied so many times, we knew that it was still a long shot and a long wait. I got in during last year's bid and I went right from taking the ATSAT to getting the tentative offer letter (which still took 2 months, none of this referral stuff) and then doing all the paperwork after getting the TOL. ATSAT to the academy was just over 4 months and I was in the first few classes from the bid, I know people from my bid that just got to the academy last month. Good luck to you in the painful and infuriating process.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah usually you get metered from the south with whatever center controls BTG, they've told me a BTG time locks in once you pass about LKV VOR... So we fly fast til then and yeah usually are flying at .78 til 150nm before BTG when we could slow to .72 3 centers earlier if we knew what was up, so yeah I can see that...

That's my area, so looking forward to dealing with that, haha. I think the big problem is SeaTac's size and layout. In a best case scenario PDX can accept an arrival a minute vs. SeaTac can only do an arrival about every minute and a half. You're gonna get big departure delays running arrivals to the L/R runways and departures off the center.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zochness posted:

I guess we take on most of the delays when other sectors/centers could be helping out more or something? Apparently this is different than the way a lot of other places run it.

You'll soon realize that the ATCSCC exists solely to cater to the demands of ZDC and ZNY, and is borderline incompetent at dealing with flow control issues literally anywhere else in the country.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

two_beer_bishes posted:

It was exciting every time I got to the next step, but since I applied so many times, we knew that it was still a long shot and a long wait. I got in during last year's bid and I went right from taking the ATSAT to getting the tentative offer letter (which still took 2 months, none of this referral stuff) and then doing all the paperwork after getting the TOL. ATSAT to the academy was just over 4 months and I was in the first few classes from the bid, I know people from my bid that just got to the academy last month. Good luck to you in the painful and infuriating process.

They're keeping everything so in the dark that I'm wondering what the next step will be. As was mentioned before, "referred" used to be piss/psych then TOL, but with things changing all the time, who even knows?
I'm just hoping I get an email in two months saying "go pee in a cup."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

You'll soon realize that the ATCSCC exists solely to cater to the demands of ZDC and ZNY, and is borderline incompetent at dealing with flow control issues literally anywhere else in the country.

"Support Facilities"

:fuckoff:

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

MrYenko posted:

This so much, gently caress ZNY and their holiday reroutes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

1/2/17. :911:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Holy balls. You guys are a 12 right? I mean, I know ZJX is an 11 and is perma hosed mode due to the poo poo lords in the union, but yea.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Busiest level 11 in the world.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Busiest level 11 in the world.

Busier than most 12s too!

*Man I got to ask. This Cuba thing jacked up operations that much? I'm looking at your air carrier operations. BTW, the way the FAA does traffic count is complete horse poo poo. It will count a single new student pilot in a C-152 as one operation (and you guys know how much work these poor cats can be) and a air carrier as...something like 4x that? I forget. And those guys are easy peasy comparatively.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Busier than most 12s too!

*Man I got to ask. This Cuba thing jacked up operations that much? I'm looking at your air carrier operations. BTW, the way the FAA does traffic count is complete horse poo poo. It will count a single new student pilot in a C-152 as one operation (and you guys know how much work these poor cats can be) and a air carrier as...something like 4x that? I forget. And those guys are easy peasy comparatively.

You do know that as we now have CPDLC we will permanag via text for a better level right? The abbreviations we now come up with makes TXT SPK seem old :P

On an aside thank the stars for the above, UK - Canaries oceanic is now bearable as a result.