Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This movie was dope, so I'm gonna move all my Star Wars gen chat comments here:

K. Waste posted:

That opening photography really was something else - and it was so suitably weird. I love the choice of how to block the rings of the gas giant at first just so there could be this 'platform' or 'level' effect against this oblong, origami-like ship coasting through nothing. Maybe it was just anecdotes, but a lot of cats made it seem like they were more into the film by the second or third act, but I thought the first act was really spellbinding. My favorite part is that Whitaker is basically playing a Rebel-version of Darth Vader.

Realizing young Carrie Fisher as a CGI blob monster who actually comes off as more frightening than CGI blob monster Peter Cushing is another highlight - it's extremely disruptive to immersion, but it's also compelling in that way. It's a 'brute address' that reminds you of how film artifice has moved completely beyond simulation of the foreign and exotic and back again towards just basic familiarity. The point is not Princess Leia never appears in the film as anything other than a hologram. It's scandalizing because it's simultaneously weighted with connotations of raising (or disgracing) the dead and cloning, of celebrity and wax museum - but it's also completely appropriate as a way to cut the Star Wars cult down to size. Leia is no different than the Cthulhu shlub who shares Jyn's cell.

This movie owned bones, Edwards learned all the right lessons from Lucas's aesthetic and expanded upon them through his own particularist lens, and we now have to deal with this rather subtly confrontational piece of pop art that is explicitly about how none of the pageantry of A New Hope 'matters.' This story of a radical sectarian group carrying out a suicide mission is despoiled immediately by the knowledge that some ghost hologram lady in white is going to carry it on to a conclusion which is modeled after Triumph of the Will.

It's not so much about them being disgusting, or anything, it's about those occasional, uncanny twitches that you inevitably catch because you're so compelled to look at the masking technology, it's like seeing the imperfections in stop-motion - but, again, returned merely to the task of replicating familiarity. Like, Cushing's texture. What his pores were like, how his body moved suddenly and subtly like we all do. It's like the Paul Walker and Tupac thing, but framed much more intimately. There's an understated, 'wormy' energy that emanates from the sycophantic death cult of the Empire, and CGI Peter Cushing only magnifies it.

The Uncanny Valley is just a small part of what I'm getting at. Surely enough people got that Peter Cushing and especially Carrie Fisher are neither alive nor young. These aren't just 'posthumous' roles, they're a complex masking of rejuvenated celebrities that are fascinating to think about just in technical terms alone. Inevitably these fascinations connect with the political terms of the film as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExTt4j69zI

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 6, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I find the act of resurrecting the dead via CGI to be a bit ghoulish, and I'm obviously not the only one who thinks so, but I'd rather see it for Star Wars than for selling chocolate like what they did with Audrey Hepburn.

Still, it'd probably work better if they used soundalike voice actors rather than keep chopping up 30 some odd year old lines of dialogue to extremely middling effect.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I find the act of resurrecting the dead via CGI to be a bit ghoulish, and I'm obviously not the only one who thinks so, but I'd rather see it for Star Wars than for selling chocolate like what they did with Audrey Hepburn.

Still, it'd probably work better if they used soundalike voice actors rather than keep chopping up 30 some odd year old lines of dialogue to extremely middling effect.

I'm not sure how they did the voices for Cushing and Fisher, but yeah, you could see that in some of the reused and abandoned footage they had of Red Leader and his wingmen.

Then again, this debuted last year at Adobe MAX, which promises to be "Photoshop for Voiceovers", so there's a chance that it could have been used on Rogue One. I suggest watching all of it, but the pertinent groundbreaking stuff happens at 3:20, where the engineer adds audio that isn't part of the audio track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3l4XLZ59iw

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 6, 2017

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

what
the
gently caress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kly posted:

what
the
gently caress

hes the dollar store version of smg's gimmick

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

The Destructive ambition for power will bring your own downfall.

I loved this post, I think I agree with everything here.

K. Waste posted:

This movie was dope, so I'm gonna move all my Star Wars gen chat comments here:

I think you're picking up more than they put down. Reading too much into things.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

bring back old gbs posted:

hes the dollar store version of smg's gimmick

the joke is that still makes him a better poster than either of us

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
This is the place to speculate on VIII right? Like, we do that sometimes and it doesn't end up all weird or anything?

Because I thought Kylo Ren was the best character in TFA, and I think it will be very interesting to see where they go with his relationship with Rey in particular. He's very clearly Anakin Skywalker roughly halfway between accepting the name Darth Vader and the end of RotS, but also painfully aware of this fact because Vader is a legend. There's also another important difference between Ren and Vader, though.

It's notable that the story isn't about Rey's struggle with the Dark Side, but Ren's struggle with the "call to the Light." One of the most important moments defining him as a character is when Snoke describes his power: "It is where you are from. What you are made of. The dark side—and the light." This is a redefinition of the Force; perhaps due to Snoke's mysterious, non-Sith understanding of it, but also simply a rational reaction to the fact that the last Jedi walked into a room with perhaps the two most powerful Sith Lords to ever exist and dragged out one dying, redeemed Jedi. Up until that moment, there is significant reason to suspect that the Dark Side may simply be stronger than the Light.

Now, however, it is Ren who pledges to "not be seduced" by the Light when facing his father. Rey, untrained and arguably perhaps drawing on the Dark Side to some degree, not only defeats him but seems more puzzled than distressed by the notion of turning to the Dark Side for power. Ren clearly believes in the power of the Dark Side, but now it is that faith which is being tested and not of the Light.

He also has one other reason to doubt, I think. We don't know why Luke left, but since we're guessing, I'm going to go with "he didn't want to kill his loving nephew." Not only is Ren afraid of not living up to the power of his grandfather, but he's painfully aware that he has not faced his uncle and former Master who turned Vader himself back to the Light.

It's going to be interesting to see, though, if Rey uncritically accepts Luke's teachings. Or, alternatively, if Luke's interpretation of the Jedi religion differs from that of previous Jedi. One way or another there is also the fact to account for that it was Vader who destroyed the Emperor and proved that no one is beyond redemption by the Light due specifically to his particular, non-universal love for his son allowing him to see the possibility of goodness inside himself. One way to put what occurred is that Vader realized that his passionately ethical nature was the source of his power rather than the Dark Side.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 6, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

DrNutt posted:

Was this in reference to Tarkin? All his dialogue was by Guy Henry, who also did mocap on set for the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMB2sLwz0Do

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I think you're picking up more than they put down. Reading too much into things.

Your apprehension about whether or not the filmmakers are aware of all possible connotations of their creative choices is preventing you from appreciating the basic surface details of the text.

Like, how can you grasp 'death of the author' if you can't even grasp the death of Tupac?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Go ahead and tell me about your relationship with your mother.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Was this in reference to Tarkin? All his dialogue was by Guy Henry, who also did mocap on set for the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMB2sLwz0Do

I have no proof of this, but I think they actually re-used one Cushing line. "You may fire when ready." It threw me off in the theater, because the guy doing the rest of the dialogue is doing an alright Cushing impression, but it's not perfect, and then suddenly Cushing's voice came out of nowhere.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The point is that replication of Peter Cushing has become essential in the way that replication of, say, the replication of Gollum or King Kong is essential. People inevitably have to ask, "Couldn't they have just cast a new actor?" And the answer is, "Yes, but the opposite signifies something very deliberate." Carry this technique over to Carrie Fisher, whose untimely passing just happens to excite the nerves of popular culture. The answer isn't to just explain away this wholly unnatural sensation - it's something akin to Shrek, where the twist at the end is that the princess is a troll. Err, I mean, ogre.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We may never see CGI Tarkin again. I mean, there just aren't any more stories to tell about him.

We're going to see more Leia, though. Not just in VIII and IX, but at some point they're going to start making "A Star Wars Stories" about the time in between Episodes VI and VII. Even if Carrie Fisher were alive she wouldn't be playing young(er) Leia, so they're going to have to choose between recasting the role, or CGI Leia forever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Danger posted:

Go ahead and tell me about your relationship with your mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_an_YupJAI

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can't decide which SW is worse, Rogue 1 or Episode 2. I'm leaning towards R1 since Ep2 at least had Christopher Lee in it.

Bad dialogue, worse acting, and a total waste of Madsen. I can't recall another movie with as many failed quips. The final space fight at least reminded me of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I liked R1 more the second time. If I had to venture a guess as to why, it's because the characters are so weak and empty (they are just vessels for the rebellion/empire, I get that, but, come on. Pilot wears goggles because he's the pilot? It was just weak characterization all around) that seeing it twice allows you to watch it the second time and knowing everything about the characters already which I think made them feel more "full" to me.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
3/10 on the quip scale but at least it reminded me of a video game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Danger posted:

3/10 on the quip scale but at least it reminded me of a video game.

Complete with random unnecessary robotic arm manipulation and timed jumps through a rapidly opening and closing door for no reason! :iamafag:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Complete with random unnecessary robotic arm manipulation and timed jumps through a rapidly opening and closing door for no reason! :iamafag:

It was a visual match with Luke falling through the bottom of Bespin after he achieved a form of "enlightenment". Plot wise it had no reason, but it fits the story well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fuzz posted:

This was pedestrian and fine in a post Star Trek 09 Brewery Scene world.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Fuzz posted:

You simply can't appreciate a fine game of claw grab at your local bowling alley making an appearance in a major franchise film

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Why do people keep saying the characters are 'empty'?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

K. Waste posted:

Why do people keep saying the characters are 'empty'?

Have you seen the Red Letter Media review of Phantom Menace?

Tell me about Cassian's character without any physical description. What makes him tick?

How about Jyn?

I enjoyed the movie, but the characters were definitely lacking.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Tell me about Cassian's character without any physical description. What makes him tick?

How about Jyn?

Cassian's motivation is finding redemption for his work as a Rebel Saboteur that caused him to put his morals behind his need for the rebellion to grow.

Jyn is on a similar redemption arc for her father, and is trying to prove to both of her father figures that she is a strong and capable person.

Cassian literally states his motivations at one point in the movie out right.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
People watch a spy kill his own informant and an hour later talk about the terrible poo poo he's done in the name of "the cause," but no, there's no characterization in this movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was getting popcorn when he did that, sorry.

He's Empty.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

How about Jyn?

Cassian is a brutal sectarian extremist who doesn't hesitate to perform 'mercy killings' if he realizes that it's more efficient to save himself than to die protecting the weak. Jyn was traumatized from an early age and spent most of her life following along with this same brutal, sectarian mentality, living a life devoid of what she learned early in development was "natural, healthy, traditional" family structure, and with a guarantee of never being able to live 'at peace' again. Because she was severed from so many types of political 'families' throughout her life, she never developed a persistent idea of herself, or a vision of how the universe could ever be 'at peace.'

In each other, Cassian and Jyn find an equal who helps each other to 'embrace the dark side' - Jyn of giving up the nostalgic fantasy of peace and realizing that she can find a separate peace in her own certainty in revolutionary struggle; and Cassian of giving up utilitarian rationalism in order to articulate a vision of humanity which is truly revolutionary, the particular within the universal struggle, of which the Rebellion is only a conditional component.

The problem with this exercise you're deploying is that it's typical pop psychology divorced from any actual critical theory. RLM.txt strips away literally all context in terms of the films' symbolic orders and, thus, how we can extrapolate valuable character information, in order to pantomime a fantasy that there is some objective 'depth' lying behind it all which is more empirical and valuable. But there's nothing of the sort. Character is not a preternatural 'depth' which can only be expressed through 'effort' or 'care' or whatever - in order to understand character you need to weigh context and form and how this informs upon character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just realized the Saw's slug monster scene perfectly mirrors Vader's interrogation with Leia. Another cool detail to hammer that point home.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Die Sexmonster! posted:

How about Jyn?

Cassian feels as though he lost a lot of humanity in his underhanded contributions to his cause, but finds a renewed sense of purpose and willingness to sacrifice after embarking on a mission with Jyn.

Jyn is a person who is largely adrift upon first present meeting, having her mother murdered, father captured and mentor abandoning her. However, recent information she learns about her father also gives her a renewed sense of purpose in life and seeks to fulfill that purpose regardless of personal cost.

Hodgepodge posted:

It's going to be interesting to see, though, if Rey uncritically accepts Luke's teachings. Or, alternatively, if Luke's interpretation of the Jedi religion differs from that of previous Jedi. One way or another there is also the fact to account for that it was Vader who destroyed the Emperor and proved that no one is beyond redemption by the Light due specifically to his particular, non-universal love for his son allowing him to see the possibility of goodness inside himself. One way to put what occurred is that Vader realized that his passionately ethical nature was the source of his power rather than the Dark Side.

I get the feeling Luke's attempts to restore the Jedi Order failed because his only points of reference are the ghosts of Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin. That's why its reported that his last known whereabouts were searching for the first Jedi temple.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

CelticPredator posted:

I just realized the Saw's slug monster scene perfectly mirrors Vader's interrogation with Leia. Another cool detail to hammer that point home.

Exactly. There's also the dual parallel to Jabba with Saw keeping this beast on a desert planet.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Remember when saw said it would destroy his mind but all it took was someone saying hey are you the pilot

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

Exactly. There's also the dual parallel to Jabba with Saw keeping this beast on a desert planet.

The Jabba comparison isn't the first thing that comes to mind, but now it's bleedingly obvious. Jabba's Palace was a repurpused temple as well, the aesthetics of both the bases are similar, and of course it's populated by some of the roughest looking fighters and aliens, equating Saw's group directly with the "scum and villainy" of the universe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

rear end Catchcum posted:

Remember when saw said it would destroy his mind but all it took was someone saying hey are you the pilot

He wasn't really 'right' for the rest of the film.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Really? He seemed normal to me. He seemed quiet and peaceful to be around people who weren't dragging him through a dessert tied up threatening him with torture. That may have been the difference you noticed. Since we never meet him pre-capture, maybe he's just more chill when not being held against his will?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mecha Gojira posted:

The Jabba comparison isn't the first thing that comes to mind, but now it's bleedingly obvious. Jabba's Palace was a repurpused temple as well, the aesthetics of both the bases are similar, and of course it's populated by some of the roughest looking fighters and aliens, equating Saw's group directly with the "scum and villainy" of the universe.

It was also a rancor nod with the whole caged beast vibe and the style of the grating.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Again, context is key: Saw specifically says that while the squid monster will make Bodhi tell the truth, the process itself will drive him "mad." More importantly - and contributing to the film's dark sense of humor - Saw is pontificating to himself out loud about how this is an "unfortunate side-effect" of necessary torture. He's not saying Bodhi will become a vegetable - he's saying that Bodhi will by puddy to whatever ideology the people around him is. He'll be 're-programmed' like a droid, and, indeed, there's no difference. Notice that Bodhi pleads with the rebels that they're all on the 'same side,' but Saw treats these declarations as irrelevant to the utilitarian logic which has become the Rebel Alliance's struggle. They are continuously 're-programming' people, but not liberating them from terror or empire.

The double meaning of this joke, and its nuanced reflection upon Bodhi specifically, doesn't pay off until it's revealed that Bodhi had already become a 'true believer' through the natural permutation of subversive and counter-ideology throughout the system - particularly among Galen's class of technological utopians, who are really not very different from the managerial and royal castes leading the Rebellion and determining its compromised outcomes. By the end of his arc as a character, you're forced to ask both whether Bodhi's revolutionary behavior throughout the film is a predetermined outcome, the man he was always going to be, or if it only occurred through violent trauma.

Really? He seemed normal to me. He seemed quiet and peaceful to be around people who weren't dragging him through a dessert tied up threatening him with torture. That may have been the difference you noticed. Since we never meet him pre-capture, maybe he's just more chill when not being held against his will?

Before Bodhi was 're-programmed' by Saw and his men, he was a character who lived his life within a political order governed by a sycophantic military death cult. Bodhi is very much an extension of Galen - a figure who is projected uncertainly out from his already traumatic origins to try to realize some new, revolutionary form of living. Bodhi going 'mad' is just literalized representation of the profound psychological shift that occurs when one flees adversity seeking acceptance, but only finds more utilitarian, calculated tyranny within 'counter-culture.'

Again, nobody ever said Bodhi was a vegetable. They implied that he would inevitably succumb to an space opera version of Stockholm Syndrome. He's the Patty Hearst to Saw's Donald DeFreeze.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The effects weren't permanent. Bodhi might have sat there not remembering who he was right until Saws hideout gets wiped out if not for Chirrut sensing him in the next cell and without Baze recognising him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
edit: NM

• Locked thread