Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

mabels big day posted:

it just seems like its the joke for bon clay to sacrifice himself every time, and he's badass for it

its lame in fact. but that is one of odas tendencies where he likes the emotional payoff but with the ability to rewind the stakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
just wanted to remidn everyone that one piece is cool and great

i went through the punk hazard arc again. thats a great arc. one of the finest. except for the yeti cool bros. they're no cool.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

anime was right posted:

just wanted to remidn everyone that one piece is cool and great

i went through the punk hazard arc again. thats a great arc. one of the finest. except for the yeti cool bros. they're no cool.

They're pretty cold.

They should put some clothes on.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

its lame in fact. but that is one of odas tendencies where he likes the emotional payoff but with the ability to rewind the stakes

nobody dies in one piece

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

nobody dies in one piece

those guards in alabasta that drank some super water to beat up crocodile (only for him to sit on a wall where they couldn't reach until the water killed them) are very dead

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

nobody dies in one piece

Then I fear for Buggy, who's never in one piece.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

those guards in alabasta that drank some super water to beat up crocodile (only for him to sit on a wall where they couldn't reach until the water killed them) are very dead

i'm confident they made a full recovery.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

mabels big day posted:

nobody dies in one piece

thats fine but then he should stop the whole "so and so died..no really, they're dead...lol psyche!" stuff cuz its cheap

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the climactic battle with pudding and big mom, Luffy will unleash his secret weapon on pudding: yo mama jokes. Yo big mom so fat.....

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Luffy thought Bon Clay was alive. Buggy said they should have an escape party/funeral for him, and Luffy punched him in the face because they didn't know for sure he was dead.

So all of you saying Bon Clay should be dead, I hope Luffy punches you in your big red noses. :colbert:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

tbp posted:

thats fine but then he should stop the whole "so and so died..no really, they're dead...lol psyche!" stuff cuz its cheap
It largely doesn't matter since those characters rarely show up anyway.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

film gold opinion: its good

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

any of you americans gonna go peep Film Gold in theaters Jan 10th?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

key party favors posted:

As someone who worked in a movie theater when one of the newer DBZ movies was in theaters, don't do it, the smell isn't worth it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

the closest showing is like 50 minutes away rip

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I just received my "FROG? NO. HIPPO." shirt in the mail so I can see Film Gold in style.

This is the music that will play as my group walks in.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I watched Film Gold today. Great movie.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've only seen Strong World, does it compare?

Oh also the one by the Summer Wars guy that was hosed up and stuff

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I liked better than strong world. The subvillains are cooler and had better fights. Also the heist part was cool as hell. I hope they svan the manga explaining Tesoro's backstory since the movie barely covers it though.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

As someone who worked in a movie theater when one of the newer DBZ movies was in theaters, don't do it, the smell isn't worth it.

I went and like most of the people who went were just hipsters, parents with kids, and nostalgic nerds in their thirties. I think this is one of those things were your state of mind determines things man

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Plutonis posted:

I liked better than strong world. The subvillains are cooler and had better fights. Also the heist part was cool as hell. I hope they svan the manga explaining Tesoro's backstory since the movie barely covers it though.

I liked it more than Strong World but less than Z. I probably would have liked it more except for the Luck-Luck fruit and the identities of CP0. The sudden onslaught of back story for Goldfinger was a bit much and way too late also.

It was nice to have all the cameos, but unfortunately too many of the cameos were shoehorned into the plot in a way that made it silly that they didn't do anything. Oh, sure the Revolutionary Army is there, but they're not going to do anything except this new character we just made up and you'll never see again after this. Sabo is totally there though, but his and Lucci's cameos cancel each other out so you just get a few seconds of them basically saying "Hi, remember me?" and then disappearing without actually affecting anything.

Nami's bikini was actually very Oda design, though the double entendre nature was a bit much. Maybe it's a little too American slang for Japanese people to get without at little effort.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
where/how are you watching it? also film Z i guess i've not seen that

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's a pretty good film, it helps a lot that the story is tighter and more focused than many previous OP films. What I dislike is the weak characterization, aside from Tesoro himself, nothing is revealead about the antagonists, they really could be more fleshed out(and Tesoro himself only got like a one minute backstory flash, laaazy). Also the last fight goes on for too long for my taste. Some more random thoughts:

- Cameos. Aside from the obvious ones mentioned before, in the background you can spot several minor characters from the past, I saw at least three Heracles, Absalom and the noodle chef guy from the sea train in Enies Lobby. Sure, most of them felt shoehorned like Sabo or Lucci and did absolutely nothing, but it's cool to hear from them.

- Turtle cars, so One Piece, so cute and fun.

- Golden Cloths who give power boosts, seriously? Saint Seiya reference probably? Also the battle bikini cloth for Baccarat was dumb and annoyed the hell out of me.

- The first half of the movie is pretty cool. It gave me some Lupin the 3rd vibes, the other half is standard One Piece movie. However, the beam battle a la DBZ at the end was really necessary? Felt cheap and forced.

- Awakened fruits are getting ridiculous, but it's amusing to think how Eneru would have clowned Tesoro in a second. The luck fruit really deserves a special mention for how dumb it is and how super broken it would be in the hands of a strong person.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 7, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
so like foxy's fruit then

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

is this canon

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

It can't be canon because it takes place after Dressrosa but the crew is still together.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

so like foxy's fruit then

No, Foxy's fruit controls some pretend slow down beam thingy. The luck fruit steals you luck for an indeterminate amount of time but apparently everyone is just lucky as all poo poo unless the owner of the Luck-Luck fruit touches them. Then they've passed comically unlucky and are quickly putting horrendously cursed by the gods in the rear view. Things don't just happen unluckily, banana peals appear from nowhere and suddenly you have crippling medical issues out of the blue. Physical reality is rewritten on the fly in order to make you "unlucky".

Edit: Also, yes, the turtle powered cars are amazing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Film Gold was the poo poo, my only real beef with the film is that the pacing sags hard between Zoro's capture and the final fight (which itself is overly long too)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, other than the Strawhats and the pirates they fight at the beginning of Gold, is anyone in the city during the movie not an indentured servant? Even by World Government standards the place is unreasonable and no one should have any desire to go there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i just watched film z and at least it answered the questions i had about aokiji mostly

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

what canon info do we get from all of these films because i haven't seen any of them and i won't see any of them (anime bad).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
none and its silly to care about that

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Darth Walrus posted:

The third time was in the Miss Goldenweek cover story, where he takes on Hina to save most of his junior officers in Baroque Works, and gets dumped in Impel Down for his pains.

This is the best part for me:

Trying to hide that 3 so badly. :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lpzie posted:

what canon info do we get from all of these films because i haven't seen any of them and i won't see any of them (anime bad).
Watch the bit from strong world where they introduce the villain with a dance number

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gyges posted:

No, Foxy's fruit controls some pretend slow down beam thingy. The luck fruit steals you luck for an indeterminate amount of time but apparently everyone is just lucky as all poo poo unless the owner of the Luck-Luck fruit touches them. Then they've passed comically unlucky and are quickly putting horrendously cursed by the gods in the rear view. Things don't just happen unluckily, banana peals appear from nowhere and suddenly you have crippling medical issues out of the blue. Physical reality is rewritten on the fly in order to make you "unlucky".

Edit: Also, yes, the turtle powered cars are amazing.

I just watched the film and lol it's like any other devil fruit

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Rereading the Zou arc, it's even better when you know about the twist regarding Raizou. Those poor minks went through a lot of poo poo before the Strawhats got there. I think the scene where they reveal that they knew about and were protecting Raizou the whole time is one of my favorite One Piece moments.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
how the gently caress did i never notice luffy and blackbeard both have open red shirts that they wear just past the elbow and a yellow sash.

do you think they'll be wearing the same clothes by the end of the series, lol

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They'll have eyepatches on opposing eyes

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tap my mountain posted:

They'll have eyepatches on opposing eyes

That literally just happened with Pedro and Tamago. Although it was hair and sunglasses, not eyepatches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i keep thinking back on the whole eyepatches making you able to see in absolute darkness thing and how luffy will sharingan at the final moment by... having a completely normal eye under his eyepatch

this will happen after blackbeard destroys the moon, of course.

also blackbeard will have one too from killing shanks but gets payback for the scar.

hire me oda.