Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

If memory serves, Richard said goons should have a code phrase to ID each other IRL. Then promptly told everyone never to actually use or say that because what kind of loser talks about the Internet forum they post on. This was what, 2003? Earlier? When most folks still thought of interacting on an online forum with other people a niche esoteric hobby at best.

So there's no real story that I know of (but I'm a lowly :regd06: so maybe an OG user has better/clarified insight).

Was there ever another user like :coupons: - I don't remember the name, only that the emote came about because someone who frequented the Coupons forum was using the ignore function so heavily it broke the forums somehow. I'm assuming that's why the ignore list is finite as well?

From what I recall, it was one of those weird chatlogs where people talked to bots to see what kind of poo poo the bots would say. These logs were then posted as front page content.

Anyway, someone (maybe Lowtax) asked the bot 'Do you have stairs in your house?' and the bot came back with 'I am protected', which took off as the catchphrase.

EDIT: Well, I was close. From SAclopedia:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

If anyone has said that irl they should be ostracized

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, that was the Terrible Secret of Space, with the pusher robot and shover robot, which was based on an IM prank Lowtax did against some kid.

E: didn't see new page.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lmao if you don't have that and the All Your Base song saved in ancient folders somewhere on your hard drive

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

kru posted:

If anyone has said that irl they should be ostracized

There really is no good way to identify a goon in the wild. Which is a shame, because (all joking aside here) in my experience goons are usually pretty smart and/or funny.

It's really tempting to temper that statement with a joke because making fun of goons is so easy and that's sort of the whole culture here, but yeah. Most goons I meet IRL end up being pretty cool people.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

timp posted:

There really is no good way to identify a goon in the wild. Which is a shame, because (all joking aside here) in my experience goons are usually pretty smart and/or funny.

It's really tempting to temper that statement with a joke because making fun of goons is so easy and that's sort of the whole culture here, but yeah. Most goons I meet IRL end up being pretty cool people.

I think this is a result of the fact that goons who actually leave the house have the self awareness to laugh at themselves.

The ones who are insufferable shits live up to the 'never leave moms basement' stereo type.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Lmao if you don't have that and the All Your Base song saved in ancient folders somewhere on your hard drive

This, but "she_can_stay_my_home.mp3"

(somebody please have this)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pastry of the Year posted:

This, but "she_can_stay_my_home.mp3"

(somebody please have this)

I got you fam, hold on

e:

I actually played it for my sister and a friend while we waited for people to show up for new years, and it's been years since I listened to it last. Weird coincidence! Do you know who made it?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Jan 6, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

I got you fam, hold on

e:

I actually played it for my sister and a friend while we waited for people to show up for new years, and it's been years since I listened to it last. Weird coincidence! Do you know who made it?

Holy SMOKES, I never thought I'd hear this again.

I really have no idea who made it! It was on mp3.com way way back at the height of Mahirmania, literally credited to Mahir Cagri. One of the later Wayback Machine snapshots credited it to someone calling themselves "bayond control":

Thanks for digging this up!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yeah I remember it being on mp3.com

It's just so drat catchy too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Digging deeper:

This version from archive.org has an "Andrew Allsop" listed: http://web.archive.org/web/20031130072857/http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/mahir_cagri.html

And here's a weird email thread from 2000 in the alt.music.ween newsgroup that seem to be between an Andrew Allsop and someone called stainedpants arguing over the rights to a Mahir Cagri sogn?!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.music.ween/3GQEm9b7dZg

Yeesh that is a rabbithole.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paladinus posted:

What's the story behind pink polo shirts?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Also I don't know why you think popped collars/pink polos originated here (or how it is "creepy") - people did it but I think this is one of the many cases where someone thinks SA made something up just because they saw it here for the first time even though it had been around for a while prior to it being posted here.

So the story goes, and keep in mind this is around like 2002-2005 when the idea of an internet hoax was still fairly new, a Goon in GBS read about that colored wristband/hair tie urban legend. If you don't remember, it was said that jr and high school girls were wearing stacks of colored bands around their wrists to indicate what sexual activities they were willing to perform (red for oral, purple for anal, etc). Boys would then snap the bracelet color with scissors as a way of asking for sex, and the girls were required to perform the act.

The goon, or goons, in question decided that they should start a fake rumor about Pinklighting (I forget what the term was actually, think it's close to that) -- in which guys would turn up pink polo shirt collars to signal sexual availability or something like that. I can't remember if it was a generic down to gently caress signal or if it was specifically for the gay sex, but it was meant as another moral panic type story. There was a whole thread dedicated to fostering the myth, with an offsite forum later created to help spread the lie.

An enterprising journalist eventually started looking into the 'trend' and noticed that the majority of discussion originated from SA and the offsite (Chewbacca.org or something like that). He did some digging and eventually published a small article refuting the shocking new trend, which torpedoed the whole sham before it could properly get off the ground.

Iirc, they chose popped collar because it was something douchenozzles did.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Just go to any frat house in the country and you will see popped collars (sometimes even the double-triple popped variety) of various colors, but tending toward the pink/purple side all over the place. The gay sex thing was probably just trying to make fun of frat guys because of their general homoeroticness.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I popped my collar ironically all through '03-'05

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Just go to any frat house in the country and you will see popped collars (sometimes even the double-triple popped variety) of various colors, but tending toward the pink/purple side all over the place.

Serious post, are you posting from over ten years in the past? I live in a college town and I don't think I've seen this since 2007 or so

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The popped collar crowd has aged out and been replaced with these fine specimens of humanity:

People who wore popped collar pink polos in college are now the ones who dress like they shop exclusively at the L.L. Bean toddler department:

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Jan 6, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I was afraid to ask, cause I don't think I've seen a popped collar since like 2008 at the latest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Those dudes are pretty cool & rapey imo. Like our fratboys of yore.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Last Chance posted:

Serious post, are you posting from over ten years in the past? I live in a college town and I don't think I've seen this since 2007 or so

People were doing it at UF when I graduated about 3 years ago :shrug:

Many students there were also still wearing jorts though so maybe they aren't representative of college students as a whole.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

Those dudes are pretty cool & rapey imo. Like our fratboys of yore.

I used to work at a concert venue and hands-down these types of dudes were the absolute worst scum of the earth. I'd work a million Kid Rock/Deadmau5/My Chemical Romance/private event where a company paid the Counting Crows $250k to play a 30-minute set for <200 people before I'd ever work another local-college-rave-night event. IIRC the Barstool Sports Foam Party even still holds the record for highest percentage of people being kicked out of the venue, and a lot of them were for super-lovely things like groping women or loving in the disgusting bathroom stalls or openly selling each other pills on the dance floor. Even the actual EDM shows which are usually pretty nuts paled in comparison to that poo poo. Hell, even the weekly gay dance club night was less intense.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

So the story goes, and keep in mind this is around like 2002-2005 when the idea of an internet hoax was still fairly new, a Goon in GBS read about that colored wristband/hair tie urban legend. If you don't remember, it was said that jr and high school girls were wearing stacks of colored bands around their wrists to indicate what sexual activities they were willing to perform (red for oral, purple for anal, etc). Boys would then snap the bracelet color with scissors as a way of asking for sex, and the girls were required to perform the act.

The goon, or goons, in question decided that they should start a fake rumor about Pinklighting (I forget what the term was actually, think it's close to that) -- in which guys would turn up pink polo shirt collars to signal sexual availability or something like that. I can't remember if it was a generic down to gently caress signal or if it was specifically for the gay sex, but it was meant as another moral panic type story. There was a whole thread dedicated to fostering the myth, with an offsite forum later created to help spread the lie.

An enterprising journalist eventually started looking into the 'trend' and noticed that the majority of discussion originated from SA and the offsite (Chewbacca.org or something like that). He did some digging and eventually published a small article refuting the shocking new trend, which torpedoed the whole sham before it could properly get off the ground.

Iirc, they chose popped collar because it was something douchenozzles did.

I thought the popped collar/sunglasses frat boy selfies was a mid 2000s fyad thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought the popped collar/sunglasses frat boy selfies was a mid 2000s fyad thing

that was very much a real life thing. though maybe fyad parodied it, i dunno.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This was a thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure that first guy went on to rape that girl, just going by his expression.

e: One more, just to keep getting more.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Only one person has been able to pull off the popped collar and even the Fonz had the wherewithal to only do it to a leather jacket.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

grannypoppin, not double turtleneck bumpin like you should be

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I always kinda liked the multiple-popped-collars thing because the dudes were obviously putting thought into the color gradation of the layers, and being able to draw a comparison between 21st century frat bros and those heian princesses from the year 1000 who wore 17 dresses and would be thrown out of polite society if one layer was a slightly wrong shade of pink was kinda neat

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Surprisingly, the number of popped collars in the inspirational poster image macro negatively correlates to the coolness of the dude!!

8 collars: thumb with a face, from the classic "thumb" movie parodies
9 collars: the corpse of Morgan Spurlock from the alternate reality where he Super Sized Himself every day until his death
10 collars: me. What the

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Jan 7, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i remember for a while you could buy shirts with extra collars sewn in so you could pop more than one at once without having to layer

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yes. This is also when all jeans had fake holes already fake repaired.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

i remember for a while you could buy shirts with extra collars sewn in so you could pop more than one at once without having to layer

I do not and cannot believe this.

Edit: but now I remember when you could buy tank tops that were the same (multi layered but really just one, the douche girl equivalent) so anything is possible.

Scudworth has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Jan 7, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

that was very much a real life thing. though maybe fyad parodied it, i dunno.

I meant specifically on here. I remember Doc evil and I think Rorschach doing it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aesop Poprock posted:

I meant specifically on here. I remember Doc evil and I think Rorschach doing it

Oh right. sorry i misread.

me multipoppin circa 03. and "amusingly", the red/green shirt is actually just a green t-shirt that has a fake red collar (or vice versa, i no longer remember).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

Oh right. sorry i misread.

me multipoppin circa 03. and "amusingly", the red/green shirt is actually just a green t-shirt that has a fake red collar (or vice versa, i no longer remember).

Are you wearing a garbage bag on top of it all?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Krowley posted:

the joke writes itself

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krowley posted:

yes, literally :D

(pic is from Roskilde Festival '04 and it was raining)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

yes, literally :D

(pic is from Roskilde Festival '04 and it was raining)

That's a fashionable as heck v neck trash bag tunic to be fair

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Pffft, it's last year's v neck trash bag tunic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aesop Poprock posted:

thank u, it was also very comfy

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yes. This is also when all jeans had fake holes already fake repaired.

Target is selling these as we speak: http://www.target.com/p/men-s-slim-straight-jeans-medium-wash-with-repair-mossimo-supply-co/-/A-50970628

Fashion is cyclical. I hope low rise flared jeans for women don't come back, or that awful faux whiskered fading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I could have sworn it was "greenlighting," not "pinklighting," but oddly, my brain didn't prioritize remembering this detail from over a decade ago.