Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Commonly known as 'octopus stinkhorn', who may also be a megaman boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If they ever insist on showing the origins of the black goo I hope it's revealed as coming from an utterly bizarre and freaky-looking alien planet that's infested with weird plant life that looks just like that, but it would probably take way too large of a budget to create.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

SUNKOS posted:

If they ever insist on showing the origins of the black goo I hope it's revealed as coming from an utterly bizarre and freaky-looking alien planet that's infested with weird plant life that looks just like that, but it would probably take way too large of a budget to create.

I hope it's something they found in the equivalent of a backwoods Big Lots (but in space), and the creators of it actually use it for mustard or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Reboot Alien but instead of LV-426 have the Nostromo land on Australia

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Mother's deciphered the signal. It's not a distress call. It's a warning for refugees to stay away

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Kane gets hit in the face by a huge rear end cane toad

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Ripley deals with the alien threat by 'quarantining' it on Naaru.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kane grows a little pouch that the chestburster rides around in. Ash calls it Joey.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

SUNKOS posted:

I wanted the Engineer/black goo planet to look like this:

https://vimeo.com/84132755

(which was actually produced by Ridley Scott IIRC)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Reboot Alien but instead of LV-426 have the Nostromo land on Australia

A literal translation of the Engineer in Prometheus is "G'day fellas you here for the Barby? "

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Noice.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

I wanted the Engineer/black goo planet to look like this:

https://vimeo.com/84132755

(which was actually produced by Ridley Scott IIRC)

I believe he's credited as a producer on everything that comes out of RSA, making it hard to tell exactly how hands-on he was with any given project. It was made pretty much concurrent to Prometheus' post-production though, so if he didn't have an input it's quite a coincidence.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Kinda feeling stupid for not really noticing it before, but the "engineers" at the beginning of Prometheus are dressed like Jedi and the one they find is dressed like a Sith.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

Kinda feeling stupid for not really noticing it before, but the "engineers" at the beginning of Prometheus are dressed like Jedi and the one they find is dressed like a Sith.

I see the Jedi with the hooded robe I guess, but Sith? They also wear hooded robes, just black instead of brown.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Bugblatter posted:

I see the Jedi with the hooded robe I guess, but Sith? They also wear hooded robes, just black instead of brown.

Yeah, I am thinking of secondary materials more than for the Jedi-resemblance:

Darth Malak:

The Grand Inquisitor:

Darth Vader (w/o mask):

The later-most having the bonus of also looking a lot like Weyland.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Still not really seeing it? And it's hard to imagine Ridley caring for SW EU. Do you have any sort of meaningful interpretation based on the observation?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hodgepodge posted:

Darth Vader (w/o mask):

They should have attached a harmonica in his suit right there.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tenzarin posted:

They should have attached a harmonica in his suit right there.

Someone hasn't watched the special editions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZBevXohCI

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Bugblatter posted:

Still not really seeing it? And it's hard to imagine Ridley caring for SW EU. Do you have any sort of meaningful interpretation based on the observation?

Shaw expects to find a world full of benevolent Jedi. Instead, she finds a Sith Temple destroyed by experimentation with the Dark Side (black goo) and they awaken the last Sith Lord.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

It makes sense that Ridley Scott would throw in a nod to Star Wars. The parallels between Vader's resurrection and Frankenstein's monster's birth are obvious, Frankenstein was the modern Prometheus, therefore Sheev Palpatine is our generation's Prometheus QED.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

Shaw expects to find a world full of benevolent Jedi. Instead, she finds a Sith Temple destroyed by experimentation with the Dark Side (black goo) and they awaken the last Sith Lord.

But what does that say? You're just stating the parallels, I'm curious what they communicate.

Prometheus is absolutely built out of references to classic scifi cinema, but in a way that makes statements. An idealistic, religious, and naive group adventurers who are represented by nods to golden age scifi design are destroyed when they realize to late that they exist in the cold and cynical Alien universe. They're idealism and fairy tales did not prepare them to deal with the harsh reality.

I'm not sure how a SW nod fits or what it might add? Both franchises do draw heavily from many of the same sources though.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Prometheus (the film) is making a reference to the myth of Prometheus, from which it also draws its title. It relates to the exact theme you brought up, hubris followed by punishment. Frankenstein nods to Prometheus, Star Wars nods to Frankenstein, Prometheus nods to Star Wars. The circle is now complete.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Bugblatter posted:

But what does that say? You're just stating the parallels, I'm curious what they communicate.

Prometheus is absolutely built out of references to classic scifi cinema, but in a way that makes statements. An idealistic, religious, and naive group adventurers who are represented by nods to golden age scifi design are destroyed when they realize to late that they exist in the cold and cynical Alien universe. They're idealism and fairy tales did not prepare them to deal with the harsh reality.

I'm not sure how a SW nod fits or what it might add? Both franchises do draw heavily from many of the same sources though.

I think it connects the critique of several sorts of new age thinking- the fan culture of Star Wars and the conspiracy-theorist's ancient aliens theology. Scott is suggesting that our desire to see the Space Jockey from the first movie is no different from a conspiracy theorist's desire for God to have a home planet we can locate and visit. Or our desire to see what Darth Vader was like when he was Anakin Skywalker.

Should we be granted this wish, our anticipated pleasure would invariably turn to pain as we are forced to deal with the Absolute within the real rather than the imaginary.

e: Latent within this is the suggestion that Scott didn't show us more of the Space Jockey because he hoped it would inspire us to dream of what it might be. Likewise, perhaps God left us not because we had disappointed him, but because he already considered us a success and decided that we no longer needed him.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 8, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

punchymcpunch posted:

Prometheus (the film) is making a reference to the myth of Prometheus, from which it also draws its title. It relates to the exact theme you brought up, hubris followed by punishment. Frankenstein nods to Prometheus, Star Wars nods to Frankenstein, Prometheus nods to Star Wars. The circle is now complete.
Would you say it rhymes? Kind of like poetry?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

:eyepop:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Hodgepodge posted:

I think it connects the critique of several sorts of new age thinking- the fan culture of Star Wars and the conspiracy-theorist's ancient aliens theology. Scott is suggesting that our desire to see the Space Jockey from the first movie is no different from a conspiracy theorist's desire for God to have a home planet we can locate and visit. Or our desire to see what Darth Vader was like when he was Anakin Skywalker.

Should we be granted this wish, our anticipated pleasure would invariably turn to pain as we are forced to deal with the Absolute within the real rather than the imaginary.

e: Latent within this is the suggestion that Scott didn't show us more of the Space Jockey because he hoped it would inspire us to dream of what it might be. Likewise, perhaps God left us not because we had disappointed him, but because he already considered us a success and decided that we no longer needed him.

I'm all for the "death of the author" approach but then it doesn't make sense to attribute the interpreted meaning back to the author. Your interpretation, to me, fits the film more but as far as I know Scott really does believe in the ancient aliens hypothesis, or at least he takes it very seriously.

See this recent interview: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a817799/alien-covenant-prometheus-sequel-ridley-scott-spoilers/ His understanding of evolutionary theory seems to be on the level of "If we evolved from monkeys how come there are still monkeys?"

Of course, Lindelof and Spaihts were also authors of the film.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 8, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm all for the "death of the author" approach but then it doesn't make sense to attribute the interpreted meaning back to the author. Your interpretation, to me, fits the film more but as far as I know Scott really does believe in the ancient aliens hypothesis, or at least he takes it very seriously.

See this recent interview: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a817799/alien-covenant-prometheus-sequel-ridley-scott-spoilers/ His understanding of evolutionary theory seems to be on the level of "If we evolved from monkeys how come there are still monkeys?"

Of course, Lindelof and Spaihts were also authors of the film.

What Scott actually does there is make a stock defense of his Christian faith in God, which may well be new agey enough to include ancient aliens.

But you can believe in God and even that he is an ancient alien(s), have shallow justifications for this, and still usefully critique a flawed permutation of those beliefs. Perhaps he is simply taking his own beliefs seriously enough to criticize them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ridley Scott has been a vocal atheist for years, so this is actually a huge change for him between Prometheus (and even Exodus: Gods and Kings) to now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prometheus and Exodus are both Christian Atheist films.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Prometheus you can definitely think that but LMAO you obviously haven't seen Exodus.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Yahweh in Exodus is kinda like the Greek pantheon in Tarsem Singh's Immortals, who iirc is also an atheist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

Prometheus you can definitely think that but LMAO you obviously haven't seen Exodus.

You need to distinguish plot content from storytelling. Exodus is obviously the plot of the Old Testament, in the same way that Prometheus depicts
ancient alien theories in a straightforwardly literal manner.

The thesis of Exodus, however, is that there is no actual god. The film provides an ideological critique of the Moses story, going well beyond any worthless Dawkins stuff.

Water Sheep
Jan 6, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The film provides an ideological critique of the Moses story, going well beyond any worthless Dawkins stuff.

Whoa, how?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Danny McBride has range. He's an excellent actor.

pages late but this is as true as it gets

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Exodus shows God as a small child throwing a temper tantrum. Ain't exactly a loving portrayal.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

alf_pogs posted:

pages late but this is as true as it gets

I'm a little disappointed he's going to be playing a hick named Tennessee. You can tell he's a redneck because he has a cowboy hat.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SimonCat posted:

I'm a little disappointed he's going to be playing a hick named Tennessee. You can tell he's a redneck because he has a cowboy hat.

i bet he'll be one of those good-hearted crafty rednecks too

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Like in the recent movie The VVitch, Scott approaches the Old Testament as a historical document, and speculates as to what social and economic conditions led to the creation of this document. In this way, Exodus treats the existence of God as a philosophical concept - a science fiction concept, where God doesn't actually exist, but nonetheless persists insofar as people believe in Him. (This is what distinguishes Scott from Dawkins).

In one of the most clear-cut examples, there's a joke where everything in the film has a rational explanation, up until the point where the pharaoh's proto-scientific advisor is killed. Without him to explain that the red in the water is just clay and not blood, the historical record suddenly turns very abstract. People start talking in terms of 'a plague of darkness' and whatnot. The plague of darkness then just stands for the general breakdown of society, the Pharoah's madness, etc.

There's a focus throughout on who is witnessing what, at what point. What is the source for these particular events.

The point is not that people back then were dumb, but rather that there is very good cause to see these Jewish slaves as God's chosen people - that this belief had a very real effect in motivating the slaves to resist oppression. At the same time, though, this belief falls short of Christ's teaching that all the meek should inherit the Earth. Exodus functions as a prequel to Prometheus (as does The Martian), and shares a lot of the imagery.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs posted:

i bet he'll be one of those good-hearted crafty rednecks too

Idgaf if it's a legit spoiler but apparently he makes it to the end, which gives me so much hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is what distinguishes Scott from Dawkins.

also one makes movies and the other one is whacky on twitter