Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This looks incredibly cool. I have no idea what it's about and had never heard of it, but I kinda wanna watch it now. Good job OP (meant in both ways)

It's the best show of 2016, and probably 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The faces in Tanya are really loving ugly.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

darkgray posted:

You know it's not based on the manga? There's an on-going novel series with 7 volumes out. They have their own illustrator, making the original designs.

Not to say they made that justice either.

Oh! Well then, the manga's the prime as far as I know. Nails the "terrifying monster that should not exist" faces, reactions, everything.

And is the novel in WW1? Because the anime definitely is, manga's more WW2 at a tech level and happenings. Then again, WW1 interest from Battlefield 1 being a hit seller in Japan.

e: novel illustrations look fine. The anime is what it is. How..

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 6, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

MrLonghair posted:

And is the novel in WW1? Because the anime definitely is, manga's more WW2 at a tech level and happenings. Then again, WW1 interest from Battlefield 1 being a hit seller in Japan.

I haven't read it myself, so I don't really know, but the wikipedia page describes the world setting as similar to Europe in a mix of WW1 and WW2.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

LN goes on and on about trench warfare and the world-shattering power of artillery which really screams ww1 to me

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
First episode of Fuuka is ok, but romance was never my thing. Good music, at least.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lol fuukas this season? I'm glad

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the main thing about fuuka that would give me pause is the big chapter 37 twist. so I'd think it would take most of a single cour run just to drop that in your lap and then there's so much less time to deal with the fallout. but my only experience with the story is from hearsay so who knows.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

but my only experience with the story is from hearsay so who knows.
same but it was enough to tell me not to watch it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

real good clouds

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

the main thing about fuuka that would give me pause is the big chapter 37 twist. so I'd think it would take most of a single cour run just to drop that in your lap and then there's so much less time to deal with the fallout. but my only experience with the story is from hearsay so who knows.

Tell me the thing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

devtesla posted:

It's the best show of 2016, and probably 2017

High praise, considering 2016 gave us flip flappers, sweetness and lightning, Mob Psycho 100, konosuba, and more that I'm probably forgetting.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Fuuka good? the description in the op makes it sound not very good.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Fuuka is the sequel to kimi no iru machi, right? So if you liked that, same thing.

From what I've heard. I hate kimi with a passion, so I'll never read or watch fuuka.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

Tell me the thing.

I didn't know this was so unheard, given how much fuuka hate I've seen in adtrw

the female lead is killed by a truck

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

I didn't know this was so unheard, given how much fuuka hate I've seen in adtrw

the female lead is killed by a truck

is it the one where she gets quickly replaced by a similar character? I might've heard of it a few years back then.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

lets hang out posted:

LN goes on and on about trench warfare and the world-shattering power of artillery which really screams ww1 to me

Said 1924, which is like six years after WWI like it never ended. There better be tanks though, unless magical girl bullets have obsoleted them...

I'm kinda okay with Evil Madoka (yes, it's Aoi Yuuki) so far. It'll go at least three episodes for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

is it the one where she gets quickly replaced by a similar character? I might've heard of it a few years back then.

there is another girl with the same name, but i have no idea when she first appears

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

lets hang out posted:

The map has the Germany Analog with Czechoslovakian, and Austrian land though. It's more like a theoretical Großdeutschland in WW1.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fuuka is the sequel to kimi no iru machi, right? So if you liked that, same thing.

From what I've heard. I hate kimi with a passion, so I'll never read or watch fuuka.

no, it's the sequel to suzuka

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, although I've heard of Town Where You Live, and even read a few chapters iirc somehow I missed (or forgot about) Fuuka.

Meh, doesn't sound like my thing.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Forest Fairy Five was so boring I couldn't finish the first episode

Schoolgirl Strikers was also pretty boring for an action show and also had some stupid outfits.

I liked Tanya though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The Colonel posted:

no, it's the sequel to suzuka

Go me :downsrim:

They're related somehow, I know that.

I also know that I've tried multiple of his works and I just don't like 'em, except his that first oneshot that eventually got a short seires.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

"Gee, I wonder what the twist for Fuuka is people are talking about, better go look it up." A few minutes later... :psyduck:

But yes, the female lead is the daughter of the two main characters from Suzuka. She apparently makes a small appearance in Kimi no Iru Machi as well, which may be why someone was thinking of that. And if it does end up being only a single cour, that twist sure is in an awkward spot, because it's right around where single cour shows tend to cut off.

edit: I actually read Suzuka years ago, but never touched this one. Not sure yet if I'll watch it, but I hadn't previously realized the connection. And yeah, Kouji Seo's works certainly do tend to have some, hmm, "interesting" directions they go.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 6, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

dogsicle posted:

there is another girl with the same name, but i have no idea when she first appears

And I think he's now somehow resurrected the original Fuuka? Or introduced some sort of Fuuka 1.0 clone?

Each time I hear about Fuuka it sounds even more ridiculous than it did before. And not in a good way.

Though I'm not sure what else I was expecting from Seo Kouji.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

High praise, considering 2016 gave us flip flappers, sweetness and lightning, Mob Psycho 100, konosuba, and more that I'm probably forgetting.

It's really really good! Every time I watch it I notice something new about it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

devtesla posted:

It's really really good! Every time I watch it I notice something new about it.

I will download it when I get home!

Gotta try and knock it out before the season starts, but :laffo: at having time during the season / grad school.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I will download it when I get home!

Gotta try and knock it out before the season starts, but :laffo: at having time during the season / grad school.

The first episode of season two goes up in a little over an hour lol. I admire your drive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It deserves that praise. Seriously. Euph S2, Flip Flappers, and/or Mob may be more to your tastes depending on what your tastes are, but it's absolutely a top-tier 2016 show.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
There's no way I'm watching this as it airs this season, I have too much to watch as is. I'd watch it once it's all out. Maybe I'll just wait until s2 is done.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Random Voting Results Spoiler: Rakugo has the highest average score, as in, people who watched it and put it in their top 5 typically rated it very highly, like #1 or #2. This may show that the show is very polarizing, or very e/n: either you absolutely love it or are very meh about it. But it is a small sample size!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
More likely, most didn't watch it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So the spoilers here (because I am a bad person) sparked my interest in Fuuka, since I like ridiculous.

Seems really good from the first two episodes. Drags you in, makes you care about them, shows their concerns and worries in, if not a subtle way, much more subtle than a lot of shows.

Not sure where it's going to go from here, since they didn't leave too many main-plot loose ends hanging for episodes 3 and beyond (Oh, they're going to start a light music club. Great...) but I'll tune in.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

AnacondaHL posted:

Random Voting Results Spoiler: Rakugo has the highest average score, as in, people who watched it and put it in their top 5 typically rated it very highly, like #1 or #2. This may show that the show is very polarizing, or very e/n: either you absolutely love it or are very meh about it. But it is a small sample size!

The 2ch version's thread had an interesting way of showing vote stats halfway through the poll, which looked like this:

KonoSuba

Re:Zero

Eupho s2

Kind of gives a visual aid to the spread of votes. What would it be like for ours?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I can set up a visualization like that for our stuff too! Let me tinker with spreadsheet formulas this weekend :shobon:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Degurechaff is just so drat pissed all the time.

I love it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

There's no way I'm watching this as it airs this season, I have too much to watch as is. I'd watch it once it's all out. Maybe I'll just wait until s2 is done.

This used to be me, but I just graduated and have no job so now I have plenty of time! :v:

someone pls give me a job

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I had a job, not much time for all the anime. Went back to school. Still not a lot of time for the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

She wouldn't be called tanya the evil if she fought for eth allies

• Locked thread