Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Good lord. I've been to some of those green triangles; what the gently caress are the red one's like if the ones I saw are green.
I worked for a few months in High Level, which is near the two red triangles in northwesternmost Alberta. One of them, Chateh, apparently used to have clinic days, but we weren't doing those anymore after someone tried to burn down the nursing station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like this setting

quote:

On December 3, 2059, an earthquake destroyed the Richmond suburb, built on reclaimed land in the Fraser River delta. The Cascade Crow conducted a ceremony to honor the dead, but have largely left the ruins to rot.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm actually playing a Shadow run campaign right now and it's less "Wow this stuff is so far out and crazy hi tech!" And more like "poo poo I can see this in like 10 years, 20 for the funky stuff".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like this setting

The Shadowrun setting can get eerily accurate in some ways.

In other ways its hilarious. Like Thunder Bay turning into a major metro area.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

EvilJoven posted:

Not really. I love it here, it's way more relaxed than the GTA, that's for sure. The province and Winnipeg itself aren't without their problems but if I had to do it all over again I'd do it without hesitation.

EDIT: full disclosure because my NY resolution is to do way less shitposting and trolling in canpol:

There's honestly a LOT racism here. You gotta be prepared to either live with it or confront it. I've been doing a little of A and a little of B ever since I moved here. There's so much 'I'm not racist BUT gently caress Indians' going on in this city for the first month it was shocking at first.

It does feel isolated, because it is. Manitoba is one of those provinces people forget when asked to name all the provinces. Most policy decisions at the federal level completely ignore the entire province.

Winnipegers love playing up all the negatives of the city, brush off the positives and act like the city has nothing of value and that the grass is so brilliantly green you can't look at it direclty on the other side of the fence. Winnipeg has massive Southern Ontario envy, including for some twisted reason wishing we had our own 401, Gardiner and DVP to spend hours stuck on.

The surface roads are rutted and potholey and ya sometimes they suck rear end, but that's true of Toronto and everywhere else in Canada I've driven a car.

That being said, it's really nice here. People who've been here a while and are willing discuss the city earnestly say it's way better now than even a decade ago and it's improving in leaps and bounds. I just wish city planning were better, the newer suburbs here have all the horrible design choices of the ones that started appearing in the GTA.

fwiw for any visible minority "a LOT of racism" overrides however nice a place can be

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

In other ways its hilarious. Like Thunder Bay turning into a major metro area.

Torontonians had to go somewhere

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Good lord. I've been to some of those green triangles; what the gently caress are the red one's like if the ones I saw are green.

As someone who spends a lot of time working in the red triangles in Manitoba & NW Ontario: exactly as bad as you would expect.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

fwiw for any visible minority "a LOT of racism" overrides however nice a place can be

Ya I know that's why I brought it up. I'd hate to tell a native that isn't already used to poo poo attitudes about how Winnipeg is the best ever and have him move here based on my advice.

No idea if it's bad for other visible minorities, I honestly don't hear too much griping about anyone else.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When I used to work at Polo Park mall, most racists complained about the Filipinos and their large families taking up so much space.

But now it's mainly safe to target the natives and how they are the reason people will never venture downtown outside of Jets games

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The National Post: a lovely paper.

quote:

John Robson: Now we know Barack Obama’s foreign policy wasn’t principled, it was malicious

Barack Obama’s nasty parting shot at Israel may well have secured his legacy in foreign affairs. As weak, malevolent and sneaky.

His foreign policy has been a disaster almost from the outset in ways that contributed to the frustration and rage that poisoned the 2016 election. In part, Obama simply seemed languid, unable to stir himself in the face of threats or even look up from his putt. But there were always those who suggested that behind the indolence and prissy Wilsonian pose of being “too proud to fight” lurked something more sinister.

Obama, they claimed, was viscerally hostile to the United States and the West. When he took office he had the bust of Churchill removed from the Oval Office. His relations with Israel were always prickly. He snubbed Canada in spiking Keystone XL. Yet he did not react with alarm or even visible discomfort to threats to NATO such as Russian moves to destabilize and partially dismember Ukraine, despite a firm American security guarantee when it gave up its nuclear arsenal in 1994.

Then there was his very revealing response to a 2009 question about American exceptionalism: “I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.” As too often with Obama, the quicksilver tongue formed a yes that swiftly, smoothly morphed into a no.

Still, one could always make excuses. That Churchill bust was loaned to Bush. Israeli PM Netanyahu is himself prickly. Ukraine was corrupt and it’s very risky to act decisively in an area so close to Russia’s heartland. It was high time America had a less arrogant president.

It was even argued that despite short-run upheavals, there would be significant long-term benefits to Obama’s overdue reduction in American overreach. The U.S. would get a much-needed respite while encouraging its allies to step up in the world. Unfortunately Obama shrugged as the withdrawal turned into a rout while its Western allies, long accustomed to a free ride, seemed unable to find their convictions, weapons or wallets. Indeed, both Britain and France voted for Security Council Resolution 2334 on which Obama’s representative abstained, a loathsome document essentially denying any Jewish connection to key sites in “East Jerusalem” including the Temple Mount, although British PM Theresa May went after John Kerry for his pompous post-vote speech piling on to Israel.

Whatever one thinks of British foreign policy, Obama’s snaky stab at Israel makes it very hard not to put the least favourable interpretation on much that went before, including his infamous nuclear deal with Iran. It vindicates those critics who called him anti-American or simply un-American, sharing his father’s anti-colonial mentality in which the United States was just one more arrogant white nation oppressing non-whites like himself. As Britain’s Daniel Hannan has pointed out, when Obama went to West Africa and spoke of the slave trade, he made no mention of the Royal Navy’s role in stamping it out.

Obama fell far short of his aspirations to be “a uniter, not a divider” in many areas including race. But his failures in foreign policy loom increasingly large and, in light of Resolution 2334, reflect culpable malice and dishonesty along with unworthy timidity.

The malevolence is revealed in his deep hostility to the only democracy in the Middle East, an island of ethnic, religious and gender tolerance in a sea of hate. The same timidity that led him to erase his own “red line” in Syria and dither for years on Keystone XL is on view in his only finally tearing off the mask regarding Israel once he became a lame duck, and then by abstaining on a vote. But the deceit glares forth.

For eight years Obama concealed his true feelings about Israel from leading American Jewish figures like Alan Dershowitz who backed him politically and financially. Jews overwhelmingly vote Democrat but comprise just two per cent of the electorate. But they contribute roughly half the money Obama’s party raises directly. Waiting until it is somebody else’s problem to thrust the dagger is not just a cowardly refusal to take the heat. It’s downright sleazy.

Finally, as if more were needed, it shows the same lack of respect for the U.S. Constitution that Obama frequently showed in attempting feebly to brush aside the separation of powers. As a lame duck whose party just lost the 2016 election badly, winning the popular presidential vote but losing the Electoral College, the Senate and the House and doing very badly at the state level, he had no authority to undertake a major policy change openly opposed by his successor that his spokespersons characteristically denied even happened.

Obama might possibly have escaped into the history books only as a man who meant well feebly in foreign affairs. Not any more.

Obama is anti-american and anti-West because he gave back a bust of Churchill loaned to Bush.

Abstaining on a security council resolution that every other member voted in favour of, this, not all of Obama's other mistakes, no this vote is what will show Obama was weak.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Count Roland posted:

Obama is anti-american and anti-West because he gave back a bust of Churchill loaned to Bush.

Abstaining on a security council resolution that every other member voted in favour of, this, not all of Obama's other mistakes, no this vote is what will show Obama was weak.

They've been running these everyday for a week in the Post.

There was one on Monday(?) all about how Obama was pro-palestininan, completely neglecting to mention the $38b/10 year military aid deal signed with Israel in September 2016. :ughh:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ezra Levant has been served with yet another libel suit despite still crowd funding the previous one he's lost.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ezra Levant has been served with yet another libel suit despite still crowd funding the previous one he's lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-vek4Sx8wM

:qq: Won't someone protect this journalist? :qq:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Speaking of fake news, here's some settled science.

https://twitter.com/cbcalerts/status/817399280835194880

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

What does this have to with fake news? Did you read the article?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That'd be a good map to use for a fake purpose like HAARP or something

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Headline: The Ocean air currents are gonna stop like in that movie!
Article: A model run under somewhat different settings than normal suggests that, in 300 years, the air currents over the ocean might collapse. Those who saw a stupid film a while back might remember a not entirely inaccurate explanation of why that might be bad.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

What does this have to with fake news? Did you read the article?

Yep I read the article. Did you watch The Day After Tomorrow?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Yep I read the article. Did you watch The Day After Tomorrow?

Yes. Just because the headline is over the top doesn't make the body fake.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

brucio posted:

The CBC really shouldn't be in the sensationalistic clickbait business.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh for sure, I agree with that. It's a sad state we're in when the public broadcaster thinks it has to relate science news to lovely movies in order to get people to pay attention.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's the conceptual incongruity that bugged me I think. News and fiction are fundamentally different and (should) exist for different purposes. Starting our news stories with a tenuous "kinda like in" connection to a sci fi action movie seems like a bigger leap than I'm comfortable with towards full blown Idiocracy.

brucio posted:

It doesn't make the body fake but it does make it bad journalism. A huge percentage of people only read the headline. Over the top exaggerating is dishonest but dishonest news isn't the hot word for it so I went with fake news. Fake news doesn't mean literally fake news, I think it means something along the lines of the partisan, weaponized narrative idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

brucio posted:

Oh for sure, I agree with that. It's a sad state we're in when the public broadcaster thinks it has to relate science news to lovely movies in order to get people to pay attention.

They really do though.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PittTheElder posted:

They really do though.

One of the local Vancouver paper's site has been doing some work to combat ad-blockers, which I can understand since they need to get paid somehow. Unfortunately, this results in a banner ad right where the main headline would be claiming "Angelina Jolie has been murdered, Brad Pitt main suspect."

It is a bit surprising to see serious mainstream journalism basically kill itself.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It doesn't make the body fake but it does make it bad journalism. A huge percentage of people only read the headline. Over the top exaggerating is dishonest but dishonest news isn't the hot word for it so I went with fake news. Fake news doesn't mean literally fake news, I think it means something along the lines of the partisan, weaponized narrative idea.

Where is that ironicat gif that just keeps growing when I need it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fake news doesn't mean literally fake news, I think it means something along the lines of the partisan, weaponized narrative idea.

Watch out, that slope looks icy.

Also, fake news literally means fake news.

i.e.:

ocrumsprug posted:

claiming "Angelina Jolie has been murdered, Brad Pitt main suspect."

This is fake news. A hyperbolic headline referencing a lovely sci-fi movie is not fake news.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't know if it was posted here, but the Glob did a 24 hour summary and backgrounder on how the Vancouver dtes emergency services dealt with opioid emergencies last welfare Wednesday (last week). It's some pretty chilling stuff. I live smack in the middle of that area, saw a guy die on the street last Tuesday:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle33462579/

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

This is fake news. A hyperbolic headline referencing a lovely sci-fi movie is not fake news.

Fake news is bad. Real news is good. Hyperbolic exaggerated news is not fake news. Podesta child sex ring pizza code words isn't fake news because the pizza was real, the rest was just a bit of artistic license. "It's not fake, it's just really exaggerated" is a weird stance to take.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do you legitimately have trouble differentiating reality from fiction or is this some affected naivete?

This isn't a spectrum or a matter of personal interpretation, "effects of changing climate could be reminiscent of scenes depicted in movie the day after tomorrow" and "gaslit imaginings of secret pedophile code words in otherwise innocuous emails" have no commonality.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 6, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do you legitimately have trouble differentiating reality from fiction or is this some affected naivete?

This isn't a spectrum or a matter of personal interpretation, "effects of changing climate could be reminiscent of scenes depicted in movie the day after tomorrow" and "gaslit imaginings of secret pedophile code words in otherwise innocuous emails" have no commonality.

You do remember who you are responding to right? The trifecta of rural conservative troll.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fake news is bad. Real news is good. Hyperbolic exaggerated news is not fake news. Podesta child sex ring pizza code words isn't fake news because the pizza was real, the rest was just a bit of artistic license. "It's not fake, it's just really exaggerated" is a weird stance to take.

referencing a study, and then claiming that it 'evokes' (ie: brings to mind) a bad movie isn't in any way a false claim. It's a dumb claim, but nothing false was said.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

You do remember who you are responding to right? The trifecta of rural conservative troll.

Yes, but he doesn't usually go for the completely indefensible.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JawKnee posted:

referencing a study, and then claiming that it 'evokes' (ie: brings to mind) a bad movie isn't in any way a false claim. It's a dumb claim, but nothing false was said.

Sure, technically it might not be completely false for a journalist to say that reading the study brought this movie to her mind. Even if it's just because the author looks like John Cusack or whatever, it was evoked. I think we can reasonably say though that she was implying the thing that infernal machines rounded it off to, "effects of changing climate could be reminiscent of scenes depicted in movie the day after tomorrow". Reading this scientific paper made me think of the most unscientific movie ever, the one in which the temperature of the storm was dropping by 10 degrees... PER SECOND. I would think most educated journalists would kind of chuckle at the notion and then keep that to themselves so as not to reveal that they're a moron. This journalist thought gently caress no I'm going to put that right in the headline.

They definitely overlap. "Potentially more severe winters and stronger storms omg made me think of The Day After Tomorrow" vs "'The realtor found a handkerchief I think it has a map that seems pizza-related. Is it yours?' is a pretty goddamn odd sentence, here's one reddit user's theory" are both really bad journalism. Moving the goalposts from bad journalism to "is it completely 100% false?" doesn't seem like a good idea.

Furnaceface posted:

I'm a cutting edge progressive you dick. I was the only one here defending transethnic pioneer mr. boyden you'll recall.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if it was posted here, but the Glob did a 24 hour summary and backgrounder on how the Vancouver dtes emergency services dealt with opioid emergencies last welfare Wednesday (last week). It's some pretty chilling stuff. I live smack in the middle of that area, saw a guy die on the street last Tuesday:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle33462579/

You live there and know it better than I do, but is there anything I can do to volunteer or help out down there? Specific groups I should donate to? It's absolutely terrible what's happening with this crisis in the DTES and I want to do something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They definitely overlap. "Potentially more severe winters and stronger storms omg made me think of The Day After Tomorrow" vs "'The realtor found a handkerchief I think it has a map that seems pizza-related. Is it yours?' is a pretty goddamn odd sentence, here's one reddit user's theory" are both really bad journalism. Moving the goalposts from bad journalism to "is it completely 100% false?" doesn't seem like a good idea.

There's no moving goal posts. There is simply no comparison between the two no matter how hard you try to stretch the term "bad journalism". One is the author referencing popular fiction to illustrate a point (poorly) about a real climate study, the other is the wholly fabricated imaginings of 4chan being presented as reality. There is a fundamental difference between these two things.

Reporting on the fact that 4chan/reddit gaslit themselves into believing there is a pedo cult operating out of a pizza joint is also not fake news. The original story that was created is fake news, but reporting on the actions of people who believe it is not.

The word you seem to be searching for is propaganda. Propaganda, bad journalism, and fake news are not synonyms.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 6, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We all remember that journalists don't write their own headlines, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We're all literate enough to realize that wasn't even the headline, right? The headline is a rather dry "Atlantic Ocean circulation could collapse with climate change influence, study says". It's something the CBC social media intern wrote based on the second paragraph of the article, which reads:

quote:

If you've seen the disaster movie The Day After Tomorrow, you may have heard of the Atlantic Ocean currents and their importance.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 6, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's not even the headline of the actual article, it's the summary tweeted by whoever controls the CBC twitter alert.

The reference to the movie occurs in the second paragraph of the article, while the rest of the article is spent discussing the findings of a scientific paper and in turn providing a dissenting opinion.

edit: aw beaten by an infernal machine

I never considered the flip side of fake journalism: people finding journalism they didn't like of being part of the fake journalism racket.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 6, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Right wingers have taken to calling all news they don't like fake, it's the new (((liberal media)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Count Roland posted:

quote:

Then there was his very revealing response to a 2009 question about American exceptionalism: “I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.” As too often with Obama, the quicksilver tongue formed a yes that swiftly, smoothly morphed into a no.

It takes a special kind of national insecurity to be offended -- as a Canadian -- when the American President won't unequivocally declare America the greatest country in the world. And it takes a special kind of insanity to think that a diplomatic spat with a tiny and very lovely ally like Israel is some kind of betrayal of the west.

It's remarkable how in thrall conservatives in the west have become to the government of Israel, as though backing up whatever insane thing that country's far-right government wants to do is a pressing national security interest rather than a massive liability. It's even crazier given that the stated official position of both the Canadian and American governments, as well as the majority of world opinion, favours a two-state soltuion and condemns the current settlements as blatantly illegal. It's only been relatively recently that conservative opinion in the west has become so monolithically in favour of literally anything Israel wants to do, even when it contradicts the official stated position of the USA, which by every realpolitik metric should be the dominant partner in that alliance.

Every major party has a cowardly position on Israel these days but the conservatives and Republicans take it one step further by elevating any disagreement with a foreign head of state on a different continent into a form of treason against the West.