Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Putting away chances was the main difference tbh. Ref was okay-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
having reviewed the pertinent footage, i would like to say: what a load of piss

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I do not know what kind of player Ramsey is anymore, but he's been loving poo poo.

Ramsey used to be energetic, covered a lot of ground, did nice defensive work, and made smart runs. But for the last two years he's looked like he has absolutely no clue what he should be doing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

blue footed boobie posted:

Ramsey used to be energetic, covered a lot of ground, did nice defensive work, and made smart runs. But for the last two years he's looked like he has absolutely no clue what he should be doing.

I agree and disagree. When he's on the wing I believe Wenger is trying to use him as a quasi midfield outlet/late runner into the box, kinda like Theo, and to provide space for Hector. Today he played as a number 10 like what he does for Wales and was exceptionally ineffective. Whether that's down to Perez not being on the same page, Arsenal not being afforded time/space like Wales, or a combination there of is hard to say. What I would say is that there were several promising attacks today that broke down either because he took many touches (much like that time period prior to his purple patch) instead of moving the ball quickly or he tried for a worldy when a simpler pass to a better positioned forward (Iwobi and Perez spring to mind) would have worked better. When he's in central midfield what you describe is exactly what he should be doing, but really hasn't done for 2 years.

Now after all those :words: I personally think that Ramsey let the purple patch get to his head and thinks that he's made it. "Hey I'm Aaron loving Ramsey check out this volley against Liverpool' and his play imo reflects that. The work effort is gone and the constant waving of his arms any time near the box demanding the ball only to turn it over or shoot instead of pass is becoming infuriating. With Wales he's hotshit and that's all well and good, but for Arsenal I'm sorry, but I think he's 4th at best. Alexis and Ozil basically demand the team be built around them and rightly so. Santi provides such great stability, creativity, and security that I rate him as more important. Arguments could also be made for Bellerin and soon maybe Iwobi. I think Ramsey is extremely lucky that Wenger is still around, because I do not believe another manager would continue to endure his current play.

I don't buy into the fact that he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. For all of Wenger's faults I do not believe you could survive as long he has with the consistency of results without your players having even a vague understating of what they should be doing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm not reading all that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can't wait for Santi to be back. Team's needed him bad.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

Can't wait for Santi to be back. Team's needed him bad.

Well I have some news for you.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

gently caress

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I agree and disagree. When he's on the wing I believe Wenger is trying to use him as a quasi midfield outlet/late runner into the box, kinda like Theo, and to provide space for Hector. Today he played as a number 10 like what he does for Wales and was exceptionally ineffective. Whether that's down to Perez not being on the same page, Arsenal not being afforded time/space like Wales, or a combination there of is hard to say. What I would say is that there were several promising attacks today that broke down either because he took many touches (much like that time period prior to his purple patch) instead of moving the ball quickly or he tried for a worldy when a simpler pass to a better positioned forward (Iwobi and Perez spring to mind) would have worked better. When he's in central midfield what you describe is exactly what he should be doing, but really hasn't done for 2 years.

Now after all those :words: I personally think that Ramsey let the purple patch get to his head and thinks that he's made it. "Hey I'm Aaron loving Ramsey check out this volley against Liverpool' and his play imo reflects that. The work effort is gone and the constant waving of his arms any time near the box demanding the ball only to turn it over or shoot instead of pass is becoming infuriating. With Wales he's hotshit and that's all well and good, but for Arsenal I'm sorry, but I think he's 4th at best. Alexis and Ozil basically demand the team be built around them and rightly so. Santi provides such great stability, creativity, and security that I rate him as more important. Arguments could also be made for Bellerin and soon maybe Iwobi. I think Ramsey is extremely lucky that Wenger is still around, because I do not believe another manager would continue to endure his current play.

I don't buy into the fact that he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. For all of Wenger's faults I do not believe you could survive as long he has with the consistency of results without your players having even a vague understating of what they should be doing.

I don't disagree with you that he's bought into his own hype, but I think it's a combination of that and the personnel not really fitting Ramsey's style anymore. I think that Ozil occupies a lot of the space that Ramsey would take up when he bombs forward, so he's not as effective going forward. For the midfield, when he played with Arteta, he could be a more dynamic player because Arteta did a lot of the defensive work and also was the main lynchpin for recycling possession and distributing the ball. When Ramsey plays with Coquelin there's no one to do that. I assume that the plan was to have Xhaka and Ramsey be the midfield pair, but that hasn't worked out so much because Ramsey doesn't cover ground like he used to, and Xhaka gets sent off all the time. So I guess what I'm saying is that we desperately needed with Santi to come back or Ramsey to get his shot together, but Santi is dead now.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
FA Cup woooooooo

Mon the ASCII lads

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
nobody posting that newcastle are winning, are down to 9 men and forest missed 2 pens? alright then

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

nobody posting that newcastle are winning, are down to 9 men and forest missed 2 pens? alright then

They are, in the league thread

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Keep Newcastle chat in the Newcastle thread, this is a real thread for real football fans enjoying this real contest

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
sorry lads i had some idiot mental breakdown :confuoot:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

AFC Wimbledon scored four times in a remarkable last 10 minutes as they came from 3-0 down to beat non-league Curzon Ashton and escape an FA Cup shock.

The home side will be, ahem, Curzon themselves, ho ho.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

FA Cup third-round draw:

Ipswich Town v Lincoln/Oldham
Barrow v Rochdale
Manchester United v Reading
Hull v Swansea
Sunderland v Burnley
QPR v Blackburn
Millwall v Bournemouth
West Ham v Manchester City
Brighton v MK Dons/Charlton
Blackpool v Barnsley
Wigan v Nottm Forest
Birmingham v Newcastle
Chelsea v Notts County
Middlesbrough v Sheff Weds
West Brom v Derby County
Everton v Leicester
Liverpool v Newport/Plymouth
Wycombe v Northampton/Stourbridge
Watford v Burton Albion
Preston v Arsenal
Cardiff v Fulham
Stoke v Wolves
Cambridge Utd v Leeds
Bristol City v Shrewsbury/Fleetwood
Huddersfield v Port Vale
Tottenham v Aston Villa
Brentford v Halifax/Eastleigh
Bolton v Crystal Palace
Norwich v Southampton
Sutton Utd v AFC Wimbledon
Accrington v Luton
Rotherham v Oxford/Macclesfield

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Never ceases to amaze me how often Premier League teams get drawn against each other in these early(ish) stages. Should be some tasty matches this round. When are they being held?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jan 6-9. Very nice.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
at least our defeat will be on TV. also eyeing up that sutton wimbledon match

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
looking forward to Poop getting owned by the hammers tonight.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The best round of the best domestic cup competition is back on :getin:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
loving hell, three studs-up challenges, one of which drew blood, and only one free kick. Looks like Pep has fixed their disciplinary problems the same way he did in La Liga, with a brown envelope

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's a joke of a call.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

More poo poo refereeing.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Nice trailing leg there

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
west ham getting absolutely hosed against manchester teams this week

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
holy poo poo what a miss lmfao

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fucks sake, that's a bad miss.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Feghouli more like fuckpooly

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Fepooli???

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Fucks sake, that's a bad miss.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Holy Caballeros

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fagfooli?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Big Slav all "Why'd we pay for that appeal again?"

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

peanut- posted:

west ham getting absolutely hosed against manchester teams this week

I don't know what it is with us recently. The latter half of last season had reffing that cost us the CL and now we've got an infinite number of overturned red cards and dodgy pens

Also: gently caress you, Feghouli!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would've made that

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Shrapnig posted:

Fagfooli?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What in the world.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:jerry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Welp that's that then.

• Locked thread