Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Zore posted:

Dragon Age 2 had a ton of marketing and things before release?

Do you really not remember 'THIS IS THE NEW poo poo',"Button=awesome connection", several hour long deep dives and a demo about a month and a half out.

This was actually literally Dragon Age Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFSKkQRW8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"This is the new poo poo" was Dragon Age: Origins and it's my favourite piece of awful games marketing since Daikatana.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, if they released an Andromeda trailer of this calibre set to, I don't know, Papa Roach or One Step Closer by Linkin Park, I'd be satisfied.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Android Blues posted:

I mean, if they released an Andromeda trailer of this calibre set to, I don't know, Papa Roach or One Step Closer by Linkin Park, I'd be satisfied.

"Take my moneeeey,
I don't need that poo poo."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Nah man, the new trailer trend is real breathy altered tempo covers of classic rock songs. I'm betting EA has a Bob Dylan cover all queued up or something.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Dragon Age 2's marketing was exactly what put me off of the series indefinitely. In bioware's case not advertising something might give them better sales.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

god the pre-release dragon age 2 thread was so good

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
seems like Bioware in name only, the founders are gone, a good amount (most of?) of the original talent is gone, this is an EA company, hooray

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

This is basically what I think, too. I would like Andromeda to be a good Mass Effect game. But nothing that's been so far gives any indication that it's anything more than a very cynical attempt to continue the IP. There's no sense of innovation, really. When compared to other games in the genre, it seems like a slightly fancier ME3. It's nowhere near Witcher, yet obviously apes it. I don't like FO4 but I can point out that FO4 did some new things, like settlement building. It's why I liked the guy saying that FO4's marketing campaign was meaningless. It really wasn't! It made me sit up and take notice of a developer I'd written off.

I find it odd that a lot of Andromeda's pre-release marketing so far has been attached to other things. For example, the game awards show trailer and the Nvidia thing and the Sony thing.

I'm sure there's someone who could point out the difference in known information about Andromeda when compared to any other Bioware release, but I can't really be bothered. I feel safe in saying that we would usually know the entire party make up and some details on them, like a brief bio on each; a bunch of locations we might visit and some detail on them; a general idea of the antagonist; and more detail on new changes (for example, ME2 heavy weapons). poo poo, I'm pretty sure ME2 had the whole prologue and initial Cerberus base stuff detailed at this point.

A brief check tells me that ME 2 had those trailers for Jack and Thane like five months prior to release.

What is this game 'obviously aping' from The Witcher?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Android Blues posted:

"This is the new poo poo" was Dragon Age: Origins and it's my favourite piece of awful games marketing since Daikatana.

gently caress i forgot how terrible that was. my guess was that fantasy in video game(and media) wasn't depicted as "THIS HARDCORE" before or some poo poo so they just went with that. i mean at the time GOT was 2 years away and not many people had read the books(outside nerds). lovely marketing is lovely marketing.

nerdz posted:

To be fair, Dragon Age 2's marketing was exactly what put me off of the series indefinitely. In bioware's case not advertising something might give them better sales.

to be fair, DA has always been in my opinion(and others) the weaker of the bioware series, its always done by the B team and in my opinion is the only bioware series that has legit aggressively bad characters instead of at worst(mass effect/kotor/jade empire) kinda off forgettable ones.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BexGu posted:

No, Doom had marketing and hype but it was for dumbass multiplayer. It wasn't until the Nvida live demo when people realized "Oh poo poo, the SP is insanely fast and fun!".

But yes waiting until reviews is the best bet here. I'm tempted if there is some massive deal on pre-release that drops it to say $30 or so but other then that everyone only wins by playing the waiting game.

I didn't see poo poo about Doom besides a multiplayer Beta. Which like you said was trash. I saw a trailer or two but that was it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 6, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

What is this game 'obviously aping' from The Witcher?

The very little they show of the game shows an investigation section using a scanner for footprints that's pretty much witcher senses investigation. Even the dialogue uses the same structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4&t=126s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEm6es_ilo&t=165s

The FLAMETHROWE
R tech is also extremely reminiscent of the Igni sign in character animations, visual effects and mechanics (as explained on the menus). This one is reaching a bit, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4&t=248s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dYqPhctGh8&t=47s

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 6, 2017

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I was trying to decide whether to get this on PS4 or PC but I think I might have decided to not get it on either until it price drops???

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Witcher Sense is hardly a new innovation, people have been ripping off "see glowing stuff" vision since at least Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Hell, ME2 does the glowing stuff thing during Kasumi's loyalty mission and it pops up in Inquisition as well.

Its a pretty common part of the genre now.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

exquisite tea posted:

Witcher Sense is hardly a new innovation, people have been ripping off "see glowing stuff" vision since at least Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed 2.

Technically the 'press key to highlight interactive objects' idea goes back to Baldurs Gate / Icewind Dale and maybe even further.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You gotta remember that bioware started saying poo poo like this when developing inquisition:

quote:

It’s a fresh start a certain degree, I mean this is a franchise with a long pedigree, even though it’s only the third game, and draws upon Bioware’s history much more deeply than the Mass Effect series does. So that always comes with certain expectations, you can only push that so far.Skyrim changed the landscape for role-playing games completely. I mean Oblivion probably sold six million units, basically that range, Skyrim sold 20 million. So that, to some degree, changes everything.
Dragon Age Inquisition Skyrim RPG Difference

Now the expectations of your other fans, they’re changing too. People age, they typically have less time for games, so it changes their expectations in terms of gameplay segments. It also results in some nostalgia. so they may become even more firm in their attachment to previous features. Now suddenly you have 15 million people that have basically had the first RPG they’ve ever played as Skyrim. They have totally different expectations of what storytelling is, what exploration is, and I think exploration is really where we’ve seen the biggest change.

That's why the game is a snoozefest. I remember when people played Bioware games to avoid Bethesda games.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, "Detective Vision" was around long before Witcher 3.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
Personally I think the gameplay & levels look a lot better already than ME3... The rest is going to be up to how good/bad the characters are and if you get any fun dialogue options along the way

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nerdz posted:

The FLAMETHROWE
R tech is also extremely reminiscent of the Igni sign in character animations, visual effects and mechanics (as explained on the menus). This one is reaching a bit, though.

The MEA flamethrower is extremely reminiscent of the ME3 flamethrower. As in it's the exact same power with the exact same properties and evolutions.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Seemlar posted:

The MEA flamethrower is extremely reminiscent of the ME3 flamethrower. As in it's the exact same power with the exact same properties and evolutions.

Different evolutions actually. But it is basically the same.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

BexGu posted:

But yes waiting until reviews is the best bet here. I'm tempted if there is some massive deal on pre-release that drops it to say $30 or so but other then that everyone only wins by playing the waiting game.

I dont give two cents about any of those reviews, the best way to get an impression on new games nowadays seems to be Twitch, choose a streamer that doesnt annoy you who plays this game and go from there

AngryBooch posted:

This was actually literally Dragon Age Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFSKkQRW8A

and this is the jade empire trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpl4eKn3aY

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 6, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
well, here we go anyways:

https://gamerant.com/mass-effect-andromeda-longer-gameplay-videos/

quote:

A BioWare employee hints on Twitter that there will be longer gameplay demos of Mass Effect: Andromeda soon, while an insider suggests a marketing blitz is coming.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Not surprising really. I think EA has decided that gamers have no attention span so it's better to do a shorter marketing campaign. Especially if there were doubts about the release date

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Android Blues posted:

I mean, we have reason to believe that this was their last resort.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Not surprising really. I think EA has decided that gamers have no attention span so it's better to do a shorter marketing campaign. Especially if there were doubts about the release date

It's probably accurate. Most goons can't even remember anything about a game outside of which npc they want to gently caress and where it fits in their own personal fan fiction.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

nerdz posted:

The very little they show of the game shows an investigation section using a scanner for footprints that's pretty much witcher senses investigation. Even the dialogue uses the same structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4&t=126s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEm6es_ilo&t=165s

The FLAMETHROWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4&t=248s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dYqPhctGh8&t=47s

I'd say the Witcher senses one is also reaching since the Batman Arkham series was doing those investigation rooms before the Witcher iirc.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
No you don't get it, Witcher 3 was the Alpha and Omega of video games. It invented the medium for Christ's sake!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Seems to me marketing hype is only good for preorders; the people who wait until the game is released will decide whether to buy it based on reviews. Preorders used to be good for reserving your physical copy in the event of a supply shortage, but now in the age of digital distribution they are only useful for people who get hyped by marketing fluff and want to brag about their preorder exclusive in game pet/cloak/skin/crap.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Look at this hack garbage rip off game Devil May Cry trying to ape Witcher with a handsome white haired swordsman.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

Look at this hack garbage rip off game Devil May Cry trying to ape Witcher with a handsome white haired swordsman.

yeah even the combat is poo poo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
gently caress you think that's bad? I played Jade Empire and it had a threesome! Just ripping off the Witcher left and right.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Now I'm reminded of how good Jade Empire was. Wish they'd make another.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I miss infinite ammo huge handguns.

My heat bar capping out after three shots in a row of my ludicrous hand cannon was perfectly fine with me in ME1, because I knew I could use it as much as I wanted without worrying. Instead of not being able to go hog wild with my cool space magnums because every ammo upgrade and ammo fanny pack in the game is like, +8 ammo capacity and ammo pick ups don't even come with enough for a single reload.

I also would like Lift/Pull as just a biotic skill you can use without it being a consumable grenade, to make a comeback. Vanguard Charge gets all the hype, but playing duck hunt with fodder vindicated my psychic powers more than eventually unlocking black holes at the end of the skill tree.

At least if I read right, powers all have their own cooldowns again with no 'you just spell A! so now every other spell has a waiting period!'? So "gently caress this guy, I'm going to use every one of my engineer explosions on him in the span of two seconds" is back :unsmith:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 6, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Pull is one of the best talents.

Serf posted:

Haha, GOOD? You're drat right you're remembering it, because if you had played it recently you'd realize it's kind of a piece of poo poo. neat setting, though.

*by piece of poo poo I mean internet piece of poo poo, which means it's certainly okay-ish, but with some serious stereotypical Bioware Shades of Binary narrative flaws. Also the combat really kinda sucks. Legacy of Kain Soulreaver had better combat. KOTOR had better combat.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 6, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Drifter posted:

Haha, GOOD? You're drat right you're remembering it, because if you had played it recently you'd realize it's kind of a piece of poo poo. neat setting, though.

*by piece of poo poo I mean internet piece of poo poo, which means it's certainly okay-ish, but with some serious stereotypical Bioware Shades of Binary narrative flaws. Also the combat really kinda sucks. Legacy of Kain Soulreaver had better combat. KOTOR had better combat.

it is so easy to get mega-owned repeatedly at the beginning of Jade Empire

like even the trash mobs will gently caress you up if you're not on your game

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

Sorry, you mean Reave right?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I was always a little weirded out by the closed fist thing being a 50/50 shot of being Chinese kung-fu libertarianism or being Darth Vader.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

"Classic" moral choice systems are why for all it's many faults I was okay with the Paragon/Renegade system.

Open Palm Vs Closed Fist
Good: I'm going to tell this slave not to kill the slaver, because killing is wrong. Nevermind the trail of bodies I killed with my bare hands to say that.
Bad: So if civilians kill slavers, turns out they immediatly transform into axe murderers with a thirst for blood.

Star wars MMO land:
"Wait, wait.. Okay, It's DARKSIDE to give the stolen medical supplies back to the soldiers, and have them thank me for the fact that this save the lives of the wounded with their guts hanging out of them... And it's LIGHTSIDE, to let the people who stole medical supplies from dying soldiers keep them?"
"But this small nameless child said he has a tummy ache!"

Paragon Vs Renegade:
"I'm going to tell you to kill yourself/execute these brainwashed prisoners now. Would you like me nice about it, or call you a pussy?" The end goal of just trying to do your drat job saving the universe as the emphasis, was nice. Even if it was hardly perfect either, it made the stupid gently caress ups just a little bit less stupid.

Compared to "The rules of Vampire land mean if you accidentally kill a hobo twice, hand over your character sheet for the loss of humanity. Now, the rest of you go report back to hundreds year old vampire Joseph Stalin who remains perfectly functional." brand morality systems.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Serf posted:

What did you like?