Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bibendum posted:

the requirement for unmodified thinset complicates things a bit.

That is the worst part about Kerdi. But drat it goes up quick and works really, really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

H110Hawk posted:

Shower + bath inserts are totally a thing here, but are most commonly seen in rapid construction tract homes/condos. They give you only one point to seriously leak (the drain) and are incredibly easy to install if you have level surfaces. Or based on the condo we rented for a while, not level surfaces. It made loud creaking and popping noises if you stood in one section.

My shower tub creaks and pops like crazy frequently and loudly. I thought it was just because I was a fat rear end

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit: moved my question to the plumbing thread

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 8, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We got DIRT! We'll move some trees tomorrow!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Trees! The roots were still short from moving them last winter so it was hecka easier this time.

Japanese pine and a maple. There's another little tree (kuchinashi/cape jasmine) in a different corner of the yard.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I have a hallway closet that I'd like to replace with built-in drawers. Are there prefab units for this? I've googled on it but what I come up with are mostly closet organization systems, where what I'm imagining is a pre-built system of drawers that I can install in the rough opening of the ex-closet and put trim around.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I've got a weird one.

A year ago we bought a house, about 1400sq ft. It's a little post-war cape style that had a second floor added onto back in 2010 or so. I only give the background because of this:

we have two zones to our heat (upstairs and downstairs) but we have what looks like the bits to do....five zones? You can see that only two are hooked up, the others are capped off. I asked the house inspector about it and he shrugged and said "this whole thing *gestures* was way overbuilt. I have no idea why but it's not wrong and it's not bad" Can anyone think why the previous owners would build in 3 more zones of expansion?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

beep-beep car is go posted:

I've got a weird one.

A year ago we bought a house, about 1400sq ft. It's a little post-war cape style that had a second floor added onto back in 2010 or so. I only give the background because of this:

we have two zones to our heat (upstairs and downstairs) but we have what looks like the bits to do....five zones? You can see that only two are hooked up, the others are capped off. I asked the house inspector about it and he shrugged and said "this whole thing *gestures* was way overbuilt. I have no idea why but it's not wrong and it's not bad" Can anyone think why the previous owners would build in 3 more zones of expansion?

Adding those extra valves and pipes didn't cost all that much, and the manifold is ready if you wanted to split one of your zones into two or add another expansion onto the house. I betcha the contractor talked 'em into it.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Thanks! That makes sense. That leads to another question: The upstairs thermostat is in our bedroom, meaning when we're in there sleeping the room warms up and the rest of the upstairs gets cold. I want to move the thermostat into the hall, but I'm cheap. Do they make like a basestation that I can leave hooked into our room and get like a wireless t-stat sensor that I can stick somewhere else? Searching for wireless thermostats just gets me wifi ones that let me adjust the temperature from my phone.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, grab this remote sensor:
https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-C7189U1005-Indoor-Temperature-Thermostats/dp/B003UJYZDG?sa-no-redirect=1

Should work with this t-stat: https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-...ZCT87XJERR2SRA5

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Awesome! Thanks!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

This is great, thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mexican Radio posted:

I have a hallway closet that I'd like to replace with built-in drawers. Are there prefab units for this? I've googled on it but what I come up with are mostly closet organization systems, where what I'm imagining is a pre-built system of drawers that I can install in the rough opening of the ex-closet and put trim around.

Closets vary in size so I wouldn't expect an easy prefab, but you could embed a dresser/wardrobe with spacers, or build shelves/adjustable shelves inside that are good sizes to hold organizational baskets.

This is probably the best organized closet area in our house (closet w doors vs rail shelves) but it's hard to use the highest parts efficiently.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mexican Radio posted:

I pondered this for a minute. Could you measure the width of your opening and go to IKEA and find the organizer / bookshelf / chest of drawers that fits inside, and trim around it yourself?

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Thanks for the responses re: closet. I ended up just hiring a carpenter to build me something. I'll post some pictures when it's all done.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm p excited to see the finished creation!

We got a pallet of bricks yesterday.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

I'm p excited to see the finished creation!

We got a pallet of bricks yesterday.

The varying gaps on both sides would drive me *crazy*

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol we haven't straightened it out yet or put in sand to stabilize the gaps. A milk carton turned out to be p much a perfect size to check the square gaps. :peanut:

The top isn't perfectly flat either, of course. We're ~rustic~.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"'Rustic', here, being a term that means 'like tripping and falling over on our own walkway'." - Lemony Snicket

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dirtified, soiled, sand in the crannies. The outer stripes of bricks are just holding up the dirt holding up the walkway until we fill in the rest of the front yard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wait......you put those straight on dirt? And how exactly do you plan to retain the sides?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We followed diy guides and laid the bricks on sand over hard rocky dirt. It's so hard and so rocky :sadpeanut: The first layer of fill is a polymer sand/clay that hardens when it gets wet that's popular right now for filling in gaps and laying around corners where it's hard to mow.
The bricks will be level with the surrounding soil with grass on the right, and a small strip on grass on the left, then gravel and concrete parking spaces on the left.

If they get wonky, they're just bricks so we can pull it up one by one and add more filler. I hope!

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I like that pattern, I can see it looking really cool with some moss or ground cover filling it in.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

peanut posted:

We followed diy guides and laid the bricks on sand over hard rocky dirt. It's so hard and so rocky :sadpeanut: The first layer of fill is a polymer sand/clay that hardens when it gets wet that's popular right now for filling in gaps and laying around corners where it's hard to mow.
The bricks will be level with the surrounding soil with grass on the right, and a small strip on grass on the left, then gravel and concrete parking spaces on the left.

If they get wonky, they're just bricks so we can pull it up one by one and add more filler. I hope!

I sure hope you cleaned off the surface well after this picture, unless you want polymerized dirt superglued to your pavers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah the upper layer is regular dirt so it all got rubbed off well.

We poured a driveway today! It's amateur as heck but the 1 degree slope worked! Next time I pour a driveway I'll get a digger license first because that rocky soil was frustrating.

I eventually want to mortar it and put some cute tiles on the middle of the slabs (they will be covered when a car parks because they are slippery.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is this the place to talk about house pests? Because the wife and I are plagued with flies -- fruit flies, that is. We've bug bombed the house twice, used enough fly spray to ensure everyone in the family gets cancer, and I've killed them in dozens with the vacuum cleaner, but the little bastards keep coming back. We've tried fly traps, both the homemade apple cider vinegar type and the commercially available type, but they don't make enough of a dent in the fly population. Fly strips have worked, but there's still too many of them around. Does anyone out there have other fly fighting tips?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Selachian posted:

Is this the place to talk about house pests? Because the wife and I are plagued with flies -- fruit flies, that is. We've bug bombed the house twice, used enough fly spray to ensure everyone in the family gets cancer, and I've killed them in dozens with the vacuum cleaner, but the little bastards keep coming back. We've tried fly traps, both the homemade apple cider vinegar type and the commercially available type, but they don't make enough of a dent in the fly population. Fly strips have worked, but there's still too many of them around. Does anyone out there have other fly fighting tips?

Are you sure they are fruit flies? If so you may need to tear the place apart to find whatever they are living of off. I shared an apartment in college that had an infestation like that due to a jar of chutney that fell behind the fridge.

The other likely candidate is fungus gnats. They live in the overly moist soil of house plants. Smaller than actual fruit flies and super annoying.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We had some stupid little moths coming out of a tupperware of peanuts.
Find the source, destroy the colony.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Selachian posted:

Until you find their food attempting to kill them is pointless. It could be inside, outside, or in your neighbors unit. Once you do, a chunk of banana in a LARGE jar (we used a giant beer stein) with a cone coffee filter at the top with the bottom quarter inch cut off will trap them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yesterday I removed the mold boards and filled in the trenches with rocky soil. It's raining today so we can monitor for puddles. Then we'll add more dirt to adjust the slope in the trenches and finish with gravel on top.

Lol look how diy (rough af) those slabs are. It's non-slip!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Selachian posted:

I had this situation and it turned out I had a water leak inside the wall and under the counters. I guess they were living off rotting wood.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

so how is the fly situation did you find the source :ohdear:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Is your house on top of an Indian burial mound? This is always important to check, and often overlooked by inspectors.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Selachian posted:

If you've got lots of house plants, they could be soil gnats, which look identical to fruit flies to me. If the soil is kept too wet, they love laying eggs there and you'll get a non-stop stream of the annoying things. Usually clears up if you cut back on watering, or put something like sand or fine gravel on top of the soil.

We found that stuff like larger river rocks on top of the soil actually made it worse, since the gnats could still get to the dirt through the gaps in the rocks, and the rocks kept the topsoil from ever drying out. Once we got rid of all the rocks and made sure it was mostly dry before watering each time, they went away.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

peanut posted:

so how is the fly situation did you find the source :ohdear:

Still hunting. I thought it might be the kitchen drains, so I treated them with bacterial digester. Also ordered a kitchen trash can with a tighter-fitting lid. Wife wants to check the pan under the fridge.

I haven't seen any signs of a wall leak. And we don't have a lot of house plants, so I don't think that's the source.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Selachian posted:

Still hunting. I thought it might be the kitchen drains, so I treated them with bacterial digester. Also ordered a kitchen trash can with a tighter-fitting lid. Wife wants to check the pan under the fridge.

I haven't seen any signs of a wall leak. And we don't have a lot of house plants, so I don't think that's the source.

Do you have a bathroom with a tub/shower that is mostly unused? I had a problem one summer with flies/gnats breeding in my guest bath drain, since it was used less than a couple times a year, and ended up taping over it when it's not in use.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Do you have a bathroom with a tub/shower that is mostly unused? I had a problem one summer with flies/gnats breeding in my guest bath drain, since it was used less than a couple times a year, and ended up taping over it when it's not in use.

We do, actually, but it's upstairs and there aren't many flies around there. They're thickest in the kitchen, so I figure it must be something in there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Flies update please!

We're starting our lawn soon. My husband has never had a lawn before, I think he's going to sperg and interfere too much instead of just watching the grass grow.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

peanut posted:

We're starting our lawn soon. My husband has never had a lawn before, I think he's going to sperg and interfere too much instead of just watching the grass grow.

It's a parenting analogy!

Grass all depends on where you live. Live in the rural Nebraska countryside, your grass is growing in the near-equivalent of potting soil and you don't need to do anything but weed treatment. Live in the rocky foothills of a mountain range, you're going to have to work hard to get a picture perfect lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

baquerd posted:

It's a parenting analogy!

This. I had a kid, and now I am suddenly obsessed with lawn care and wood-working.