Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I just got Spain is the emperor as a giant blobbing Spain. Is there any reason to not add a shitload of provinces to the hre?

Mister Adequate posted:

yea, hre delenda est
mos def but I did that last game already

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

awesmoe posted:

I just got Spain is the emperor as a giant blobbing Spain. Is there any reason to not add a shitload of provinces to the hre?

yea, hre delenda est

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

awesmoe posted:

Nope, in fact that is probably the only way to ever get enough AE to pass all the reforms unless you're insanely aggressive about enforcing religion and splitting up HRE minors.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just remember you lose all your imperial authority when you pass a reform (which takes around 50-70 AI). Don't go higher than that while adding land.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Well my Sweden game didn't exactly go down in flames but I hit my first major snag and it's still early enough that I'm thinking I might start over with the lessons I learned.

I managed to bounce back from my independence war with Denmark pretty fast and soon had a pretty decent cash flow in addition to an army and navy that was bigger than the combined force of both Denmark and Norway. However, the Knights Templar were dominating the Baltic Sea trade node, and even with my giant light ship fleet, I was at something like half of their trade power. I figured that taking at least Danzig would solve that problem, and their allies were nothing special so I figured that would be my highest priority. However I had a real problem in that my truce with Denmark had ended and I was pretty sure I'd get stabbed in the back the moment my forces were off stealing Danzig.

So, I figured before I worked on the Knights Templar, I had to cut the legs out from under Denmark.

I parked my fleet at Sjaelland , declared war with him, and took out his fleet in short order. He had a stack of 15k troops there, but with my controlling the ocean there, I figured I could deal with them at my leisure.

With that done, I turned my attention to Norway and smashed their army which I outnumbered like 4:1. Things were going well at this point, and I split my army in half to help capture Norway's provinces faster and help cut down on the attrition I'd be taking in their underdeveloped regions. This is where things started to fall apart. Seemingly out of nowhere, Norway conjured a stack of about 6k troops and started going around liberating / capturing territories. I decided to break off one of my armies to go smash them, but I couldn't seem to quite stack wipe them in any engagement I was in. This led to a Benny Hill style chase across Scandinavia, with the plucky Norwegian stack managing to steal a province (and I could be mistaken, but I swear they were instantly capturing some of my lovely Finland provinces) and get out of dodge before my army could catch them, or get beaten in a fight but running to live another day. This causes me to just haemorrhage manpower, but even though it's caused my warscore to dip into the negative I still feel that if I can totally subjugate Norway, I can give my armies a break, recover some manpower, then go deal with Denmark.

It would have worked too except I suddenly get a message that Skane just fell. I look down to see Denmark's 15k stack has somehow evaded my blockade and is now happily liberating my southern provinces from me. To make things worse, Norway gets not one but two stacks of rebels that completely cut off one of my armies, so I'm now left to face 15k Danish soldiers with my 12k. I give it a shot to see if I get lucky, and sure enough, I did not. At this point, it looks like I'm going to lose the war and while it's not over yet, I'm guessing at a minimum, Denmark is going to be taking back the provinces I stole from it.

So here's what I think I learned from this:

-I probably didn't need to go to war with Denmark. Because allies are a lot more likely to come help in a defensive war, Denmark would have had England and Lithuania jumping on it if they attacked me, so I'm guessing the odds of them stabbing me in the back were actually pretty low.
-Next time I play Sweden, I should probably focus on working my war around the Baltic, probably starting with stealing Neva from Novogrod before the Levonian order or Muscovy get it. After that, I should be able to plow through both the Levonina order and KT to basically dominate the Baltic Sea node and become mega-righ.

Here's what I don't understand:

-How do I keep a country from doing what Norway did to me? Should I just keep crushing their armies with my full force until they're bled dry of manpower?
-How did Denmark get its troops over to me? My understanding if that if you have a blockade in an area, enemy units can't cross straits. Am I missing something?

I think I'm going to play with Spain next, should be a bit easier and will let me play with colonies.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

uPen posted:

Do you ever trigger the Kingdom of God? It always seems to me that the Curia bonuses are more valuable.

Pretty sure the pope can't even get most of the Curia bonuses, except for Papal Controller, and even that is a crapshoot. Crusade isn't very useful in most situations, though excommunication is pretty cool if you want to gently caress with someone.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Silvergun1000 posted:

Here's what I don't understand:

-How do I keep a country from doing what Norway did to me? Should I just keep crushing their armies with my full force until they're bled dry of manpower?
-How did Denmark get its troops over to me? My understanding if that if you have a blockade in an area, enemy units can't cross straits. Am I missing something?

I think I'm going to play with Spain next, should be a bit easier and will let me play with colonies.

Best way to deal with Norway is to block them off at choke-points and slowly move in on them. With the new wasteland you should be able to come in from the north and the south and slowly siege them down one by one. I'd wait until their army was out of the mountains to attack, so waiting for them to come out is kind of viable. Hard to smash them in the mountains.

You owned Skane? If you own (this can mean you own a province and have sieged an enemy province on the other side) both sides of the strait then you ignore blockades. Other than that it's kind of a mystery unless they had a fleet outside the Sjaelland area there and just went around.

As Sweden you probably want to try and ally Poland at first, and go for Novgorod (just so Muscovy doesn't eat them all and get that much stronger), maybe punch Muscovy in the bum. After that take on Denmark. If you own Skane and can take their fleets then you shouldn't have trouble, but obviously some wires got crossed in your game.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Even if they take their cores back, you'll be fine. Don't restart yet.

Denmark either killed your navy while you weren't looking (their navy plus norway's is more than likely bigger than yours), or used transports to get around. I'd say the first is much more likely.

You should have either ignored Norway's new army and sieged their forts, or committed enough troops to stack wipe them. I'd go with ignoring them personally. Unforted provinces basically don't matter for warscore and can be sieged back from Norway in a month.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's incredible annoying when you're trying to siege down a tough enemy and suddenly you get hit by massive rebel armies in their lands which somehow manage to be much larger than their regular army. On one hand I'm glad rebels don't drain manpower when spawning but on the other, where are they coming from? Who are they? Getting stackwiped because my siege was hit by a 30k+ stack out of nowhere is so frustrating it fills my mouth with salt. :argh:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Most likely Denmark controlled both Skane and Sjaelland, which allows them to cross despite your fleet. If you control both sides of a crossing you can ignore blockades. For example the Ottomans can freely move across the Bosporus even if it's blockaded.

Norway is an annoying gently caress, they will do exactly as described and fart tiny armies across your long border to occupy provinces. But, they're just a nuisance and you should focus on sieging forts and beating Denmark. Norway occupying a bunch of your lovely northern provinces isn't a big deal.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Re: Non-European starts

Man I guess my issue is getting past the pain that is the non-European tech malus and the loving pain of Westernization, particularly given you still end up with lovely military units regardless.

It just frustrates me, especially when I know I'm going to have to end up fighting Europeans.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZombieLenin posted:

Re: Non-European starts

Man I guess my issue is getting past the pain that is the non-European tech malus and the loving pain of Westernization, particularly given you still end up with lovely military units regardless.

It just frustrates me, especially when I know I'm going to have to end up fighting Europeans.
Uhh..
  • There is no more non-European tech malus. Institutions contribute the same sort of effect, but that's entirely manageable, and it's possible to even spawn some of them away from Europe.
  • Westernization doesn't exist anymore either.
  • Non-European units aren't strictly worse than European ones, and haven't been in quite a while. European units have a slight edge near the end of the timeline, but are also very lovely at the beginning.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Senor Dog posted:

Even if they take their cores back, you'll be fine. Don't restart yet.

Denmark either killed your navy while you weren't looking (their navy plus norway's is more than likely bigger than yours), or used transports to get around. I'd say the first is much more likely.

You should have either ignored Norway's new army and sieged their forts, or committed enough troops to stack wipe them. I'd go with ignoring them personally. Unforted provinces basically don't matter for warscore and can be sieged back from Norway in a month.

Yeah, that's the weird part, as far as I can tell neither one of those are the case. Here's what the current situation looks like:

At this point I've wiped out all of Denmark and Norway's fleets other than the one harbored in Sjaelland, and 3 light ships that are just to the north. Sjaelland is blockaded and I own(ed) Skane so they shouldn't have been able to walk across, and they only have 8 transports according to the ledger, all of which are in that harbored fleet.

Good point on Norway, I'll try that next time I fight them.

EDIT: Not sure why the image isn't showing up, here's a link: http://imgur.com/a/pNVSF

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

PittTheElder posted:

Uhh..
  • There is no more non-European tech malus. Institutions contribute the same sort of effect, but that's entirely manageable, and it's possible to even spawn some of them away from Europe.
  • Westernization doesn't exist anymore either.
  • Non-European units aren't strictly worse than European ones, and haven't been in quite a while. European units have a slight edge near the end of the timeline, but are also very lovely at the beginning.

It's clearly been awhile since I launched the game. I've been trying to talk myself into it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ZombieLenin posted:

It's clearly been awhile since I launched the game. I've been trying to talk myself into it.

You should probably read the wiki page on institutions before you do, they're a pretty important thing to have a good handle on

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You really ought to give it a try. With the way the new system works, you can potentially force the western nations to play catch up to you.

Case in point:

Fister Roboto posted:

Another great thing about institutions:

I could theoretically make Castille a protectorate right now.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fister Roboto posted:

You really ought to give it a try. With the way the new system works, you can potentially force the western nations to play catch up to you.

Case in point:

The Institutions update was a great day for Korean nationalists, that's for sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Case in point:

How'd you change the fonts (to the ones used in Stellaris)?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PittTheElder posted:

How'd you change the fonts (to the ones used in Stellaris)?

arumba has a mod for the stellaris fonts on the workshop

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Silvergun1000 posted:

This is where forts come in handy. It's totally fine to delete forts deep within your territory because they just cost money and probably won't protect anything but it's worth keeping forts that are at your frontiers. The warscore you lose from having a bunch of provinces is nothing, especially if a Fort is blocking them from holding onto those provinces or preventing them from moving deeper into your territory without being held up for like half a year.

Basically if they're a tiny stack going around backcapping provinces behind you, ignore them unless they can actually siege down forts. Just get in there, take out all the forts you can on the way to their capital and when you capture their capital you can seperate peace them out real quick and they'll stop bugging you. You might even snag a province or two in the peace deal!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Don't build forts to stop tiny stacks like that, or at least be aware that it's not the right move. For the cost of maintaining that fort you could just have 5 infantry running around capping it all back. Annoying as gently caress, but such is the current meta.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Don't build forts to stop tiny stacks like that, or at least be aware that it's not the right move. For the cost of maintaining that fort you could just have 5 infantry running around capping it all back. Annoying as gently caress, but such is the current meta.

If only the "auto defend against rebels" button was "auto defend territory".

Or you know, forts weren't stupidly expensive.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Elman posted:

If only the "auto defend against rebels" button was "auto defend territory".

Or you know, forts weren't stupidly expensive.

I don't know if this changed recently, but I noticed for the first time in my current game that while at war you get charged monthly upkeep for any enemy forts you occupy, as if having to pay a gigantic amount to keep all your own forts up while at war wasn't annoying enough.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wish to siege a fort you had to deploy the army to do so, and if you did, you sieged faster. While in siege mode your army is vulnerable to other armies. If it were done that way, I would then wish forts would be cheaper to maintain, and not considered "obsolete" if not the largest possible variety, so you could have smaller anti-annoying-two-stack forts, and then other big gently caress-off spend-a-season-sieging-with-a-large-any forts.

The big fuckoff forts would be hella expensive in some form with the idea of being few and far between, while the smaller forts could be in mountains and poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quorum posted:

The Institutions update was a great day for Korean nationalists, that's for sure.

1.18 was really good for Ethiopia in a number of ways but really it was Institutions that I feel was the best. Now you start off without any tech malus and it's relatively easy to keep up with institutions despite your provinces all costing more to develop than most places.

Institutions made playing a non-Western power better than ever

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, playing as Japan now and it's not bad at all. I can usually develop a province as soon as an institution pops and keep tech parity (and also slam dunk on everyone in Asia except Korea.)

One annoying thing though: as soon as the Dutch or Portuguese discover you, you get a modifier that reduces missionary strength by 5% and events that randomly flip provinces to Catholic until you close off your borders, which reduces (amongst other things) institution spread by 15%. While it's clearly meant to push the Christians in the Sengoku era angle, it's really jarring when you're playing an imperialistic, united Japan and are mid-converting some Buddhists in South-East Asia and suddenly your missionaries stop working forever.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, playing as Japan now and it's not bad at all. I can usually develop a province as soon as an institution pops and keep tech parity (and also slam dunk on everyone in Asia except Korea.)

One annoying thing though: as soon as the Dutch or Portuguese discover you, you get a modifier that reduces missionary strength by 5% and events that randomly flip provinces to Catholic until you close off your borders, which reduces (amongst other things) institution spread by 15%. While it's clearly meant to push the Christians in the Sengoku era angle, it's really jarring when you're playing an imperialistic, united Japan and are mid-converting some Buddhists in South-East Asia and suddenly your missionaries stop working forever.

Every time I think of EU4 Japan, this springs to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o&t=3m2s

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wait, is Japan less broken than it has been? Last time I played the daimyo system didn't work at all, AI daimyos would consistently declare war for the emperor when they had no chance of winning and get stomped, or else declare wars they had ever chance of winning, get to 100%, and then white peace out.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

skasion posted:

Wait, is Japan less broken than it has been? Last time I played the daimyo system didn't work at all, AI daimyos would consistently declare war for the emperor when they had no chance of winning and get stomped, or else declare wars they had ever chance of winning, get to 100%, and then white peace out.

This still happens. The trick is to either use these wars as breathers and let the AI kill itself on the emperor (unless you're with the aggressors, in which case, have fun!) or to break the system by instantly attacking your targets on december 1444, killing everything you can, and instantly declaring on the emperor with your hapless AI allies who can't refuse this call to arms. Then you force independence for yourself + as many other daimyos.

Basically, you need to be fast and nuke the whole daimyo system ASAP.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Another quality of life feature that I've forgotten: how can you check if you can core a province or not? Ie, if its within range.

I was about to get the achievement for owning all institution home provinces but then Ming decides to get all enlightened on us westerners :mad:.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Based on the wording, Colonialism will not spread to you if you have Australia as a colony, right? Only in the Americas?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Based on the wording, Colonialism will not spread to you if you have Australia as a colony, right? Only in the Americas?

You don't need a colony, just to have discovered North or South America. Australia doesn't count.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

You don't need a colony, just to have discovered North or South America. Australia doesn't count.
I want the existing institution to spread to me, which requires a colonial nation in the new world, and not Australia?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I want the existing institution to spread to me, which requires a colonial nation in the new world, and not Australia?

Sorry, was on my phone and misread your post. I am slow. I'm honestly not sure about that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there a way to inch the slider closer towards using my great power status to break up an alliance? Making myself stronger, them weaker, or raising my diplomatic reputation isn't very easy at this point.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Node posted:

Another quality of life feature that I've forgotten: how can you check if you can core a province or not? Ie, if its within range.

Colonial range mapmode. Coring range is equal to colonisation range.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Node posted:

Is there a way to inch the slider closer towards using my great power status to break up an alliance? Making myself stronger, them weaker, or raising my diplomatic reputation isn't very easy at this point.

Having a casus belli helps.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

Get a CB, use Influence Nation to build trust.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Allyn posted:

Colonial range mapmode. Coring range is equal to colonisation range.

That was it, thanks.

PittTheElder posted:

Get a CB, use Influence Nation to build trust.

Influence Nation builds trust! Hot drat that is going to be handy. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I wanted to have a go at the Sun god achievement so started a game as Cusco. For some reasons their gold mine and the other 3 I've taken all seem to produce way less money than usual? Like a 9 dev gold mine province is producing 0.60 production income. What's the deal with that? Still seem to get the full inflation penalty which makes them pretty poor.

• Locked thread