Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New roadkill and it is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdpJKpxGNQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My pay was locked at 9.60/hr since 2006, now it's locked at 10.75/hr until SEP 2017.

Thanks, Arizona!

Jesus Christ dude. You're way too clever to be working for that pittance.

In related news, I'm in the power utility business, and we got a new HR director about 1.5 years ago, and she dropped starting pay to barely above minimum wage (I started at $10/hr, 10 years ago).

There has been quite a few rumblings about it and the crew leaders who spoke up were shot down. Well, we've also been trying to get some new linemen hired because we're grossly understaffed especially considering how long training takes and the number of upcoming retirees we have. Anyhow, they finally ok'ed 2 new hires, did interviews, called them back to inform they were hired...and BOTH guys turned the job down with stated reason that pay rate was too low. LOL.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
You're right!

Wasn't expecting a Roadkill episode just a week after the MCM/Roadkill extravaganza, what a treat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I didn't really like the MCM/RK videos, but mostly cause I guess I don't like MCM?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

My pay was locked at 9.60/hr since 2006, now it's locked at 10.75/hr until SEP 2017.

Thanks, Arizona!

What level are you? If you can tolerate living in the frozen north Primary Care Paramedics in my city start at 50k and go to 81k after 4 years, before OT. And that's on the lower end of the payscale in the country.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

I didn't really like the MCM/RK videos, but mostly cause I guess I don't like MCM?

It's definitely an acquired taste. Same for RCR.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
EMT B. Gonna work on nursing I think. ASN pay is around 60k, BSN 71k. Allegedly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I ended a 10 year career makin 22bux an hour fixing scooter cars until i self immolated from office politics.

Politics is the reason I got out of motorsports photography, and is the reason I will probably never make more than $16 hr tbh.

Only reason I've had the job I have now for six years is because i work at night when everyone else is at home :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

Yikes, dude. Isn't the CAD weak right now, making that $16 actually $12? For reference, the last in-n-out I was at had a sign on the door indicating that they were hiring burger flippers starting at $14 an hour. I'd bet your housing costs are significantly lower than ours are, though :v:

That said, I'm also trying to get into chip design. While there are plenty of job opportunities here, there are probably 100 applicants per position, so it's not easy.

If you've got that experience, I'd think your lack of degree wouldn't matter. Most of the job postings I've seen have said something like "degree or equivalent experience."

Yeah, but most of my experience is with Tanner L-Edit, not Cadence. I also don't know TCL/TK and can't write code to generate digital circuits.

Now, if you want to convert between verilog and cif formats, I wrote a script that can do it.

E: I might also still be under a non-compete.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I think their older videos were a lot more relatable, back when they were doing real back yard stuff and painting with rattle cans. Nowadays its more "here's our car, here's our free high-end ECU with free dyno tuning, here's our free performance tires, here's our full custom exhaust system and now here's Marty doing a full pro paint job" every time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

I think their older videos were a lot more relatable, back when they were doing real back yard stuff and painting with rattle cans. Nowadays its more "here's our car, here's our free high-end ECU with free dyno tuning, here's our free performance tires, here's our full custom exhaust system and now here's Marty doing a full pro paint job" every time.

Making them the perfect people to do a crossover episode with Roadkill, who started out with "let's fly to Texas, buy a random car, and drive it on route 66 back to LA" but now seem to lean more toward "we spent way too much for a muscle car rolling chassis, and now we'll drop in this crate motor thanks to our friends at Dodge"

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

EMT B. Gonna work on nursing I think. ASN pay is around 60k, BSN 71k. Allegedly.

One of my wife's aunts is a nurse of some variety, I think an RN. Maybe an LPN, but I'm pretty sure it's an RN. Anyway, she does care planning for a nursing home that's sort of upscale. It seems like a sweet gig if you know what you're doing. I've never heard her complain about it at all and the pay seems nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks, Arizona!

Christ! Nothing like paying the people who MIGHT SAVE YOUR LIFE peanuts...

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm back in college for a degree in robotics engineering, cause I want to build loving cylons...or toasters.

That actually sounds interesting. That may be something that my IT experience can have some bearing on. I need to do the mechanical/electrical side, though. I discovered when I was a EE major that I no longer liked programming.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Y'all, it's snowing right now here in Dallas.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

New sockets arrived! 5 minutes after I shut the hood and did my first startup. Now I just have to figure out how to let the trans relearn procedure proceed faster. Its shifting so hard, Its chirping the tires going into second.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

Give in to the darkness. Enjoy the fact that each and every one of your sales people treat the speech in Glengarry Glen Ross as a personal mantra. It pays better that way.

I wasn't sure which speech you were talking about so I had to look it up. Yup, thats exactly what most of the sales guys are like that I work with.

The Locator posted:

I hate sales and could never do it for a living. Tried it, sucked at it, and hated it.

Thankfully its not my job to sell anyone anything. Its my job to be the technical guy on the calls, the sales guys do the selling. When it comes down to it, as much as I hate being on the sales side, not having an oncall rotation and getting quarterly bonuses makes it worth while. The downside is having to go and work tradeshows which is god loving awful. AWS re:invent this year was terrible.

Mostly I only moved into this role to get away from the systems engineering/devops work I have been doing for the last few years. I enjoy the work, but I kept ending up being the go to guy to fix everything, so guess who got woken up in the middle of the night. I want to work my way up into more of a management level, and my good friend/mentor suggested I go this route. I just don't want to end still being oncall in another 10 years.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Christ! Nothing like paying the people who MIGHT SAVE YOUR LIFE peanuts...

But you see we can't raise wages because burger flippers and my dollar menu... :words:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

But you see we can't raise wages because burger flippers and my dollar menu... :words:

I hear this from OTHER EMTS AND MEDICS

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, gently caress 2017 too I guess. Friend of mine died in an avalanche yesterday.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, hey, some rear end in a top hat just shot up Fort Lauderdale airport. Way to go Florida Man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Oh, hey, some rear end in a top hat just shot up Fort Lauderdale airport. Way to go Florida Man.

Where is Stand Your Ground when you need it? Oh, too busy targeting the kid walking down the street.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Previa_fun posted:

Bariatric flippers deserve an extra quarter sonny

:bahgawd:

edit: bariatric flippers :rimshot:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 6, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Someone posted on my facebook earlier re the shooting and I think they summed it up well: At this point I'm not even surprised or sad, it's just an annoyed feeling of "Oh, again?"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I deactivated my facebook account a few weeks ago. Can still use messenger, which I still do and is nice. Feels good man.

My fb app was on the 2nd home screen on my phone and for days afterward I would constantly try to open it. Just wasted so much time checking my feed and then feeling bad about myself because anyone only ever posts good things.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 6, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Where is Stand Your Ground when you need it? Oh, too busy targeting the kid walking down the street.

Well, since Florida forbids carrying in any part of an airport, Stand Your Ground was probably pretty tough.

https://www.floridacarry.org/issues/concealed-and-unconcealed-carry/40-airport-carry-is-legal-in-44-states-but-florida-will-put-you-in-jail

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

A witness told MSNBC that the gunman was a "slender man' who was wearing a Star Wars T-shirt.
:argh: slenderman!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Apparently dude had a military ID also?

At least so far he wasn't a Muslim dude this time. Shot up a bunch of old people.

And he's from jersey, so yay not Florida man.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cage posted:

I deactivated my facebook account a few weeks ago. Can still use messenger, which I still do and is nice. Feels good man.

My fb app was on the 2nd home screen on my phone and for days afterward I would constantly try to open it. Just wasted so much time checking my feed and then feeling bad about myself because anyone only ever posts good things.

I deactivated mine almost a year ago, and now I stay very caught up on AI.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I need to start buying groceries through Amazon or something.

The Target stores in my area are looking more and more like K-Mart - big empty chunks where the stuff I want to buy is missing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Dude brought a gun from Canada to shoot people in FL.

That's gotta be a first.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Cage posted:

I envy you. I manage several small companies SM presence and it takes up way to much of my life. I'm trying to move away from it, except for a scheduled time once a day to deal with trolls/updates/ect. Otherwise it straight up became too depressing, wasting time watching other people do stuff when I should be work on my own awesome projects. Short version: gently caress Facebook.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the spyder posted:

I envy you. I manage several small companies SM presence and it takes up way to much of my life. I'm trying to move away from it, except for a scheduled time once a day to deal with trolls/updates/ect. Otherwise it straight up became too depressing, wasting time watching other people do stuff when I should be work on my own awesome projects. Short version: gently caress Facebook.

For the last year or so I've pretty much only had a Facebook account so my wife can tag me in photos. It feels amazing, I highly recommend it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Three-Phase posted:

I need to start buying groceries through Amazon or something.

The Target stores in my area are looking more and more like K-Mart - big empty chunks where the stuff I want to buy is missing.

Grocery stores being out of normal things is super irritating. Target is out of stock on the diapers we get for my kid all the time. It is like "WTF people? How are you out of this?"

Looking for options to ship a vehicle. What is the Goon Suggested TM service? This place seems pretty straightforward from a cursory Google search: https://www.autotransportdirect.com/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This makes me feel real good for you, good luck with your date.

Speaking of robotics I quickly gave up trying to get my ancient lego RCX robot controller working again and I've ordered an arduino and some breakout boards, I need to get something working before my kids lego ability catches up :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

This makes me feel real good for you, good luck with your date.

Speaking of robotics I quickly gave up trying to get my ancient lego RCX robot controller working again and I've ordered an arduino and some breakout boards, I need to get something working before my kids lego ability catches up :v:

Yeah don't bother with the stock lego controllers. at minimum arduino + whatever sensors/drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJOGc32gXE
^my final for the semester.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Arduinos and ESP8266, I love microcontrollers.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm happy I'm going to get a visit from 14:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slurry_curry posted:

I wasn't sure which speech you were talking about so I had to look it up. Yup, thats exactly what most of the sales guys are like that I work with.

Thankfully its not my job to sell anyone anything. Its my job to be the technical guy on the calls, the sales guys do the selling. When it comes down to it, as much as I hate being on the sales side, not having an oncall rotation and getting quarterly bonuses makes it worth while. The downside is having to go and work tradeshows which is god loving awful. AWS re:invent this year was terrible.

Just smile, laugh, and do your best to keep sales honest and operations happy, without losing the deal. No problem!

Tradeshows suck, no way around that, but it beats the gently caress out of oncall.

I hear this from OTHER EMTS AND MEDICS

The most vocal person I know on this topic works in a hospital, so I believe this. There seems to be some pervasive idea that making entry-level jobs pay a livable wage will convince people to not go to school and learn how to do better jobs... which apparently pay fuckall more. No room for the idea that "both you and the burger flipper are underpaid by different amounts for different reasons".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

The most vocal person I know on this topic works in a hospital, so I believe this. There seems to be some pervasive idea that making entry-level jobs pay a livable wage will convince people to not go to school and learn how to do better jobs... which apparently pay fuckall more. No room for the idea that "both you and the burger flipper are underpaid by different amounts for different reasons".

If EMTs and Nurses want to get paid, they might want to ensure that people making minimum wage can afford medical care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CommieGIR posted:

If EMTs and Nurses want to get paid, they might want to ensure that people making minimum wage can afford medical care.

And how exactly do you propose that EMTs and Nurses do this?

:colbert:

BTW - that was just about the most CommieGIR post CommieGIR has ever made.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread