Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

If one of your spies gets captured by a civ, and you then wipe out that AI, you never get the option to trade for their freedom but they aren't freed either, and you can't build a replacement. The spy screen just says "captured by so-and-so" even though that civ doesn't exist any more. I can't decide if this is more amusing or aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So if I'm going for a wonder and someone else gets it before me, do I keep the production points to use toward something else or did I just waste 20 turns?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Niwrad posted:

So if I'm going for a wonder and someone else gets it before me, do I keep the production points to use toward something else or did I just waste 20 turns?

in the current iteration, you just eat it. i sort of like it, it makes wonders a real risk/reward proposition

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Zero_Grade posted:

If one of your spies gets captured by a civ, and you then wipe out that AI, you never get the option to trade for their freedom but they aren't freed either, and you can't build a replacement. The spy screen just says "captured by so-and-so" even though that civ doesn't exist any more. I can't decide if this is more amusing or aggravating.

The spy system in this game is probably the worst part about it to me. It is such a pain in the rear end to manage that I tend to ignore it as much as I can but then some rear end in a top hat will blow up an industrial zone and now I need counterspys in all of those and that's just more bullshit to fiddle with every 8 rounds or so when all I want is to set them all to counterspy forever.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Suggestions on game/map settings so that the lategame doesn't become a slog?

How is Online speed in single player? Hilariously unbalanced?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

alcaras posted:

Suggestions on game/map settings so that the lategame doesn't become a slog?

How is Online speed in single player? Hilariously unbalanced?

Some things are hosed based on game speed. Take AI agendas, for example. Cleopatra hates you for having a small army. Trajan hates you for having a small empire. You meet them, and they wait ten turns before they complain at you, presumably to give you time to do something about your small army or empire.

However, it's ten turns on any game speed. Ten turns in an online-speed game is a heck of a lot longer than it is in a marathon-speed game.

There's a guy who has made a mod to resolve some of this stuff (in addition to the hilarious oversight of a Paranoid Cleopatra who hates you for having a small army because she's Cleopatra, and then when you build it up she hates you because she's paranoid about your large army) by increasing the ten turns you have to deal with someone's agenda to thirty turns.

It feels a bit like rearranging deck-chairs on the Titanic though, the AI seems to turn hostile to me regardless of whether I satisfy their agenda or not.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

JVNO posted:

I nearly always get this one, and if you scout effectively it should almost be automatic (unless you're on an island continent).

With the non stop barbarian attacks early on, I never seem to be able to scout effectively in the early game. Any units I have are either fighting barbarians or moving towards them or moving towards their strongholds.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Orange Sunshine posted:

With the non stop barbarian attacks early on, I never seem to be able to scout effectively in the early game. Any units I have are either fighting barbarians or moving towards them or moving towards their strongholds.

Do you start every game building three slingers which you will upgrade to archers at the earliest opportunity because if not you should

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Orange Sunshine posted:

I'm keen on the early barbarian hordes and have always played with raging barbarians in the past. It gives you something to do and a reason to army up even if you're not in some international conflict. It's a fun change.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I haven't played since before the winter patch. It seems they didn't address everything taking too drat long to produce except for wonders.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
How do you set WASD to control the camera? I tried doing the ini file tweak but it doesn't stick in game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Failboattootoot posted:

The spy system in this game is probably the worst part about it to me. It is such a pain in the rear end to manage that I tend to ignore it as much as I can but then some rear end in a top hat will blow up an industrial zone and now I need counterspys in all of those and that's just more bullshit to fiddle with every 8 rounds or so when all I want is to set them all to counterspy forever.

:same: it's almost always some cocksucker nation who you can steamroll too and you have no causus belli for "we caught you spying... again"

At least in V the other AIs understood if you leveled a civilization when they were caught spying.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
In my current game, going for a culture victory, I'm up to year 1700 or so, with 5 cities protected by 4 archers and a warrior.

And somehow I'm in 2nd place for a domination victory. I assume the AI is so impressed by my mighty walls that they're overlooking my complete lack of a military.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There is a bug in the AI. They pretty much won't attack a city with walls.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

JetsGuy posted:

Was it civ 4 where the AI would literally say -6 you're trying to win the way we want to win?

Actually that was great in civ4. At some point the AIs that weren't allied with you would never ally with you and would actively try to win/sabotage you, Cold War style.

Your ally's would naturally and expectedly hate your enemies. Civ4 was great.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Actually that was great in civ4. At some point the AIs that weren't allied with you would never ally with you and would actively try to win/sabotage you, Cold War style.

Your ally's would naturally and expectedly hate your enemies. Civ4 was great.

If I said or implied that was bad I shouldn't have. It was dumb but at least more honest going "video board game" than "I hate you forever because you built Stonehenge and as such you were -3 with me for a millennia and there's no way to make that up. Allahu Akbar."

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When going for a culture victory, you win via having the most tourism. Trade routes and open borders in other civs add substantially to tourism. Is there any point to having trade routes and open borders all along the way, or are they only of value at the very end when you're close to actually achieving the victory?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

CascadeBeta posted:

How do you set WASD to control the camera? I tried doing the ini file tweak but it doesn't stick in game.

https://github.com/chaorace/cqui will do it, among many other things it will do

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Orange Sunshine posted:

When going for a culture victory, you win via having the most tourism. Trade routes and open borders in other civs add substantially to tourism. Is there any point to having trade routes and open borders all along the way, or are they only of value at the very end when you're close to actually achieving the victory?

Only difference between the two is internal is more production external is more $$$.

However I "think" having foreign trade routes gives an espionage level at a certain tech level, which admittedly isn't a big deal. Basically be selfish and short-term with your trade routes.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Only difference between the two is internal is more production external is more $$$.

However I "think" having foreign trade routes gives an espionage level at a certain tech level, which admittedly isn't a big deal. Basically be selfish and short-term with your trade routes.

International trade routes add 25% to the tourism coming from that civ. I'm trying to figure out if they have any long term effect, though, or if the extra tourism just stops once the trade route does.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

So, the way culture victory actually works is this:

Every turn, the tourism you produce is added to each foreign civ's "tourism counter", affected by the modifiers. Once your tourism counter hits a certain threshold (determined by eg number of civs, game speed) one of that civ's local tourists is converted into a visiting tourist for you. You actually win if your total number of visiting tourists is bigger than anyone else's number of local tourists.

So, say you make 100 tourism per turn, the tourism counter threshold in this game is 1500, you have a trade route and open borders with Egypt and neither with England. The open borders and trade route modifiers both give +25% vs. Egypt, so you actually get 150 tourism towards the counter with them and it takes you 10 turns to get an extra tourist from them, but it still takes 15 turns to get another tourist from England.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Glidergun posted:

So, the way culture victory actually works is this:

Every turn, the tourism you produce is added to each foreign civ's "tourism counter", affected by the modifiers. Once your tourism counter hits a certain threshold (determined by eg number of civs, game speed) one of that civ's local tourists is converted into a visiting tourist for you. You actually win if your total number of visiting tourists is bigger than anyone else's number of local tourists.

So, say you make 100 tourism per turn, the tourism counter threshold in this game is 1500, you have a trade route and open borders with Egypt and neither with England. The open borders and trade route modifiers both give +25% vs. Egypt, so you actually get 150 tourism towards the counter with them and it takes you 10 turns to get an extra tourist from them, but it still takes 15 turns to get another tourist from England.

Ok, so if you're going for a cultural victory, you want to try to have open borders and a trade route with all the other civs as much of the time as possible, then.

The open borders part is a pain in the rear end, since everyone always dislikes you.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Orange Sunshine posted:

Ok, so if you're going for a cultural victory, you want to try to have open borders and a trade route with all the other civs as much of the time as possible, then.

The open borders part is a pain in the rear end, since everyone always dislikes you.

Open borders is a +3 "liking you" modifier, so it can help.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That's still a -17 per turn if they think you're a -20 warmongerer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John F Bennett posted:

That's still a -17 per turn if they think you're a -20 warmongerer.

if i had the screenshot i'd show you my -563 warmonger penalty for taking my city back from caesar

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The White Dragon posted:

if i had the screenshot i'd show you my -563 warmonger penalty for taking my city back from caesar

Are you sure you just took your city back and didn't casually raze a half-dozen cities en route? :)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't believe that story, because it implies the AI was able to take your city in the first place.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

aniviron posted:

I don't believe that story, because it implies the AI was able to take your city in the first place.

Theoretically the AI could take your city, if it was a new one with 1 population and no walls and no units guarding it, and they blundered into it while attacking barbarians.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Orange Sunshine posted:

Theoretically the AI could take your city, if it was a new one with 1 population and no walls and no units guarding it, and they blundered into it while attacking barbarians.

The AI is perfectly capable at taking cities without walls, so if he never bothered to build walls then it's possible the AI took his city.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to ask the AI civs not to send their missionaries and apostles into your territory?

Whenever I convert an AI''s city, they always immediately ask me not to do that again. But I can't find a way to ask them the same thing. I don't see it anywhere in the menus for making deals with them or making demands of them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Yes, but they straight up ignore you. It's under the "discuss" tab when you talk to them. They'll say yes but then continue to do it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's a typo in the diplomatic options, sometimes the no-convert button is labeled "declare war" instead.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Krazyface posted:

There's a typo in the diplomatic options, sometimes the no-convert button is labeled "declare war" instead.

Good bye.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

TheAnomaly posted:

The AI is perfectly capable at taking cities without walls, so if he never bothered to build walls then it's possible the AI took his city.

Tbh when at war it's not the AI taking cities I worry about, it's pillaging districts.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Two questions:

1) Where the hell is the Hall of Fame? Winning is easy enough, but the score scaling seems rather difficult. I conquer half the planet, win a domination victory and I'm...Eleanor of Aquitaine? I'd like to be able to keep track of how well I did, and I can't seem to find it in the actual game app. Is it somewhere on Steam?

2) What exactly is the relationship between culture and tourism? I understand (I think) the mechanics behind tourism, but what does culture have to do with it?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TipTow posted:

Two questions:

1) Where the hell is the Hall of Fame? Winning is easy enough, but the score scaling seems rather difficult. I conquer half the planet, win a domination victory and I'm...Eleanor of Aquitaine? I'd like to be able to keep track of how well I did, and I can't seem to find it in the actual game app. Is it somewhere on Steam?

2) What exactly is the relationship between culture and tourism? I understand (I think) the mechanics behind tourism, but what does culture have to do with it?

Regarding 2, Culture increases your Domestic Tourists, a pool from which Visiting Tourists are drawn to other Civs. I don't remember the exact math breakdown, but the gist of it is that the more culture you generate, the more domestic tourists you have, and thus the harder it is for anyone else to win a cultural victory (as they need more visiting tourists than anyone has domestic).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

There's no Hall of Fame

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What's the best setup to learn the game on/build a pretty little empire? I've been running a game as Germany on a Duel-sized Inland Sea, and have just made it up to the Industrial era in tech, but just past Feudalism on the Civics tree. I'm on three cities (two at 11pop, and a new one at 7 and growing fast) but the map has a dearth of luxury resources and the AI player (Gilgamesh) has Zanzibar locked down pretty well. I'm just now running up against the Housing/Amenities limits, and not sure how to proceed. Cultural output is low (~25ish per turn), but I managed some stellar Holy Site/Campus districts that are surrounded by mountains. I could probably win however I choose, but I want to get a full game under my belt to see how the endgame plays out.

A few questions/observations:

-What's the range on trade routes? The AI is on the opposite side of the map and I've never had the opportunity to trade with them, but Gilgamesh is somehow trading with me.

-Military Engineers seem pretty pointless, since they only get two roads to build? Or is it a Point A to Point B type thing and I just messed up?

-What are the go-for wonders in this game? I've locked down Forbidden City, the Colossus, and the Oracle, but my terrain wasn't good for a bulk of wonders.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Playing a game with just one other Civ is pretty...gamey. It's not a real representation of how the game plays, for better or for worse.

- 30 tiles over water and you have to have Shipbuilding
- I've never built one, if you are keeping up building the max traders you are allowed to build- and you should be- the roads tend to take care of themselves
- depends entirely on the win condition you're going for, which you should decide from the beginning of the game

I'd recommend Standard, Prince, Island Plates for a newb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Triskelli posted:

-Military Engineers seem pretty pointless, since they only get two roads to build? Or is it a Point A to Point B type thing and I just messed up?

They can eventually build forts and airstrips. Airstrips are possibly useful I guess. I have no idea why anyone at Firaxis thought giving them the option to build exactly two roads and nothing else was a good idea.