Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The frame rate in this game is just not good.

I don't know how it managed to be worse than X/Y in that regard, but goodness gracious it's bad if I'm complaining about frame rates in a Pokemon game. Every potential double battle I see gives me fits of anxiety.

It's a pretty rushed game so maybe they didn't have time to fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
gst, i just want a rufflet please. I'm offering this rowlet.

this is way too difficult, help.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

gst, i just want a rufflet please. I'm offering this rowlet.

this is way too difficult, help.

Got a Vullaby? Try that.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Beastyfella posted:

I want to build a battle tree group, but it looks like it will be a horrible slog to get a HA Dratini, does anyone have one available? I really don't have much to trade yet as I'm still working on my Pokedex. Stats don't need to be great since I have a ditto that fell off a truck.

Friend code is 5301 3423 2448
In game name is MaisieDaisy ( I play with my daughter hence the girl character and name)
I've got a bunch of breedjects if you still need one. Adamant with HA and some egg moves in Beast Balls, 4IV. Added you.

FC 3325-3410-1572 IGN tyb

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Oh heck yeah, just hatched my first shiny! :)

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Congrats! What evolution are you thinking of going for?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

No idea! Given that I've just restarted breeding of them to include egg moves (got curse yawn and wish, not sure what to use as 4th egg move if anything) so I might wait until I've finished breeding them all up to see if I get any other shines out of it :)

So glad I went to the effort of getting the shiny charm

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
For what it's worth, that would make an okay Sylveon. Modest with 0 Atk is good, and Sylveon doesn't care about Speed that much. Vaporeon would do fine too.

For a 4th egg move, consider Stored Power.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoran posted:

For what it's worth, that would make an okay Sylveon. Modest with 0 Atk is good, and Sylveon doesn't care about Speed that much. Vaporeon would do fine too.

For a 4th egg move, consider Stored Power.

You can bottle cap any missing IVs, can't you?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 6, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can bottle cap any missnig IVs, can't you?

I'm still not used to this fact, obviously.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

I hadn't considered stored power, I was going to make a 2nd full set of them all with baton pass/volt switch/that other move that keeps stats. Stored power could be amazing on that. Z power move eevee then pass into Espeon and wreck the world.

I also had totally forgotten about bottle caps, I could totally put one on that shiny and make it basically perfect.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Captain Hair posted:

I hadn't considered stored power, I was going to make a 2nd full set of them all with baton pass/volt switch/that other move that keeps stats. Stored power could be amazing on that. Z power move eevee then pass into Espeon and wreck the world.

I also had totally forgotten about bottle caps, I could totally put one on that shiny and make it basically perfect.

Baton Pass gives whatever boosts you already have to the Pokémon you bring in, but U-Turn and Volt Switch don't—they're basically like switching normally, just after your attack.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wish there was a Burn Up equivalent for Ice type pokemon

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Parrotine posted:

I wish there was a Burn Up equivalent for Ice type pokemon

Melt Down

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Zoran posted:

Melt Down

Ice Meltdown

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Can someone spare an extra Castform? I don't care about the stats or anything, I would just like to breed some eggs to hatch before the 15th this month, where I'd imagine it'll become worthless once the Bank opens up

EDIT: What's all this Meltdown noise? I can't find a move called that anywhere

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 6, 2017

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago

tyblazitar posted:

I've got a bunch of breedjects if you still need one. Adamant with HA and some egg moves in Beast Balls, 4IV. Added you.

FC 3325-3410-1572 IGN tyb

Thanks! I'll add you when I get home in an hour or two.

Parrotine I will try to get you a castform later today if no one else has. Need to breed some more up for trades anyway.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

So far, this game is less fun than X and Y. Welp that's my opinion thanks for reading.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Managed to get a streak of 50 in the Super Doubles Battle Tree, and this was my team for that.

code:
Oranguru @Lum Berry
Nature: Sassy (+Sp. Def, -Spd)
Ability: Inner Focus
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spd, 31 All Others
EVs: 252 HP/92 Def/164 Sp. Def
-Protect
-Trick Room
-Instruct
-Psychic

Drampa @Life Orb
Nature: Quiet (+Sp. Atk, -Spd)
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp. Atk
-Protect
-Hyper Voice
-Shadow Ball
-Dragon Pulse

Mudsdale @Assault Vest
Nature: Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
Ability: Stamina
IVs: 0 Spd, 31 All Others
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Heavy Slam
-Earthquake

Celesteela @Leftovers
Nature: Quiet (+Sp. Atk, -Spd)
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp. Atk
-Protect
-Leech Seed
-Flash Cannon
-Flamethrower
I originally had a team of Alolan Raichu, Tapu Koko, Pelipper, and Mega Salamence, but it was far too reliant on Alolan Raichu carrying the team, and if one of them aside from Mega Salamence got taken out, the gimmick pretty much broke.

So I went with a far more reliable Trick Room Team instead. Doubles is significantly easier than singles, since you don't have to play nearly as defensively (In fact, that's pretty much suicide.) Set up sweepers aren't that great, since the AI can gang up on the Pokemon that's trying to do that in the first place. So you really want Pokemon that can do something straight out of the gate.

Oranguru is pretty much my key support. Sets up Trick Room, and then goes crazy with Instruct, which is utterly busted in the Battle Tree. If something is confused or asleep, Instruct accelerates the turn counters on those, making them wear off a lot faster. Also if the Pokemon its Instructing is paralyzed, they essentially get another attempt to do it again. Oranguru originally had Telepathy as its ability, and was carrying a Mental Herb instead, but I used an Ability Capsule to switch it to Inner Focus, and gave it a Lum Berry because I really wanted it to get off Trick Room. And there aren't as many Taunt users as there are Pokemon that can inflict statuses. Also the only spread move I had that could damage it was Earthquake. Psychic is just really there to ensure Oranguru can do something if it gets Taunted. Oh and if Oranguru manages to get taken out without Trick Room going up, it's honestly not that big of an issue for me. The thing about Trick Room teams is that you don't have to invest all those EVs into speed, and can focus on defenses instead. So even without Trick Room up, it's pretty hard for the opponent to take out my team easily thanks to their bulk investment. In fact, just think of Trick Room as giving slower Pokemon a massive increase to their base speed stat. Protect is nice if I bring in my Mudsdale to use Earthquake, since mine doesn't have Telepathy.

Drampa was the star player of my team, as I led with both it and Oranguru. STAB Hyper Voices coming off 135 base special attack hits pretty hard when combined with Instruct. And Instruct could let Drampa break Focus Sashes or Sturdy, so I didn't have to worry about those. Dragon Pulse was the other STAB move for it, if I really wanted to focus something down. Shadow Ball was just really there for coverage so Drampa wouldn't be walled by Ghost and Steel types. A good thing about using Instruct on spread moves is that if the spread move takes out one Pokemon, the next use of it won't suffer from the spread damage reduction, making it a lot more powerful. Drampa managed to wipe a lot of teams by itself that way. Berserk also gave it a really nice boost if it activated, and its bulk pretty much ensures it can survive hits for it to go off. Most of the time I Protect on the first turn so it can start yelling at the Pokemon to get off its lawn when Trick Room is up. Though I don't bother if I think they're going after my Oranguru instead, or if they have no way of taking out Drampa.

Mudsdale was my physical attacker and provided some Ground coverage if I needed it. It also provided a nice switch in in case Drampa couldn't do anything relevant to the current set of Pokemon. Rock Slide only has 90 accuracy, but I feel more comfortable running it here since Doubles is significantly more lenient on what you can do. Also it can be combined with Instruct for severe flinchax shenanigans. The chances of hit not hitting at least one Pokemon is really slim in that case. (Literally a 1 in 10,000 chance.) Close Combat and Heavy Slam are really for coverage, and Heavy Slam hits 120 BP on the things that the other moves can't really do much to. Earthquake is a nice STAB spread move, and I don't have to worry about hitting my ally if Celesteela is on the field. If it's not, I usually have my ally use Protect.

Celesteela is pretty much the glue for the team. It's really bulky, and can do a lot of things even if Trick Room isn't up. Which is really handy if Oranguru got taken out before it could set up Trick Room. Protect is nice if the AI thinks they see a free kill with a Fire or an Electric move. It makes for really good bait for those kinds of moves, letting my more powerful attackers get free turns. I have mine built as a special attacker, so it makes use of Flash Cannon and Flamethrower. Beast Boost also helps it snowball if it snags a few kills, so Celesteela pretty much turns into a massively bulky special attacker. Leech Seed is honestly just kind of there, and could probably be replaced with something better (Air Slash, maybe?) I barely used it all that much.

Some battle videos:

DCNW-WWWW-WWW4-6GM5
YF9G-WWWW-WWW4-6GCE if you want to see the AI being hilariously dumb.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 6, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What is the ability on the eevee? A sylveon without pixilate is a sad sylveon indeed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

then put in Psychic Meltdown as well

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Finally managed to get Xurkitree into a Luxury Ball. Overall an incredibly frustrating experience, not only because of the combination of Catch Rate 30, using a non-Beast ball and only having 5 Luxury Balls, but also because it can't be paralyzed due to the Electric typing, and it constantly keeps up Electric Terrain which prevents sleep. Just in case anyone else wants to attempt something like this, here's what I used:

1 dead Synchronize Abra (I wanted Timid, luckily I hit that 50%).
1 level 100 Palossand with Hypnosis (can be switched with another bulky Ground type with a sleep move, if any exist)
1 level 100 Decidueye with False Swipe (anything high level that resists Discharge and Power Whip and has False Swipe/Hold Back works here)
1 level 60 Tapu Bulu (could maybe be switched to Tapu Lele if you have one that's really high level, but Bulu is probably the best choice)
1 low level Absol with Pressure (anything with pressure that dies to Discharge works here, even better would be if you had a Spite user which could live a few hits and/or outspeed Xurkitree, but that's a lot harder to find)

First, send out the Palossand. Whenever Xurkitree can't KO something and Electric Terrain isn't up, it will use it, so the first thing you do is switch into Absol so it loses 2 PP. It will then try to kill Absol with Discharge, so switch back to Palossand. Now it'll try damaging that with Power Whip, so you get a safe switch-in for Tapu Bulu, who sets up Grassy Terrain. As long as Tapu Bulu is at around 65-70% HP or more, Xurkitree will go for Electric Terrain over Discharge, so you switch in Absol again. Rinse and repeat the Absol - Palossand - Tapu Bulu pattern while keeping track of the Electric Terrain PP (it's only got 10). After some time your Bulu will get below the threshold where Xurkitree will try to kill it with discharge, so you will need to switch over to Palossand one extra round to restore HP to Bulu. Don't worry, Palossand should be able to eat a few Power Whips. When the Electric Terrain PP finally runs out, switch to Decidueye and get it down to 1 HP (hopefully you didn't screw up at any point and give it Beast Boosts, those will make this step more annoying), then finally switch back to Palossand to start the Hypnosis duel and chuck balls whenever it's sleeping.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I used a Leftovers Parasect with Spore, Swords Dance, Leech Life, False Swipe, and those Sp. Def raising items you can buy.

Give it Dry Skin and it completely shuts down Tapu Fini for anyone struggling.

UB-Hunter is a good friend.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
The annoying part about Tapu Fini is Aqua Ring though, so if you wanted to really optimize you'd probably want something with Heal Block or some Imprison Smeargle shenanigans or something.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I did it without anything to negate the Aqua Ring but it took a lot of Spores, False Swipes, potions, Leppa Berries and... 28 Dive Balls.

Both times, because while the Synchronize Abra did its work the IVs was the opposite of what you would want.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

What is the ability on the eevee? A sylveon without pixilate is a sad sylveon indeed.

Run away :(

Which is such a shame as I'm pretty sure it seems to pass down the hidden ability the vast majority of the time, I've got far more with anticipation than anything else.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Captain Hair posted:

I'm pretty sure it seems to pass down the hidden ability the vast majority of the time, I've got far more with anticipation than anything else.

Are you sure you're not confused with Adaptability, its other regular ability?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

No however after rechecking my eevee I think some sleepy night I've reorganised them in to something that made sense at the time, just found an entire box of run away eevee. So there's that. *shrugs*

On a good note one of the many random eevee I got from the gts had stored power already so that should make it nice and easy to bring over as the final egg move.

I also got an eevee in a beast ball which I'm tempted to breed over.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Captain Hair posted:

No however after rechecking my eevee I think some sleepy night I've reorganised them in to something that made sense at the time, just found an entire box of run away eevee. So there's that. *shrugs*

On a good note one of the many random eevee I got from the gts had stored power already so that should make it nice and easy to bring over as the final egg move.

I also got an eevee in a beast ball which I'm tempted to breed over.

Remember that there's some wonkiness involving abilities. If one of the parents has Run Away and is holding an Everstone, I think they have a very increased chance of producing a Run Away offspring.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

They most certainly have ever stones, for the natures, didn't realise that affected abilities that would explain it as the eevee has the hidden ability.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tooling around on the GTS for Tapus with better stats than the ones I caught and I got a Tapu Koko with 0 IVs in everything. Someone's deliberately hacking these and sending these out. How sore do you have to be to do this?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Tooling around on the GTS for Tapus with better stats than the ones I caught and I got a Tapu Koko with 0 IVs in everything. Someone's deliberately hacking these and sending these out. How sore do you have to be to do this?

i mean you're the one who admitted to trying to game someone for a better pokemon so p sure all soreness is on your own head

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Alxprit posted:

Some people just want to spread misery.

Some people want to make others happy, like the guy that sent me a totally legit Modest Tapu Lele in a Love Ball with 31/0/31/30/31/30 IVs for Hidden Power - Fire, Pokerus, and PP Max for the hold item.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
drat i wonder traded an abra and got a weedle, how sore do you have to be to do this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder traded a Mareanie and got a Japanese Snow Warning Vulpix in a Love Ball, so I'm pretty sore

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You know what, I'll just quietly sit down and shut up, instead.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I caught mareanie really easily, are they desirable? I can crank some out if people want them. I haven't got destiny knot or the ideal ditto yet, but at least you'd have one.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Captain Hair posted:

Run away :(

Which is such a shame as I'm pretty sure it seems to pass down the hidden ability the vast majority of the time, I've got far more with anticipation than anything else.

Make it a vaporeon, IMO. That's what I did with my shiny run away Eevee.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 7, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shinjobi posted:

The frame rate in this game is just not good.

I don't know how it managed to be worse than X/Y in that regard, but goodness gracious it's bad if I'm complaining about frame rates in a Pokemon game. Every potential double battle I see gives me fits of anxiety.

It got me to upgrade to a New 3DS, so mission accomplished I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

if I get a 2ds, will that run sumo better than my original turquoise? my joy-nub is really starting to fall apart, and I would enjoy improved fps but I'd also like to spend as little money as possible. Also 3d is a dumb gimmick that I only ever really enjoyed playing starfox and link between worlds.