Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been using some loading mod already, got a trillion assets and load time is about 2min which is pretty ok! How's this one different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I've been using some loading mod already, got a trillion assets and load time is about 2min which is pretty ok! How's this one different?

There are three versions of the loading screen mod on the workshop by thale5, which effect new/saved game loading screens. This is the third and newest version, which introduces multicore support for asset loading, and maybe some other things.

thale5 also made Less Steam, which works to optimize the main menu and content manager.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's really sad we need mods like these for some basic optimization. Why doesn't CO do this? I asked somewhere and a person said that even though these mods drastically improve loading times, they use multi-threads and if CO had multicore support they might need to mention that in something about recommended system requirements and that's something they refuse to ever change/update in any way.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

It's really sad we need mods like these for some basic optimization. Why doesn't CO do this? I asked somewhere and a person said that even though these mods drastically improve loading times, they use multi-threads and if CO had multicore support they might need to mention that in something about recommended system requirements and that's something they refuse to ever change/update in any way.

They actually included some of the functionality of the first loading screen/don't crash mods. But yeah, some of the basic changes in these mods (like don't load the same texture twice) seem kind of obvious.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had no idea there were loading screen mods and I look forward to getting home and installing one assuming they aren't gonna break my game somehow.

My city takes like 10 minutes to load, easy. More I bet but I haven't really timed it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Moridin920 posted:

I had no idea there were loading screen mods and I look forward to getting home and installing one assuming they aren't gonna break my game somehow.

My city takes like 10 minutes to load, easy. More I bet but I haven't really timed it.

What's great is the mods also add a timer so it shows you exactly how long it takes. Without any loading mods I was at about 5min, now I'm at about 2min. Pretty good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

That's just a terrible reason. Software is supposed to perform better when you throw better hardware at it. If the software is written so it can't take advantage of better hardware and keeps performing poorly, that's not something that lowers the minimum requirements, but only something that limits performance.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

It's really sad we need mods like these for some basic optimization. Why doesn't CO do this?

Why spend expensive programmer time on something modders will do for free?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nielsm posted:

That's just a terrible reason. Software is supposed to perform better when you throw better hardware at it. If the software is written so it can't take advantage of better hardware and keeps performing poorly, that's not something that lowers the minimum requirements, but only something that limits performance.

From what I've read, which could be total BS, people are saying CO has a rule that no patch or DLC can "change the system requirements info". So even just adding SUPPORT for something, like multi-core, would change that info. It's not even a matter of not wanting to raise the minimums, they don't want to change a single line of text to even mention optional support for a thing because the system requirements page is a holy text that can not be changed ever. I'm not entirely sure why CO is so obsessed with this, but they've mentioned it a lot in the past and I've never heard a dev so seemingly obsessed with never changing it. Like they think they'll have to refund everyone's money or steam will sue them or something paranoid.

\/ yeah that doesn't make sense then. Also the comments have some dude yelling about how he refuses to use loading mods because by making the game load too quickly it puts strain on his computer's resources and his computer isn't "dedicated to playing skylines" so he needs those "resources" for all the other programs he needs to run at the same time or something??

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 4, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The funny thing about that is that they already require 64 bit OS, and any CPU supported already is multicore. And the actual simulation is also well known to be multithreaded. It's not like they have a separate requirements section for the loading screen.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The two theories I've heard about CO's weird obstinacy on the loading mods:

1. The loading mods use some form of "lazy loading" that only loads assets once you need them in game as opposed to when you load the save. This takes place either when you come across the asset in a menu or when you zoom up close to it, or something like that. On a slower computer, this can cause stuttering during the game as the asset loads. CO chose to have a long loading sequence up front but a smoother in-game experience.

2. The long loading time up front serves as a soft limit on how many assets you can install before the loading time becomes truly ridiculous. If it prevents people from going hog wild on assets, then they won't suffer as much of a performance decrease in-game, and consequently they won't complain as much or give poor reviews.

Who knows if either of these are even a little bit true. :shrug: My general impression is that CO doesn't want to provide much support for people who use a very high number of assets/mods, which is fair I guess but kind of a bummer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think its all of the above and also CO is like 12 people so the infrastructure for quick turn arounds on improvements and fixes that won't crash more in the future is going to be longer than you'd think it would be. The modders arguably have more resources to iterate on features than the team programmers because the modders have 1 or 2 pet projects and the team programmers have every single change gracing their desks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm really digging Move It and Disable Zone Check.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Holy Jesus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cities Skylines is already a multithreaded application (four primary threads) and will already perform best on Quad-core CPUs. They'd happily multithreaded the loading, I'm sure, if they had resources to dedicate to it and judged it worth them. One billion mods just isn't in their primary use case.

Anyway, the main performance increase here is from lazy loading, not multithreading, as I understand, and Lazy Loading assets and mods would bring other dangers and potential experience inconsistencies.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 5, 2017

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

turn off the TV posted:

Holy gently caress that's beautiful

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kInpkZYrs
Never heard of this game, looks like a city builder with heavy political/tropico style elements.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Never heard of this game, looks like a city builder with heavy political/tropico style elements.

This looks hella up my alley... hopefully it's decent!

I still fire up The Guild 2 every once in a while. I like to murder all my political opponents in the streets :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It looks interesting, but from what I've seen it's not what anyone in this thread would call a "city builder" at all. The city building parts seem to be closer to Civ than SimCity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah you can't even put down roads, it's just random blocks that get filled with fairly random buildings in OCD staggeringly inefficient ways. I'm just glad people are thinking outside of the box and having political elements.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Cities Skylines is already a multithreaded application (four primary threads) and will already perform best on Quad-core CPUs. They'd happily multithreaded the loading, I'm sure, if they had resources to dedicate to it and judged it worth them. One billion mods just isn't in their primary use case.

Anyway, the main performance increase here is from lazy loading, not multithreading, as I understand, and Lazy Loading assets and mods would bring other dangers and potential experience inconsistencies.

The Loading Screen mod doesn't use lazy loading, and the latest version specifically mentioned multithreading in its description. The mod has other kinds of optimizations, like only loading a texture once if it's utilized in multiple assets. Less Steam does use lazy loading, but it only effects the content manager and main menu.

I've only had one instance of the game not loading assets so far, which was easily fixed by just reloading the game. That isn't a big deal when it takes under 60 seconds to load 1000 or so assets.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything to fix the terrain tearing stuff other than just messing around with terraforming?

I don't do anything *too* nuts so it's not that much of a problem but I do have a stretch of road that when I'm super zoomed out and at just the right angle (like say if the camera is positioned as if you were looking over the city from a distant hilltop) I can see the blue and it annoys me. Like even if it was just slate gray that would be better instead of the bright jarring blue.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Moridin920 posted:

Is there anything to fix the terrain tearing stuff other than just messing around with terraforming?

I don't do anything *too* nuts so it's not that much of a problem but I do have a stretch of road that when I'm super zoomed out and at just the right angle (like say if the camera is positioned as if you were looking over the city from a distant hilltop) I can see the blue and it annoys me. Like even if it was just slate gray that would be better instead of the bright jarring blue.

Is there anything zoned on the road? If not, you can use the mods Fine Road Height and Fine Road Anarchy to make ground level elevated roads that don't cause terrain tearing, even on steep slopes.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 5, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nah it's a highway and a train track. I'll get the mod, cheers.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

turn off the TV posted:

... I'll be in my bunk

:fap:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Hey thread, I have a modding question for you.

I'd like something that introduces a few more consequences to crazed, megalomaniacal city building. Specifically:

1. If I rezone a place or destroy housing or similar, I'd like to require a plan to relocate those people, instead of having them leave the city.
2. I'd like some kind of referendum system, where changes to neighborhoods or zoning laws require agents to vote on them.

Does something like this exist? And if not, how difficult do you think it would be for a newbie modder to add them?

Thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think both of those ideas requires a concept of "planned but not implemented" actions, i.e. designating what you intend to demolish/re-zone, then push a button saying "my plans are finished, go ahead". The game doesn't have the basis to really support that at all, so it sounds very unlikely to happen in this game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've spent a few hours watching different youtubers play this and it is more of a city management than a builder. Gameplay is you wanting to do something, checking if you can afford it (probably not) and then putting it up for a vote in the city council with the medium sized party who will support it, the small party who are mostly neutral and the large party who hates and opposes everything and wins all elections. To be fair it has just been the start and the first era so it might be more interesting later but it mostly just seems to be about voting on construction, service- and tax slider changes and laws using your limited goodwill points to influence the political parties. More politically focused than Tropico but with a similar depth. :shrug:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Couple of questions on demand:

My current city is fluctuating between 45-56k people where all of a sudden 10k people move out and then trickle back in. I have no demand and building anything new seems to trigger another mass exodus. All my business and residential areas have good land value, good education and good access to services. How do I get demand to keep rising and avoid bursts of -650 cims a week.

I also tried the realistic pop mod and can't seem to get my city above 5k for similar reasons.

Thanks!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WG realistic pop plus WG citizen life rebalance help a lot of demand and death-spiral demographic fuckery. Also I think there's a mod called demand master that just lets you set your own demands since the game's system kinda isn't very responsive.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The Tequesta Chamber of Commerce and Board of Tourism would like to extend you an invitation to visit beautiful Tequesta!

From humble beginnings as a trading post on the Tequesta River, rampant real estate speculation and drug smuggling have fuelled Tequesta's growth!

Our business district is the pulsating economic gallbladder of the Greater Northeastern Gulf Straits District (Southwest Division).

A complete freeway system whisks you around the city, when not obstructed by police chases (available nightly on KXTM-5, your GNEGSD news leader!)

The hotel towers of Tequesta Beach glitter like the sands they're built on, or possibly like the mountains of cocaine which fuel this city's nightlife. And emergency rooms.

Property values in Quinn Beach have lately become inflated, much like its residents' lips.

West of town, the surrounding rural counties are surrounded by farmland, on the site of the former Great Mosquito Swamp, a former World Heritage Site.

Jackson County in particular is speckled with small towns like Micosukee. Micosukee is a Tequesta-language word meaning, roughly, "these blankets appear suspicious."

There is a smattering of industry in the rural counties, like the Micosukee oilfield. It's been 6 years since the last gator incident!

Tequesta University has an active nightlife district near its student ghetto. It has not one, but two full-sized stadia. You may recall the fundraising campaign, "what if one stadium breaks?" The newer stadium is built over the ruins of the fine arts faculty and has never been used.

___

Tequesta is my second city, and the first after the mandatory "figure out how the transit system works and unlock everything" city. It's mostly a tourist city but it got a lot more urban than I anticipated.

Currently playing around with building themes and Snowfall. Snow looks great on the Baroque building set.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

I've been away from this game for ages and wanted to know how you got those amazing farm crops in those fields? This game is getting closer to SC4s look every time I view this thread.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Asciana posted:

I've been away from this game for ages and wanted to know how you got those amazing farm crops in those fields? This game is getting closer to SC4s look every time I view this thread.

Wheat fields. They're hella time consuming, however, and the LOD is really short. In the future my fields are likely just gonna be done with the surface painter mod.

To make the 'plantations,' you can do it manually but your rows aren't gonna be straight (like my wavy ones here). The Prop Line Tool makes that so much easier and quicker. I rotated between orange trees, banana plants, and the vanilla palm plants which look a bit like oil palms; a non-tropical map should probably use different plants. The trees lining the roads are mostly Southern Live Oak.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Very nice. The farms and rural areas are really great stuff.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That all looks real nice!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Love your city, good job

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I built a nice little transportation hub for one of my map's cities. It's a large station that is going to serve as a hub for the region's S-train and intercity rail lines, as well as a nice little bus hub servicing the town and nearby regional university. I usually have a couple thousand people riding the S-Train at all hours during the morning and evening rush hours, with about five 420 person trains in use. Unfortunately the regional rail isn't drawing very much traffic, usually only about 12 people a minute.

The pedestrian elevators are available from this collection - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=645371593 - For some reason the road connectors don't work anymore, but the pedestrian path elevators do.

Also, for some reason I get dozens of old people moving in packs around the area. I have no clue what is going on or where they're coming from.

:iiam:

Albino Squirrel posted:

Wheat fields. They're hella time consuming, however, and the LOD is really short. In the future my fields are likely just gonna be done with the surface painter mod.

There are also plenty of terrain themes on the workshop that replace the various resource types with field textures, so if you don't care about specialized industry you can get some decent field variation with surface painter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That looks pretty dang nice too.

For that parking, are you using an asset or just plopping the 'parking space' props? Corollary; if you just plop parking spots as props do they still work?

Also thanks for the pedestrian elevator link I'll def be grabbing that!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Moridin920 posted:

That looks pretty dang nice too.

For that parking, are you using an asset or just plopping the 'parking space' props? Corollary; if you just plop parking spots as props do they still work?

Also thanks for the pedestrian elevator link I'll def be grabbing that!

I use this collection of parking spaces - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600039513

A few of the spaces in that picture are placed props as well. Parking spaces placed as props do work. I'm also using Traffic Manager: President Edition's enhanced parking AI feature to actually encourage cims to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
After catching up with most of this thread I was feeling like firing the game up for a bit, but then I saw the screenshots at this last page, looked at my own for a bit and now I'm like... eh. :effort: :smith:

EDIT: To be honest though, I'm still on my first city, don't have any of the DLCs and haven't exactly gone out of my way to fiddle with beautification in a detailed manner. Mostly I've just been throwing poo poo in the wind to see what flies and doing whatever random whim comes over me. Let's just say I named the city Malarkey for a reason.

EDIT2: The terrain deformation in this game is pretty hilarious (and so are my bus lines)

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 12, 2017