Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

Elena has just been working Nate for a crazy story, and now that she has his whole backstory she can finally reveal the whole marriage was a sham. She's also glad there's not a real Nathan Drake she's married to, just a Nate Morgan she sometimes lives with. So she doesn't have to worry about a messy divorce or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So Nate was actually descended from Henry Morgan all along.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Esoteric Banana posted:

Elena has just been working Nate for a crazy story, and now that she has his whole backstory she can finally reveal the whole marriage was a sham. She's also glad there's not a real Nathan Drake she's married to, just a Nate Morgan she sometimes lives with. So she doesn't have to worry about a messy divorce or anything.

Nooooooooooo :smith: the ultimate third act betrayal

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm several pages late on this but it may be worth remembering that Sam was sprung from prison 2 years ago in game time, and Nadine only recently inherited her PMC from her dad and it's in poor financial straits. Shoreline as a whole might be a terrible company but it's entirely feasible Nadine's been mostly in partnership with Rafe doing treasure-hunting for most of the time she's been running the company.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

bobjr posted:

Also Sam might have thought Nate would have said no if he said he's going to be going up against a private army. Granted Nate's already dealt with three of those and came up on top, but Sam doesn't really know that.

No, he knows. Remember at the beginning, where you get to choose which Uncharted game you want to talk to Sam about first? And then it fades out to imply he and Nate spend the day going over his old adventures.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJveyrf1YTc&t=142s
the relevant video ^

Ysengrin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 7, 2017

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

standard owl posted:

Middle-aged white men and their emotional problems are so, so far removed from my life and perspective that I am basically watching this LP like an anthropologist studying an isolated tribe. yes this includes Sam, Nate, and gently caress I guess Rafe too? What's up with that guy?? Of all of Chip and Ironicus's LPs so far, this has probably helped me understand old white men the most. Watch_Dogs actually hurt my knowledge more than anything, but I'm really looking forward to MGSV: the Phantom Manpain to round the whole experience out.

Yeah but Elena made it to Libertalia, unlike Nicky, who's never coming back

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

guns for tits posted:

I just watched that a week ago

make it stop

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I'm not as hard on the Cassandra's sudden death thing, largely because she is a very old, unhealthy woman who's just suffered a rather severe shock. Not only a break-in, but then the horror of nearly shooting her protege's sons - it's entirely believable her heart disease could act up, at least in generic Dramatic Heart Disease form (as opposed to realistic heart disease).

I really feel bad for her, to be honest.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if ND was consciously visually quoting the famous English explorer Mary Kingsley in Evelyn's design? Can't find any specific reference to it, but the first picture of Evelyn with Ken realllllly reminded me of her.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

guns for tits posted:

I'm holding out for the Watch Dogs 2 Season pass

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jetrauben posted:

I'm not as hard on the Cassandra's sudden death thing, largely because she is a very old, unhealthy woman who's just suffered a rather severe shock. Not only a break-in, but then the horror of nearly shooting her protege's sons - it's entirely believable her heart disease could act up, at least in generic Dramatic Heart Disease form (as opposed to realistic heart disease).

nah, she seemed like a bad person

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I'm several pages late on this but it may be worth remembering that Sam was sprung from prison 2 years ago in game time, and Nadine only recently inherited her PMC from her dad and it's in poor financial straits. Shoreline as a whole might be a terrible company but it's entirely feasible Nadine's been mostly in partnership with Rafe doing treasure-hunting for most of the time she's been running the company.

the good news is the more mooks get killed the less she has to spend on payroll.

We're helping!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

double nine posted:

the good news is the more mooks get killed the less she has to spend on payroll.

We're helping!

However, with such a large PMC like Shoreline, Acccidental Death & Dismemberment policy and Hazard Pay would most likely be a thing, so either way, she's losing money.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

nah, she seemed like a bad person

she's basically what Nate could have become if he had continued down the Uncharted 3 path and what Sam is on the road to becoming now--valuing treasure and discoveries above all else to the extent that it destroys her relationships with her family/loved ones

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have your loved ones gold-plated. Best of both worlds.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

standard owl posted:

Okay, I've thought about it some more and

1) Sam lied about Alcazar because he's so consumed by the goal of finding Avery's treasure but simultaneously thinks that "hanging out with my long-lost brother and finally finishing what our deceased mother started :buddy:" isn't a compelling enough reason for Nate to join him. Because he's so obsessed with the hunt, this seems like a perfectly acceptable thing to do, even though it's apparent that he knows it's not right.

and/or

2) Sam is very insecure about his and Nate's relationship, especially after 15 years apart, so he made up this cool story about breaking out of prison and his life being in immediate danger to secure his younger brother's admiration/affection. And also maybe guilt trip him just a little bit...well, a lot

If it were just #1 I think Sam's logic loses me, but combined with #2 it makes a lot more sense. I guess there's also #3: Sam is a pathological liar?

bobjr posted:

Also Sam might have thought Nate would have said no if he said he's going to be going up against a private army.

I think it's a little of both? I think Sam approached Nate without any sort of plan beyond "let's find Avery's treasure and finish mom's work," but after hearing about Nate's adventures and subsequent retirement, made up the Alcazar thing to get him back in the game.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's a pretty classic thing to have the hero be roped into one last adventure more or less against his will. It helps makes the protagonist appear more sympathetic and less greedy, which is why Sam can't just ask Nate for help finding the treasure for fun and profit. The narrative becomes more than just Find The Treasure and instead becomes Save Sam's Neck (By Having a Treasure Adventure). Nate lies to Elena for all the reasons we lie to someone we love, ie, because we want to protect them from truth and by them we mean us and by the truth we mean how they'll react to the truth. He starts to get the old team of thieves back together and they go on an adventure, which is motivated by a wholly good thing and not just finding treasure.

Sam is motivated by ego and pride. HE wants to finish his family work, and he wants it to be Drake/Morgan boys to find the treasure, not the insufferably whiny Rafe and entirely motivated by money Nadine. Sam may also like a giant pool of gold to swim in like a McDuck, but he does genuinely give a gently caress about the history of the whole thing. If you go back and watch a lot of the discoveries with Sam with the foreknowledge that his neck isn't on the line, it's way more obvious he's both in love with the chase and the history. Dudes been into pirates since before he knew his mom was a Super Historian. Then he finds out that his dearly departed mother may have found the trail of a massive Secret Pirate Treasure. Imagine what that does to a kid who is, what? In his late teens? Dude feels like this ordained from on high, and then he gets stuck in a Panamanian prison for fifteen years.

Also Nate has probably been beating himself up over Evelyn's death his entire life and numbing the pain with copious amounts of thievery, daring-do, gunfights, no safety free climbing, and cursed ancient treasures.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One thing to note: it kinda now makes sense why Sam chafed at even Sully being involved at first, beyond any petty past feud he might have had. He wanted it to strictly be a Drake affair.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Cassandra is their mother, who's already long dead. The old lady was Evelyn.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So if I'm getting this right, Dad Morgan complained about his wife's job, sold her things after she died, and then dropped their kids off at an orphanage.

That's...wow, he may actually be the shittiest person in Uncharted.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Funky Valentine posted:

So if I'm getting this right, Dad Morgan complained about his wife's job, sold her things after she died, and then dropped their kids off at an orphanage.

Strong contender, I suppose, but let's be fair, that's still a REALLY bold claim.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have a hot take: I think Rafe is, though vicious, not the villain of the story. He's repeatedly offered the Drakes a chance to back out, he bought Sam out of jail on good faith, etc. He's basically become a murderous dick because of how Sam and Nate react to him. He's also not a serial war criminal and has probably killed the least people of all characters in the game.

Lotsa notes!
  • Evelyn from the mansion is explicitly a reference to Lara Croft and the differences in tone between the two series. Uncharted was, from the beginning, seen as a successor series, in part due to its greater writing focus. This is them bringing it home by comparing the two protagonists. Of course, they further that goal by having you start both in the attic of the houses and work your way down...
  • The dinosaur wing reference is a joke in that vein. So is the Treasures of X'ian magazine bit.
  • The treasures in the house being toys are probably in part a further reference to Evelyn neglecting the really important thing.
  • Alexandra David-Néel from the Lhasa book is a real explorer, and appears to also be the basis for Evelyn's life history, in some respects (Alex's family life was fine).
  • You can hear when Evelyn wakes up, in the front hall of the house- you can start hearing movements from that point forward. I suspect those sounds will begin whenever Nate interacts with anything that makes significant noise- the gramophone, the gong, the shelf, etc.
  • It's indicated by the letters in the mailslot, the donation boxes and the medical equipment that Evelyn is basically waiting to die at this point, which helps with the plausibility of her sudden death.
  • I strongly suspect that the unrelated notebooks are actual dissertation titles. There's an actual Stephan Tremblay, a minor politician in Canada, who attended the right university.

It's very interesting to me that we never find out Evelyn's last name, nor the name of her granddaughter. That's just speculation, though.

Funky Valentine posted:

To be a bit more explicit, I'm wondering if Cassandra is Eddie's daughter.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 7, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a hot take: I think Rafe is, though vicious, not the villain of the story. He's repeatedly offered the Drakes a chance to back out, he bought Sam out of jail on good faith, etc. He's basically become a murderous dick because of how Sam and Nate react to him. He's also not a serial war criminal and has probably killed the least people of all characters in the game.

I mean, I don't think "giving lots of chances to back out" really counts if you're interspersing those offers with murder attempts. And while Rafe may not actually be a war criminal or personally killing people, he's still allying himself with the war crime-committing PMC and sending them to kill the Drake boys and Sully.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rafe sure personally killed a corrupt Panamanian prison warden with a Shiv though. All because the guy dared asked for a cut of the money (and probably more importantly, the fame).

Discendo Vox posted:

the medical equipment

The Medical equipment is probably Ken's, it seemed implied he died of cancer.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Rafe sure personally killed a corrupt Panamanian prison warden with a Shiv though. All because the guy dared asked for a cut of the money (and probably more importantly, the fame).

to be fair, he was warned not to open that envelope.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Medical equipment is probably Ken's, it seemed implied he died of cancer.

I doubt that, they had obviously separated at that point and with all that medication there, I don't think they would let you keep all that medication you know?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I doubt that, they had obviously separated at that point and with all that medication there, I don't think they would let you keep all that medication you know?

Who, in the 80s, was in charge of making sure that the home of an invalid was cleared of all the medication the patient had when they move out?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

chitoryu12 posted:

Who, in the 80s, was in charge of making sure that the home of an invalid was cleared of all the medication the patient had when they move out?

Adam Smith

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah that is some German Folklore/Evil Stepmother poo poo

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Uncharted 5 is Sam hunting the treasure of the lost childhood and lovely Dad.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

tbf Mom Morgan isn't the best mom either. All that climbing/jumping isn't good for the fetus.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

achillesforever6 posted:

Playing devil's advocate, but while Mr. Morgan did sell off Cassandra's stuff to Evelyn after she died, we don't know for sure how the boys wound up in the orphanage (unless of course I'm forgetting something). He could've died in a car accident for all we know. What information we've been told about the guy is being filtered through the perception of a hot-headed, reckless nineteen year old.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 8, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Discendo Vox posted:

To be a bit more explicit, I'm wondering if Cassandra is Eddie's daughter.

as something of a firsthand expert on mixed race families and what we look like, there is absolutely no way that nathan and sam are an eighth japanese :v:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

as something of a firsthand expert on mixed race families and what we look like, there is absolutely no way that nathan and sam are an eighth japanese :v:

Disagreed! It just depends on how the genetic dice roll out!

But I don't think Nathan and Sam are related to Evelyn, cause why wouldn't their baddad dump them on her instead of the orphanage?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

stone cold posted:

Disagreed! It just depends on how the genetic dice roll out!

But I don't think Nathan and Sam are related to Evelyn, cause why wouldn't their baddad dump them on her instead of the orphanage?

unless he didn't know about her?

i still think this is a bit too far of a reach though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's pretty obvious that they aren't related because Evelyn clearly knows who Cassandra Morgan is and gave no indication whatsoever that they might be related.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Clarste posted:

It's pretty obvious that they aren't related because Evelyn clearly knows who Cassandra Morgan is and gave no indication whatsoever that they might be related.

While that's true, Cassandra being Evelyn's granddaughter would have made some sense. It would explain how Cassandra's journals ended up in Evelyn's house, and her sudden change of heart upon learning that Nate and Sam are her kids. Yes, having them just be colleagues also works, but also continues to highlight Evelyn's failure - she might be rich and famous, but at the cost of her family. Having Cassandra be Evelyn's granddaughter allows for her to have learned from her mistakes, and connected with what family she had.

As for why Papa Morgan didn't drop Sam and Nate off with Evelyn (assuming he didn't die suddenly), as well as why he sent her journals to Evelyn instead of keeping them, it's possible that he got sick of Cassandra's obsession, and wanted to keep their kids away from it as much as possible (though, clearly that didn't work). Again, we only have Sam's interpretation of events - he may have only seen his mom taking them around the world on cool adventures, not that she was constantly uprooting her family ("why bother [unpacking]? We'll just be gone in a month."). And that would again echo the general theme of the game - people wrecking their lives because of their obsessions, rather than finding contentment with their current status.

Cerebellumn
Oct 29, 2011
Captain Francis Drake Morgan. But please, call me Drake. That's what everyone calls me.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Apep727 posted:

While that's true, Cassandra being Evelyn's granddaughter would have made some sense. It would explain how Cassandra's journals ended up in Evelyn's house,

Sam tells Nate that someone bought a bunch of their mom's old stuff. it didn't just wind up there for no explained reason. she bought her protege's stuff because she was brilliant and she had some affection for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm honestly surprised Nate doesn't have more issues than he does, especially when you realize Sully is the closest thing he has to a dad.

• Locked thread