Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
How about we all learn more math and science and get off this rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meltie posted:

Hey! Didn't you used to have something really nice?

I used to, not anymore though. Thanks Obama.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

I don't blame the employer, because I'd be doing the same thing in their shoes. The rules changed, they made changes to game the new rules. Obama taking action when you know the consequences are going to suck for the people you claim to be helping is... brilliant?

So you are okay with paying dirt wages, despite the fact that the vast majority of retail and service industry position have to be filled and most often are filled by middle aged adults. Hmmmm....
Again, why is social progress like minimum wage increases and a living wage considered punishment by Obama and not a greedy corporation that largely gives large percentage of its profits and revenue directly to bonuses and income for what is really the largest revenue sinks: the CEOs and the top management.

I don't think you actually grasp which party actually benefits labor if this is what you are concerned with.

ilkhan posted:

And no. I left, and got a career that paid a shitload better with real benefits, etc. Because retail/min wage is supposed to be a short term job, not a living wage career.

Bootstraps.txt. Also, Trump's gonna bring the jobs back, right?

ilkhan posted:

As much as the left throws around "FYGM", their own motto is "gently caress yours, taking mine". Which is just as greedy, and not nearly as honest.

Ah, so you enjoy the benefits of a civilization, but want to contribute nothing to ensuring its stable. Got it. Those damned dirty poors taking your money while working two jobs. Look, if you are going to bitch about taxes supporting poverty level workers and then turn around and say "I totally understand where companies are coming from, I was undeserving of a worthwhile wage" then you probably need to look at yourself hard in the mirror. You are the death of the Middle Class.

cursedshitbox posted:

Please. Like now. Because we're loving this one up bad.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 7, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

I don't blame the employer, because I'd be doing the same thing in their shoes.

See? I wasn't making it up - real world example of "I don't mind being hosed right now because some day I'll be the one doing the loving."

cursedshitbox posted:

I bet you didn't even think about the feelings of people who don't believe in math or science before making this post. Typical condescending liberal.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 7, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Someone stole one of my hubcaps in an expensive guarded carpark. ONE. And they're $50 each to replace.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I used to, not anymore though. Thanks Obama.

Aw mate, sorry to hear it

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I drove my car (well truck) to a new place today. Florida! 10 hours of hellish frozen roads and morons through KY, TN and AL.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

See? I wasn't making it up - real world example of "I don't mind being hosed right now because some day I'll be the one doing the loving."

Lol. gently caress you, gonna get mine......Someday. Maybe.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

cursedshitbox posted:

Explaining that the straight white working class man's childlike misunderstanding of the forces required to escape the atmosphere is 'dumb and wrong' is condescending

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love that Capitalism is supposed to be great but gutting the low/middle income completely ignores who largely makes up the purchasing power of a consumer oriented country.

Capitalism is great. When its regulated. But ilkhan still thinks that there is some magic ladder to climb out of poverty because of his anecdotal experience.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 7, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I also spent $january on getting the sills welded to pass the TÜV.

Then when pulling carpets I found the heater core's crapped itself. Yay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rdb posted:

I drove my car (well truck) to a new place today. Florida! 10 hours of hellish frozen roads and morons through KY, TN and AL.

At least you got through before the freeze tonight. People are going to be panicking.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

At least you got through before the freeze tonight. People are going to be panicking.

I learnt last year that the real problem in snow isn't your competence; it's the dangerous idiots you're sharing the road with

e: also, crikey, even 2x worn snow tyres are absolutely amazing compared to the typical cheap all-seasons people have

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 7, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BraveUlysses posted:

It's plainly obvious that the notion that minimum wage jobs are temporary jobs or not careers isn't remotely true

From literally day 1 it never was:

F.D.R. posted:

In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

From literally day 1 it never was:

I love that they sell the idea that everyone who works retail/fast food/service industry will, mysteriously, move on to better things. And that all these jobs can be filled by teens and college kids.

In a country that is almost entirely service industry driven now.

meltie posted:

I learnt last year that the real problem in snow isn't your competence; it's the dangerous idiots you're sharing the road with

e: also, crikey, even 2x worn snow tyres are absolutely amazing compared to the typical cheap all-seasons people have

:agreed: I worry about driving 30 miles to the office every day that someone is going to kill me on i-85 and i-285. Its notorious for being dangerous as hell. I've never had an accident since I started driving, but I just know someone will get me eventually. I'd rather ride MARTA into the city, but the nearest station is half-way to the office.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 7, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

:agreed: I worry about driving 30 miles to the office every day that someone is going to kill me on i-85 and i-285. Its notorious for being dangerous as hell. I've never had an accident since I started driving, but I just know someone will get me eventually

I guess this is a pretty euro question, but, could you live closer?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

CommieGIR posted:

The rain was starting to freeze to the trees between Birmingham and Montgomery.

Despite this, I watched some rear end in a newish Ford Edge camp in the left lane doing 62 next to a semi for at least 20 miles. It ended when he brake checked the car behind him and people started going by on the right. What a great time and shining example of humanity.

I do worry about the ice, I don't think salt trucks exist this far south. And we drive home on Sunday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meltie posted:

I guess this is a pretty euro question, but, could you live closer?

I could, but I build Audis as a hobby, and that's rather frowned upon downtown. And our public transportation is poo poo. We have an awesome light rail system, but it doesn't stretch out to the suburbs. And the for-profit system that runs locally in my county's answer is to just add more buses.

We bought our house this far to avoid Homeowners Associations and annoying rules.

rdb posted:

The rain was starting to freeze to the trees between Birmingham and Montgomery.

Despite this, I watched some rear end in a newish Ford Edge camp in the left lane doing 62 next to a semi for at least 20 miles. It ended when he brake checked the car behind him and people started going by on the right. What a great time and shining example of humanity.

I do worry about the ice, I don't think salt trucks exist this far south. And we drive home on Sunday.

Be safe dude. Yeah, no salt/sand trucks south of Tennessee.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Geoj posted:

Someone can understand why people do things without believing they'll be in that position, you know. In other situations it's called empathy. *If* I was in their shoes I'd do the same thing. I don't for a minute believe I will ever be in that position.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

I could, but I build Audis as a hobby, and that's rather frowned upon downtown. And our public transportation is poo poo. We have an awesome light rail system, but it doesn't stretch out to the suburbs. And the for-profit system that runs locally in my county's answer is to just add more buses.

Hmmmm. I'm gonna guess you're in... Fayetteville?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Someone can understand why people do things without believing they'll be in that position, you know. In other situations it's called empathy. *If* I was in their shoes I'd do the same thing. I don't for a minute believe I will ever be in that position.

And yet you do not empathize with low income workers, choosing instead to go "I bootstrapped myself out of that, why can't everyone do that. If they can't they don't deserve a livable wage"

meltie posted:

Hmmmm. I'm gonna guess you're in... Fayetteville?

Dacula (Lawrenceville)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

Dacula (Lawrenceville)

DAMNIT. Lawrenceville area was my second guess :)

e: what's Dacula (da-CUL-a?) like?

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 7, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meltie posted:

Still, I watched the latest one with the bagged minitruck in for a laugh.

Commandment II: Thou shalt not bag thy truck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geoj posted:

I bet you didn't even think about the feelings of people who don't believe in math or science before making this post. Typical condescending liberal.

Or its looking at the situation and going "well, yeah. I see why they did that. I would too."

No one is going to vote for you when they feel your policy is going to give everyone BUT them a benefit.

They don't see any of those policies helping them, because they're not aimed to them when described. Every social policy is explained as helping poor minorities, which they don't view themselves as.

Then the right comes in and adds fear to those same viewpoints, and it sets them in for life.

Maybe instead of having a large portion of the news they hear from the left yelling at them about white privilege, you spend some time pointing out how these same things have pushed them down.

I come from one of those poor as poo poo families, where after my dad died we got 800 a month in benefits from the railroad, my mom was too broken to work, and we loving suffered. And there were no programs to help us (loltexas) because that still put us above what the state said was okay to live on.

I spent most of my teens bitter as poo poo and hating those social programs, because they never loving helped me or my family. And it was never explained why NOT, just that it was the fault of other people why we were poor. It's a real loving easy road to fall down when you hear constantly why you're a piece of poo poo for being white, but you're poor as poo poo and have never seen those supposed benefits.

I got out of that mindset, thankfully, and out of that situation. But it wasn't because someone treated me like an idiot over it, it's because eventually someone actually laid poo poo out and spoke like a human being to me.

Echo chambers where everyone agrees don't help move discourse.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The biggest problem when trying to talk people out of the FYGM mindset is undoing the last 30 years of "The rich are your friend!" mindset that's been ingrained into everyone. The right has been extremely good at getting this message across over the past few decades, and it's no surprise. America LOVES it some Protestant work ethic. If you're not busting your rear end, you don't deserve success right?

I will never understand people who willingly screw themselves over for "The good of the company" though. The company sees you as expendable, and the loving nanosecond you can't make them money anymore, you're out the door. Doesn't matter how good you are with the boss, you're still just a replaceable cog in the machine. How to effectively break this mindset is a tricky one though, and I don't have all the answers. Trying to make people feel good about the work they do, and trying to get them to realize it has value helps though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah but that's a perception problem because whites are by and large always the highest percentage of those who collect social benefits because they obviously make up the majority of the population.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah but that's a perception problem because whites are by and large always the highest percentage of those who collect social benefits because they obviously make up the majority of the population.

Yeah, that's the fun part: The largest collectors and beneficiaries of social programs are poor whites. And they generally vote for people who are vocally against those programs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I was also visiting seattle recently, and ate a lot of fast food. Twice I had touch-screen menus to order from, with no worker to help. The guys who got let go when the min wage went up sure appreciate the higher wage they aren't earning.

See, I hate this argument because the math doesn't even remotely add up. A tablet to take orders for people who are in store is almost infinitely cheaper than any employee paid a wage better than a Foxconn factory worker. Business haven't failed miserably because of minimum wages in the $5-10 range, but I'd be utterly shocked if a tablet system cost more than $2/hr to own, operate, and repair as needed.

You're also talking about a task that doesn't even require a full time employee. I've never seen a fast food restaurant where the cashiers weren't also doing other tasks between orders.

Any restaurant owner with half a brain will jump on tablet ordering, and have the same employee count / hour count, with time spent more effectively on tasks that can't be automated yet.

I'm also legitimately interested in seeing any sort of real-world based math for how much of the price of a Double Double goes towards actual wages. In-N-Out has paid its staff well over minimum wages for as long as I can remember, and yet they still survive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Buy a newer safer car to commute in if you can afford it. It's one of the reasons I went from two older cars (96 and 97) to a newer one (2012). The amount of wrecks around here (urban FL) are ridiculous and I wanted my son to be in a safe car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Buy a newer safer car to commute in if you can afford it. It's one of the reasons I went from two older cars (96 and 97) to a newer one (2012). The amount of wrecks around here (urban FL) are ridiculous and I wanted my son to be in a safe car.

I bought one. For my wife and kid. When the wife finally got her license, I got her a Volvo XC70 with all the options, curtain airbags, etc. She loves it

I'm not getting into car payments right now for myself. My cars work, and I have a great driving safety record. I also can't afford car repairs I can't do myself. I can do everything to my Audis and my wife's Volvo.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 7, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Posting about politics tends to suck pretty hard so I try not to do it. Try not to let that poo poo into my house either. Participants either agree so the conversation accomplishes nothing or they're set in their ways and will never change views so the conversation accomplishes nothing.

In other news, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a super neat RC truck this weekend for Hanukkah so that's pretty cool. Everybody staying warm out there this winter?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

I bought one. For my wife and kid. When the wife finally got her license, I got her a Volvo XC70 with all the options, curtain airbags, etc. She loves it

I'm not getting into car payments right now for myself. My cars work, and I have a great driving safety record.

Fair enough, good call

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

I grew up around people that didnt believe in STEM. Needless to say, They arent my loving family any longer. Religion or "big brother" isnt even a loving valid god damned excuse. . I'd hope that the posters here have some cognitive ability to realize STEM is infact a real thing. Otherwise, IOC please ban me now. I have no loving reason to be here anymore.

Liberal? lolllllll. I'm for neither party.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Or its looking at the situation and going "well, yeah. I see why they did that. I would too."

No one is going to vote for you when they feel your policy is going to give everyone BUT them a benefit.

They don't see any of those policies helping them, because they're not aimed to them when described. Every social policy is explained as helping poor minorities, which they don't view themselves as.

Then the right comes in and adds fear to those same viewpoints, and it sets them in for life.

Maybe instead of having a large portion of the news they hear from the left yelling at them about white privilege, you spend some time pointing out how these same things have pushed them down.

I come from one of those poor as poo poo families, where after my dad died we got 800 a month in benefits from the railroad, my mom was too broken to work, and we loving suffered. And there were no programs to help us (loltexas) because that still put us above what the state said was okay to live on.

I spent most of my teens bitter as poo poo and hating those social programs, because they never loving helped me or my family. And it was never explained why NOT, just that it was the fault of other people why we were poor. It's a real loving easy road to fall down when you hear constantly why you're a piece of poo poo for being white, but you're poor as poo poo and have never seen those supposed benefits.

I got out of that mindset, thankfully, and out of that situation. But it wasn't because someone treated me like an idiot over it, it's because eventually someone actually laid poo poo out and spoke like a human being to me.

Echo chambers where everyone agrees don't help move discourse.

This all of this. Like it or not, globalization and free trade has absolutely hosed the lower middle class and nobody on the left seems to have a solution to that much less give a single gently caress. I can see how people have basically had almost everything stripped away from them and then are told they are too privileged for benefits or a helping hand get cynical and distrusting of the side that constantly brow beats them. When you're constantly getting hosed and there's no real solution provided by either side all you have is dreams of becoming rich. I get why the guy making minimum wage says he's going to be a millionaire in 5 years, its because that's the only thing that lets him fall asleep at night.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I grew up around people that didnt believe in STEM. Needless to say, They arent my loving family any longer Religion or "big brother" isnt even a loving valid god damned excuse. . I'd hope that the posters here have some cognitive ability to realize STEM is infact a real thing. Otherwise, IOC please ban me now. I have no loving reason to be here anymore.

You know how I feel about STEM.

1500quidporsche posted:

This all of this. Like it or not, globalization and free trade has absolutely hosed the lower middle class and nobody on the left seems to have a solution to that much less give a single gently caress. I can see how people have basically had almost everything stripped away from them and then are told they are too privileged for benefits or a helping hand get cynical and distrusting of the side that constantly brow beats them.

How is isolationism going to make this better? Like companies are suddenly going to grow a heart and pay a worthwhile wage if we shut the borders? The solution is a living wage, that' it. the problem is companies spending more than 5-10% of their total revenue on upper management salaries. Its usually more than R&D and Marketing get combined.

We KNOW the solution to the problem. The reason this won't happen has already been posted: lovely Protestant Work Ethics enforced by a generation that had a ladder they could climb from the bottom, a ladder that is now burned and gone in favor of boosting revenue at the costs of employees salaries and benefits.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 7, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

I will never understand people who willingly screw themselves over for "The good of the company" though. The company sees you as expendable, and the loving nanosecond you can't make them money anymore, you're out the door. Doesn't matter how good you are with the boss, you're still just a replaceable cog in the machine. How to effectively break this mindset is a tricky one though, and I don't have all the answers. Trying to make people feel good about the work they do, and trying to get them to realize it has value helps though.

Potentially double posting because phone.

I think this is a holdover from Boomers and Greatest Generation thinking. Our parents and their parents could reasonably expect to get a college degree, get in with a company, and work a solid career there while getting solid benefits and actual retirement investments. Even though the company probably would gently caress them over given the chance, there was still a perception of loyalty having benefits.

Now, that perception is a myth at best.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Terminus Est posted:

As the proud owner of a beat to poo poo 85 300D, what size wheels and tires you running on that magnificent wagon?

The wheels are 14x5.5 and I think offset is 30. They're the super light alloy wheels with steel wheel style cutouts they put on some w123 240ds. You can put hubcaps on them too. I like them because they weigh nothing and you can tell the cashier at junkyard that they're steel and get them for dirt.

Tires are General Grabber AT2 27x8.5R14LT. They don't rub at all.

Bonus photo from after my (5-mile, flat) commute yesterday morning that was through a foot of fresh powder in the unplowed parts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

I grew up around people that didnt believe in STEM. Needless to say, They arent my loving family any longer. Religion or "big brother" isnt even a loving valid god damned excuse. . I'd hope that the posters here have some cognitive ability to realize STEM is infact a real thing. Otherwise, IOC please ban me now. I have no loving reason to be here anymore.

Without STEM, none of our cars would work.

Or as the case may be, they'd be even more broken. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

GermanCars.txt

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

See, I hate this argument because the math doesn't even remotely add up. A tablet to take orders for people who are in store is almost infinitely cheaper than any employee paid a wage better than a Foxconn factory worker. Business haven't failed miserably because of minimum wages in the $5-10 range, but I'd be utterly shocked if a tablet system cost more than $2/hr to own, operate, and repair as needed.

You're also talking about a task that doesn't even require a full time employee. I've never seen a fast food restaurant where the cashiers weren't also doing other tasks between orders.

Any restaurant owner with half a brain will jump on tablet ordering, and have the same employee count / hour count, with time spent more effectively on tasks that can't be automated yet.

I'm also legitimately interested in seeing any sort of real-world based math for how much of the price of a Double Double goes towards actual wages. In-N-Out has paid its staff well over minimum wages for as long as I can remember, and yet they still survive.

In N Out is basically how the right pitches every single business if they had their way.

Small, private, family owned (and super religious) and benefits the workers as well as owners.

It would never hold true, but examples like that get held up a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Without STEM, none of our cars would work.

Exactly!!!

Diesel merc guy. start a thread. like now.

E: I'm going back to ignoring the chat thread. this really angries up my old blood.

• Locked thread