Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't know what you mean about Hot Shot and Smokescreen; Hot Shot's faults as a toy were memetic for older fans, but his axelzooka and Smokescreen's cannon were two of the better implemented action features in my eyes because they were two of them that stood out. And if we're including anecotes, when my little sister was a kid and I let her play with some of my Transformers, one of her favorite things in the whole line was Scavenger's stomping gimmicks.

Looking at most action figures, posability doesn't really seem to be as essential as adult fans make it out to be? I mean. Throughout the years, outside of collector's lines, most toys seemed to include shoulder and leg movement on average and anything else is less universal. It's something that becomes more and more common the more collector oriented a line gets. I'm not saying your tastes or the tastes you had as a kid are wrong, I'm just speculating on why, for all the criticism it got, kids did seem to go for Armada.

If anything, this conversation has made me realize how GREAT a Titans Return Demolishor would be. Shame he doesn't have the star power to be a leader, he'd be a good candidate for someone with a base mode, going off of his old turret form.

I totally get why Armada was popular with kids (I'm sure the bright and shiny anime shows helped boost sales after Beast Machines since RiD was surprisingly popular IIRC) and I'm sure other toylines get by with less far more often, but for me at least the fact that Transformers went one better than the rest almost universally for so long is part of what made them so awesome. Hasbro seems to have shunted that sort of more gimmick-focused design philosophy toward the younger sublines which I think are great in their own right for what they are and totally makes sense to me. Part of what made Armada frustrating is how often you'd get figures that were almost pretty cool hampered into bricks by the action features, so I'd love to see Titans Return recolours of some kind of those characters. I love Generations Armada Starscream too, he even still had Minicon ports!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I will admit, I snatched up this one custom someone did of Generations Scoop into Armada Scavenger that someone did like it was going out of style. But then I just want new incarnations of these characters in some fashion.

Like, RiD and Armada? They were my G1. The series that made me a Transfan. For all their faults they'll always have a special place in my heart.

Also Armada Starscream is the best incarnation of the character and I will fight anyone about that :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

The KO Toyworld Throttlebot torso went up on Sirtoys so I bought that and went ahead and shipped my order.

Mother of God do I have a lot of plastic coming my way.

wait...it doesn't look like he comes with the combiner parts, does he?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Beast Machines should have been big, if for no other reason than for us to get TransTech later on. A lot of the Beast Wars dudes were shellformers, and then you take the Beast Machines and they're way cooler than "just" turning into an ordinary cartoon cheetah or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
beast machines loving sucked in every conceivable way

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

This toy is so elusive
A PlanetSteel exclusive

3PMP import
Bootleg of the in-store
OF THE IN-STORE YEAH!

This is the beast of the B-sides
I had to order him online!
I got the Reprolabels on fine!
This is the beast of the B-sides!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

beast machines loving sucked in every conceivable way

Cheetor's toy's legs sucked, but that's all I'll budge on.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Keldroc posted:

It really wasn't. Devastator held together with tabs and pegs, at least. Puzzler held together with hope and optimism. Hey, let's have the entire top half of the robot rest precariously on the police car's thin plastic lightbar assembly! Surely this won't lead to the piece snapping in half or the weight of the three robots balancing on top of it falling off if you even move the thing slightly. To say nothing of the complete lack of any dedicated locking hole mechanism for the arms to peg into or reliable friction for them to stay up in poses. The leg connectors worked okay if you held the tabs for the heads in place so they didn't just get pushed back down into the robot body, but that's a pretty low bar.

G1 Devastator's not great, but I'm pretty sure Puzzler's name refers to the combiner's design choices. And of course the Scramble City stuff is head and shoulders above any GoBot combiner attempts.

GoBots' strengths were the variety of alt modes, the Super GoBot line, and the base playsets. Metroplex and Trypticon were cool and all, but they were no GoBot Command Center and Thruster.

I have my copy of Puzzler sitting next to me, and it fits together pretty well. Might have just gotten lucky or something. :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WickedHate posted:

Cheetor's toy's legs sucked, but that's all I'll budge on.

You have horrific taste. Every single design in beast machines that is not a vehicon is trash garbage in every conceivable way. Enjoy your emo batboy.

I had all of the toys, i got them in a big bin for 30 bucks. Every single animal one was awful.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BM Rattrap is pretty cool and I enjoy (with reservations, and only paying 30 bux) Air Attack Primal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

wait...it doesn't look like he comes with the combiner parts, does he?

Nope. They'll be releasing just box of the combiner bits in the near future.

So I have incoming

Citizen Stack
Oversized Weij Jiang Combiner Wars Defensor
Oversized Warbotron Bruticus
TransFromMission Carnage
Energon Optimus Prime (found an in box one for a loving steal)
5 Oversized Machine Boy Legends
WJ OS RID Strongarm

And whatever else I run across while shopping.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

why are you getting Stack

he's almost comically obsolete

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

Nope. They'll be releasing just box of the combiner bits in the near future.
drat.

let me know when they put'em out I guess :v:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Same reason he buys most of this stuff

cheap

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Spiderdrake posted:

Same reason he buys most of this stuff

cheap

It was hilariously cheap.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Captain Invictus posted:

You have horrific taste. Every single design in beast machines that is not a vehicon is trash garbage in every conceivable way. Enjoy your emo batboy.

I had all of the toys, i got them in a big bin for 30 bucks. Every single animal one was awful.

I like some of them but I like things that are ugly weird and different. Like everything is so focus grouped and safe these days that something that tried to be itself and ended up failing but is at least true to itself. Sometimes ugly things are worth seeing and are valuable, I want to appreciate them.
And I like "spiritual" stories.

It's still all terrible and not worth watching for most people but it tried, it was a story bob skir wanted to tell with these hideous designs he loved, and I can't hold it against it.

And it really pains me not to know what transtech was going to be, I know that tfc or someone did transtech comics or text stories but the snippets I saw on the wiki one 3am looked like typical lovely fanfic placing far more importance on knowing the g1 cartoon continuity and lovIng it over things like emotions or stories or entertaining anyone and fuuuuuuuuuuuck thaaaaat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

It was hilariously cheap.

how cheap?

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I had a pretty decent mix of G1 and Gobots when I was little. I didn't care that they weren't "real" transformers and I just randomly assigned each dude to either Autobots or Decepticons since I didn't know who was supposed to be good or bad. Every single one of the Gobots broke.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Hilariously.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I've been pullin out some old toys (the usual Animated Rodimus - still awesome, etc) and Beast Hunters voyager OP is a criminally underrated toy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

DoctorWhat posted:

I own Stack and the MP, it's a wash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

$65 shipped. Should be here Monday.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I own Stack and the MP, it's a wash.

Points for Stack:
  • Waist Swivel
  • Better outward shoulder movement
  • No buttflap

Points for MP-22:
  • Screen accuracy (face, proportions, etc)
  • Follows a sculpt/deco aesthetic that matches other MPs
  • No weird collar for no reason
  • Ratcheting hips
  • No partsforming for shoulder missiles
  • Better transformation, including the elimination of sliders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll buy MP-22 when they KO him.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Also I know most people don't care, but the official MP Magnus is also one hefty motherfucker. When you pick him up, he just feels awesome.

There's just some tactile things I really like in my robots, like when they're thick and have some heft. Or if they have clickly ratchet joints. Oh man, I love clicky ratchet joints.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm not usually a big fan of die-cast because lots of times it's just this cargo-cult thing and it ends up dragging figures down (like how SOC GaoGaiGar has diecast in his FOREARMS for no conceivable reason that causes his shoulders to slump) but man oh man MP22 has a great weight distribution.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

$65 shipped. Should be here Monday.

You should have left it an unsolved mystery.

I'm with you, What, Die-cast should only be used to stabilize or reinforce.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A lot of the OS AOE Autobots had variants with die cast and in some cases the weight caused stress and breakage on the bots.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not usually a big fan of die-cast because lots of times it's just this cargo-cult thing and it ends up dragging figures down (like how SOC GaoGaiGar has diecast in his FOREARMS for no conceivable reason that causes his shoulders to slump) but man oh man MP22 has a great weight distribution.

Well die cast metal in forearms is dumb, but when it's in the legs its good because it weighs them down and helps with stability.

Things like die cast metal and chrome plating are good when used properly and appropriately. You remember those Takara Henkei figures that often looked stupid because they would chrome parts seemingly at random? Chrome is good when used for things like bumpers and hubcaps that are actually supposed to be chrome.

You remember the Titanium line of Transformers? They are among some of the worst ever made and were almost entirely made from metal, which is a no-no. That, and they were solely designed by galoob and not the usual team who had actual experience with Transformers.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I hate all chrome because it is so, so vulnerable to chipping. The worst thing about MP-10 is that he has chrome.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

DoctorWhat posted:

BM Rattrap is pretty cool and I enjoy (with reservations, and only paying 30 bux) Air Attack Primal.

Teeeeeeechnically Air Attack Primal was an RiD toy.

Brought to you by the Federation To Never Say Anything Nice About Beast Machines.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Teeeeeeechnically Air Attack Primal was an RiD toy.

Brought to you by the Federation To Never Say Anything Nice About Beast Machines.

It was a BM toy released under RID after the BM line was cut short (for being bad).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I like some of them but I like things that are ugly weird and different. Like everything is so focus grouped and safe these days that something that tried to be itself and ended up failing but is at least true to itself. Sometimes ugly things are worth seeing and are valuable, I want to appreciate them.
And I like "spiritual" stories.

It's still all terrible and not worth watching for most people but it tried, it was a story bob skir wanted to tell with these hideous designs he loved, and I can't hold it against it.

And it really pains me not to know what transtech was going to be, I know that tfc or someone did transtech comics or text stories but the snippets I saw on the wiki one 3am looked like typical lovely fanfic placing far more importance on knowing the g1 cartoon continuity and lovIng it over things like emotions or stories or entertaining anyone and fuuuuuuuuuuuck thaaaaat

The Club TransTech stories are multiversal ones where people all the various continuities are dumped into a city where offworlders are second class citizens to the more "advanced" locals. It's really more of a huge melting pot type of thing, and has about as much to do with the G1 cartoon as it does anything else.

I mean I'm not saying they're good, but one of them is about the eHobby Go-Bots. You can't get further away from the G1 cartoon than that.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

It was a BM toy released under RID after the BM line was cut short (for being bad).

At least the acronym is accurate.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

At least the acronym is accurate.

easy, 18-year-old joke, but yeah

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

easy, 18-year-old joke, but yeah

Beast Machines deserves no better.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Beast Machines is "bad" because it's a lovely sequel to a great show. It did lame things to fun, lovable characters that a generation of kids were growing up with while having genuinely bugfuck weird looking character designs whose toys didn't even resemble the show that was meant to sell them 90% of the time. It ended the only real good era of televised Transformers stories in a really disappointing way and no matter what positives the show or it's toyline brought to the table these things will always quite rightly leave a bad taste in the mouths of the people who remember it.

But after a decade of brain-meltingly stupid anime dubs followed by the impossible fever dreams that are the Bay films (and to a much less negative extent, the fact that everything else has been G1G1G1), it's so much easier to appreciate the Weird poo poo of Beast Machines. The overall ambiance of Cybertron and the musical score were fantastic and I don't think the TFs' homeworld has been rendered as interestingly in any medium since, the ending of the last episode excepted of course. And while I totally think that Skir and anyone else involved with the writing dropped the ball pretty badly, it was interesting seeing Transformers try to tackle transhumanist stuff. Some of the Maximal figures were cool, especially the Vehicons; without those guys I don't think I would have appreciated the better Bayformers toy designs years later.

I was born in 87, so basically as much as I love the retro late-80's nostalgia funzone that HasTak has been happy to have we manchildren wallow in as much as the rest of you guys even *I'm* ready for something else to get referenced like Armada recolours to mix things up a bit. I really appreciated Generations Tankor even if his subsequent inclusion in the IDWverse makes no sense, anyway "lol BM has no positive things about it" is a stale joke excuse me while I preorder more nu-headmasters

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I would love to throw this son of a gun into contention of what combiner sucks most.

Good ole Rail Racer, the bot mods are decent, the alt modes are absolutely amazing and the combiner mode is just a hot pile of garbage. My G1 Devy was easier to assemble and holds together better and has better pose ability, I like to keep Rail Racer combined to remind me that not every big/combiner is going to be awesome just because it is a miss match of great robots.

Edit: Rogun is my favorite low effort Go Bot ever, he is the part of Megatron's that family that never gets talked about or invited to family reunions.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Gentlemen I think it's time that we finally compile the definitive list of good BM toys. Leaving show, character, etc out of it, I consider these to be Good Transformer Toys:

Rattrap
Air Attack Primal
Blast Punch Primal
Blackarachnia
Motorcycle Drone
Tank Drone
Battle Unicorn
Beast Changer
That little hammerhead shark dude

What say you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU