Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Max posted:

If you're interested in the cooperative questing mechanic but not married to the theme, I would actually suggest AH over LOTR at the moment. AH is new so you won't have to drop a poo poo load of money all at once, and you can keep up with it's development.

To be fair, you can buy the LOTR stuff at your own pace, since it's co-op and therefore there isn't a competitive meta to keep up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

To be fair, you can buy the LOTR stuff at your own pace, since it's co-op and therefore there isn't a competitive meta to keep up with.

Yeah but not really.

PJOmega posted:

Yeah, but that requires nerds with fiscal accountability and impulse control.

Max fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 6, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dexefiend posted:

I totally see myself buying all the Lord of the Rings stuff now...

Thanks a lot, goons.
:retrogames:

How much do you need? I have a pretty big lot of 1x core and first two cycles and both Hobbit Saga boxes for sale for a good price.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm aiming at an awfully tight window. If the Dunwich Horror box set is supposed to drop on the 12th, what's the expected time for it to be in retailer hands?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Depending on your FLGS, the 12th. I remember the AH core set arrived at mine on the release day.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PJOmega posted:

I'm aiming at an awfully tight window. If the Dunwich Horror box set is supposed to drop on the 12th, what's the expected time for it to be in retailer hands?

Even if they get it before the 12th, selling it before street date is asking to get hosed over. More specifically though, whenever the UPS/Fed Ex guy gets there.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Man there are some...interesting prices for LotR LCG packs. Just saw a copy of Watcher in the Water for the princely sum of £999.11 :stare:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

S.J. posted:

Even if they get it before the 12th, selling it before street date is asking to get hosed over. More specifically though, whenever the UPS/Fed Ex guy gets there.

I wasn't looking to break street date, so thanks I suppose? Was more wondering if the 12th was the ship-to-retailer date or the expected street date.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

I wasn't looking to break street date, so thanks I suppose? Was more wondering if the 12th was the ship-to-retailer date or the expected street date.

For a lot of stores (mine included) it is often both. Sometimes we'll get FFG product a day or two before the street date, other times it will show up on the street date. There's no rhyme or reason for it other than FFG distribution is not great.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

This can of course vary across the globe, but nowadays (since the asmodee merger) it seems like the distributors hold the products in stock and only ships it to retailers the day before FFGs intended street date, whereas prior it used to be intended street date +- 2 weeks.

PJOmega posted:

If there was as much content for AH as there is for LOTR I would order everything straight away :getin:

Zerf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 6, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think i have dodged the LOTR bullet for now. However, if my innaugural AH game night turns into a monthly thing... I might need a second game, right?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PJOmega posted:

That wasn't an accusation, I was just being thorough in my response.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

For a lot of stores (mine included) it is often both. Sometimes we'll get FFG product a day or two before the street date, other times it will show up on the street date. There's no rhyme or reason for it other than FFG distribution is not great.

Do they still do the thing where stores can only order a certain number of LCG packs? My local had to buy Netrunner packs from other stores since FFG would only distribute 6 per store and there were vastly more people than that who actually played Netrunner.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Do they still do the thing where stores can only order a certain number of LCG packs? My local had to buy Netrunner packs from other stores since FFG would only distribute 6 per store and there were vastly more people than that who actually played Netrunner.

We've been ordering LCG poo poo for a hot minute and I've never even heard of this.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I think i have dodged the LOTR bullet for now. However, if my innaugural AH game night turns into a monthly thing... I might need a second game, right?

From what I've seen around other fourms playing with one core set makes everything much much harder to the point where harder difficulties and later scenarios are outright impossible supposedly

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MikeCrotch posted:

They do have limited stock of each release and they do tend to "tier" their retailers so that the biggest ones get the most. They do this across the board for all products. Sometimes this creates shortages.

...like pretty much every distributor ever.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Actually I think it might have been a UK thing since we have our own distributor. And it wasn't a size thing, it was "you want netrunner, you get 6 packs. No ifs no buts."

Getting those early netrunner packs was kind of a pain in the rear end I tell ya.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Man there are some...interesting prices for LotR LCG packs. Just saw a copy of Watcher in the Water for the princely sum of £999.11 :stare:

Don't ever look on Amazon. Look on Boardgameguru and buy entire cycles twice a year instead of packs monthly. If you do this you'll end up getting free shipping, near as drat.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I also recommend getting opaque sleeves and not being afraid to try proxying. They don't look bad with my amateur color printer and it helps if you don't want to get another core set for 3 cards, or if one stupid pack is missing for half a year. I have multiple core sets so I just use the extra encounter cards plus a sheet of photo paper whenever I need to.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Stores definitely get certain allotments of products, especially when it comes to FFG.

e.g. When the TIE Striker, U-Wing, and Star Wars Destiny product came out last month, stores were allotted a certain amount of product at the distribution level because of the high demand for the products. My store honestly would have bought out one of our distributor's entire Destiny allotment if we could have, but they (understandably) capped us at a certain amount. We ended up not getting an allotment for the TIE Striker and U-Wing because distribution was so messed up on those two items.

Also note that if your local store is in the US and is buying product from other stores, they should be very, very careful. Asmodee NA specifies in their licensing agreement that stores cannot sub-distribute to other stores/individuals with intent to distribute product, and so that could put your store and the store from which they're buying at risk of losing their entire Asmodee license. I don't know if it applies to stores in the UK (doubtful), but they should be wary nonetheless. It's one of the unfortunate effects of Asmodee's grabbing up publishers across the board.

Anyway, sorry for the boring store chat. More on-topic, for anyone who didn't watch the Team Covenant Dunwich Legaxy unboxing video, FFG has posted a preview of the upcoming new investigators.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Ashcan Pete looks like a fun design, really looking forward to him the most I think. Jenny looks like poop, shat from a butt

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ashcan Pete looks like a fun design, really looking forward to him the most I think. Jenny looks like poop, shat from a butt

That is where poop usually comes from IIRC.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
While Pete is probably the one new investigator I'm most eager to try, he seems kind of scary to play in that with no way to pull Duke out of the discard pile, he can get shut down real hard. I mean, if you draw Paranoia as your weakness, you're pretty set up to fail.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

With the impending expansion release is it still wise to get a second core set or does having the cards from the expansion fix the issues having only one core set presents?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Welp.

I just bought The Treason of Saruman and The Grey Havens at 50% off. Guess I am playing LotRLCG!

Bottom Liner posted:

How much do you need? I have a pretty big lot of 1x core and first two cycles and both Hobbit Saga boxes for sale for a good price.

How do i contact you? I need an email address that doesnt have my name in it...

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 6, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The Peter Sylvestre card looks really good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Welp.

I just bought The Treason of Saruman and The Grey Havens at 50% off. Guess I am playing LotRLCG!

How do i contact you? I need an email address that doesnt have my name in it...

defeldus gmail

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sloober posted:

please don't colostomy-shame

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I must be missing what makes Jim Culver's box text good. Especially the second part, of auto success becoming a 0 skull. Anyone have some insight?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
No if I'm reading it right, the modifier on a skull is a 0 instead of the bad stuff it usually is.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

theroachman posted:

No if I'm reading it right, the modifier on a skull is a 0 instead of the bad stuff it usually is.

Yeah, you basically change a couple of -2/-3 tokens for +0. Not a bad deal, although you still deal with the added effect.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Sloober posted:

YMMV...

Jim Culver's ability significantly increases the number of good draws available in the bag. Remember he can also run two copies of Grotesque Statue, which combined with the skulls substantially boosts your control over ol' Lady Luck.

Am I correct in thinking 'treat skull tokens as 0' means you ignore any scenario specific rules for them and instead treat them exactly as if they were just a 0 tile?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Skull equalling zero is, like the others have said, a few less negative tokens in the bag - a small buff to every single test you'll be making.

The Elder Sign switcheroo is there to keep triggering his signature trumpet, while a zero result is usually good enough for whatever you were trying to achieve in the first place.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jim is really good. Consistency in a game like this is extremely powerful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just played a ridiculous 2h 4p melee game of GoT that I think killed all my interest in Melee. Board wipe after board wipe after board wipe and someone was playing Kings of Winter so that made it extra difficult to crawl back from the Valars and First Snows. It didn't help that the lineup was Tyrell big money (who just sorta got assed on character draws), Martell Rains for the Long Plan/Valar combo, me as Baratheon/NW to control out The Wall, and Lannister/Winter. Holy poo poo that was a slog.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Obama 2012 posted:

Am I correct in thinking 'treat skull tokens as 0' means you ignore any scenario specific rules for them and instead treat them exactly as if they were just a 0 tile?
No. You treat the modifier as 0, but it's still a skull.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

The Elder Sign switcheroo is there to keep triggering his signature trumpet, while a zero result is usually good enough for whatever you were trying to achieve in the first place.

Thank you, hadn't seen his trumpet.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
In addition, I think Jim wants to play 2xRitual Candles. Having a Skull change from -2 or so to +1/+2 seems awesome. Add Grotesque Statue and you have a really good chance at successful tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I just played a ridiculous 2h 4p melee game of GoT that I think killed all my interest in Melee. Board wipe after board wipe after board wipe and someone was playing Kings of Winter so that made it extra difficult to crawl back from the Valars and First Snows. It didn't help that the lineup was Tyrell big money (who just sorta got assed on character draws), Martell Rains for the Long Plan/Valar combo, me as Baratheon/NW to control out The Wall, and Lannister/Winter. Holy poo poo that was a slog.

Just like MtG, melee games are poo poo.