Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
*posts on a site with a paywall and donations about how much i hate paywalls and donations*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

ol yeller posted:

*posts on a site with a paywall and donations about how much i hate paywalls and donations*

I'd be okay with like a $20 one time fee for all the paywalled stuff, I mostly hate time limits

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
They were too proud to ask for donations as a network, and the accepted culture was to actively discourage listeners from making that jump themselves. Podcasts are cheap to produce and build relatively small but dedicated fanbases. They are perfectly suited for the Patreon model, and I'm glad that The Best Show appears to be off to a good start by switching over to it.

Does anyone want to guess how long the 'ad-free archive' will last? It's clear the hosts are not in control of their own content, so I think ad-free will last for about two years before the parent company figure out how to do insert ads on old episodes.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I wonder if Earwolf's donation drive would have done better through Patreon for recurring donations versus the seeming emphasis on onetime donations.

The Dollop, which is underloved here, also has a viable Patreon.

Maybe it just works better at the individual show scale which would mean there'd still have to be a central entity running the studio.

edit: efb

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Important thing about the earwolf donations: they went to earwolf to buy new equipment & pay staff and stuff. The show you donated to didn't get any of it. Which might explain why none of them gave a crap about it & didn't promote it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ol yeller posted:

and the paywall doesnt even keep out trolls!!!!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The funniest thing about the paywall was scott trying to say it's actually better for new listeners because it's harder to get into a show when all the episodes are available

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Best Show just ditched advertising for a patreon and it seems to be making way more money

Seems to be does not mean is. There is no commitment for people to keep giving Tom Patreon money year over year, or even month to month.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The incentive is it's not worth the hassle of going and ungiving your $5 a month.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Seems to be does not mean is. There is no commitment for people to keep giving Tom Patreon money year over year, or even month to month.

Well I think Best Show is in a pretty unique spot for this coming from his WFMU days. Patreon is just the modern platform for your old school community radio funddrives. If you make great stuff that brings joy to people's lives, they'll throw you five bucks a month. But I think people feel more inclined to give when it's to a non-commercial cause, like NPR or paying rent on the Chapo mansion. Who would want to donate money to a business?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The dumb thing is I pay $5/mo or whatever to Howl. If they set up Patreons for the individual shows I'd easily give $5/mo each to a few.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Work Friend Keven posted:

As far as I can tell, speaking as a dumbass retard who doesnt know anything and likes to stir up trouble, you'd generally make more money under the chapo trap house / uuhhh yeah dude begging for money model than the earwolf model, for a given # of regular listeners.

feedmyleg posted:

The dumb thing is I pay $5/mo or whatever to Howl. If they set up Patreons for the individual shows I'd easily give $5/mo each to a few.

I ain't giving poo poo to howl but I would pay $5 a month for four extra episodes of HH like the chapo model

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think reading squarespace and blue apron ad copy paid 20 grand per month

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
That Die Hard commentary Gabrus put up was pretty funny up to the part where he get's wings delivered and they sit in silence eating while watching the movie.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Drunkboxer posted:

That Die Hard commentary Gabrus put up was pretty funny up to the part where he get's wings delivered and they sit in silence eating while watching the movie.

I like in the power hour & food episodes of his show the eventual devolve into 10 minutes of people burping and chewing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drunkboxer posted:

I very much respect what Gabrus has done for the art of making a podcast.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drunkboxer posted:

Aww, I was saving that episode until I could sit down and sync it up with the movie but now maybe I won't. How far in does that happen?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm pretty sure he can polish off a plate of wings pretty quickly.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I started listening to that ep while playing diablo 3 and stopped and watched the entire movie die hard instead. I did NOT get to the part where the wings arrive.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I hadn't watched die hard in a couple of years, so I synced it up and it was good, wings part aside (they're not chewing into the mics or anything, it was just kind of a dead spot)

that said, I wouldn't recommend it at all unless you're watching the movie

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I listened while driving and it was like I could see the movie in my mind. No detail left unsaid

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

padijun posted:

I hadn't watched die hard in a couple of years, so I synced it up and it was good, wings part aside (they're not chewing into the mics or anything, it was just kind of a dead spot)

that said, I wouldn't recommend it at all unless you're watching the movie

Yeah I posted that in the lull, and it wasn't too bad since you can just chill and watch Die Hard I guess. It does pick up after they finish eating, but it's for sure a turning point, the first hour or so is funnier. It's still a crazy thing to happen during a video commentary.

GoutPatrol posted:

I listened while driving and it was like I could see the movie in my mind. No detail left unsaid

Dear Die Hard,

You rock. Especially when that guy asked if these were parmesan garlic wings. P.S. Do you know what flavors of LaCroix John Gemberling has?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Work Friend Keven posted:

Due to how the earwolf deals are structured, that very likely means Scott no longer owns his own back catalogue or the name comedy bang bang. Lol.

lmao

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Extremely good teaser freezer in hollywood handbook today

idk who will greenberg is

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Don't know either but he was a pretty good guest.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Hayes and Sean are going to be in-studio tonight on The Best Show.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Bunk posted:

Hayes and Sean are going to be in-studio tonight on The Best Show.

oh yeah baby

e: and Julie Klausner too

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

oh yeah baby

e: and Julie Klausner too

corker incoming

beeman
May 7, 2008

great ep of hh, and the the boys being on best show with klausner is the icing on the cake :discourse:

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Extremely good teaser freezer in hollywood handbook today

idk who will greenberg is

hes stan halen

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Earwolf seems like it's bad, get cbb and hh to join maxfun, and then have the McElroys guest

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It took me a while to realize they were reviewing a new teaser, not The King of Comedy from the 70s.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

It took me a while to realize they were reviewing a new teaser, not The King of Comedy from the 70s.

Di Niro is on some kind of quest to self-parody all his most loved roles. Analyze This/That for his gangster movies, Grudge Match for Raging Bull and now I guess this for The King of Comedy. I predict his last movie with be an adaptation of Crazy Taxi.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mary Holland, Jessica McKenna, & Gabrus on I4H. I very much approve of this lineup.
e: that toilet scene was perfection.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 12, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, great ep. I4H has been on a roll lately.

beeman
May 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/hannibalburess/status/819664179527385090

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess they could have done a better job promoting it since I either never knew or forgot that he had an Earwolf podcast.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It would probably help if they redesigned their front page because they have way too many podcasts for the way it's currently formatted I think

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I completely forgot Gilbert Gottfried has an Earwolf podcast. It seems to be doing...not so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeman
May 7, 2008

just the idea of listening to gottfried's voice every week

i am a fan, but geez