Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

A sandwich with ham instead of bread.

Wouldn't that be...a hamburger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Never not post sockchuterie

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ham is your life now idiot

http://www.clickhole.com/article/new-era-donald-trump-just-whispered-hope-you-make--5155

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I would gladly trade not ever being able to eat bacon again for never having to hear about bacon again.

Sriracha too, but that's not a sacrifice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Eifert Posting posted:

I would gladly trade not ever being able to eat bacon again for never having to hear about bacon again.

Sriracha too, but that's not a sacrifice.

It would just be replaced by salt pork and tabasco nerds. I can hear it now. WENDY'S NEW BAYOU CAPTAIN! TWO OAK BARREL AGED SLAMISIANA SEASONED BEEF PATTIES TOPPED WITH THE FRANCH NAYVAY'S FINEST CRISPY FRIED SALT PORK ON A BRIOCHE BUN. NOW JUST 6.99 WITH A LARGE TABASCO SMOKED SALT FRIES AND A DRANK. FRESH NEVER FROZEN WENDY'S KWALI-TAY IS ARE RECCI-PAY

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

It would just be replaced by salt pork and tabasco nerds. I can hear it now. WENDY'S NEW BAYOU CAPTAIN! TWO OAK BARREL AGED SLAMISIANA SEASONED BEEF PATTIES TOPPED WITH THE FRANCH NAYVAY'S FINEST CRISPY FRIED SALT PORK ON A BRIOCHE BUN. NOW JUST 6.99 WITH A LARGE TABASCO SMOKED SALT FRIES AND A DRANK. FRESH NEVER FROZEN WENDY'S KWALI-TAY IS ARE RECCI-PAY

This is what triggering feels like isn't it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

This is what triggering feels like isn't it?

Here's the control so you can tell for sure.

:btroll: : I'll have my seared tuna steak served well done.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Here's the control so you can tell for sure.

:btroll: : I'll have my seared tuna steak served well done.

Bad comparison. Bacon and Sriracha faddishness is silly and irritating, but destroying a good piece of fresh tuna would make me irrationally, psychotically angry.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Suspect Bucket posted:

TABASCO SMOKED SALT FRIES

Well I think I know my next project.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hearing someone ask for a tuna steak well done is the only thing in the world that will cause me to turn around in my seat and proselytize to a complete stranger.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have found my taste for bacon to been waning over the last few years. I am getting old and all, but it has started to just taste overwhelmingly salty most of the time.

I will still eat pretzels till my gums bleed, so idk what the bacon issue is.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I think the "bacon on donuts" thing is one of the worst things to come out of current food trends... I'm not above mixed sweet and savory, but ugh, bacon on a donut, no thanks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Thinking more on it, is "nitrate free" bacon loaded up with more salt? I have never looked into the process but they have to get the stuff cured somehow.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Eifert Posting posted:

Hearing someone ask for a tuna steak well done is the only thing in the world that will cause me to turn around in my seat and proselytize to a complete stranger.

I don't care how wrong someone may be, that's just poor manners.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

Thinking more on it, is "nitrate free" bacon loaded up with more salt? I have never looked into the process but they have to get the stuff cured somehow.

"Nitrate free" bacon has a shitload of nitrates from celery juice.

It's annoying because it's an inferior product marketed to idiots.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hahah holy poo poo I just got so full of smugness I might have to cut my boots off.

That is loving amazing.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I think the "bacon on donuts" thing is one of the worst things to come out of current food trends... I'm not above mixed sweet and savory, but ugh, bacon on a donut, no thanks.

My local donut place does a bacon maple bar and it's my favorite loving thing :o: and it's odd because otherwise I generally don't like stuff like that like chocolate covered pretzels.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Squashy Nipples posted:

you seem pretty upset about a thing being on top of another thing

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you seem pretty upset about a thing being on top of another thing

lol, that isn't "pretty upset". For that let's talk about what chili is or the exact definition of "a club sandwich".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

lol, that isn't "pretty upset". For that let's talk about what chili is or the exact definition of "a club sandwich".

No poo poo, "pretty upset" would be appropriate for what I said about tuna steaks, though.

I'm making some homemade pasta. I always do it by hand. Not using eggs because the Mrs. doesn't like eggs, and I'm surprised at how much more water it's taking.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The day pasta can complement the tuna steaks.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The day pasta can complement the tuna steaks.

I think you meant "dry".

But of all people to bag on vegan pasta... you? Kinda of surprising.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Verily, my phone posting game is lacking.

And not bagging on it - just giving you a hard time.

Have you tried adding chia seed before? It's a damned fine egg substitute with flour.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Wouldn't eggless pasta just be super gloopy? I'm trying to imagine the texture and all I can think of is "pasty with a hint of glue". Not being a dick, I'm genuinely curious how they came out.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
No. I took a pasta making course in Italy and there's an entire subset of pasta they do that's eggless.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Clearly I'm an idiot that didn't have that experience? It still sounds terrible, and I'm vegan so tell me more!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most store bought pasta is eggless.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Huh, wow I'm an idiot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Huh, wow I'm an idiot.

Nah, you just didn't know.

The Mrs. and I had a whole discussion about this last night. Since I'd never made it eggless, we went and did some research into recipes.

The recipe my mom taught me as a kid:
-about 4 cups of the hardest flour you can find (about a pound)
-2 whole eggs
-a big pinch of salt
-just enough water to make a dough

Make a flour volcano, sprinkle the salt over it, dump the eggs in the middle, work them in, and then add just enough water to get it to come together. Once you have a dough, knead for a few minutes, make a ball, wrap in plastic, and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
This makes a very reliable pasta. Note that the harder the flour (more gluten), the more water it requires, and the longer you should let it chill.

Lots of vegan pasta recipes that you find online have all sorts of different egg replacements, but all you really need is a little bit of fat, so last night we just used about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and a lot more water. Came out AWESOME!

However, this dragged us down the rabbit hole of bad internet recipes. Look at this one from Emeril, it's got a shocking amount of eggs in it:

quote:

1 pound all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 large egg
8 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

10 loving eggs, that's drat near an omelette.

Worse is this one from Giada, it's got the wrong kind of flour:

quote:

2 cups cake flour
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thomas Keller's pasta recipe uses 14 yolks or something.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, I'll have to look that up

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Have you tried adding chia seed before? It's a damned fine egg substitute with flour.

The Mrs. suggested we do that, and I vetoed it, since I really don't like chia seeds. This is what led us to our internet searches on egg replacements for pasta.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Thomas Keller's pasta recipe uses 14 yolks or something.

And it's good and yummy

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

No. I took a pasta making course in Italy and there's an entire subset of pasta they do that's eggless.

Sadly I only know of this from Achewood.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bongwizzard posted:

Sadly I only know of this from Achewood.

Cornelius was totally old school in the Badass Games.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The dilution of bacon makes me sad. At first I was excited that it was everywhere, but now it's just microwave-grade ham suggestion sprinkled on everything. Bacon is a force for good but it won't save us. The best bacon belongs on peanut butter and banana sandwiches or as part of a Saturday morning breakfast, not halfheartedly meted out over a cupcake or a donut.

Eifert Posting posted:

Croatoan posted:

I don't care how wrong someone may be, that's just poor manners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean I agree it's rude too but literally can't help myself. Fortunately the last time I had the opportunity was over 10 years ago.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I think the Good Samaritan law applies

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Cornelius was totally old school in the Badass Games.

Fact. As for making my own eggless pasta I thought that the friction of going through a brass die is what makes it work in most settings.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Got a late crop of sweet peppers in before the freeze, and just made up a fantastic mushroom and pepper soup. Y'all gotta try this.

Sweat an onion in a pat of butter and a bay leaf, minced garlic, minced ginger, paprika, and some 'season completo' (mostly msg and more garlic) for 5ish minutes, add diced sweet peppers. Continue to cook on medium heat until peppers are cooked and onions are sweet. Add a strong broth and dot of liquid smoke or powdered smoke, simmer. Add tore up dried mushrooms, cook till mushrooms are soft. Remove bay leaf. Blend, but leave a few lumps. Add dash of sesame oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

No photo because it's really just a pile of brown slop, but DELICIOUS BROWN SLOP that tastes a fair bit like a nice mushroom and pepper sandwich. You could add sausage too!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I got back from ten days in Italy (mostly north Italy) a bit ago. The food was largely as expected- way more raw meat than I expected though.