Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Hey, let's not use ableist language to defend your lovely rape demons game. Everyone who isn't busy jerking off is pretty honest about the game being badly designed in a lot of ways. That's the problem.

From all the marketing and discussion of the game I don't really see the "lovely rape demon" stuff outside of the "pinups"

if its really that bad I won't buy this game but somebody who actually owns it pray tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Caros posted:

Not really. Because of the way it is worded every returning survivor who can go insane, does go insane. Then they are forced to endeavor as per the above image (losing you four endevors which outweighs the one you get) and statistically this will basically reoccur every one or three turns for the rest of the gave (all survivors have to roll 5+ for her to not reoccur). You can manage it by sending out deaf survivors or survivors who have some resistance to the insanity that she'd grant, but it is a really lovely event.

Looking at it, it was probably intended as dr_ether said, but is so poorly written that it always triggers.

I meant literally sacrificing as in "Bone witch is coming next? Time to intentionally send the crippled and old to hunt and fail to come back."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I haven't played KDM to know all the math but at first glance, treated purely as a worker placement equation, the math sucks. IIRC each survivor generates 1 endeavor so a 4:1 ratio is terrible.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Chill la Chill posted:

I haven't played KDM to know all the math but at first glance, treated purely as a worker placement equation, the math sucks. IIRC each survivor generates 1 endeavor so a 4:1 ratio is terrible.

Remember that you get that +1 endeavour each year until end of the game and you lose those 4 endeavours only once.

12 years left? 3:1 favouring sacrifice.
20 years left? 5:1 favourable returns.

EDIT: of course you need to replace those losses by using endeavours for procreation, so real returns are actually smaller.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 6, 2017

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Phi230 posted:

From all the marketing and discussion of the game I don't really see the "lovely rape demon" stuff outside of the "pinups"

if its really that bad I won't buy this game but somebody who actually owns it pray tell

Theres lots of naked huge tits all over the rulebook and other stuff. Its def not just the pinups

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm, what's the over/under on the Ivory Dragon actually coming out? I have a feeling something is going to go the way of the Lantern Festival.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

adhuin posted:

Remember that you get that +1 endeavour each year until end of the game and you lose those 4 endeavours only once.

You lose those four endeavors once every three years, resulting in a net loss of one endeavor every three years, unless everyone at the table is skilled enough at the game to each roll a five or better.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Det_no posted:

There's nothing to confuse. dr_ether is getting confused for no reason and Claytor's group was too retarded to deal with an event you see coming from a mile away.

Wait, you're saying that you don't resolve those in the order written?

Because if not, there is absolutely something to confuse. I'd have called it unambiguous that first all the non-deaf survivors get 3 insanity, then have to hang out at the camp if insane. If that's not the intent, I have no idea why you'd write it in that order.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Ultiville posted:

Because if not, there is absolutely something to confuse. I'd have called it unambiguous that first all the non-deaf survivors get 3 insanity, then have to hang out at the camp if insane. If that's not the intent, I have no idea why you'd write it in that order.

I think he's saying that my group was "too retarded" to pick the non-trap option immediately after our first hunt.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Phi230 posted:

There's one model called Wet Nurse, mentioned in the last Polygon article too. Ask yourself if you consider that rape cause it's the source of all those claims.

Chill la Chill posted:

It doesn't quite work out like that because survivor death can give you either resources or endeavor too. Even losing 4 accuracy in exchange for 4 strenght can be a huge boon for survivors depending on certain traits, fighting arts or weapon choices.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ultiville posted:

You do resolve exactly as it says, non-deaf returning survivors go visit the witch unless they have something that prevents insanity or maybe die as a result of getting insanity points. Hence why no confusion.

Claytor posted:

I think he's saying that my group was "too retarded" to pick the non-trap option immediately after our first hunt.

More like to fall for the witch twice instead of saying "oh the witch is coming again. Lets kill all the departing survivors, no one endeavors with her, she leaves forever" or at least trying to take advantage of her rolls. The event that creates her happens if you have fifteen survivors so it's not like you were short on guys.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Det_no posted:

There's one model called Wet Nurse, mentioned in the last Polygon article too. Ask yourself if you consider that rape cause it's the source of all those claims.

I mean, all of these images appear in the game materials. NSFW.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 6, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Phi230 posted:

Some of the optional expansion monsters are pretty drat close to rape demons. The new bee one, some of Slender Man, etc. Read the quick descriptions given on the kickstarter combined with the images to judge by your personal standards.

I would personally say it's more the just weird and blatantly sexist thing of all the women have large breasts that are barely covered. The tone isn't generally rapey (again, some of the monsters are worse on this front), just everyone is weirdly naked despite the situation, and thus awful things happen to nearly naked people.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Det_no posted:

More like to fall for the witch twice instead of saying "oh the witch is coming again. Lets kill all the departing survivors, no one endeavors with her, she leaves forever" or at least trying to take advantage of her rolls. The event that creates her happens if you have fifteen survivors so it's not like you were short on guys.

Okay, so the event is just an elaborately worded way of saying "gently caress you, lose a hunt and four survivors." I guess my group is just too retarded to understand how this is good game design.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! Fair warning: I am going to start probating people for saying "retard/retarded" more often in 2017, so ease up in the future.

Also, according to the chat thread Paizo and Kingdom Death are doing a crossover. I feel like that is in this thread's wheelhouse, so there you go.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh god if pathfinder society nerds start roleplaying elaborate literal rape dungeons :prepop:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

Hey folks! Fair warning: I am going to start probating people for saying "retard/retarded" more often in 2017, so ease up in the future.

Also, according to the chat thread Paizo and Kingdom Death are doing a crossover. I feel like that is in this thread's wheelhouse, so there you go.

Yeah, an expansion, they've revealed that the classic 4 'iconic' characters from pathfinder are getting Kingdom Death style miniatures, and a neat campaign, with things to kinda maybe sorta throw a little bit of pathfinder into Kingdom Death.

Seems like it could be fun for some, and a great way to cross over some Pathfinder people into playing, just seems like it's presently the worst dollar value expansion they're releasing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ettin posted:

Also, according to the chat thread Paizo and Kingdom Death are doing a crossover.

Holy poo poo that's retarded gonna be a delicious trainwreck.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Wazzu posted:

Yeah, an expansion, they've revealed that the classic 4 'iconic' characters from pathfinder are getting Kingdom Death style miniatures, and a neat campaign, with things to kinda maybe sorta throw a little bit of pathfinder into Kingdom Death.

Seems like it could be fun for some, and a great way to cross over some Pathfinder people into playing, just seems like it's presently the worst dollar value expansion they're releasing.

Today was the day of getting people in the all-in reward levels to throw in some more money. Extra dice, extra bases, and a big, pricey 'misc add on'; none of which are included in the bundled pledge levels. A lot of people who haven't had to add any extra money all campaign are suddenly throwing in $60-$100 on top of their $777/$1666/$2000 pledges.

I think the False Messengers pack is strictly worse value though? Same cost, same model count, but no plans for any game cards, gear cards or events?

HazCat fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 6, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

HazCat posted:

Today was the day of getting people in the all-in reward levels to throw in some more money. Extra dice, extra bases, and a big, pricey 'misc add on'; none of which are included in the bundled pledge levels. A lot of people who haven't had to add any extra money all campaign are suddenly throwing in $60-$100 on top of their $777/$1666/$2000 pledges.

I think the False Messengers pack is strictly worse value though? Same cost, same model count, but no plans for any game cards, gear cards or events?

False messengers is also a collection of previous pinups under another name. And sweet jesus, latest expansion is $150, sure it comes with stuff, but my god that's an expensive expansion.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

adhuin posted:

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is fully co-op with app telling where to spawn monster/loot and what events happen. It has lot less tiny cards as result.

X-com boardgame has also app, but I haven't played that one yet.

Awesome thanks.

Imperial Assault requires a 'DM' type player still though right?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Harkano posted:

Awesome thanks.

Imperial Assault requires a 'DM' type player still though right?

Not for long if they get the app going

So I backed the new KD 1.5.

I guess I'll price gouge it to somebody if it's too wierd/gross/creepy/bad

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Not for long if they get the app going

So I backed the new KD 1.5.

I guess I'll price gouge it to somebody if it's too wierd/gross/creepy/bad

If it's just the core game then from the looks of things there's nothing worse than you're typical body-horror. If you're okay with John Carpenter's The Thing or whathaveyou you'll probably be fine. Game designer seems to have a thing for hands-where-there-should-not-be-hands in particular.

Of the expansions, some of them get more hentai-monster-tastic. The Sunstalker, the Lion God, the Griffon, the Frog Dog. Of the new stuff the Honeycomb Weaver seems the worst for sexualised body-horror. There's worse stuff sold through the store but none of that's in the Kickstarter.

Assuming you're not bothering with the pin-ups and bonus material and are just looking at the actual game stuff, I think only the Lion Knight and Red Witches expansion are all scantily-clad-women-for-no-reason if that's what's irritating.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Okay I don't really know much about board games or whatever but one of my friends was talking about backing this because it seems like it could be fun, so I figured I might as well check here. The general opinion seems to be mixed, but I was wondering about a few things in particular. How is the level of RNG compared to say, DnD? Is it mostly up to the whimsical hands of fate, or is there a level of skill involved? The game is marketed as being something you're likely to lose; How long does it take to get going?

Also the review I mentioned indicated that there's no terrain, which... Really would make the strategy seem pretty nonexistent? Might be a dealbreaker for me.

e: On the kickstarter, I can't tell if spending $15 to get a titay miniature is better or worse than spending $15 to get a titay art print.

ee: Nevermind it doesn't even have a print, it's really just $15 for the world's most shameful miniatures. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 7, 2017

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

Also the review I mentioned indicated that there's no terrain, which... Really would make the strategy seem pretty nonexistent? Might be a dealbreaker for me.

The game has tons of terrain, it's just not represented by 3D models. The designer has said he won't be making 3D terrain because it's too difficult to make it practical, since monsters can often move through it, and so you need a way for the models to be able to stand half on and half off the terrain.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

HazCat posted:

The game has tons of terrain, it's just not represented by 3D models. The designer has said he won't be making 3D terrain because it's too difficult to make it practical, since monsters can often move through it, and so you need a way for the models to be able to stand half on and half off the terrain.

In my experience, most of the terrain is incredibly boring and has a minimal effect on strategy (if you have a bow, stand on the stone face; if you can attack from grass, do it; don't stand in front of columns). You also usually have like a max of two meaningful types of terrain in a fight.

In terms of RNG vs skill, there is a certain amount of tactical skill (although it often boils down to just stand behind the monster as much as possible) in showdowns and some in analysing the best strategic direction, but events mainly involve getting hosed by the RNG, like, a whole lot. For my tastes, the game has too many straight dice rolls that you can't meaningfully interact with as a player.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cuntellectual posted:

e: On the kickstarter, I can't tell if spending $15 to get a titay miniature is better or worse than spending $15 to get a titay art print.

ee: Nevermind it doesn't even have a print, it's really just $15 for the world's most shameful miniatures. :v:
That's a shame. Tiddy art prints are at least more acceptable.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntellectual posted:

Okay I don't really know much about board games or whatever but one of my friends was talking about backing this because it seems like it could be fun, so I figured I might as well check here. The general opinion seems to be mixed, but I was wondering about a few things in particular. How is the level of RNG compared to say, DnD? Is it mostly up to the whimsical hands of fate, or is there a level of skill involved? The game is marketed as being something you're likely to lose; How long does it take to get going?

You know how DnD got rid of a lot of the "save or die" rolls because they were kind of bullshit? This embraces them.

There is terrain in the form of cardboard pieces which works fine. It's does add a little to fights, but it tends towards the no brainer side of things.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That sucks. The game was being sold to me as a sort of Darkest Dungeon-y Monster Hunter-y thing which sounded pretty cool but if there's not really much to the combat then it doesn't seem worth it.

Is there anything like that, since KDM is apparently a wash? IE, a game about dungeon crawling or fighting big monsters with a metagame for when you almost certainly lose a character or two?

Chill la Chill posted:

That's a shame. Tiddy art prints are at least more acceptable.

I mean at least those you don't need to painstakingly paint. :v:

dr_ether posted:

In fact the cards that come with the pinups are simply promotional material. They are cards that don't have rules for how that are made in game. They are literally just for there for fun. How they are included is up to the buyer.

There isn't any mention of cards, just the models.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 7, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

That sucks. The game was being sold to me as a sort of Darkest Dungeon-y Monster Hunter-y thing which sounded pretty cool but if there's not really much to the combat then it doesn't seem worth it.

Is there anything like that, since KDM is apparently a wash? IE, a game about dungeon crawling or fighting big monsters with a metagame for when you almost certainly lose a character or two?

I mean at least those you don't need to painstakingly paint. :v:

There isn't any mention of cards, just the models.

The game isn't perfect, but I still have had fun playing it with friends. While some of the decisions are obvious, others are balancing probability (what will it most likely do if we attack it? What order should we go in?) I believe the most fun you can have facing a monster is learning about it. The different AI it will have every battle, and what hit locations can come up, seeing what it can and can't do, and learning how to adapt each fight, and how it changes at higher levels of the same monster. Since I'm talking about how not knowing how the creatures fight can be a lot of the fun, spoilers follow the lion level A and 1 are pretty simple, with the main tactic you'll learn is to go behind it, to more accurately stab and try and manage who the lion can see (since it will only attack visible enemies and can't see directly behind itself). Level 2 lion adds in the mechanic that it will grab one survivor and run off to attack it, changing how it fights and your party has to learn to adapt. But the second enemy you'll encounter (assuming no expansions) is the antelope, and one of the things it does sometimes is a backwards kick, so you can't fight it the same as a lion. The lion also is primarily physical as a threat, whereas the antelope is also a threat to the mind. The Antelope uses the terrain more than the lion, you start with a bunch of plants in the area, and the antelope will want to eat them to heal, whereas you want to harvest them to use - letting you balance risk, reward, and it having an action that isn't attacking you.

Though most criticisms in this thread are real. Hell, as Poots fully supports, I'll probably be house ruling the poo poo out of the game when I get it, I think some of the poo poo in there is stupid. But I want to play more.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think it's important to note that if a group is going to get this game, they are going to really need to get into it. It seems like so much of the damage mitigation of bad rolls requires encyclopedic knowledge of the game requiring you to either research ahead of time or fail so many times you figure out the solution. It definitely requires the time and effort investment of an RPG campaing, sans DM, rather than a modern board game you can just pull off the shelf when someone comes over.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel like a game you need to make your own rules for to be fun is bad, but I don't know if anyone else minds that sort of thing.

Just from my babby's first thoughts from reading this thread some of the improvements would be adding terrain (which would probably require a lot of work) and coming up with a way to reduce the RNG on some of the dumber things (Bonus reroll pool? Pool of points you can use as a modifier? I dunno) and it could be pretty good. I'll talk about it to my friends, at any rate. Thanks for the heads up!

mango sentinel posted:

I think it's important to note that if a group is going to get this game, they are going to really need to get into it. It seems like so much of the damage mitigation of bad rolls requires encyclopedic knowledge of the game requiring you to either research ahead of time or fail so many times you figure out the solution. It definitely requires the time and effort investment of an RPG campaing, sans DM, rather than a modern board game you can just pull off the shelf when someone comes over.

I'm not a boardgames person, but that group has played games from Seafall (which I gather is fairly easy to get into for a long term game?) to Diplomacy (which I gather is something you set aside a day for) so that's probably not an issue.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5-kickstarter has ended and it got around 12.4 million dollars. That's some kind of record?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I feel like a game you need to make your own rules for to be fun is bad, but I don't know if anyone else minds that sort of thing.

Just from my babby's first thoughts from reading this thread some of the improvements would be adding terrain (which would probably require a lot of work) and coming up with a way to reduce the RNG on some of the dumber things (Bonus reroll pool? Pool of points you can use as a modifier? I dunno) and it could be pretty good. I'll talk about it to my friends, at any rate. Thanks for the heads up!

The second time my group started a campaign we used a couple house rules which did improve our experience (I still wasn't super into it, but it was better). The first one was that we essentially had two hunts/showdowns/settlement phases per lantern year, which means more time and chances to improves your gear and settlements between the nemesis encounters (it made the Twilight Sword almost a viable thing). We also dealt out multiple unique monster resources and chose the one we liked best, which meant making the gear we wanted was easier.

We also just took all of the trap cards out of the game.

Basically we played on scrub mode. Those rules changes don't improve the randomness, but they do make the game easier and make it easier to improve your survivors and gear up.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Edit: Quote is not Edit

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

adhuin posted:

Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5-kickstarter has ended and it got around 12.4 million dollars. That's some kind of record?

Awesome. Let me be the first to say: Anyone having buyer's remorse and want to sell their KS account without gouging me 50%? Just heard about the game and super bummed that I've missed out on everything.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vehementi posted:

Awesome. Let me be the first to say: Anyone having buyer's remorse and want to sell their KS account without gouging me 50%? Just heard about the game and super bummed that I've missed out on everything.

Naw, just wait for the Level 99 version of it: https://www.level99games.com/seventh-cross

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

LordAba posted:

Naw, just wait for the Level 99 version of it: https://www.level99games.com/seventh-cross

Already subbed to the mailing list when I was desperately combing the other thread for scraps

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LordAba posted:

Looks sweet. I hope they have a kawaii chuunibyo character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I see the anime, but there is a dearth of rape. I don't think this will do nearly as well.

• Locked thread