Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

skooma512 posted:

What do you even need for 17drac? Can a noob with a Cobra and 3 million credits cut it or should I not bother making the trip?

You could technically do 17 drac in a sidewinder. Pretty much the only necessary purchase component is "as many dumbfire missiles as you can fit on your tiny lovely ship".

If you have a ship at 17 drac with dumbfires, you are all set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
It looks like there's a window where if you were fast enough you could close the gap with the thargoid and shoot it in the arse before it jumps. PAC with a long range mod should be able to shoot 3km, yeah?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DreadLlama posted:

It looks like there's a window where if you were fast enough you could close the gap with the thargoid and shoot it in the arse before it jumps. PAC with a long range mod should be able to shoot 3km, yeah?

There are videos out there of people shooting it, no damage taken and it just jumps out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kavros posted:

You could technically do 17 drac in a sidewinder. Pretty much the only necessary purchase component is "as many dumbfire missiles as you can fit on your tiny lovely ship".

If you have a ship at 17 drac with dumbfires, you are all set.

This sounds viable. Especially if it doesn't require me to sacrifice my poor Clipper to get there. Is the Viper the best ship available there?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

KakerMix posted:

There are videos out there of people shooting it, no damage taken and it just jumps out.

I love how Frontier is a master of both inspiration and disappointment.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

game is terrible cred verified over here

Stop playing non Steam games through Steam. Don't say "but the overlay" because the overlay is terrible and should be disabled immediately.

poo poo I just realised there is probably a whole generation that has only experienced PC games through installers like Steam, GoG and Origin.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I use the overlay browser so I don't have to alt-tab out to do a gear/commodity search on inara. It's fine. Granted, half the time the overlay opens itself all "Hurp durp, you rang?" when you even think about touching any one of the keys involved in its hotkey combo but it has its uses.

Though the lack of an easy button is what led to me learning DOS as a six year old so I could play Bouncing Babies on a CGA monitor...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Spacewar > bouncing babies any day :v:

Planet + gravity enabled of course!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh no argument from me there.

The guy we got that PC from also sold my dad both a Commodore Vic20 and C64 with a 55 gallon trash bag literally full of games. I became addicted to SIDchip music at a very young age.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This sounds viable. Especially if it doesn't require me to sacrifice my poor Clipper to get there. Is the Viper the best ship available there?

I mean at the end I was just lazily using my asp explorer since I would use it to travel up there super fast. I would just head out, blast things, self destruct, mission stack, repeat.

The only thing I switched up was not self destructing when I was trying to get the 25 modulars (or any other mission cargo I needed).

A viper works fine because it costs nearly nothing to replace and so you just stealth and dive to save yourself the six minute trip back.

Always get the missiles before you get there though.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kavros posted:

Always get the missiles before you get there though.

A thousand times this.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

The war seems to be between Jet Bridge and The Order but the planet is held by New 17 Drac :mad:

Does the system need to finish the Civil War go into a new state then back to Civil War for the warring factions to change?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DancingShade posted:

Stop playing non Steam games through Steam. Don't say "but the overlay" because the overlay is terrible and should be disabled immediately.

poo poo I just realised there is probably a whole generation that has only experienced PC games through installers like Steam, GoG and Origin.
You are aware that Elite is available through Steam as well as directly from Frontier, yes?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mercurius posted:

You are aware that Elite is available through Steam as well as directly from Frontier, yes?

Yes?

Wait are you saying the Steam copy of ED has Steam DRM on top of the server requirement? Because lol if that's the case.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So when the factions change...

1. Get missiles.

2. Get to Draconis 17 via Hauler.

3. Get Viper and transport missiles.

4. Stack skimmer missions.

5. Complete missions via dumbfire destruction.

6. Suicide.

7. Repeat

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DancingShade posted:

Yes?

Wait are you saying the Steam copy of ED has Steam DRM on top of the server requirement? Because lol if that's the case.

No. Why would it? It only uses Steam as a delivery platform.

Come to think of it, is there a way to get steam to accept the regular Frontier install as its own by just pointing to it, somehow, without having to move a ton of stuff around or add it as a non-steam game?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1. Get missiles.

6. Suicide.

7. Repeat

That would be the plan but apparently they're patching it next week so skimmers will no longer count for kill missions.

e: alternatively stick the launchers on your hauler and then swap them to your Viper. You can't buy the modules in 17 Drac but you can restock them.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1. Get missiles.

6. Suicide.

7. Repeat

You can just use the hauler. The main thing is dumbfires or mines and a low rebuy for suiciding back quickly after you complete your mission stack.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The hauler probably does not carry nearly enough missiles to wipe out all the stacked missions in one go. Stick with the viper minimum.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Honestly the Cobra-3 works fine for that, too, and it comes with a bonus of not needing the hassle of switching between ships. It's got a jump range roughly equal or superior to the Adder and it's still relatively cheap to rebuy.

Status_Surge
Sep 9, 2009

I need ya, Surge. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.
logged in to get probe by thargoids. 10/10 would get probed again after 12 hours of trying

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kavros posted:

The hauler probably does not carry nearly enough missiles to wipe out all the stacked missions in one go. Stick with the viper minimum.

Yea a single small launcher isn't going to have enough ammo to knock out the big missions.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
One mine takes out all the skimmers.

Mine launcher holds 60 mines or something doesn't it?

It's 6 skimmers and the biggest mission only makes you kill about 100.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
One small mine launcher holds 32 mines which is enough to finish a stack of missions.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013

Status_Surge posted:

logged in to get probe by thargoids. 10/10 would get probed again after 12 hours of trying

Angrymog posted:

Went alien hunting, and found one. Then a Thargoid interdicted me.

https://www.twitch.tv/elitediamondfrogs/v/112428227

Following from 3252 when the Thargons appeared in the last game, they showed up at Pleione 6 and then at Polaris 4, I'm not surprised they appeared near the Pleiades sector. Has anyone tried scouting around Polaris? All the action also happened at a star called Miacke, but i looked and couldn't see it on the map. Curiously enough, in First Encounters they were identified as ???? so when they announced that that was one of the titles of season 2 a few months ago I wondered how long it would be until they showed up...

Looking forward to my Thargoid interceptor with a 450ly range :getin:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Strategic Tea posted:

and furthermore everything is awful about this game and it is terrible :frontear: *1000 hours played* *In-Game: Elite Dangerous*

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but isn't getting one's money worth more or less independent of how long they've played?

I think people with a lot of experience at the game shouldn't be dismissed like this

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Managed to fully kit out a FDL with my ill-gotten gains. Basically this - with 2.5 pips to systems and weapons and one to engine, I can drain my beam weapons and just be on the cusp of overheat, which also strips the shields off of almost anything in nothing flat, and then the multi-cannon (with no spin-up time!) does obscene things to hulls. Not sure whether I'll keep the beams or maybe experiment with bursts, though, as the one thing this loadout has problems with is smaller agile ships, and at least with bursts my lasers can deal okay damage to hull.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hakimashou posted:

One mine takes out all the skimmers.

Mine launcher holds 60 mines or something doesn't it?

It's 6 skimmers and the biggest mission only makes you kill about 100.

Doesn't bombing via mines require a ship with mounts on the bottom?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Doesn't bombing via mines require a ship with mounts on the bottom?
Hover upside down?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pilchenstein posted:

Hover upside down?

Fair enough. I take it the bombing runs aren't terribly precise? How far off do you need to be to drop them?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chrysophylax posted:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but isn't getting one's money worth more or less independent of how long they've played?

I think people with a lot of experience at the game shouldn't be dismissed like this

If someone played something bad and not worth their money for a thousand hours they should definitely be dismissed.

More likely they've got valid criticism that they're expressing as hysterics. Like an NPC popping in at a dramatic moment becomes UGGH FDEV has bugged this lovely awful game don't bother coming back to see the aliens :qq:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Strategic Tea posted:

If someone played something bad and not worth their money for a thousand hours they should definitely be dismissed.

More likely they've got valid criticism that they're expressing as hysterics. Like an NPC popping in at a dramatic moment becomes UGGH FDEV has bugged this lovely awful game don't bother coming back to see the aliens :qq:

"I can't stop playing or talking about this game that I hate" is basically this entire subforum's gimmick.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Strategic Tea posted:

Makkes sense, fair enough.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If you lose your sense of purpose in the game it stops being fun.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I've read a few brown sea fanboys that dismiss criticism entirely if you have more than some arbitrary number of hours because apparently that's clearly bad for reasons? I find that odd

That's not what Strategic Tea said tho.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I think Elite: Dangerous is a fun game and the developers make more good decisions than bad. :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"I can't stop playing or talking about this game that I hate" is basically this entire subforum's gimmick.

For a second I thought this was the Star Citizen thread.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's no gimmick. These nerds are for real.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

DancingShade posted:

Lol. What year is this? Any computer from the last x years can run games with the Steam service with absolutely zero performance hit whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I am VERY upset that people enjoy thing

• Locked thread