Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

bloodysabbath posted:

I could be wrong but I think for Steam VR setup you have to carry the headset while also doing the trigger pull stuff or it doesn't track right.
Nah, you can have it sitting on the floor, just stick a piece of paper or whatever in front of the proximity sensor on the inside of the headset so the screens stay on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Got my extra cameras and mounts today. Four cameras is a little buggy (it took me a few tries to find the correct angle to face when initially setting up the play space, and there's this) but everything is working now and it's pretty sweet. Full room (~12x12 but my play area is smaller because of my desk/speakers/etc) tracking with no occlusion/range issues. I tried with three sensors and it's very good too, although the corner of the room without one was just a bit out of range.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

I had the same issue. I ended up going into developer options and setting my room to "medium" size centered on my midpoint. Close enough, since I'm using the oculus guardian system.

Nalin posted:

I had the same problems. If you want to use SteamVR, you will want to use the beta version.

Also, use these two pieces of software:

Chaperone Tweak
OpenVR Advanced Settings

Chaperone Tweak is a SteamVR app that allows you to set the SteamVR play area through VR. Using your Touch controllers, you can push the Chaperone boundaries out to your Guardian boundaries. You can then expand your floor space to fit your area.

OpenVR Advanced Settings is a plugin for SteamVR itself. It will appear inside SteamVR as a menu option (SteamVR | Desktop | Advanced Settings). Using it you can hide your Chaperone boundaries by setting the opacity to 0%. That will leave you with just the Guardian boundaries. You can also use it to reconfigure your floor height.

You will also want to disable interleaved reprojection and enable asynchronous reprojection.

Finally, disable ASW while using SteamVR, because it can cause poo poo to fail hard. If you have the old ASW registry hack enabled, you can use CTRL+Numpad 1 to disable it. Otherwise, you can use the Oculus Debug Tool to disable it.

After all this stupid poo poo is done, congrats, you can now play SteamVR titles. Expect more stupid poo poo to affect you in the future because SteamVR doesn't work that well with the Rift.

Oh wow I'm glad I asked. Problem solved and then some, thanks!

Had put down VR for a bit over getting annoyed at little Rift tracking issues in a ~7x12 space with two sensors and having a mental block at the whole hump of jumping in a VR game vs. just firing up Overwatch again. Hopped in Raw Data to test out the new sensor and those room settings and it's hot drat itshappening.gif :pcgaming: all over again; hour just disappeared off the clock. Tracking seems just fine now for the 7x12 area, though I wager it might get a little spotty if I happened to really get in a couple of the corners.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Touch came today. Where do I start?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

beergod posted:

Free only:
VR Sports Challenge
NVIDIA VR Funhouse

Paid:
SUPERHOT VR

The Unspoken and Dead and Buried are pretty good too, but they are mainly PvP games. Rec Room is free, but it is social multiplayer so it may or may not be your thing.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

beergod posted:

Buy something on the Oculus store so you get Ripcoil for free. Uhh did they take the bundle pack deal thing down? I'm not seein it there but if you do it's good.

efb that:

Nalin posted:

Free only:
VR Sports Challenge
NVIDIA VR Funhouse

Paid:
SUPERHOT VR

The Unspoken and Dead and Buried are pretty good too, but they are mainly PvP games. Rec Room is free, but it is social multiplayer so it may or may not be your thing.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

teh_Broseph posted:

Buy something on the Oculus store so you get Ripcoil for free. Uhh did they take the bundle pack deal thing down? I'm not seein it there but if you do it's good.
The free Ripcoil promo ended a while ago.

For free stuff I'd highly recommend grabbing the Budget Cuts demo off of Steam.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Accounting is free on Steam if you want to be screamed at for fifteen minutes... highly recommended.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Also Onward is a must have. Its the hot new counterstrike for the VR age. Its super good, I can't get enough of it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 7, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Onward is really fun. The only problem is that it is quite buggy as it's developed by a single amateur developer. Plus it is SteamVR only so Rift users get to deal with that terrible mess.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What backgrounds are you guys using? I've been using the Holodeck since day 1 and can't really think of anything quite as fitting.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I had the holodeck for a while, but lately I've been using a 360 photo of a desert with dome projection and a flattened base (a cool feature that seems to work remarkably well with any 360 photo that has little parallax) and a circular metal base that is about the size of my room. It looks pretty convincing considering the low polygonal complexity.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Falken posted:

What backgrounds are you guys using? I've been using the Holodeck since day 1 and can't really think of anything quite as fitting.

I like the holodeck entrance + a background image.

Also, shameless plug for the frog:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688475999

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

beergod posted:

Presumably you didn't preorder, but you still get Dead & Buried free with the controllers. Great if you want to get a real feeling of space, as there's lots of ducking around to use cover and so on. It's relatively simple but really fun - and you get some great presence moments including getting to chat/dance with and high-five your teammate before each round.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Nalin posted:

Rec Room is free, but it is social multiplayer so it may or may not be your thing is incredibly fun and worthwhile.

One thing that is starting to become apparent to me is that VR games seem to come with a sense of isolation. I've played some games and experiences where there is either nothing around or the only NPCs to interact with are obviously unrealistic such as hovering robots. This is maybe because VR devs are more afraid than usual to approach the uncanny valley and so NPCs need to be kept cartooney rather than slightly off and strange. The result of this is that I sometimes feel kinda lonely being in VR. When I jump into Altspace or Rec Room I interact with people all around the world and I draw empathy from their body language. I've played with Americans, Swedes, Brits, Russians, people in a VR cafe in Hong Kong. I've seen people dancing, mucking around, playing card games, climbing trees, acting visibly social. Everyone has different thresholds for this kind of thing for sure but for me it definitely beats feeling alone.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nalin posted:

Onward is really fun. The only problem is that it is quite buggy as it's developed by a single amateur developer. Plus it is SteamVR only so Rift users get to deal with that terrible mess.

Onward is good enough that it's still worth buying even though it's kind of a hassle to play. Lots of teamwork since everyone who's playing is, you know, one of us VR nerds. Pistol rounds are super fun. Knife-only rounds are absolutely hilarious.

Evidently the developer Dante is doing some kind of residency at Valve so maybe they can help him improve it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I love the early days of new tech where the only people that have it are huge try hard nerds (like myself)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AndrewP posted:

Onward is good enough that it's still worth buying even though it's kind of a hassle to play. Lots of teamwork since everyone who's playing is, you know, one of us VR nerds. Pistol rounds are super fun. Knife-only rounds are absolutely hilarious.

Evidently the developer Dante is doing some kind of residency at Valve so maybe they can help him improve it.

It really is, mostly it runs without issues for me (rift user) but I did have a bunch of issues getting started.
Dante is at Valve right now which I think is really cool because he is a totally cool guy and has worked pretty hard on this game. What he has done solo is pretty amazing imo, I think some more support and some other people to work with him on stuff could really turn this into a landmark title.
For the most part right now the community is mostly pretty cool people who don't mind helping newbies and are pretty chill to play with. Some of the "alternative game modes" like hostages are a testament to this and hilarious to play.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Falken posted:

Stargate Command center of course. Portal Tower is also not too bad if you want a background as well.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Is there any indication that Onward will ever be on the Oculus store?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Why would you want it on the Oculus store specifically? Just grab it on Steam, where you could refund the game if the locomotion makes you ill.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-9-vr-extension-cable-black/5706844.p?skuId=5706844

Good news for any Rift Roomscalers.

In other news my touch tracking is hosed and its apparently a common issue. Gen 1 VR is annoying.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Display Port's Wireless display link 60ghz vive hookup worked flawlessly.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why would you want it on the Oculus store specifically? Just grab it on Steam, where you could refund the game if the locomotion makes you ill.

I find the Oculus store a far better experience than Steam so I buy all my VR stuff there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Display Port's Wireless display link 60ghz vive hookup worked flawlessly.

What is this? Have a link?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I can link a Facebook post tonight, it was at Displayport's booth at CES. I got to demo it.

E: they claim it has sub frame transmission at 60fps.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 7, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eyud posted:

I find the Oculus store a far better experience than Steam so I buy all my VR stuff there.

Can Oculus store buyers play with steam store buyers?
Besides try it on steam and if you don't like it, return it :c00l:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

KakerMix posted:

Can Oculus store buyers play with steam store buyers?
Besides try it on steam and if you don't like it, return it :c00l:

If the developer hosts their own multiplayer infrastructure or matchmaking, then yes. If they use the matchmaking services specific to Steam or Oculus Home, then no.

I generally like to buy from Oculus store because of two things: 1) it is convenient, and 2) guaranteed OVR SDK. I don't mind buying a VR game on Steam if it supports OVR SDK directly, but not everything does that so you have to spend a bunch of time researching if the game has that option. That is a hassle, so most of time I just fall back into (1) and go with the convenience of Oculus Home.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I understand. Personally I can only play games that work with directx, none of that opengl bullshit. That's why I'll never buy the new doom.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Truga posted:

I understand. Personally I can only play games that work with directx, none of that opengl bullshit. That's why I'll never buy the new doom.

What's wrong with opengl?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

JoeMB posted:

What's wrong with opengl?

:thejoke:

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
These console wars are the worst console wars.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Not playing new doom is maybe the greatest mistake you could make in your life if you like video games.

It's fuckin great

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I agree you should definitely play new Doom.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

People who have done a lot of fiddling with your Vives, what is the "real" maximum distance that you can have between your chaperones until things start getting wonky? My office is pretty large and the recommended 15' maximum isn't very much at all. Could I go up to 25-30 feet without much issue?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

People who have done a lot of fiddling with your Vives, what is the "real" maximum distance that you can have between your chaperones until things start getting wonky? My office is pretty large and the recommended 15' maximum isn't very much at all. Could I go up to 25-30 feet without much issue?
There was that video from the Hover Junkers guys where they set up the lighthouses at something like 30' diagonally and it worked fine. There's definitely some point where the angular speed of the scan would be too fast for the sensors to pick up reliably, but idk if there's any kind of empirical basis for the 15' limit but its pretty much just a suggestion.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The issue with tracking isn't even the lasers, it's the blast. As it's a 3d sphere going out of the lighthouses, rather than a line like the lasers, intensity drop is square of the distance (as opposed to linearly like the lasers). It'll be the thing that causes problems with tracking, because it'll be too weak for the sensors to pick up once you get far enough.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Fooz posted:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-9-vr-extension-cable-black/5706844.p?skuId=5706844

Good news for any Rift Roomscalers.

In other news my touch tracking is hosed and its apparently a common issue. Gen 1 VR is annoying.

I'm mad that you told me about this and I can't buy it :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Skeet Shooting guy, any way to play left-handed? I'm using Oculus/Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nalin posted:

I generally like to buy from Oculus store because of two things: 1) it is convenient, and 2) guaranteed OVR SDK. I don't mind buying a VR game on Steam if it supports OVR SDK directly, but not everything does that so you have to spend a bunch of time researching if the game has that option. That is a hassle, so most of time I just fall back into (1) and go with the convenience of Oculus Home.

While I understand the convenience aspect of it, the very real drawback of using the Oculus store is that if at some point you decide to switch headsets every game you have purchased will only be accessible through ReVive, an unofficial wrapper. It works well and it's unlikely to break but it's still a possibility and those hundreds of dollars you spent, as well as the games, could end up evaporating.

Of course you could just keep buying into their ecosystem, but considering how close the competition already is, it might be foolish to bet on Oculus being on top in 5 years. When you make that choice, your games being held hostage is going to become a larger issue.