Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Anyone else on Win10 have issues with the patcher?
It's always freezing/crashing/redownloading the same stuff. I did a clean re-install and it came up with new errors about missing data folders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I've dealt with the installer being retarded before. It doesn't delete the data folders on an uninstall, you need to manually delete them to perform a real clean install.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Came back to this after a couple months not playing. The gnoll dungeon kicked my rear end a few times but I cleared it now, feels good. The game also seems much more polished than a couple of months ago.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I like the new PVE content but mab the visual and UI updates look garbage.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get back to the first adventure zone after going to the AZ2 map? Or can't you?

e: Never mind, you get there by going all the way back to the very first spot on the AZ2 map and exploring. Could have been more intuitive, but :ms:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 11, 2016

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My casual hot takes:

-The ranger is a cool concept but there needs to be another talent or two in the first tier that gives +1 health to your pet, at least for the orc. Getting your pet repeatedly whacked by Burns and the like is rough, even though technically that means less being thrown at your other dudes. Repeatedly resummoning a 2/2 is far less cool than buffing the poo poo out of your pet.
-The ranger also needs something - unless I'm missing a particular talent - that lets your pet dodge enemy disables, like Mesmerize. Reverting is possible but runs heavily against the idea of buffing the pet. Whoo, your pet is back in action! But now it's a 2/2 again!
-The shell concept is a real rear end-gently caress for the cleric, especially since the one damage pings doesn't even count as healing at all. Turning off Righteous paladin is one thing, but killing the lifelink on clerics talents, particularly when you're heavily incentivized to take clerics by way of Divine Altar, sucks. Would it have killed them to just reduce damage taken to one instead of a substitution effect?
-Still not 100% sold on the ship concept but at least I think I have the hang of it and can probably clear out the last three encounters or so to get remaining talents before I start working at the quests.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Your pet losing all its previous buffs when you resummon it is something that's very counterintuitive, given that basically nothing else in Hex works that way, and that buffs persisting through death/bounce is in fact one of the game's major interesting points of mechanical distinction from Magic. Yes, I realize that on a technical level it's because the game is creating a new object rather than returning the former instance of your pet to the battlefield from wherever it went, but the point is that it should have been possible to implement it in a way that didn't poop on the flavor fantasy.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Shell is also no doubt intended to combat effects such as Lethal--which just makes it all the more hilarious to me that the final boss of the jungle dungeon's spell-shielded rage-having 30 defense super zombie is susceptible to Lethal.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Since the latest update I notice an uptick in people playing what seem to be noobish PvE decks in the PvP queue, I almost feel like I should concede instead of smashing a player like that and running them off.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Years of improvement to the client and you still can't do two things at once, like play the campaign or browse the AH while you're in a queue for a draft game. :shepface:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
My question is why the AH can't be a commodity-style market like the Steam Marketplace or EVE Online (ish) or something and is still using an interface and style that harkens back to loving World of Warcraft.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Because the original idea was for every card to be unique, tracking all kinds of stats.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Since the latest update I notice an uptick in people playing what seem to be noobish PvE decks in the PvP queue, I almost feel like I should concede instead of smashing a player like that and running them off.

I'm not really into constructed at all, but it seems like there are some alright rewards for getting a few ranks. Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap deck to do it with?

Epsilon Plus posted:

My question is why the AH can't be a commodity-style market like the Steam Marketplace or EVE Online (ish) or something and is still using an interface and style that harkens back to loving World of Warcraft.

I think they're really hurting themselves with this, as the difficulty of listing stuff and the lovely search interface fucks up prices for a lot of things. At least, that's what I assume is keeping a lot of prices higher than they seem like they should be. Maybe it's just me.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Tamba posted:

Because the original idea was for every card to be unique, tracking all kinds of stats.

My idea for this (since the kickstarter launched pretty much) is to separate cards into two states. One that works pretty much like today, and one where the card has no tracked stats, no full art, and can be traded like a commodity. By default the first 4 copies of a card you get would be in the playable state, and the rest would be packed up and easily sellable. This could also allow for full art/alternate art cards to be used in limited, where if you draft a card that's already in your collection you'd play with the card from your playset and the drafted card gets stashed away with the extras. This would leave the auction house for alternate art promos, full art cards, and anything rare enough to make the actual auctioning stuff work rather than just going for the buyout.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Wallet posted:

I'm not really into constructed at all, but it seems like there are some alright rewards for getting a few ranks. Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap deck to do it with?

Yotul Burn

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.
Now that drafts are gauntlets I can actually spend the time on them again, so I've done one so far (B/S flyers/dreadlings, with Dread Driver P2P1) and managed to 3-0, but I didn't really feel like I knew what I was doing other than picking up on Dreadling strategies I've seen in sealed gauntlets and keeping the curve low. Are there any good articles out there covering the Herofall draft archetypes? I did a cursory search and didn't find anything other than a couple of random Hoogland drafts and some super simple draft primers. Looking for Limited Resources-level analysis, but I don't know if there's a lot of that in the Hex world.

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013
So I just came back after the first and second set and have nowhere near a full set of either but am enjoying the campaign from the little I've seen so far. Is there a cheap(ish) deck that does well for a while? I have a dungeon crawler kickstarter account if that matters and am up to two mercenaries and a ship now at level 10 just playing mono green elf warrior but it's taking me a few tries per node at this point so I thought I'd ask.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
For Coyotle Cleric this deck is cheap and pretty much unstoppable, no mercs necessary, with the exception that it can have a hard time on some of the ship content.

I run it with 22 diamond shards, this is how it looks at lvl 14.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

dblankenship81 posted:

So I just came back after the first and second set and have nowhere near a full set of either but am enjoying the campaign from the little I've seen so far. Is there a cheap(ish) deck that does well for a while? I have a dungeon crawler kickstarter account if that matters and am up to two mercenaries and a ship now at level 10 just playing mono green elf warrior but it's taking me a few tries per node at this point so I thought I'd ask.

Hawkor decks are really strong, and since he's a mercenary you can use the same deck to take care of business on any campaign character you want. There are some relatively expensive versions floating around, but here's a link to the budget version I made for myself, which can handle pretty much everything the campaign throws at you (it requires modifications for some of the challenge fights).

As far as the boat goes, I found Sapphire/Blood Vennen nonsense does quite well against the AI for ship combat, but there are a lot of things you could try. Even if you can only clear one encounter a trip, unlocking a few talent points by beating the fights that give them to you will make a massive difference. I'm a big fan of the Cannon upgrades, which will give you a shitload of repeatable removal.

Thanks.

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

For Coyotle Cleric this deck is cheap and pretty much unstoppable, no mercs necessary, with the exception that it can have a hard time on some of the ship content.

I run it with 22 diamond shards, this is how it looks at lvl 14.

Wallet posted:

Hawkor decks are really strong, and since he's a mercenary you can use the same deck to take care of business on any campaign character you want. There are some relatively expensive versions floating around, but here's a link to the budget version I made for myself, which can handle pretty much everything the campaign throws at you (it requires modifications for some of the challenge fights).

As far as the boat goes, I found Sapphire/Blood Vennen nonsense does quite well against the AI for ship combat, but there are a lot of things you could try. Even if you can only clear one encounter a trip, unlocking a few talent points by beating the fights that give them to you will make a massive difference. I'm a big fan of the Cannon upgrades, which will give you a shitload of repeatable removal.

Thanks.

Used the zero plat and few thousand golds I had and picked up what I could off the AH. I'll keep watch for what I'm missing and try to finish these off when I find them up for gold.
Thanks for the decks. Ruby shards are placeholders for now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Just a reminder how much loving scumbags Gameforge are. My VIP auto renewed and they won't give a refund. I haven't been able to actually log into the gameforge website in months because it keeps saying, "You can't log in right now try a different browser".

I've now got 18 VIP tickets... Still had 6 that I never used because the VIP AA's have been dogshit. $100 dollars down the drain.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
When I was having trouble logging into their website I needed to turn off my ad-blocker (which wasn't a great sign but whatever), sucks to hear but hopefully some of the upcoming VIP AA's are baller to make up for it

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I decided to pop in to see what the second round of campaign content is like. Overall, it's pretty interesting. But...

There's one fight against the Shin'hare Abductor after the ship section. Initially, they have 1000 HP but all your damage mills the enemy. Okay, cool concept. After a certain point, they transform into Shin'gami. This rear end in a top hat resurrects every cheap dude in his graveyard at the end of every turn, and then makes anything still left in his graveyard cheaper. Whatever, after the first unpleasant surprise I got myself up to a few hundred HP with Ozawa, so he can't even attack me to death, and his library is super low so it's just a matter of waiting for him to deck.

But this rear end in a top hat has a Blood Cauldron Ritualist and multiple Shin'hare Eulogists, so what he is doing is sacrificing every single one of his 80-odd lovely shinhare. One at a time. I have to click through two priority passes for each one individually. I have had to do this for three loving turns. Fortunately he's going to die at the beginning of his next one so I won't have to sit through this poo poo again. At one point the button bugged out and said "Continue to combat Blood Cauldron Ritualist" and yes, I am continuing to combat the Ritualist. But jesus loving christ, what a miserable way to win.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

Glidergun posted:

I decided to pop in to see what the second round of campaign content is like. Overall, it's pretty interesting. But...

There's one fight against the Shin'hare Abductor after the ship section. Initially, they have 1000 HP but all your damage mills the enemy. Okay, cool concept. After a certain point, they transform into Shin'gami. This rear end in a top hat resurrects every cheap dude in his graveyard at the end of every turn, and then makes anything still left in his graveyard cheaper. Whatever, after the first unpleasant surprise I got myself up to a few hundred HP with Ozawa, so he can't even attack me to death, and his library is super low so it's just a matter of waiting for him to deck.

But this rear end in a top hat has a Blood Cauldron Ritualist and multiple Shin'hare Eulogists, so what he is doing is sacrificing every single one of his 80-odd lovely shinhare. One at a time. I have to click through two priority passes for each one individually. I have had to do this for three loving turns. Fortunately he's going to die at the beginning of his next one so I won't have to sit through this poo poo again. At one point the button bugged out and said "Continue to combat Blood Cauldron Ritualist" and yes, I am continuing to combat the Ritualist. But jesus loving christ, what a miserable way to win.
Yeah, that fight can get annoying. You can't even mill Shin'gami to death with the usual cards since it has 5(?) copies of Runts of the Litter with the added effect of "If this card goes directly from your deck to the crypt, return it to your deck." Alternatively though, you can play cards like Oracle Song (can target enemy champion) or Fuel for the Fire (both champions draw) to help speed up the decking out.

If I had to do the fight again, using Purging Flames, Frost Wizard or Crucible of Morvarth to void their graveyard would probably help as well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Additionally, if you're looking for ways to 'mill' your opponent to death without stocking their graveyard (in this fight or in general) then Relentless Corruption takes a little while to get going but will do the job.

I ended up actually playing Comet Strike against a few of the more annoying graveyard-based AI opponents. If they've spent a long time already jerking themselves off setting up, then it's a great way to ensure that all their bullshit goes away forever regardless of what zone it's currently in.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
New set announced, still no date but hopefully soon!

I'm really looking forward to it, despite this sick-nasty logo;

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just started playing this game. The client seems kinda... clunky but the PvE seems interesting! What combinations other than Elf Ranger are recommended/not recommended for a beginner?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Coyotle Cleric is always real good and there are plenty of great common / uncommon clerics for the class affinity stuff

I didn't want to spam the thread but there have been a ton of Set 6 spoilers coming out, some real good stuff imo

Plus the new champions!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

All those champions look like garbage to me, maybe you average 1 more dreadling with Slagpot and it's got more health than the current dreadling champ but I think dreadlings are a new player trap in general with limited to begin with.

I'll be doing a sale for set 6 boosters, I'll update when it gets near release!

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I have hit Gold 2 with this deck but I am feeling I need to start really tuning it some. At least setting up a side board of some kind. Don't know the meta much so need some advice on what to look for and what to swap out.

Champion: Malzok

Troops (15)
4 Thunderfield Seer
4 Starcaller Ancient
3 Empress of Ice
4 Thunderfield Elder

Actions (24)
2 Arcane Focus
3 Transmogrifade
4 Chronic Madness
3 Frostbite
2 Countermagic
2 Oracle Song
4 Lanupaw's Sight
4 Azure Fang Decree

Resources (21)
21 Sapphire Shard

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

woo boy

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
So I've found myself playing Hex again. How's the new PvE zone?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Hey folks, I'm back. Playin PvP with a new/reworked dreadling deck. Got two too many cards, but no idea what I should take out. Any suggestions?

7 Wild
7 Blood
2 Well of Ancients
4 Shard of Ancients
4 Mon'sagi lily pad

2 Blood Bearer
2 Hop'hiro
3 Moon'ariu Sensei
3 Dread Botanist
3 Acolyte of Shoku
3 Naive Lackey
3 Carnasaurus
2 Crocosaur

3 Chlorophilia
3 Xentoth's Malice
3 Dormant One
3 Dread Factory
3 Living Factory
2 Oberon's Eulogy

Total - 62 cards

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 12, 2017

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
you have '3 Naive Lackey' listed twice, I assume that's just a mistake?

I myself would get rid of Living Factorys or maybe just 1x Living Factory and 1x Dread Botanist - I know these are your powerhouses but like individually they are some of the least-impact cards in the deck and you still have a lot of dreadling generation besides

edit; also

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Grim posted:

you have '3 Naive Lackey' listed twice, I assume that's just a mistake?

I myself would get rid of Living Factorys or maybe just 1x Living Factory and 1x Dread Botanist - I know these are your powerhouses but like individually they are some of the least-impact cards in the deck and you still have a lot of dreadling generation besides

edit; also

I'll try it out. And, yeah, just a mistake, count was accurate aside from that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Afgad posted:

So I've found myself playing Hex again. How's the new PvE zone?

Pretty cool. Significantly more challenging and with greater encounter variety and more elaborate dungeon design. Opinions seem mixed on the brief ship-based section but I like it. It enables some funky combos and while it sucks that certain sorts of deck aren't viable (e.g. lifegain), it encourages shaking up your winning formula. And man, mercenaries are awesome.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
As someone with a lifetime draft i'm thrilled with the new gauntlet draft. I'd given up even rare drafting because of how long it took with the little time I had to dedicate to the game.

Now all i need is an ios client. When is that coming?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Rhaegar posted:

Now all i need is an ios client. When is that coming?

Never, it was one of those kickstarter promises that couldn't be done, the game is too demanding for tablet devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah, not a surprise to hear that. Oh well.

• Locked thread