Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Dreadnaught PSA, because unless you are lucky enough to end up in the number 2 gun spot on a thing that only sometimes shows up you would never know this.

The number 2 position on the dreadnought has two sets of giant gently caress off guns, but they are quite short range compared to the main battery, and they have a 270 degree firing arc to the STERN of the ship. I spawned in, and the driver didn't know this (see above) and I couldn't shoot at gently caress all for most of the time because he's sitting back and using his big guns and not steaming in to give me a firing angle. If you drive the boat, for the love of god get in close enough and at an angle that your arse batteries can poo poo hot loads onto the battlefield, thank you.

Also, the fortress gun on the Empire's Edge A flag loving owns. You can lock yourself in, then fully cover the C, D and E flags, plus the courtyard at B, and can fire once every 5 seconds without needing to look away while you walk the shells in. I just went 32 - 8 thanks to some wicked sessions in there. If you play Italians on that map, you gotta try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Dreadnaught PSA, because unless you are lucky enough to end up in the number 2 gun spot on a thing that only sometimes shows up you would never know this.

The number 2 position on the dreadnought has two sets of giant gently caress off guns, but they are quite short range compared to the main battery, and they have a 270 degree firing arc to the STERN of the ship. I spawned in, and the driver didn't know this (see above) and I couldn't shoot at gently caress all for most of the time because he's sitting back and using his big guns and not steaming in to give me a firing angle. If you drive the boat, for the love of god get in close enough and at an angle that your arse batteries can poo poo hot loads onto the battlefield, thank you.

Also, the fortress gun on the Empire's Edge A flag loving owns. You can lock yourself in, then fully cover the C, D and E flags, plus the courtyard at B, and can fire once every 5 seconds without needing to look away while you walk the shells in. I just went 32 - 8 thanks to some wicked sessions in there. If you play Italians on that map, you gotta try it.

Play as scout, set a fire trap at the top and bottom of the stairs, and pound the poo poo out of everything on the battlefield with that turret. The cherry on top is when a pilot has had enough of your antics and comes to bomb you and you shoot him down too.
To a lesser extent, the field gun at F on that map is great for wrecking dudes hiding in the towers at C and D and crawling around the surrounding hillsides. You can really help your team control those objectives from that gun.
LMG chat, I used to use the Benet mercie, but the small magazine always irked me. So I switched to the MG15 suppressive and while it's decidedly not as good, the never need to reload bullet hose drawing from an infinite well factor makes up for it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's like, I've struggled to find my groove on that map for so long, and now I have an official happy place to retreat to and I'm calling dibs.

I too have recently been experimenting with the MG 15 Suppressive. Not enough to replace my Benet Mercie, now on 4 service stars, but it's definitely a good thing to use on longer range engagements. Covering the open flanks on Suez, shooting down into the valley on Monte Grappa etc. Anywhere you don't fancy running across open ground or into the close quarters clusterfuck, get the bipod up and throw all the bullets downrange. I don't like the claustrophobia of staring down a telescopic sight, it gets me killed a lot, but for those wide open spaces it's both viable and good and useful.

I'm going to give the Lewis Supressive another chance in the same role as someone upthread said it got buffed. More ways to use more guns in more roles can only be a good thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like the Lewis suppressive more than I like the mg15 suppressive. Not sure why, just feels nicer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

It's like, I've struggled to find my groove on that map for so long, and now I have an official happy place to retreat to and I'm calling dibs.

I too have recently been experimenting with the MG 15 Suppressive. Not enough to replace my Benet Mercie, now on 4 service stars, but it's definitely a good thing to use on longer range engagements. Covering the open flanks on Suez, shooting down into the valley on Monte Grappa etc. Anywhere you don't fancy running across open ground or into the close quarters clusterfuck, get the bipod up and throw all the bullets downrange. I don't like the claustrophobia of staring down a telescopic sight, it gets me killed a lot, but for those wide open spaces it's both viable and good and useful.

I'm going to give the Lewis Supressive another chance in the same role as someone upthread said it got buffed. More ways to use more guns in more roles can only be a good thing.

Definitely set the zoom on the MG15 optics to minimum (I think it only goes as low as 2x). I would love it if you could put a simple crosshair or iron site on the MG15 suppressive. I guess it's a balancing thing but I miss being able to choose what optics you want to put on a gun.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
What BAR do people prefer? I'm usually a mg15 suppressive user but want a different lmg for the more compact maps. Something that would be really good from hip fire instead of bipod prone.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Nash posted:

What BAR do people prefer? I'm usually a mg15 suppressive user but want a different lmg for the more compact maps. Something that would be really good from hip fire instead of bipod prone.

I think Trench is best from the hip but Storm is best overall. The ADS is really good as long as you're not sniping and the hipfire is far from lovely.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Put AA sights on the BAR Storm. It is also surprisingly good at range when you put it on single shot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I posted weeks ago about a problem with things like K bullets and zeroing distance not ever displaying on my screen. The fix to this problem is to go into your settings and change your display inventory setting to "while active". Having it on "show" isn't good enough. I would have thought that "hide" meant never show it, and "Show" meant always show it, it seems that "While active" is what you need to set it on for these things to show up.

I also find it annoying how basic match information is divided up among screens. I haven't learned all the map names yet, and it's annoying that you can only see the name of the map on the spawn selection screen. It doesn't show up on the scoreboard. I also wish that the match score showed up on the scoreboard, because it goes away in the deathcam view. I can still look at the scoreboard, but I can't see the team scores. I feel like this is basic stuff that should be accessible pretty much any time during the match and it's dumb that you can only see it on certain screens during certain states.

Otherwise, still having a lot of fun. MG15 Storm is definitely my favorite LMG right now. I've been trying to play around with scout enough to unlock the experimental gun, but it is slow going.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I recently learned that two K bullets take out a plane's engine and it's meant now I only run flares and k bullets.

I tried the explosive tripwire but didn't have much success other than the hilarity of baiting cavalry to ride straight into one.

Scout is my favorite class. It's a shame so many people play it so passively and end up with poo poo stat lines like 5/3 with no flag caps.

Honestly so much of this game is poorly explained. The flare gun just says "This flare gun shoots projectiles which reveal enemies in their vicinity"
but when you use it, it only shows enemies on your map. It fails to mention the rather important distinction that it 3D spots (like the spotting button) enemies in its radius, but only for your teammates and not for you.

So hardly anyone uses it because it doesn't help you at all unless you're within minimap range. It really should tell you SOMEWHERE how big of an effect it has on your team.

Also you can get kills with it which is always hilarious.

Other poo poo like the medic symbol over downed teammates flashing if they're skipping revive is told nowhere as far as I can tell and has a huge impact on medic play. It doesn't tell you that skipping revive doesn't spawn you any faster and i think less people would do it if they knew.

Is the fact that MGs get more accurate with sustained fire explained anywhere? Because it's pretty loving important and I had to find out on the internet. Or the weird cool down for anti tank mines.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Call me crazy, but is there a way to DDOS people on Xbox Live? I was in the middle of a artillery truck tear and suddenly experienced lag like I'd never seen. Three network symbols were visible on the right side of my screen (I'd only ever seen two) and they were all red. I experienced awful rubberbanding for about a minute before getting dropped and losing connection to EA's servers and Xbox Live. If this wasn't coincidental and I angered somebody that much I'm almost proud.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
yeah I feel super :tinfoil: every time but that happens to me on BF1 and SWBF. We'll swing a close game or I'll pull some really lucky multi-kills and then suddenly it feels like nerdrage is clogging the internets :3:

Pleads posted:

The way this scene played out made me laugh harder than anything else in this game.
http://i.imgur.com/KepnQgP.gifv

l m b o

Snak posted:

I also find it annoying how basic match information is divided up among screens. I haven't learned all the map names yet, and it's annoying that you can only see the name of the map on the spawn selection screen. It doesn't show up on the scoreboard. I also wish that the match score showed up on the scoreboard, because it goes away in the deathcam view. I can still look at the scoreboard, but I can't see the team scores. I feel like this is basic stuff that should be accessible pretty much any time during the match and it's dumb that you can only see it on certain screens during certain states.

DICE posted:

"gently caress you and die"

Trillhouse posted:

Honestly so much of this game is poorly explained.

Other poo poo like the medic symbol over downed teammates flashing if they're skipping revive is told nowhere as far as I can tell and has a huge impact on medic play. It doesn't tell you that skipping revive doesn't spawn you any faster and i think less people would do it if they knew.

Is the fact that MGs get more accurate with sustained fire explained anywhere? Because it's pretty loving important and I had to find out on the internet. Or the weird cool down for anti tank mines.

DICE posted:

"go home, turn on the oven, stick your head in, and then shoot yourself"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

I recently learned that two K bullets take out a plane's engine and it's meant now I only run flares and k bullets.

I tried the explosive tripwire but didn't have much success other than the hilarity of baiting cavalry to ride straight into one.

Scout is my favorite class. It's a shame so many people play it so passively and end up with poo poo stat lines like 5/3 with no flag caps.

Honestly so much of this game is poorly explained. The flare gun just says "This flare gun shoots projectiles which reveal enemies in their vicinity"
but when you use it, it only shows enemies on your map. It fails to mention the rather important distinction that it 3D spots (like the spotting button) enemies in its radius, but only for your teammates and not for you.

So hardly anyone uses it because it doesn't help you at all unless you're within minimap range. It really should tell you SOMEWHERE how big of an effect it has on your team.

Also you can get kills with it which is always hilarious.

Wait, what? Flares do this?? I mean I use them all the time playing scout, but I had no idea they Dorito spotted enemies for your squad!
Good to know about K bullets and planes, because Ks and flares is pretty much my main scout build. The other swaps the Ks for fire tripwires, which are by far the best tripwire. Don't even bother with the explodey ones.
There is a tip that pops up on the loading screens about LMGs becoming more accurate with sustained fire.

Pleads posted:

The way this scene played out made me laugh harder than anything else in this game.
http://i.imgur.com/KepnQgP.gifv

Give that guy a drat medal. Royal Order of Badassery.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I love k bullets. Makes it e z to locate snipers when they shoot at me truck

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

had a fun my moment, a bunch of dude hid under the floor boards of a house when a grenade blew open a hole, went prone and camped out to contest a flag so a threw an incendiary and listened to them scream while I waited outside. As the squad wipe bonus popped up I briefly felt like I should be disturbed until I remembered that burning people alive owns lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Lol I always feel like such an interloper when I hop in on the Euro Brexit crew and set nasally about with my A's and E's

Fun catching up with yall briefly tonight, might be back later if you're still around Snacks

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2SS7yRKsNY
The music track is to fulfill a promise I made to Gamerbabe and Vegans. Getting a melee kill on someone that just got revived will never get old.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I am proud to represent being dead almost 100% of the time you recorded

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Another example of how bullshit hitmarkers are: I got 3 hitmarkers, then a headshot hitmarker, another regular hitmarker, a second headshot hitmarker, and then finally a kill hitmarker.

Is anyone playing tonight? My server has devolved into a 5 v 6 conquest. Its very stupid.

Edit: suez should just be renamed "get spawn killed by snipers." gently caress this lovely game.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 6, 2017

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Holy cow, experimental scout with spot flare and incendiaryHE trap is loving awesome on war pigeons.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 6, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Ran into a fantastic bug tonight where I literally couldn't do damage with vehicles. Tried both an arty truck and a heavy tank, hit enemy vehicles dead-on multiple times from about five feet away, and nothing. Of course this didn't affect the enemies at all. real A+ stuff dice :thumbsup:

Seriously look at this poo poo. No hit marker, no vehicle damaged notification, no ricochet sound, nothing. I don't know how much more of a direct hit I can make.

http://i.imgur.com/Pm3QMnp.gifv

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I've had that several times but I think people just think I'm getting ricochets when I complain about it. But it's not ricochets because there's no hit marker, no sound effect, and I don't see the round bounce off. However it's only lasted several minutes each time and not all round for me. It's pretty frustrating

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Tried the BAR storm and can confirm it is both cool and good. Definitely my new go to for up close support.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah I've put six point blank shots into an armored car before without damaging it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone else try to get a service star with as many weapons as possible? I have 5,731 kills, and the most I have with a single weapon is 191.

So far I've got a service star with the following (in order of most kills):

Selbstlader M1916 Factory
Cavalry Sword
M1907 SL Sweeper
Cei-Rigotti Factory
Hellriegel 1915 Factory
Club
M1903 Experimental
Mondragon Storm
Gas Grenade
Autoloading 8 .25 Extended
Jambiya Knife
M1907 SL Trench
Model 10-A Hunter
Automatico M1918 Trench
Seblstlader 1906 Factory
Cei-Rigotti Trench
M97 Trench Gun Backbored
Hellfighter M1911
Hellfighter Trench Shotgun
Mars Automatic
Incendiary Grenade
M1907 SL Factory
MP 18 Experimental
M1903 Sniper
Autoloading 8 .35 Factory
Mondragon Optical

I've also got service stars on the Landship, Horse, and Arty Truck (1,289 kills with this bad boy)

I've been slowly working on getting a service star with the Kolibri, but it's slow going. I'm up to 36 now! :)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
http://i.imgur.com/6k6Kq6m.gifv

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

He needs to learn his limit.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
look man war is hell and we're all out of milk

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Any of the bone krew gonna be on tonight I'm 9 beers in and looking to shoot the man's and get some blood on the bartuk

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
You can hop on a horse and use the ammo and med pouches even if you didn't spawn as cavalry.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Skater h8er posted:

Any of the bone krew gonna be on tonight I'm 9 beers in and looking to shoot the man's and get some blood on the bartuk

I'll probably be on later tonight unless something comes up.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'll be on but later so your light weight rear end will probably be passed out already skater

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
Network Error Party!

can't seem to stay in a party tonight, keep getting a network error and dropping out.
the game is playing fine, it's just the party system that's jumped up it's own rear end.

going to keep trying, perhaps i'll turn it off and turn it on again... see if that helps.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Can confirm, solid state drive is the way to play this game and not hate it.

I load in a good 30-60 seconds before anyone else, have my choice of vehicles and can even tinker with loadouts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I load in a good 30-60 seconds before anyone else, have my choice of vehicles and can even tinker with loadouts.

100% this, SSD is the best thing to ever happen to my Xbox.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Rec me one. Waiting on a tank his hurting my kill farming

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

FastestGunAlive posted:

Rec me one. Waiting on a tank his hurting my kill farming

Literally any cheap SSD and a USB3 enclosure will run circles around the internal HDD.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah I don't even have a SSD and I can't get a plane 8/10 times.

Any external is better.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Welp just had the most one-sided game I've ever seen. Conquest on Ballroom blitz and we won 1000-237. Game ended in 13 minutes and we were basically spawn killing them the entire time. I ended up going 17-3 so I can't complain but I almost feel bad for the other team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SSD talk, I've read that improvements in loading/install times are marginal (i freakin love margins tho) but does an SSD reduce the noise of the console in any way? Because mine is a jet engine and it sounds like it could definitely melt steel beams.