Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
That trash on torment caught me with my pants down. I think I'll take an elemental attack to meet each requirement and just bring the physical wind team. Mages definitely not welcome for this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Servaetes posted:

That trash on torment caught me with my pants down. I think I'll take an elemental attack to meet each requirement and just bring the physical wind team. Mages definitely not welcome for this thing

Mages do fine, as long as you have BSB's on them. With AoE component, if possible.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

When does banner 2 hit?

For that matter, do they always follow the same delay between 1 and 2?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've done an 11-pull on every single SG banner since I've started, including 2 pulls on Keeper 2 when I already had a few dupes :sigh:

I was excited about Y'Shtola's Wall but it's almost taunting me now because I keep running into situations where I just can't quite get away with bringing her along.

edit: lol I just looked at that banner again and literally the only relic I don't have off of it aside from SG is Stardust Rod, which doesn't even seem very good. I have 2 Masamunes and 2 Twin Lances, somehow.

Drop Tyro for Y'shtola and RW something like Onion Kid BSB on her; wall is a direct replacement for multi break in terms of defense, and what you lose from multibreak in terms of offense, you gain in another actual damage dealer and another stacking Mag buff. And you can give her two breakdowns to tag the boss for medals.

Alphanerd can carry Protectga instead of Leviathan - there's no water medal and with another Mag buff, command 1 spam will do more damage anyway.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 7, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

KataraniSword posted:

Reflect. It can also dispel Triple, but that's a status only bosses get. By which I mean solely FF8 Cerberus.

Ultimate Dispel, if the name ever comes up in game or in this thread, removes all stat buffs, and is exactly why Ult Barthandelus was a bitch and a half when he was released.

Guess who's going to be FF13's Ultimate raid boss!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

victrix posted:

When does banner 2 hit?

For that matter, do they always follow the same delay between 1 and 2?

Monday.

And yes. Always three days later.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Attestant posted:

Mages do fine, as long as you have BSB's on them. With AoE component, if possible.

Yeah, I don't. I'm pretty woefully behind on BSBs. I've only got Locke, Yuna (lol), Zidane, Sephiroth, Squall, and Vanille. I've got the OSB for Cloud so I drag him to everything Zidane goes. But yeah outside of Vanille I'm in pretty bad shape for BSBs so I'm gonna try out physical groups and spam lifesiphon on trash

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It took me 2 days to work out a strategy but I managed to beat Ultima Weapon.

Tidus had Lifesyphon R2, Dismissal R3, and Energy Rain
Paine only had R1Snowspell Strike, R1 Saint's Cross, and Sword Dance
Penelo had R3 Curaga, R2 Diaga, and her BSB
Ramza had R1 FullBreak, R1 MagicBreakdown, and Shout
Tyro had R1 Curaja, R1 Shellga and Sentinel's Grimoire

Took pretty much everything I had to win. This would have been impossible without the friend Y'shtola with Asylum. That thing is downright broken. Even then though I had to time it and Evanescence perfectly to not get wiped with how fast the Ultimas were coming out at the end.
I'm sure this seems laughable (especially with the new Torment dungeons) to some who could probably do this with 1 or 2 characters but man does it feel satisfying to pull off. I'll never make fun of Penelo ever again either.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

CaptainPsyko posted:

I assume you mean Lightning because both Fang SSB's are single target. In which case... sort of.

So, first off, both the new SSB and the old one (Crushing Blow) are both AoE. The old one is 6.5 total lightning damage. The new one is 4.9 total lightning/non damage... and enthunder. Which boosts future lightning element SB's damage by 80%. (And lightning skills like our newest 5* Spellblade that Lightning would need to dive to use by 50%).

So, the old soul break is actually better... unless the enemy resists lightning, or you have both, in which case, the optimal play is to cast the new SSB, and then follow it up with the old SSB.

Yeah I meant Lightning, and I didn't notice the new one was AoE too.

This also doesn't take into account if you are going to damage cap on the old one, and if you have and regularly use Eiko's BSB for the 50% crit, yes? In those cases it's likely that the new one is pure better all the time? I did some lovely testing in the VII daily - did 3,500x8 with the new one and 9999x5 with the old one right after, then on a separate run did 3,500x8 with the new one and 6,000x8 with the new one after, with a crit or two of 9,000 - the total math ended up basically equal. If I had more crits then the better play would have been the new one both times, yes?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bilperkins2 posted:

Yeah I meant Lightning, and I didn't notice the new one was AoE too.

This also doesn't take into account if you are going to damage cap on the old one, and if you have and regularly use Eiko's BSB for the 50% crit, yes? In those cases it's likely that the new one is pure better all the time? I did some lovely testing in the VII daily - did 3,500x8 with the new one and 9999x5 with the old one right after, then on a separate run did 3,500x8 with the new one and 6,000x8 with the new one after, with a crit or two of 9,000 - the total math ended up basically equal. If I had more crits then the better play would have been the new one both times, yes?

Anything where it's going to matter, you probably aren't worried about capping.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Figured since I got Thyrus x3 and I have plenty of other mnd stat sticks I'd see what a 5*** looks like :v:

Cost like 2.5-3m gil :stare:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, I don't. I'm pretty woefully behind on BSBs. I've only got Locke, Yuna (lol), Zidane, Sephiroth, Squall, and Vanille. I've got the OSB for Cloud so I drag him to everything Zidane goes. But yeah outside of Vanille I'm in pretty bad shape for BSBs so I'm gonna try out physical groups and spam lifesiphon on trash

I'd say this is more the fight, and less what you have. If you could blitz them done one at a time, you could probably do this no problem. :shrug:

But no, they had to open Torment with one of the fuckiest "kill three bosses at the same time" boss fight.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

exdeath sent us to kill you, oink

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

should've included a ???-diff where they left them death-vulnerable

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ultima Weapon down, with a team of Vaan, Faris, P. Cecil, Y'shtola and Aerith. Vaan and Faris on Breakdown BSB duty, P. Cecil and Aerith with their BSBs for damage (and a bit of extra healing from Aerith), and Y'shtola as the primary healer with her BSB. RW was Deployment Tactics. Had to S/L once because Vaan got focused down on my first attempt before I could get all my mitigation going, but other than that, no real issues. :toot:

Deployment Tactics is hilarious on bosses that poo poo out AoE damage.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Inge posted:

Maybe drop tyro for yshtola and RW keepers tome - the burst commands are atk/mag and def/res breaks, bundled with proshellga and mblink. Dispel has a 10% counter rate I think, you can hit medal requirements once, and then not worry. If you get stung with dispel, S/L until you dont.

Thanks for this! I ended up sorta doing this and RWing Vessel of Fate instead, dropping Tyro for Faris so I could bring R2 Full Break so I had some mitigation for each phase. Didn't get dispeled at all, thankfully. Having Y'Shtola on backup healing duty was actually kinda helpful even though it made the fight kinda slow. Got a little hairy at the end when he did a vacuum wave + maelstrom combo and then an AoE thundaga right as my Wall wore off, but I just pushed through and raced him with chain stonega.

One of the tougher U++s for me in a while, which is weird because on paper it didn't look too bad at all. I really just need some relics for my support characters, since I always have to make suboptimal choices for stuff like dancers.

edit: Thanks to CaptainPsyko too!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a webpage out there for organizing/sorting/generally managing your ffrk relics and teams?

I really need to take stock of all my gear and sort out some potential teams. I'm pretty sure I have the parts for a strong mage team, but I don't know where to begin, and especially don't know what 5* abilities to hone and what upcoming banners to target for specific relic buffs/debuffs to support said team.

After this past orbfest and the glut of draws, I have enough orbs to get a few 5* R2 abilities (and I have a bunch of R1s), but I'm not sure where I'd get the most bang for my buck and having it all laid out cleanly would help with that.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I pulled on the new banner three times (yay bonus!) and got 2x Howling Soul, 2x Vega, 1x Mistilteinn, 1x Etro's Embrace, 2x AMP Coat , 1x Punisher and 4x Fang's Armguards. I think that gives me pretty decent coverage for FF13 for now? Are any of those items game changer enough to focus on the respective person for them (Sazh is the only one who I don't have unlocked as a character yet for those relics)? Updated spreadsheet below:

Related, is the best place to farm gil the dailies? I'm finding that gil is a huge blocker for me right now in terms of leveling up the equipment I have gotten, and it kind of sucks to be blocked by it. Anything past hard is fairly brutal, if anyone gets focused, they are gonna drop super fast on me.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
There's always gil dailies on Wed/Sat, though I would just push to complete the regular daily dungeons and other content while prioritizing needs to progress (ex: no reforging). If push comes to shove, do the gil dailies.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

victrix posted:

Is there a webpage out there for organizing/sorting/generally managing your ffrk relics and teams?

Not that I'm aware of but I wish there was. That's a great idea.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think there was one but it was already defunct by the time i tried it

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 7, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just make a spreadsheet on google docs to keep track of your equipment (or spells, orbs, whatever).

I have a physical and magic team "favourite" that I update any time I get an upgrade. Haven't really felt the need for anything further.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

IllegallySober posted:

Not that I'm aware of but I wish there was. That's a great idea.

FFRKProfiles?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did one last 50 pull on FF XIV and ended up with Alphinaud's BSB and two of Minfillia's Shield.

All told I now have Thyrus+++, both of Alhpinaud's relics, the shield and Papalymo's gloves.

Since they all have additional effects do they all play nice together?

What exactly does last stand do?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did one last 50 pull on FF XIV and ended up with Alphinaud's BSB and two of Minfillia's Shield.

All told I now have Thyrus+++, both of Alhpinaud's relics, the shield and Papalymo's gloves.

Since they all have additional effects do they all play nice together?

What exactly does last stand do?

Last Stand is a buff that will leave your character at 1 HP if they take lethal damage. Buff is consumed if it triggers. It's like reraise except the character stays alive and thus keeps all their (other) buffs.

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 7, 2017

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Alright, I could use some advice for Ultima weapon if anyone is willing.

My current team:

Papalymo (80/80) with leylines & blood of Espers, casting Firaja and Waterja
Y'shtola (80/80) with DMT and Stoneskin casting Magic breakdown and Curaja
Krile (87/99) with her BSB and Sharlayan Thaymaturge (increase black magic damage with a rod) casting Blizzaja and Thundaja
Selphie (70/80) with Dreamstage and battleforged casting curaga and shellga
Ramza (80/80) with shout and MM casting full break and mental break

I've been trying with Ramza RW Celes BSB, but I generally go down the last 1/4 of the battle. I can't seem to handle multiple doom ultimas back to back.

Other options:
OK (99/99) but no motes, Galuf (80/80) w/ his BSB, Steiner (80/80) and his imperil fire ssb, Terra (76/80) with tiara ssb, Leon (68/80) and his BSB, Bartz (65/65) and his defense ssb + unique sb

I'm not sure if it is doable for me at this point. Clearing Rubicante was a good feeling even if I can't complete the event considering I only started at the end of November.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Beasteh posted:

FFRKProfiles?

Hadn't heard of this, I'll check it out later today. Thanks!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I did a single roll on their roll simulator thing, for the Summoning banner.

Blood Sword, Veil of WiiU.

Now I'm just sad.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK I'm beginning to think that I'll have to use MC3s for the 250 Torment.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr Pepper posted:

OK I'm beginning to think that I'll have to use MC3s for the 250 Torment.

I mean, it's a big part of what they're for. What are you saving them for at this point, with an average of more than one a week coming in?

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

OK so I was wondering what I should be using my Major orbs for. I've currently got: all the Chain -gas, Titan, Full Charge, Full Break R2, Powerchain, Lightning Dive, Meteor Crush, Fires Within, Saint Cross, Gaia's Cross, Multibreak, Dark Zone, Reaping Scythe, Sapphire Shot.

Are there some key abilities I should be getting or should I hone something? Full Break is the only 5* ability I have honed up.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

TaintedBalance posted:

I pulled on the new banner three times (yay bonus!) and got 2x Howling Soul, 2x Vega, 1x Mistilteinn, 1x Etro's Embrace, 2x AMP Coat , 1x Punisher and 4x Fang's Armguards. I think that gives me pretty decent coverage for FF13 for now? Are any of those items game changer enough to focus on the respective person for them (Sazh is the only one who I don't have unlocked as a character yet for those relics)? Updated spreadsheet below:

AMP coat is a burst, which is always worth focusing on a character for, especially when you are just starting out. Etro's Embrace is pretty solid too, since it boosts your lightning damage on a character with easy access to lots of lightning damage (including the double-strike lightning spellblade that you get from this XIII event, which you can probably tackle with what you've got now).

Vanille's BSB (Mistileinn) is one of the best healing bursts in the entire game and you should absolutely 100% focus on her, since she will probably be on your A-team forever now.

Zebia posted:

OK so I was wondering what I should be using my Major orbs for. I've currently got: all the Chain -gas, Titan, Full Charge, Full Break R2, Powerchain, Lightning Dive, Meteor Crush, Fires Within, Saint Cross, Gaia's Cross, Multibreak, Dark Zone, Reaping Scythe, Sapphire Shot.

Are there some key abilities I should be getting or should I hone something? Full Break is the only 5* ability I have honed up.

YMMV based on your A-team composition, but after Full Break, honing Multi-Break once is super handy for AoE fights (like this current Torment dungeon).

Otherwise it's mostly very dependent on your setup.

I have an insanely good holy team so Saint's Cross was a no-brainer for me, but if you aren't in the same situation it might not be nearly as attractive. If you've got some really good Dragoon / Monk relics, Lightning Dive, Meteor Crush, and Fires Within might be handy (probably pick just one of those monk skills if you go that route, though.)

Powerchain + Full Charge is a nice combo to have around since it makes anybody with Combat / Celerity 5 into a very respectable damage dealer (also nice for CMs when you are stuck using weird characters). Tons of people can use Full Charge on its own too, which is still pretty strong if you've got haste applied.

Hard to go wrong with Multibreak, honing up Chain -gas, and then having Powerchain + Full Charge, imo.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 7, 2017

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
220 Cloud in JPN just kicked my poo poo in. I don't have much synergy gear and don't have any decent power break SBs to couple with the standards, so I'm doubting that's going to happen. I really underestimate how much the ability to read poo poo helps out in this game.

I don't recall there being one, but has there been any relics with an attack version of Vaan's BSB debuff? Because that'd be something I'd like to aim for.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zebia posted:

Lean into your relics; have Tidus's OSB? Consider Powerchain and Full Chage, or Sapphire Shot. His BSB? Consider Sapphire Shot. Got a good holy sword? Go go Saints Cross. Got an enelement Mage SB? Get the appropriate Chainga... etc.

Need help figuring out what fits your relics? Post the top tier of those.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So are these mini-CMs for the ++ and +++ fights going to be a thing from now on? I sure hope so.

edit: And when it says "with a party of 3 FFXIII heroes" does that mean I need at least 3 from XIII + 2 more of whatever, or does it want just 3 party members total?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 7, 2017

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Attestant posted:

I did a single roll on their roll simulator thing, for the Summoning banner.

Blood Sword, Veil of WiiU.

Now I'm just sad.

That's like winning a million dollars and then waking up, ouch. This is why I don't do roll sims, it's too painful.

Alphinaud strikes me as more of a PC gamer, seems silly that dena gave him a WiiU for his burst.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

FeralWraith posted:

220 Cloud in JPN just kicked my poo poo in. I don't have much synergy gear and don't have any decent power break SBs to couple with the standards, so I'm doubting that's going to happen. I really underestimate how much the ability to read poo poo helps out in this game.

I don't recall there being one, but has there been any relics with an attack version of Vaan's BSB debuff? Because that'd be something I'd like to aim for.

Lion's BSB from the last XI event in Japan (The Shantotto Limit Chain Banner).

Edit: if we're talking ATK/DEF Breakdown SBs in general, you can include Yuffie's USB, Irvine's BSB (with ATK/RES and MAG/DEF commands), Freya's BSB, Auron's old SSB, and Vaan's new SSB.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 7, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Gatcha simulators are a lot of fun. I tried one the other day for the upcoming FFT banner and got six of the same hat. I think if I'd pulled that in the game I'd have had a stroke.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So are these mini-CMs for the ++ and +++ fights going to be a thing from now on? I sure hope so.

edit: And when it says "with a party of 3 FFXIII heroes" does that mean I need at least 3 from XIII + 2 more of whatever, or does it want just 3 party members total?

3 total; they do these "use 3" CMs for FF13 events periodically and for basically no other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

CaptainPsyko posted:

3 total; they do these "use 3" CMs for FF13 events periodically and for basically no other game.

They did it for one FFVI event and a few FFVII events. There were also the annoying ones for FFX...

• Locked thread