Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Renaissance Robot posted:

This is a terrible Zybourne Clock reference, on account of how it actually makes some kind of sense.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Calaveron posted:

poo poo talking aside yeah, old paranatural consistently had backgrounds instead of pastel gradients and the occasional scene establishing splash page

I also prefer the older, more amateur looking art but I that's just my opinion

one out of those three panels is a wide shot establishing the scene, the rest are talking heads with gradients, same as panels are done now except Zack's gotten a lot better at using color and detail to pick out foreground from background. If every single panel had twenty kids pulling wacky faces in the background the comic would have Lackadaisy's update schedule.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just looked through chapter 3 and I want to see more Issac again, I like when he just started trashtalking the sphinx monster and also the Justice Hug

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also what ever happened to the plunger with the clone whale spirit in it?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Countblanc posted:

Also what ever happened to the plunger with the clone whale spirit in it?

Presumably, it's stored in the same place that the bat was stored. A generic dark closet in the middle of a hallway in the school.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Countblanc posted:

I just looked through chapter 3 and I want to see more Issac again, I like when he just started trashtalking the sphinx monster and also the Justice Hug

Isaac is super cool and good when he's forgetting to be an angsty teen.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Who What Now posted:

Isaac is super cool and good when he's forgetting to be an angsty teen.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

I love how the Ghost Train apparently has its own JRPG villain + flunkies + hobo ghost with backstory just hanging around inside it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What're the odds that the glowing isn't just artistic license, and that both of them are actually spectrals?

What if literally every student except Suzy is a spectral

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

She's paying a lot of stars for someone who doesn't pay.

Onean posted:

Huh. Nice...foreshadowing, I guess?

(Also, look at that difference.)

Looking at these right next to each other, Violet's spectral power is reverse aging apparently.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm hoping the latest update's setup might eventually lead to some of the secondary, non-spectral kids joining in on the main plot. It was already going to come up when Johnny goes Spectral and brings his gang with him into ghost business, they might as well fold in Lisa, Cody, Violet and Jeff to give the mundane perspective and cut down on stray plot threads - it might even help to have some non-Spectrals around since they're immune to a lot of ghost and spirit shenanigans. Suzy can stay in the dark I guess with the Vice Principal, the Student Council and anyone else who'd implicitly ruin the Spectral world by blabbing about it to the authorities.

I'd also like to see what the stars actually buy from Starchman himself at some point, if they're valuable enough to run a whole local economy off of. Usually school-teacher prize drawers are the domain of tootsie-rolls and bouncy balls.

Edit: bring Collin in on it too so he and Dmitri are both sabotaging Suzy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
if you're willing to take me at my word... i can say that... ghosts are real and make crimes happen, and all of your interpersonal problems are caused by a slimy puppet man

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Cody is pretty spooky tbh, I kinda wonder what his deal is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I remember when Cody's deal was just that he was nice and normal compared to all the other weirdo side characters, but nope, got to load him down with quirks too.

This has become the Bleach of webcomics.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So why you are reading it still then? Are you gonna be like everyone else in ADTRW where you are just gonna ride it out and just keep posting how it sucks? :v:

edit: Watch everyone was part of that club and they just decided to not mention it because Suzy is lame.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 6, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cody sucks now which is a shame but Violet is cool now so that's good

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

At this point I think Violet is supposed to be the Most Normal, although Cody's really just preternaturally positive. Also not totally clear why he can't go wait for Jeff by the office too?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH! :argh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dolash posted:

At this point I think Violet is supposed to be the Most Normal, although Cody's really just preternaturally positive. Also not totally clear why he can't go wait for Jeff by the office too?

Because he's more concerned with solving a perceived problem with action and violence than checking up on his friends wellbeing

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I think Violet's always been the most normal? I mean, she hasn't gotten that many speaking lines, but her character bio is literally "She's, like, cool and stuff."

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I remember when Cody's deal was just that he was nice and normal compared to all the other weirdo side characters, but nope, got to load him down with quirks too.

are you actually oxxidation or are you the guy with the similar name that switched avatars with oxxidation, the one who really hates dr who

and also hates basically everything

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Oxxidation posted:

Having character flaws doesn't make him a weirdo, you weirdo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Weird how all this angst and stuff is only showing up after someone got they arm broked. You'd think you'd get this kinda stuff in class while passing notes or walking home.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oxxidation posted:

Rambling plotlines and a tendency to make everyone ~the most special snowflake~ are fine. If Zack starts phoning in the art due to deadline pressure, then I'll be done with this comic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slime posted:

are you actually oxxidation or are you the guy with the similar name that switched avatars with oxxidation, the one who really hates dr who

and also hates basically everything

I'm the original. And I liked Paranatural a lot! My endorsement is in the OP (for some reason) and I made a lot of the earlier avatars for the thing.

But lately I just check up on it sporadically because it's got nothing left to offer me except cartoony faces and there's diminishing returns on that sort of thing, which is why I don't post in the thread much either. Story's stalled out in favor of developing a bunch of side characters who really don't need this much panel time (Cody's seriously worn out his welcome, for me) and even Zack's comedy is kind of wearing thin. "This is just like anime!" was cute when he was making it just one more expression of Isaac's histrionic angst, but he goes back to that well every other week and more and more he's using it as a crutch to excuse the pacing problems.

I'm not going to wave torches in the webcomic's face or anything, it's far from Dresden Codak. But it's definitely moved away from what it was promising in the first couple chapters in favor of endless sight gags and way, way too many plotlines.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 6, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmmm i read through all of paranatural again and the old stuff seems the same as the new stuff, except the new stuff has better art

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I look forward to returning to the bar scene in a month or two. Who are we going to cut to now?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

forge

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Boss Leader and Man-Lizard.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I want to know what Max's dad is getting up to

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think Oxx's criticisms are fair, and I can agree that there are pacing issues. The secondary character thing, for example - Hitball did a lot to flesh out and introduce the whole supporting school cast, but afterward it might've been a good time to take a break from them for a bit and focus on the ghost business that makes up the main plot. Come back in a later chapter to see more of the Hitball fallout, or more clearly tie the mundane kids to the Spectral plot by getting them involved in finding out what happened to Jeff (an idea which seems to have fizzled here with Max punting on telling them about ghosts).

This bar scene has been plodding and heavy-handed even if individual updates are funny with lots of silly art, it might be too early to draw this heavily on our attachment to "Two Gundams" Jeff and his contentious friendships. A shorter, faster, less-expository scene that doesn't become self-conscious and start making jokes about how over-elaborate the school's politics are halfway through could've worked better.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 6, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Violet practicing her mime skills in the last two panels

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
All these criticisms are accurate and I share them, but also Max's 'Well I'm not gonna do anything' is great fun.

Also ~webcomics~ but that's a lame cop-out argument to try and fully deflect criticism with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RandallODim posted:

All these criticisms are accurate and I share them, but also Max's 'Well I'm not gonna do anything' is great fun.

Also ~webcomics~ but that's a lame cop-out argument to try and fully deflect criticism with.

Honestly, It Hurts!! is a good counter to Paranatural at this point. Much rougher art, way more juvenile, but same kind of humor and with a story that's gone all over the loving map without stalling out or breaking down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Oxxidation posted:

Honestly, It Hurts!! is a good counter to Paranatural at this point. Much rougher art, way more juvenile, but same kind of humor and with a story that's gone all over the loving map without stalling out or breaking down.
How many anime tiddy does it have

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried to read it hurts and it was bad and then the twist happened and it was badder

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's easily the best goon webcomic, and in general at the top when it comes to the medium.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's easily the best goon webcomic, and in general at the top when it comes to the medium.

Tea-san is a goon too. :colbert:

It Hurts!!! is good but I can see someone not digging the VERY juvenile jokes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I dunno man, that's a pretty bold statement to say that it's better that Gunnerkrigg Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno man, that's a pretty bold statement to say that it's better that Gunnerkrigg Court.

I used to love GKC, but I stopped reading it for pacing reasons. I haven't yet stopped reading Paranatural.

For what that's worth!