Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Missing Name posted:

Yes. Maybe a bit of caraway

Are aluminum griddles any good? My cast iron skillet only holds one pancake at a time and the store has two burner griddles on sale.

They don't hold heat for poo poo, but if you have good burners they might work.

Better tho is to get a cast iron skillet that goes over a couple of burners. They're so good that you'll pretty soon find yourself using it for more than just pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Much more durable too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They don't hold heat for poo poo, but if you have good burners they might work.

Better tho is to get a cast iron skillet that goes over a couple of burners. They're so good that you'll pretty soon find yourself using it for more than just pancakes.

I have one of those and love it. Don't use it for pancakes though. Electric griddles are money for pancakes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What's the difference, pros/cons?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ranter posted:

What's the difference, pros/cons?

Cast iron holds heat. It will stay at temperature when you put a big thermal mass on it. That's why they're so good for things like browning meat. Electric griddles otoh are thinner metal but have a controller that manages the temperature to keep it even. I like electric for pancakes because they generally stay at temp better and pancakes are sensitive to that sort of thing. In fact, pancakes are a good way of showing you where the hot and cold spots are on your pan/burner set up.

The con for electric griddles is that they're yet another thing to have in your kitchen and yes you can totally do it the other way. They're just the best way imho

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a lodge cast iron griddle that goes across two burners. Even with the burners at 3/10 you get a hot spot on the center of each half of the pan and my pancakes look like breasts with dark aereollas.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Tell me more...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As they say in screenwriting class, show, don't tell.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goons posted:

Teflon isn't actually bad for you.

Huh, I've been hearing about it being terrible for you for quite awhile. I guess the conventional wisdom failed me on this one. I still might rather get a ceramic since I'll inevitably scrape or melt the teflon off...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Moon Monster posted:

Huh, I've been hearing about it being terrible for you for quite awhile. I guess the conventional wisdom failed me on this one. I still might rather get a ceramic since I'll inevitably scrape or melt the teflon off...

AFAIK ceramic is far worse as far as maintaining non-stick properties, at least everyone I know who bought one was pretty disappointed within a few months and went right back to teflon. :shrug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

AFAIK ceramic is far worse as far as maintaining non-stick properties, at least everyone I know who bought one was pretty disappointed within a few months and went right back to teflon. :shrug:

I got one on some gift cards and it was identical to about the best teflon pan I'd had but after probably 4-5 months of use ~3 mornings a week it went to complete poo poo. Definitely not worth the price increase over teflon.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Look, teflon is SO non stick, they had to invent a special glue or whatever to get it to stick to the pan.

Just use teflon and be happy.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there a difference between "nonstick" pans and capital-T Teflonᵀᴹ? My favorite pan has begun shedding its nonstick so it's sadly time for a new one, and I got it secondhand so I don't know what the hell it is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Teflon is a brand name trademarked by DuPont (who invented it), nonstick is the generic name. You can use them interchangeably like Kleenex and tissue.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

spankmeister posted:

Look, teflon is SO non stick, they had to invent a special glue or whatever to get it to stick to the pan.

Just use teflon and be happy.

I have no Teflon pans. I use cast iron when I want non stick.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have no Teflon pans. I use cast iron when I want non stick.

The poster here is deliberately skipping the fact that it takes time and care to build a non-stick coating on a cast iron pan.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nah, a cast iron pan sprang out of Wiggles' head, fully seasoned

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How long does miso keep? I've opened the package in November and put the miso in an airtight container in the fridge. How do you notice if its gone bad?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

How long does miso keep? I've opened the package in November and put the miso in an airtight container in the fridge. How do you notice if its gone bad?

Years? It's so salty I can't imagine anything growing in there for a long time. I have a jar that's 3 years old.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh, thats good to hear. Thanks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Miso has already gone off, it's kind of the idea. It was made to keep soy to last through the winter, so a few months in the fridge won't hurt.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ranter posted:

The poster here is deliberately skipping the fact that it takes time and care to build a non-stick coating on a cast iron pan.

They all come pre seasoned. Otherwise just "make bacon"

It's probably less csrento maintain a cast iron than it is to not destroy a teflon pan

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I love cast iron but can we not? There's zero chance your cast iron is as non stick as Teflon.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I love cast iron but can we not? There's zero chance your cast iron is as non stick as Teflon.

A yup.

Just buy the pan that Cooks Illustrated recommended: it's an Amazon #1 Best Seller, and it's only $26 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GWG0T2/

Hard to go wrong with that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

They all come pre seasoned. Otherwise just "make bacon"

It's probably less csrento maintain a cast iron than it is to not destroy a teflon pan

It's never gonna be as non-stick as teflon, it's not at all as easy to maintain as teflon and lastly, if a pan comes unseasoned, "just cook bacon" is not at all a viable way to get a good seasoning going.

Cast iron is really, really good for a lot of things and I love cooking with it, but it's not magic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

It's never gonna be as non-stick as teflon, it's not at all as easy to maintain as teflon and lastly, if a pan comes unseasoned, "just cook bacon" is not at all a viable way to get a good seasoning going.

Cast iron is really, really good for a lot of things and I love cooking with it, but it's not magic.

Wisdom.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

It's also not rocket science that takes 13 coatings of flaxseed oil

I realize that it's not teflon but it's just as easy (easier) to damage a teflon pan as it is to gently caress up a cast iron pan. There not that much care involved just don't do something dumb with either pan

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
So I'm looking for some basic advice with some curry masala powder. I like Indian food but haven't really cooked any myself. A buddy brought me two kinds of curry masala back from nepal (hot and not). I have a leg of lamb. My wife seems to think you add water to your curry masala mix in the right proportion to make a sauce, which seems right. Each packet is 100g and I'd like to make both spicy and mild lamb available. If it's right you add water to make a sauce, what's my water to powder ratio?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Polish Avenger posted:

So I'm looking for some basic advice with some curry masala powder. I like Indian food but haven't really cooked any myself. A buddy brought me two kinds of curry masala back from nepal (hot and not). I have a leg of lamb. My wife seems to think you add water to your curry masala mix in the right proportion to make a sauce, which seems right. Each packet is 100g and I'd like to make both spicy and mild lamb available. If it's right you add water to make a sauce, what's my water to powder ratio?

Water?

Most Indian cooking starts with cooking the spices in oil, generally ghee (butter oil), coconut oil, or mustard oil.
Check out Dino's thread, there is plenty of information.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

A yup.

Just buy the pan that Cooks Illustrated recommended: it's an Amazon #1 Best Seller, and it's only $26 bucks.

I had one of those in Korea. It was nice but I didn't like it for meat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Polish Avenger posted:

Like Squashy said, the spices are generally cooked in oil to bloom them. My general steps for a curry are:

1. Season the protein with a little of the curry powder and some salt then par cook it, I do this to get some of the flavor into the meat and because it gets some of the moisture out of the meat which helps in controlling the consistency of the sauce.
2. I bring my oil/ghee up to temperature and cook the spices in it for a little while, I do this on high heat but the spices can burn easily so you might want to stick to low or medium heat until you get the hang of it.
3. I stop the cooking by adding diced onions/peppers/whatever and then cook the veggies until they have become soft and translucent.
4. I add my protein back in, add coconut milk, bring up to a simmer and cook for a while at a slow simmer until it's done. How long this takes depends on your meat, the veggies and so on. Serve the curry over rice.

These are just very generalized steps, there are so many ways to make curry that it's hard to be more exact than this. For instance if I am doing a chicken curry I don't really brown the chicken very much unless it's skin on, for a lamb curry I would get a nice crust on the lamb before continuing.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Like Squashy said, the spices are generally cooked in oil to bloom them. My general steps for a curry are:

1. Season the protein with a little of the curry powder and some salt then par cook it, I do this to get some of the flavor into the meat and because it gets some of the moisture out of the meat which helps in controlling the consistency of the sauce.
2. I bring my oil/ghee up to temperature and cook the spices in it for a little while, I do this on high heat but the spices can burn easily so you might want to stick to low or medium heat until you get the hang of it.
3. I stop the cooking by adding diced onions/peppers/whatever and then cook the veggies until they have become soft and translucent.
4. I add my protein back in, add coconut milk, bring up to a simmer and cook for a while at a slow simmer until it's done. How long this takes depends on your meat, the veggies and so on. Serve the curry over rice.

These are just very generalized steps, there are so many ways to make curry that it's hard to be more exact than this. For instance if I am doing a chicken curry I don't really brown the chicken very much unless it's skin on, for a lamb curry I would get a nice crust on the lamb before continuing.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

A yup.

If'n you've got a Big Lots in your neighborhood, it's a stock item and even cheaper there! Sub-$20.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I do the same, usually end up tossing in the ginger / garlic paste to stop the spices from burning.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

It's never gonna be as non-stick as teflon

Speak for yourselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq1ZOG1KLy8

All it took was an angle grinder, a sanding wheel, several hours of baking on flaxseed oil and then vegetable oil on top of those...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 7, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It looks like there's oil in there, right? Teflon is nonstick even with zero oil.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah but almost anything you'd cook should have a bit of oil. Eggs may not stick but they are not great without oil.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a resource with a massive list of food internal temperatures?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a resource with a massive list of food internal temperatures?

like, safe temps? Your government should have a health website that lists this kind of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

JawKnee posted:

like, safe temps? Your government should have a health website that lists this kind of stuff

I was thinking that along with cook at X temp for medium rare, x temp for safety in fish, etc. like a cooks list more than the USDA recommendation.