Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

signalnoise posted:

This should be a simple question. What do I buy and how do I use it? I want to make these bases en masse:

Just a bunch of dirt and gravel or whatever. I assume there's something tailor made for this that I can buy in a tub.

Easiest but not the cheapest are GW texture paints - they come in a variety of colors and are basically regular paint mixed with grit. You just spread it on your base with something like an old popsicle stick or a sculpting tool or whatever, let it dry, and maybe give it a wash and/or a drybrush. Done. Easy, fast, and even the smaller cans actually last pretty long, all things considered.

Nowadays they come in two variants per color - one has thicker grit that tends to dry more 'chunky' and uneven, the other smaller and more even. If you want a bit of a texture difference, you could just paint patches of one and fill things up with the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Black Lava texture gel is good for a quick rough texture and add a few pinches of sand or cork to places for thick gravel/rocks.

Bulbasaur had a nice basing guide earlier in the thread, although the image linking is acting funny for me.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Cross post from the scale model thread but I thought it involves painting so someone might like it here.

There is a nice guy who's just started his own photography firm working from the same village I'm in so I popped over today to see what some proper shots of my models would look like.

I think they are nice shots and I've given him some Gamesworkshop mans and some other 1:35 tanks to have a go with. See what you think.

If any one is really interested I can link to the original 6016x4016 HQ images.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:swoon:

Oh dank I remember that Tau suit and plane, absolutely love the blue on the fighter.

Can you share your secrets for the weathering, especially the mud on the tank!

I should really lurk the scale modelling thread to improve the weathering on my Iron Warriors.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
JFC big_g those are mastrerful.

Anybody use this?

I got some of these because Home Despot doesn't carry Krylon, so far I've only used it on some plastic terrain and some small low detail Star Trek ships. Has anyone used it on actual mini's? Seems fine so far, but when I turned it upside down to clear the nozzle it just kept on spraying.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 7, 2017

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Rustoleum primer is good stuff although I've only used the black. Can't say I've been able to spray mine upside down, though, but is it actually paint or just propellant you're seeing?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

darnon posted:

Rustoleum primer is good stuff although I've only used the black. Can't say I've been able to spray mine upside down, though, but is it actually paint or just propellant you're seeing?

Actual paint, and lots of it, but I only tried to clear it for about 6 seconds before I gave up. Later I did some actual painting while holding it at inverse angles. Still worked fine.

Very little overspray/paint haze, it's kinda nice. Probably wont go back to Krylon.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I use Rustoleum for semigloss black and flat grey priming, they're pretty great generally, and its really hard to spray too much and obscure details with them.

White Rustoleum I've had less luck with; it seems to pool a lot and require multiple coats to cover a piece. I used Krylon Maxx white yesterday and it went on evenly and dried very fast (only issue I had was that the first spray was filled with solid backed-up paint, once that was cleared out everything was fine).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any recommendations for a good snow flock that's both usually available in stores, and not crushed glass?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Pyrolocutus posted:

Any recommendations for a good snow flock that's both usually available in stores, and not crushed glass?

GW Valhallan Blizzard worked well for me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gale Force 9 Snow is okay, it's basically white coloured grit. You'd want to mix it with some PVA and white paint, apply it to the base, then sprinkle some more over the top.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Thanks! I'll check them both out.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You might want to check this vid out too, she starts with ice then shows off some snow effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJyxP1mVhoo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Here's a zombie dog I based with the Gale Force 9 stuff, IMO snow basing looks best when applied in clumps rather than one smooth surface.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The GW snow is just Woodland Scenics but repackaged for 5 times as much.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

signalnoise posted:

This should be a simple question. What do I buy and how do I use it? I want to make these bases en masse:

Just a bunch of dirt and gravel or whatever. I assume there's something tailor made for this that I can buy in a tub.

Had great luck with Golden Course Pumice Gel. Very similar to the other suggestions, don't think you can go wrong. This stuff dries hard and actually can supplement as an adhesive of sorts for some pebbles/cork thrown in for some variety. Really rough on brushes when dry so just use a cheaper synthetic. Drybrushes like a champ, it's definitely my choice for a mix of return to effort in basing.

e: Here's a quick photo of the gel on the base by itself, quickly painted dark brown with a light brown drybrush, and then the unpainted gel with some additional gravel added while it was drying.

parabolic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 8, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah my vallejo pumice dries hard as rock you can stick rocks, treats etc onto bases with just that

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The GW snow is just Woodland Scenics but repackaged for 5 times as much.

Unless they've changed it, they're a little different. The Citadel snow I have is more like a very short static grass, where the Woodland Scenics is a traditional flock. I've never actually used the Citadel stuff (got it for free from the store owner) so I'm not sure if it makes any difference in the final product though.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Fyrbrand posted:

Unless they've changed it, they're a little different. The Citadel snow I have is more like a very short static grass, where the Woodland Scenics is a traditional flock. I've never actually used the Citadel stuff (got it for free from the store owner) so I'm not sure if it makes any difference in the final product though.

The new Valhallan Blizzard stuff I mentioned is actually not like either of those, it's not a flock that you have to glue down, it's more like the texture paints and you apply it similarly:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I keep getting small specks of something in my paint after thinning it on my palette - thought it may be dust but the room/workspace are clean. What is this and how do I avoid it?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

I keep getting small specks of something in my paint after thinning it on my palette - thought it may be dust but the room/workspace are clean. What is this and how do I avoid it?
Looks like you're using a wet palette. What do you use to mix your paint when you thin it? A brush or something else? I had the same thing happen when I was using a paper with too short fibers and mixing with the wooden end of a brush.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

Dried paint from your paintbrush. Brush soap helps get that out.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I use a brush to mix my paint and I clean it with a pot of "Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver" (I think I saw that recommended here). I guess I don't clean it thoroughly enougn :v

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ayn Marx posted:

I use a brush to mix my paint and I clean it with a pot of "Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver" (I think I saw that recommended here). I guess I don't clean it thoroughly enougn :v
Are you dipping the brush completely into paint when you're mixing? Paint can get up into the heel/ferrule and just kinda live there for a long time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It can also creep up there if your paints are thinned a lot, I've made a lot of brushes unhappy that way.

A lot.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ijyt posted:

It can also creep up there if your paints are thinned a lot, I've made a lot of brushes unhappy that way.

A lot.

Yeah, Capillary action is friend of washes, enemy of brushes. You can mitigate it by wetting your brush beforehand though.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Are you dipping the brush completely into paint when you're mixing? Paint can get up into the heel/ferrule and just kinda live there for a long time.

Guilty!

Thanks guys, that helps

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Go to an art supply store like Guiry's or Michael's and get a brush cleaning jar with a metail coil in it. Just fill it with water--no fancy brush cleaning soap. Stroking the coil with your brush will remove paint from it and it will simk to the bottom. Don't run it along the course of the coil, just stroke it across the diameter of the coil. They look like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/silicoil-brush-cleaning-tank/

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Trying to paint for maximum speed at the expense of quality is an interesting experiment

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I was perusing ebay and I found more case studios for "thin your paints"

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Does anyone here know of a company that makes a product similar to GW's old Dead grass?

They stopped selling it and I have two armies that use it and I need replacements.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/StaticGrassFlock
http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13166

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

General Olloth posted:

The group shot is a good case for both "thin your paints" as well as "seal your minis". Those are some nasty scrapes.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Olloth posted:

And yet, you don't post them in the unspiration thread, which is starved for content at the moment :colbert:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660745

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

And yet, you don't post them in the unspiration thread, which is starved for content at the moment :colbert:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660745

Whoops, bookmarked the thread and cross posted

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good man ;)

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Star Man posted:

Go to an art supply store like Guiry's or Michael's and get a brush cleaning jar with a metail coil in it. Just fill it with water--no fancy brush cleaning soap. Stroking the coil with your brush will remove paint from it and it will simk to the bottom. Don't run it along the course of the coil, just stroke it across the diameter of the coil. They look like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/silicoil-brush-cleaning-tank/

Ordered me one of those. Thanks, that looks interesting :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How would you suggest I paint my scourge to match these tyranids?

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/3/10/472050_md-Battlefleet%20Gothic%2C%20Hive%20Fleet%2C%20Sculpting%2C%20Tyranids.JPG

The balance of purple, cream and black seems to go really well, and the Scourge ships only really seem to have two 'bits' to paint, that is the smooth section and the ridges:
http://tinyhordes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Scourge-fleet-Dropfleet-Commander.jpg

Would appreciate any thoughts or insight on how to achieve it. :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'd go tips of the spines in pink, mass of the ship in peach, ridge edges in bone/black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

ijyt posted:

:swoon:

Can you share your secrets for the weathering, especially the mud on the tank!

Thanks very much, as I can remember the mud effect was made up of layers of dried MIG pigments, then the same mixed with white plaster of paris and water into a goo which was then loaded onto an old tooth brush and then at the back sprayed with the air pressure from an empty airbrush to "splatter" onto the muddier areas.