Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Empress Brosephine posted:

im moving in a few weeks and seriously debating on just throwing away all my cases that aren't special (so any non criterion) and just chucking all these discs into a binder...how much of a heretic am i?!

Somewhere between people who only watch movies on a laptop and people who don't immediately turn off their phones in movie theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I honestly can't feel like much is lost with just plain blue eco cases. Even when I'm about to finally put stuff back on a shelf, the plain discs are staying in the binders, while I'll just put stuff like Criterions, Flicker Alley, special editions, gift sets, etc. out on display.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i sat next to a girl who would look down her shirt and onto her chest and use her cell phone in her shirt. I was quite impressed.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Binders 4 lyfe. Screw packaging; with over 200 films I don't have room for all that. I'm the worst, I know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

smallmouth posted:

Binders 4 lyfe. Screw packaging; with over 200 films I don't have room for all that. I'm the worst, I know.

I have pretty much that number of videos, plus I collect records, and read comic books. Please kill me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
All of my movies are in totes in my closet. I use to have a big rotating dvd shelf before I digitized my collection.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I am ripping all my DVDs into Kodi, and keeping just my blurays on the shelf. I am also thinking about moving my CDs into a binder or these so I can keep the liner stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does ripping still take like a hour per movie

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does ripping still take like a hour per movie

It takes significantly longer to do a quality Blu-Ray rip. I'd allude to something :wink: but I don't want to eat another probation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not an hour, but it takes a while the way I do it. I rip the whole ISO because I want to keep the menus and everything that was on the disk (down to those annoying FBI warnings). I imagine it's about 20 minutes to rip and encode just the feature film using Handbrake.

^^ Yeah, I'm not trying to rip Blurays. It'll be a couple of years before hard drives can store full ISOs, and be affordable enough for my collection.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I've sold some of those multiple movie DVD or Blu packs and bought the movies individually instead just so they would look nicer on the shelf.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I wouldn't mind ripping the ISO hmm does plex play isos?

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 8, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Which release of the Back to the Future trilogy is better, 2010 or 2015? I'm finally biting the bullet and moving on from my 2003 DVDs.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
What's the roadmap of Looney Tunes on blu ray? I just got Volume 1 and 3 of the platinum collection (and will be getting vol 2 when I can get a third-party Amazon sender to deliver internationally at not-terrible rates), and I'm seeing a few other lines popping up in related. Is there any overlap between sets?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

What's the roadmap of Looney Tunes on blu ray? I just got Volume 1 and 3 of the platinum collection (and will be getting vol 2 when I can get a third-party Amazon sender to deliver internationally at not-terrible rates), and I'm seeing a few other lines popping up in related. Is there any overlap between sets?

There's only four Blu-Ray releases. The three Platinum sets and the Chuck Jones Mouse Chronicles set.

https://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-Mouse-Chronicles-Collection/dp/B0081LTBR8/ref=tmm_mfc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Not sure what the rationale for the set was since it's made up of the 12 Sniffles cartoons, plus all the Hubie & Bertie shorts and a few others Jones directed. Also has an additional 11 cartoons in SD, most of which aren't on even the Golden Collection sets. I'm guessing that it's leftovers of what would have been the 4th set since all the Sniffles cartoons were brand new masters.

Same thing happened with the Super Stars 1-disc DVDs. Except for one or two cartoons, everything was from new remasters with the same quality as the Golden Collection sets.

edit: I think there's some budget 1-disc Blu-Rays, but they're just disc one of the platinum sets, so you can avoid those.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 8, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$9.99 - Swiss Army Man (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Army-M...85c1dcc86a132a1

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Which release of the Back to the Future trilogy is better, 2010 or 2015? I'm finally biting the bullet and moving on from my 2003 DVDs.

Same transfer, they're both terrible and waxy. Like, almost Predator waxy. A real shame. But the 2015s fix an sync error that some folks had so they're definitely the ones to get.

Ideally track down the pirate HDTV transfrer that's floating around, it's really solid. Buy the blus too, though, because the special features are solid.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Same transfer, they're both terrible and waxy. Like, almost Predator waxy. A real shame. But the 2015s fix an sync error that some folks had so they're definitely the ones to get.

Ideally track down the pirate HDTV transfrer that's floating around, it's really solid. Buy the blus too, though, because the special features are solid.

I found Part III to look excellent. Part II isn't quite as waxy, but I think it has more noise reduction because of the heavy amount of effects.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Has anyone watched the Miami Vice series on blu ray yet? I'm talking about the tv series, not the movie. I kind of want to get it, but I heard that it's not in widescreen.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

John Yossarian posted:

Has anyone watched the Miami Vice series on blu ray yet? I'm talking about the tv series, not the movie. I kind of want to get it, but I heard that it's not in widescreen.

Why would it be? And why would you want it to be?

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter. It's still a really cool show.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

John Yossarian posted:

Yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter. It's still a really cool show.

I hope I didn't sound snotty. I'm just saying that it wasn't made for widescreen and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone would watch Citizen Kane and think, "Man I wonder if Welles covered for widescreen....?" :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's a Mill Creek release so don't expect the world but, if it's anything like the HD episodes they played on El Rey, it should be fine.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mill Creek will do their best with what they're given and no more. Their disc of The Lady from Shanghai is Criterion quality, in terms of mastering.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I have no complaints about the Miami vice blues. They're 4:3.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Here's a weird, and weirdly specific, question that one of you might know the answer to. So today I was watching the third Resident Evil film on my Sony Playstation 4. The blu-ray, clearly. And it was doing a weird thing where every thirty seconds to a minute the sound would get really loud, or really soft. I turned off dynamic range control, tried to two different type of audio processing it does, etc. but nothing worked. I then just moved the disc to my Xbone and it worked 100% fine with no audio issues.

What's the deal with that?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Here's a weird, and weirdly specific, question that one of you might know the answer to. So today I was watching the third Resident Evil film on my Sony Playstation 4. The blu-ray, clearly. And it was doing a weird thing where every thirty seconds to a minute the sound would get really loud, or really soft. I turned off dynamic range control, tried to two different type of audio processing it does, etc. but nothing worked. I then just moved the disc to my Xbone and it worked 100% fine with no audio issues.

Here's how to deal with that. Step one, remove the disc from the player. Step two, throw it directly in the garbage.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Here's how to deal with that. Step one, remove the disc from the player. Step two, throw it directly in the garbage.

Why would I throw a great movie like Resident Evil 3 into the garbage?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Why would I throw a great movie like Resident Evil 3 into the garbage?

Step three, get in there with it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Just from reading the description, having no experience with playing movies on a PS4, it sounds like an issue with surround-sound configuration. I've had something similar to what you're describing when trying to use artificial ProLogic processing on a signal that has already started out 5.1 and been downmixed to 2.1 (which is often the case in my current situation, as I haven't yet been able to get a real A/V receiver to properly manage delay and stuff). I can't get any more specific than that, but I'd double-check all the surround settings on every piece of equipment involved.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

What's your setup? It might be a dynamic range setting. I don't have a PS4, so I have no idea what's in the audio options.

(Also, CPL's advice is good too)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

:perfect:

Thank you for making my morning.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I'm not sure what you have against the classic cinema franchise that's now ran for over fifteen years, Resident Evil. Also c'mon, that dude shoves his weird finger tentacles into another dudes eyes and mouth, and Johnny Cage has maybe the most unnecessarily mean spirited on screen death I've ever seen, these dumb rear end movies are aight.

Checked everything with my surround setup and there's no settings with the stuff you guys mentioned that are on. I also tested it with a handful of other discs, and none of them are doing it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah honestly don't know the difference between the resident evil movies and some of the poo poo this forum likes in regards to old horror movies. If anything it seems like something has aged a certain amount of years it's considered campy and "good". So perhaps in 2037 we'll have Arrow producing the Resident Evil 20k rays

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Resident Evil movies are stupid as gently caress and that's exactly why I love them. They don't have any pretension about what they are, it's just cheesy, insane poo poo. 4 and 5 in particular are really special.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Heads up to anyone who may have requested a replacement disc for Black Christmas from Shout Factory. They've started mailing them out. I got mine today, so keep your eyes on the mail.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Someone shot a zombie while flipping on a motorcycle and that's why I love resident evil.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Someone shot a zombie while flipping on a motorcycle and that's why I love resident evil.

Remember that part in 4 where Wesker throws his sunglasses as an offensive move during a fight scene and it is 100% effective and works exactly as he planned?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how could yo uforget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycXgJ2lDT7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The actor in the movie doing his best version of whatever the gently caress accent the guy from the games was trying, and failing, to do is so good.

• Locked thread