Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Double Punctuation posted:

Y̧̡ę̴̵̡͝s̵,̷̡̕̕͝ ̸͝͏s̀̕͘n̴̵͘҉̵a̷͜k͝ȩs̨͜͡ ̶̢͟͡a͟͢r̷̴̕͜ȩ̨̀́̕ ͟͟s͟͡҉ứ͞ŗ̶̀͠ę̀͞҉ ̶̢̢͟c̢̨̛͠u̷̸͜t͏͜e̸҉́ ̷̧̕͟͜a̸͘n̴͞i̵͟m͘͜͠a̡̨̢̕͠l̵̷̨̧͘s̨͡͠͏͏,̵̷̕͡ ̶͏̡a҉̛̛͘l̵̸̢̀͠l̷̶̢̨ ͏̛́́͡r̢͜҉̸i̢g͟͟h͢͟͡t̨.̡̢

An actual post in Parseltongue. I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

An actual post in Parseltongue. I'm impressed.

T̴̶h̸͟ȩ͘͢ŕ̴͠e̸͘'̵̧̨s͞ ̷̨a̡̧ ̵͜w̛͠eb̷s̨i̢̨͝ţ͠e̷͜͞ ͏th̶̡a̛t̴ ͢d̕ó͟ȩ̕͟s̷͞ t͝͡ha̕t̵̵̕ ̴̛t҉̧ò̸ ̛͜͞té̕x̕͠t̷͠.̶͘

w̧̛̛͖̳̯̳͔w͟ͅw̴̨͈̘̣̲.̕҉̰͇͔͕e̗̟̺̺e̹̗̤͍͜͞͞e͡͏̨͈ͅm͎͖̹͉o̸҉̦͍͓̗.̟̗̞͎̳̤n͈͈̕e͏͏͈̩̱͖͕t̫̫̱̻͎̹̕ͅ

J̷̸̡̢͙̝̙̳̫̖͎͕̜̻̻̝̗u̵̸̢̻̻̳̩͕͕͓̤̙̮̝͍̭̰̦͝ͅş͇͓͎̮͕̘̤͇̩͕͓͕̟͕̟̺̯̗t̵̨̘̩͇̩̥̪͇͖̲̳̬͔͕̰̯̗ ̸̧̩͖̤̱̝̟̠̻̣̠͢ț̷̷̨̧̟̲̥̝̩̣̯͔̼̫͈͘r̴͈̪͉͇̼̼̣͉͇̹̫̜͈͈͡ͅͅy̴̕҉̧̝̯̘̳̼͈ ̵̢͓͇͍̩͙̹̜͎͚̩̯̺ǹ̷͏̫̗̭͉̯͇̥̠̙̣o̶͖̺̼͇͓̱͕̦͕̯͜͝t҉͕͖̮̘̀͜ ̛̠͖̟̝͕̟̬̬̬̟̰͍͡ͅṯ̷̳̮͚͖͓̗͟͡ơ̧͇̻͚͙̼̣̝̺͈̲̝̹̩̳͞ ̧́͏͍̥̥͕̹͇͔̮̫̫̦̤̯ú͕̰̱̜̭̠͚͕̠͕̬͇̜̪̮̪̮͡s͉̯̗̗̣͚̜͍̲̭̲̹̻̻͢͟͡e̛̗̱̱̹̹͈͍͖͍̭̭̮̠̬̭̺͜ͅ ̸̜͍̙̣̞̳̖͓̙̳̺͕̠͔̫͈͘͡͝i̬̥̣͚̥̬̖̣̟͘t̴͏̜̮̬̖͕̬ͅ ̳̟̣͍̥͈͙̫̳̜̻̭̮̞̦̘̀͞t͞҉̢̩̱̦̙͕̹͝͞o̸͎̹̘͎̤̮̘͘ ̡̤̝̙̰͉̥̯͈̙̮̟̀͞ͅm̴͘҉̣͇̦͈̱̦͍̝̝u҉̸̶͎̙̘͕͚̞̗̫̯̞͙̩͜ͅͅc͍̥̭̥͉̬̣̭̯̞̻̫̪̯͖͢͠͡ḩ̴̨̡̤̠̟̜̖͓͝.̡̧͓͓̠͓̲͇̥̲̙̹̯̰͓͎̲͖͢͜ͅ

I̷̦̣̯̖͈̯͊ͤͤ̑͐̑ͪ̓ͪ͛ͪͫ̄ͤ̀̚͜͢f͂̉̽̿҉̣̹͔͎̲̝̘͓͚͉̯̯̪̦̘̳͘̕͟͞ ̍̈ͤ́̂̋̂͛̚͟͠͏͏̧̻̝̬͙y̧̨͉͓̪̺̬͈͇ͩ̓̋ͯ̓̃̒̈́̉̇̏o͓̲͍̣͔̫͎̙̰̺͉̬̺͚͈̬̭͍̺̓͋̈́͂ͧͤ̀̏̀͜͠ǘ̵̧̢̫͚̘̳̖͓͇̘ͪͮͩͤͥ̌ͪ̏͞ ͥ̄ͭ͋͋ͭ͒ͮ͢҉͏̫̱͎̞̣̠̗͍̞̩̹͉d̢̟͚̻͔̱̥̦͓̫͎͎̐͌ͮ͗͡͝ǫ̴̙͍̩̹̳̼̭̪̘͎͎̺̜̰̣̥͂̓̐ͮ̈́̑ͬ̊̇ͦ͐̿̓̚͠͞ ̶̶͍̭̻̹̟̖̱͈̲ͨͣ̍̓͊̅̒ͨ̽̓͂̉̓̒̇͒ͨ͂̀̀̚͢h̲̯̮͎̯̪̄ͤ͆̉́ê̸̡̼̯̜̤͍̦͓͎͇̜ͦ̂͂̈́͊ͪͬ̌͋'̡̛͕̰̯̙͎̖̱̙͍̳͚̻͓͇̻̖͇ͨ̌͂̍͒ͥ͑̆̈́̍͂ͯ̕͝l̷̷̨̛͚̮͚͉͕͈̤̩͔̖̟̙͇̦̈͒ͮ̽́ͤ̒̋ͪ̕ľ̡̢͙͕̗̜̮̥̫͆̐ͯͯ͒ͦ̓̿ͯ̊ͦ̑̓̏ͧ̔ ͍͎̦͖͎͓̬̤͂̆ͯ̓̈́̄ͥͧͬͮ͐̈́̽ͨ͑̀̚̚̕c̴̵̷̶͉̩̜̩̗͚͍̣͓̟͚͉̯̙̩̘ͮͧ̌̅̒͂͋͘o̐͌̎ͮ͐ͮ̋̄̓͒̂̚͏̠͖̰̱̰̰̭̲̜͍͓͍̝̤̞̱͍͘m͓͕̖̭̣̙͎̑̓̃͐̓͞͝eͣͭ̓͆ͧ̑́̒̍ͨͨ͞҉̧̼͚͓̖̬̠̗͉̣͙̲̭̺̲͍̙̻ͅ.̶̸̼̼̺͖̠̱͙̠͉̠̭̰͖͉͕̗͕͒ͭ̋͗̅͐̀͐͆̀

Z̘̬̳͓͖̜͚͎͍͇̬̝̟̼͍̑̒̂ͮͦͥ̅͆̽̓̔͐̽́͘͜A̸̵̢̡͉̦̮̪̖̲ͦͣ̄ͬͬ̂̓̓ͬͫ̅̿̎ͯ͆͡L̯̝͔͉̪͍ͦ̄͂͂̑ͩ͑̓̓ͪ̌̑̇ͦͤͤ́͞Gͧ͐́̆ͣ̾̄̾̀͜͏̨̤̭̩̜̱͎̺̭̟̰̞̟̭̦̻̭̭̮͘O̗̼̤̮͈̼͈ͬ̒ͭ͗ͮ́̏̚̕͘͜

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
The Great Emu War. Obviously.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://youtu.be/PG7kHNEkSlc

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

I have this one, spoiler that's not Superman. It's some immortal dude who caused the Titanic to sink.

Edit: I just remembered Aquaman died (he got better) and Jimmy briefly became the new Aquaman.

waggles has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Jan 8, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

waggles posted:

I have this one, spoiler that's not Superman. It's some immortal dude who caused the Titanic to sink.

Hubris?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Back in the day, they often designed interesting covers first and then attempted to write stories to match them afterwards.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Woebin posted:

Back in the day, they often designed interesting covers first and then attempted to write stories to match them afterwards.

They also recycled entire plots because they assumed regular turnover of readership as kids grew out of superhero comics.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They also recycled entire plots because they assumed regular turnover of readership as kids grew out of superhero comics.

They still do this

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145487/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948470/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2250912/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Do people actually like super hero origin stories or is it just something that film makers think they need to do? Even if you don't already know who Spider-Man is, are you going to be hopelessly lost if you just see a movie about a guy who already has spider powers swinging around and fighting bad guys? How many times do we need to see uncle Ben killed? Or the Waynes or the planet Krypton or whatever? I think audiences can probably handle jumping straight to the good bit. Redoing the same plots is one thing, redoing the least entertaining one every time is another.

If you've absolutely got to include the origin, do it like a five minute recap, not a whole movie.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Tiggum posted:

Do people actually like super hero origin stories or is it just something that film makers think they need to do? Even if you don't already know who Spider-Man is, are you going to be hopelessly lost if you just see a movie about a guy who already has spider powers swinging around and fighting bad guys? How many times do we need to see uncle Ben killed? Or the Waynes or the planet Krypton or whatever? I think audiences can probably handle jumping straight to the good bit. Redoing the same plots is one thing, redoing the least entertaining one every time is another.

If you've absolutely got to include the origin, do it like a five minute recap, not a whole movie.
i will never be satisfied until i have an 80 year anthology of uncle bens being murdered. i lust for the death of a thousand thomas waynes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr0PYDxa4jQ

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Woebin posted:

So slightly more honest clickbait, then.

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I feel so awkard taking out my laptop on the bus

That's not how you spell dick.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I honestly think Sony did it just to let people know that Amazing Spider-Man is not a sequel to the Sam Raimi movies. It's not necessary, but then again there people who think Rogue One is a sequel to The Force Awakens and the audience for Fantastic Beasts apparently has adult Harry Potter fans outnumbering its target audience of teens and children (meaning people who already know Fantastic Beasts is a Harry Potter prequel).

I thought it was not necessary to see Superman's origin again either but then I saw Man of Steel and it turned out the whole Krypton part was pretty important so I guess it depends on who is telling the story. Sometimes the movie's writer/director might also just be a huge nerd and wants to show us his or her own interpretation of the story.

Here is a funny picture about a comic book movie:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Here is a funny picture about a comic book movie:

I remember seeing a similar article or advert (in a fanzine? I haven't a clue) from 1987 where a Star Wars fan loses their poo poo over how Spaceballs was the ultimate insult.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember seeing a similar article or advert (in a fanzine? I haven't a clue) from 1987 where a Star Wars fan loses their poo poo over how Spaceballs was the ultimate insult.
Have nerds ever not been awful?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Forgall posted:

Have nerds ever not been awful?

*Looks up Bitcoin*
*Looks up Star Citizen*
*Looks up Gamergate*

Nope. Nerds are the loving worst.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

*Looks up Bitcoin*
*Looks up Star Citizen*
*Looks up Gamergate*

Nope. Nerds are the loving worst.

You pick things from the last five years to prove how awful nerds have always been? You should go for some historically awful nerds like Sherlock Holmes fans (little known fact from a clickbait article: the show Sherlock was actually based on a set of nineteenth centuries books!), Shakespeare fans, or Isaac Newton. Going pre-enlightenment for nerds is harder because people were less likely to write down their Beowulf fanfic, but the Pythagorean sect were pretty much goons from the sixth century BCE.

Basically, history is full of nerds and they're all terrible.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

You pick things from the last five years to prove how awful nerds have always been? You should go for some historically awful nerds like Sherlock Holmes fans (little known fact from a clickbait article: the show Sherlock was actually based on a set of nineteenth centuries books!), Shakespeare fans, or Isaac Newton. Going pre-enlightenment for nerds is harder because people were less likely to write down their Beowulf fanfic, but the Pythagorean sect were pretty much goons from the sixth century BCE.

But Sherlock and Shakespeare are good, and Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space?

RickVoid has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jan 8, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Can't find it cause I'm on my phone at the moment, but wasn't there like a serialized story that Dickens was writing that people actually broke into the ship that was carrying his manuscript so they could read it before the newspaper could publish it? That's like Fanboy 101 right there.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that exactly what Spider-Man: Homecoming is doing? It takes place post-Civil War so Spider-Man's already been doing his thing for a while now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Something something accordion players get all the pussy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This is it right here. This is the best thing I've ever seen.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
man those cats really get around.\

real party animals

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

man those cats really get around.\

real party animals

They're good cats, Johnny.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This is it right here. This is the best thing I've ever seen.

its just a lame photoshp

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Original concept art for egg and facehugger from Alien.

rawr

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

a kitten posted:

Original concept art for egg and facehugger from Alien.

rawr
Sweet Sonic fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sweet Sonic fanart.

Gotta hug fast.

• Locked thread