Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Biodome posted:

Maybe that's because they couldn't render hair that looked like that back then.

Umm, except that the humans had eyebrows in as far back as the first Mass Effect.
Most of the Asari at least had some type of painted on heavy eyeshadow/facepaint that heavily suggested eyebrows. Liara's was the most extreme, I believe, but the others sometimes had eyebrows dotted on or tribalbrows.

Reclaimer posted:

DA2 predates Fury Road by five years hth
Sure, but do you think Hawke or Furiousa is the more known and popular in modern culture, even among people who've played Dragon Age 2? I really only could think of two examples at the top of my head, aside from random mesoamerican styles, and perhaps I should have used a different term instead of 'wannabe', but it felt right to deride DA2. :shrug:

And yes, your post most definitely helped.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Benezia had eyebrows too.

You weird fucks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Benezia had eyebrows too.

You weird fucks.

Those were a solid angry line of paint like an angry Liara. Or

If PB paints hers on it she must stipple them with a tiny brush to get a hair effect. It's such a small thing and it's not really an issue to prevent enjoyment of anything but it's such a weird thing.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Drifter posted:

Sure, but do you think Hawke or Furiousa is the more known and popular in modern culture, even among people who've played Dragon Age 2? I really only could think of two examples at the top of my head, aside from random mesoamerican styles, and perhaps I should have used a different term instead of 'wannabe', but it felt right to deride DA2. :shrug:

And yes, your post most definitely helped.

Well if DA2 wasn't made by the same company and people that are making Andromeda then I'd say you have a point, but it's totally legit to have throwbacks to your own products.

I am at once deeply troubled and amused by that picture!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Drifter posted:

Those were a solid angry line of paint like an angry Liara. Or

If PB paints hers on it she must stipple them with a tiny brush to get a hair effect. It's such a small thing and it's not really an issue to prevent enjoyment of anything but it's such a weird thing.

Maybe they are super advanced stick on mustaches that she uses? Or perhaps she cuts them out of those pubic beards I heard Thandie Newton talking about.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
You guys are overthinking it. PB just looked into an exhaust pipe which comically blew soot on her face.

This looks a lot like Tim Heidecker now.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 7, 2017

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The explanation is probably gonna be that PB was raised by a human father and was raised as a dude or something. Actually given that Aethyta is the best Asari, that doesn't sound so bad, though this is just a guess.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sweet geek swag posted:

The explanation is probably gonna be that PB was raised by a human father and was raised as a dude or something. Actually given that Aethyta is the best Asari, that doesn't sound so bad, though this is just a guess.

She's gonna be like Krem from DAI, but instead of being *-gendered, PB will be *-speciesed.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
a discussion on which race pains their eyebrows on itt

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Drifter posted:

She's gonna be like Krem from DAI, but instead of being *-gendered, PB will be *-speciesed.

wouldn't that make her Sera, though? The absolute worst case scenario?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I thought Krem was cool, and thought that while Sera was certainly "too much" she was still okay. I don't have a hate-on for her, I just wish she could have been a little more subdued in the wacky random lolz arena. It reduced her as a character. They spent more time on stealing underwear than her likely more interesting situation growing up.

I was thinking more that there would be some little chunk of random expository dialog detailing what exactly it meant to be trans-species and how they're still everyday people like you and me.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 7, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Krem was wholly inoffensive, he had nothing to do with Sera.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Drifter posted:

I thought Krem was cool, and thought that while Sera was certainly "too much" she was still okay. I don't have a hate-on for her, I just wish she could have been a little more subdued in the wacky random lolz arena. It reduced her as a character. They spent more time on stealing underwear than her likely more interesting situation growing up.
They actually did talk about it some. Problem being is that you had to be friends with her, and due to her terrible introduction most people either kicked her out immediately or ignored her for the whole game. Although I give them props for making those soldiers actually be bare-assed when they attacked you :haw:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

While we wait for the "media blitz," Aaryn Flynn has clarified a few points:
  • There is no season pass for Mass Effect Andromeda
  • That doesn't mean there isn't DLC, but they'll talk about that later.
  • EA Access members will get to play the game on Xbox One a bit earlier than anyone else. No word on how early.

The preload for PC is listed as March 17th.

So if you're European and bummed about it not being released until two days later in your region, maybe getting an EA Access account will compensate?

Also there was an interview in Spanish that they did that talks about having to deal with the Kett politically as well as through force. Which isn't really a huge surprise, but anything that can give me a moment like owning Loghain in court at least sounds cool to me. Also, their bone armor is supposed to be integrated into the story? It's apparently a big part of who they are and plays into how you interact with them somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLaypPPaayk

There will be a bar called the Vortex Lounge, but it won't be the only one.

And there was a tweet from Ben Gelinas: "At work polishing a small portion of the bazillion or so words in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Basically a galaxy of words in the dang game." So hopefully stuff like

FLAMETHROWE
R

is getting addressed.

PKBitchGirl
Jan 8, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Seems like your guy actually has a set first name this time around. Though I guess that might just be your sibling.

They don't have set names, those are just the default names you can pick any first name you like. Shepard had default names in the originally trilogy John and Jane (as in Doe)

Anyway, I'm hoping Vetra can be romanced by Fryder

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

You can change your first name, but if you use the defaults they will sometimes be used in conversations. Likely by your sibling and father for the most part.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

PKBitchGirl posted:

Anyway, I'm hoping Vetra can be romanced by Fryder

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

i cant wait to gently caress the turian

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:same: but krogan or rock monster

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

hanar or bust

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

i cant wait to gently caress the turian

If you're legit a Bioware fan saying this, and you haven't already written at least a 1500 word short story with your self insert violently (but consensually) scissoring a female Turian while she licks your toes then your words mean nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I can't wait to get my

rocks off :evilbuddy:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Biofan noticed that Peebee and Cora's icons changed since the original trailers

Old:

New:

Just mentioning it since it seems they're going away from the hollow outlines (which makes me think they're going to update Liam's in a similar way), and this is still the closest we've come to seeing what Cora looks like, goddamn.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I have a feeling ME:A will be okay like how DAI was okay for me I didn't hate it but other than some cool beats it never blew me away. In general I agree ME is the better Bioware property and thus hope they tweak some of DAI's issues.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Something about Drack looks like he's out of a cheap cgi render. I think it's the ambient occlusion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Can someone explain Liam's (is he just going to be Vega 2.0?) icon? Are those steampunk goggles or helmet headlights or something?

Drack looks like Doomsday from the comics. I've never seen another lizard dude with bone spurs. Would that make him half Vorcha?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Something about his bones reminds me of 90s cg from games like Planescape.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Old:

New:

Just mentioning it since it seems they're going away from the hollow outlines (which makes me think they're going to update Liam's in a similar way), and this is still the closest we've come to seeing what Cora looks like, goddamn.

playing with Krogan/Turian always gently caress the other races

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Something about his bones reminds me of 90s cg from games like Planescape.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I meant.

It's because they tied loving animal bones around his space armor. PS:T loved bones. ME loves TO bone. the similarity is there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

It's because they tied loving animal bones around his space armor. PS:T loved bones. ME loves TO bone. the similarity is there.

Nah, it's something about the rendering technique, not just the imagery.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Drifter posted:

Drack looks like Doomsday from the comics. I've never seen another lizard dude with bone spurs. Would that make him half Vorcha?

Hey, it's rude to point out what is obviously a birth defect.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I approve of the more feral krogan being sent to colonize new planets

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

frajaq posted:

I approve of the more feral krogan being sent to colonize new planets

Mass Effect: Australia

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Peebee's looks like real hair. Liara's (and every other asari's if they had them at all) were painted on. Also it's that whole dumb gently caress Dragon Age 2 wannabe Fury Road blood smear facepaint thing going on.

I know nothing about the character beyond that portrait and the fact that she is some sort of Indiana Jones 'rogue scholar' or whatever. I haven't even heard the voice.

I find the way ancient celts ripped off the face paint from Dragon Age 2 to be very derivative.

While we wait for the "media blitz," Aaryn Flynn has clarified a few points:
[list]
[*]There is no season pass for Mass Effect Andromeda
[*]That doesn't mean there isn't DLC, but they'll talk about that later.

No surprise there. They probably crunched the numbers and realised that if you just charge the price of a season pass for each DLC you make more money or something.

That feels like an EA thing they might do.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 8, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't remember Mass Effect or Dragon Age having season passes before.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They didn't? Talking about pricing and maximising revenue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dragon Age sidestepped this by having ingame DLC merchants.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Old:

New:

Old icons looked better imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Old icons looked better imo.

Wow. Can we get this negativity out of the thread?