Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

I felt that the court picked up the knife from the ground and stabbed it in the back of all the soldiers.

PHRASING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Getting the maximum sentence is incredibly unlikely, but I don't think anyone knows beyond that. The thing to keep in mind is that this isn't the Israeli justice system, it's the Israeli military justice system, and there's a lot of political ramifications too since Azariya has a lot of sympathizers. The fact that he was even prosecuted at all was unusual (usually there would be a cover-up), so there isn't much precedent to look back on as a guide. Personally, I think he'll get a couple of years in addition to what he's already served - they didn't go to all the trouble of having this trial just to give him a slap on the wrist, but throwing the book at him increases the risk of political intervention. Since the legitimacy of the IDF itself is on the line here, they'll avoid extremely low or extremely high sentences and give him something that's low-ish but just high enough to not be perceived as a free pass.

The whole purpose of this trial is to prevent a scenario were the PA can appeal to the ICC for arbitration in case Israel is shown to have no interest in policing and prosecuting members of the IDF. In my opinion nothing beyond a slap in the wrist has ever been on the cards.

Now Dear Leader has also joined the "Pardon" choir. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4903190,00.html

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sinteres posted:

Congratulations for not being as bad as a convicted murderer.

Thank you friend.

Edited for me being stupid.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 4, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Yardbomb posted:

Thank you friend, but in reality I do legitimately hope he gets butthole cancer or something equally awful for being a monster, getting little pats on the back and cheerleading from similarly monstrous people.

Why can't it be "I hope he gets a legitimate sentencing within the structure of law and civilization and that said sentence successfully rehabilitates his violent impulses and curtails his bigotry enough for him to rejoin and become a successful member of society."

You know, instead of being horrible?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If the NYT is anything to go by, Dear Leader is about to go down on corruption charges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/world/middleeast/israel-netanyahu-graft-investigation.html

Reading between the lines on this piece, the general sentiment is that Israeli government is already hilariously corrupt.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Why can't it be "I hope he gets a legitimate sentencing within the structure of law and civilization and that said sentence successfully rehabilitates his violent impulses and curtails his bigotry enough for him to rejoin and become a successful member of society."

You know, instead of being horrible?

Yeah, if wishing extrajudicial death on people for crimes is fine, the soldier wouldn't really be all that bad since his victim was obviously a criminal and attempted murderer himself. The soldier is a criminal and awful person specifically because proportionate responses to crimes through legitimate legal processes are important.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Yardbomb posted:

Thank you friend, but in reality I do legitimately hope he gets butthole cancer or something equally awful for being a monster, getting little pats on the back and cheerleading from similarly monstrous people.

go be edgy somewhere else

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm also not really a fan of "I hope X gets rear end cancer" specifically because it sorta evokes the same kind feeling as a somewhat more politically correct version of "I hope X is raped in the butt in prison" which is...more than a little problematic.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Congratulations for not being as bad as a convicted murderer.

He's not though. That's the worst part.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I'm also not really a fan of "I hope X gets rear end cancer" specifically because it sorta evokes the same kind feeling as a somewhat more politically correct version of "I hope X is raped in the butt in prison" which is...more than a little problematic.

He already said the guy should be hosed to death by a mule, so yeah.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The whole purpose of this trial is to prevent a scenario were the PA can appeal to the ICC for arbitration in case Israel is shown to have no interest in policing and prosecuting members of the IDF. In my opinion nothing beyond a slap in the wrist has ever been on the cards.

Now Dear Leader has also joined the "Pardon" choir. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4903190,00.html

The purpose is also to protect discipline and make an example of him in order to teach potential copycats to be less blatant about their murders, check for cameras, clear their actions with commanders first, and make a show of at least pretending to be defending themselves. They'll punish him at least a little, just to discourage potential loose cannons.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ytlaya posted:

Never said that and never will and never will say anything with any intention to be any kind of condoning statement to that, because I'd sooner gladly slap someone in the mouth for making those jokes.

My apologies for making a dumb real crude joke though thread, I just hope the cold blooded murder actually gets punished by his government but it's like a 1% chance of happening if even that, so I'm just more sad and angry he'll probably get away with being a national hero for executing a defenseless man, whose people he and his government are already working towards ethnically cleansing. poo poo sucks and I do honestly mean the apology and whatever else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Never said that and never will and never will say anything with any intention to be any kind of condoning statement to that, because I'd sooner gladly slap someone the mouth for making those jokes.

My apologies for making a dumb real crude joke thread, I just hope the cold blooded murder actually gets punished by his government but it's like a 1% chance of happening if even that, so I'm just more sad and angry he'll probably get away with being a national hero for executing a defenseless man, whose people he and his government are already working towards ethnically cleansing. poo poo sucks and I mean what I just said.

I don't think you're a bad person or anything, and my issue was more with the connotations of that specific joke (which I don't think people who make that joke are necessarily even conscious of) rather than "wishing bad things on bad people" jokes/statements in general.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

The purpose is also to protect discipline and make an example of him in order to teach potential copycats to be less blatant about their murders, check for cameras, clear their actions with commanders first, and make a show of at least pretending to be defending themselves. They'll punish him at least a little, just to discourage potential loose cannons.

These exist on a continuum.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

House Republicans are planning to propose a bill that would either reduce funding for or completely defund the UN depending on what the final language in the bill is. As you might guess this is just because of the UN Israel resolution which ultimately means nothing. Some GOP House members are outright threatening the UN that they will defund the organization if they don't remove that resolution.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

FlamingLiberal posted:

House Republicans are planning to propose a bill that would either reduce funding for or completely defund the UN depending on what the final language in the bill is. As you might guess this is just because of the UN Israel resolution which ultimately means nothing. Some GOP House members are outright threatening the UN that they will defund the organization if they don't remove that resolution.

If I was Xi I would be creaming right now at the thought of moving the UN HQ to Beijing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sincx posted:

If I was Xi I would be creaming right now at the thought of moving the UN HQ to Beijing.

They aren't leaving NY, but if they did they'd go somewhere nice and uncontroversial like Switzerland instead of a smog-filled dictatorship.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dont even fink about it posted:

If the NYT is anything to go by, Dear Leader is about to go down on corruption charges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/world/middleeast/israel-netanyahu-graft-investigation.html

Reading between the lines on this piece, the general sentiment is that Israeli government is already hilariously corrupt.

What level of hilarious corruption are we looking at here? Quebec? America? China? A 70s banana republic?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

What level of hilarious corruption are we looking at here? Quebec? America? China? A 70s banana republic?

A Middle East 5, which is an 8 everywhere in Europe outside of Greece and Italy.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I support moving the UN HQ to Bern and then kicking the US out.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
our issue is that we've evolved beyond empathy and until we rediscover the art of peace we will never be the light amongst the nations and will be doomed to a life of perpetual flight

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Avshalom posted:

our issue is that we've evolved beyond empathy and until we rediscover the art of peace we will never be the light amongst the nations and will be doomed to a life of perpetual flight
Uh, I think Avshalom is broken: this is far to coherent and poignant not to be followed up with an elegy for Sharon's glistening manhood.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/israels-parliamentary-plot-uk-politicians-170107220710691.html

This is probably bad for Corbyn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How is that bad for Corbyn?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FlamingLiberal posted:

How is that bad for Corbyn?

Everything is bad for Corbyn, and Corbyn is bad at everything. At least according to the UKPOL thread, as far as I understand.

That said, Corbyn has been accused of antisemitism a lot of times, so he could be one of the targets.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Corbyn's bad at everything, but from what I understand from the coup attempts within Labour earlier, there's not really anyone else in Labour who's in any position to oust him, he seems more than happy to allow the Blairites to cry and purge themselves from the party, and Labour's base isn't going to flee back into the arms of the Blairites because Israel said Corbyn's an antisemite.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They keep trying to challenge Corbyn for leadership and falling right on their face

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Please don't let UKMT leak into here. It will only end in tears. :smith:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
New alleged corruption scandal, it seems like Bibi might have gotten a little too greedy? who knows.

quote:

Media tycoon Arnon Mozes is the businessman who negotiated a quid pro quo with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in conversations caught on tape that came to light on Sunday.

Haaretz reported Sunday that suspicions in the main corruption affair involving Netanyahu are backed by recordings documenting contacts between him and a businessman over mutual benefits. 

According to Channel 2, several months ago Netanyahu offered Mozes, publisher of the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper,  a deal that would limit the circulation of the free daily Israel Hayom, Yedioth's top competitor and widely regarded as the prime minister's mouthpiece. In return, Mozes would make Yedioth's coverage more sympathetic to Netanyahu.

Sheldon Adelson, Benjamin Netanyahu and Miri Adelson at an event in Jerusalem in 2008.Eyal Warshavsky / BauBau
Israel Hayom, now Israel's largest newspaper, is owned and published by U.S. billionaire Sheldon Adelson, a close confidant of the prime minister.
Mozes was questioned in the case last week and released under certain conditions.

Channel 10 reported that the negotiations were an effort by Netanyahu to prevent Yedioth Ahronoth from publishing a story about his son Yair. The conversations were apparently recorded by Mozes, whose financial benefit from such a deal would be significant. 
The taped conversations were brought to the attention of Attorney General Avichai Mendelblit months ago. Mendelblit and State Prosecutor Shai Nitzan believed that while the affair had far-reaching ramifications politically, its legal status was unclear, Channel 2 reported.
In August, Netanyahu said he was considering promoting a bill that would bar recordings of conversations without consent from all the parties involved. 
Not the first attempted deal
TheMarker reported in November that a few months before returning to power in 2009, Netanyahu spoke with Mozes and reached a secret deal. The two had been in a power struggle since 1996, when Netanyahu first became prime minister.
"He promised me that Israel Hayom wouldn’t publish a weekend edition," confidants quoted Mozes as saying.
Mozes believed that the deal would save Yedioth, which badly suffered when Israel Hayom launched in 2007. In 2009, Netanyahu was gearing up for the election that would return him to power and tried to thwart attacks from Yedioth, then Israel's biggest newspaper.
A few months later, however, the battle resumed in full force. At the end of 2009, Israel Hayom began publishing a weekend edition whose circulation reached the hundreds of thousands.
Yedioth retaliated with investigations and attacks on Netanyahu and then-Defense Minister Ehud Barak; it also backed a bill that would have prevented the publication of a free newspaper.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.763649

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
And people roll their eyes at me when I say ynet is garbage.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's all garbage.

In addition, there was an Alleged Terror Attack in Jerusalem where a truck driver from East Jerusalem ran over a crows of pedestrians, killing at least 4 and injuring another 15.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Dutch news is saying it was Israeli military on an excursion tour to some observation point or whatever (they probably mean a place with a nice view?) who got rammed twice as they were disembarking their bus.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Israeli media describes the victims as "youths in their twenties", no word on them being soldiers or not. On the other hand according to the reports there were plenty of soldiers in the scene soon after or during the attack, so who knows.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 8, 2017

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
AFP says the targets were soldiers.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I enjoy the contrast between the phrases "youths in their twenties" and "military aged males".

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Yeah that's some really devious spin. Ma'an News has a video of the attack on their site and it seems like they were all from the IDF. Also, if I'm not mistaken they were on occupied territory.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In a country that practices conscription, "youths in their twenties" and "soldiers" are just about synonyms.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A narrative is forming that the reason that most of the soldiers/cadets ran away instead of shooting the culprit is because of uncertainty resulting from the Azaria verdict. Look forward to stronger calls for amnesty and demands for less rigorous arms use policies.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A narrative is forming that the reason that most of the soldiers/cadets ran away instead of shooting the culprit is because of uncertainty resulting from the Azaria verdict. Look forward to stronger calls for amnesty and demands for less rigorous arms use policies.

Yes of course this narrative kinda glances over the rather trivial fact that the soldiers, including the one who actually began spreading this narrative, opened fire roughly 6 seconds after the truck hit the crowd, it took a bit longer to "neutralize" the driver as he at first drove past them and it's a bit difficult to shoot the driver of a flatbed truck from the rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes of course this narrative kinda glances over the rather trivial fact that the soldiers, including the one who actually began spreading this narrative, opened fire roughly 6 seconds after the truck hit the crowd, it took a bit longer to "neutralize" the driver as he at first drove past them and it's a bit difficult to shoot the driver of a flatbed truck from the rear.

"Fact"? Pish. You could prove anything with "facts".