Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Prove otherwise big boy.

Derek! Toast is cleverly trying to entrap you into a doxx situation, please use the appropriate counter-measures to reverse-inverse counter-doxx.

e: how did you know he's a big boy? did you doxx him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Star Citizen: It's a fancy cutscene. Don't get your panties twisted.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Star Citizen: It's a fancy cutscene. Don't get your panties twisted.

Star Citizen: Just fancy cutscenes

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am a slave to the will of the people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Star Citizen: Thargoids? We have a Worm!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's a fancy cutscene. Don't get your panties twisted.

More like - Chris Robert's STAR CITIZEN : It's a fancy cult scene. Don't get your belts in a knot.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

:clap

Though it needs a branch 'Has Chris seen something cool in another game? Y/N'
Y: Adds idea to increasing number of features.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I can't wait till twitter dies so people can stop sharing their dumb opinions with the world in 140 characters or less.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

KM Scorchio posted:

I can't wait till twitter dies so people can stop sharing their dumb opinions with the world in 140 characters or less.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

mrchinchin25 posted:

Star Citizen: Just fancy cutscenes

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
STARBOARD = LEFT, PORT = RIGHT FOR AVENGER STALKER PROXIMITY ALERT

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Approach any object by strafing left/right and listen to the proximity alert

ACTUAL RESULT
When there is an object to the left, you hear "proximity alert: starboard"
When there is an object to the right, you hear "proximity alert: port"

EXPECTED RESULT
left = port, right = starboard, these are the correct naval terms.

:gary:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't know, I was pretty wowed by all the nuances that made the alien/alien ship really special. It is no sandworm.

Hi toast, do you think there will be citcon 2018? And will it be in LA?
Nice.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Wikipedia posted:

For initial development, alpha and beta versions are often given numerical versions less than 1 (such as 0.9), to suggest their approach toward a final "1.0" release. However, if the pre-release version is for an existing software package (e.g. version 2.5), then an "a" or "alpha" may be appended to the version number.

Man that 0.2.6 patch sure is good 5 years after development started but the 0.3.0 Jesus patch is going to be the one that really completes Star Citizen!

How to make millions from easily scammed nerds. Move a decimal point 2mm to the right.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 8, 2017

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
How to gently caress up a post in 3 easy steps...

Post it 3 times.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 8, 2017

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Lol whoops. I shouldn't post when I wake up. Or at all, perhaps :) .

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

is there an ironicat so large it uses the entire world's powergrid and bandwidth to render before shattering the entire planet?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

MoMA and Roberts at Jalad, their panties in a twist.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This dude is like Captain E. J. Smith; determined to go down on you.

That's cause he doesn't know about her poopdeck, but it smells of fish and is full of old seamen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Beer4TheBeerGod/status/817746311852265473

I just though about this and...

When was the last time CIG said anything about making a game? makes you think.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Spermanent Record posted:

How to gently caress up a post in 3 easy steps...

Post it 3 times.

The old legends say, a wizard once posted in the old thread for like 4 pages straight, so dont worry about it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I remember the first time I played System Shock 2, and though in hindsight there were clues that something wasn't right with the conversations with Dr. Polito, when the big reveal was made, it was bar none the creepiest and coolest thing my 18-year-old self had ever experienced in a video game up to that point, and it heightened what was already an engaging and thrilling game experience.

Oh no wait, it was just a fancy cutscene, never mind.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Can someone explain to me why there's so many people so excited for this game when it took 6 years just to get to an almost useless alpha. It really shouldn't take a company 6 years just to get to early alpha.

Also the fps part looks loving awful.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

TontoCorazon posted:

Can someone explain to me why there's so many people so excited for this game when it took 6 years just to get to an almost useless alpha. It really shouldn't take a company 6 years just to get to early alpha.

Well I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of spaceship jpgs, therefore

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TontoCorazon posted:

It's easier to describe the sun to a blind man.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Spermanent Record posted:

Lol whoops. I shouldn't post when I wake up. Or at all, perhaps :) .

Dude, that's when the quality dream poo poo posting happens, :justpost: or :justpub: if you are a Derek alt and have a blog ready.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Thoatse posted:

That's cause he doesn't know about her poopdeck, but it smells of fish and is full of old seamen.

No er, I'll not have this normally delicious and very healthy peacan and maple syrup porridge now thanks, I've suddenly remembered I wasn't actually hungry and don't worry about my face turning green, that always happens when I'm suddenly not hungry.

:barf:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha moma

the universe continues to own you

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lmao MoMA's plain jealousy at the execution of the cool little Elite thing is sad to see

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Puppetmaster defence in 3...2...

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

That word does not mean what you think it means.

Also, MODS? Can we get a nick change for this one?

I would encourage you to go back and re-read the first post of mine you replied to. I really didn't think it warranted a /s

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

I see what you did there.

And it was pretty good.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Has anyone working on Thargoid signals made any headway yet?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

nvmd, it's just a cutscene

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
p. sure it's gunna be the Aphex Twin dude.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

shrach posted:

But both the purchase and sale need to not be related parties. This definitely rules out CIG LLC, RSI INC, F42 and RSI LTD. It couldn't be anything controlled by Chris Roberts. Perhaps one of Ortwin's enterprises if all the script writing etc was done through that. It is of course all speculation.

Star Citizen: It is of course all speculation

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TontoCorazon posted:

It's a combination of factors:

1. Sunk cost mentality. Most of the more emphatic backers have put in hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars into "supporting" the game through the purchase of digital ships and game packages. The money itself becomes justification that things will succeed, as the backer considers themselves a smart person and smart people don't pay for scams. This is true for both the individual investment as well as the communal investment of over $140 million.

2. Cargo cult community. At this point the community is largely self-policing, aided by the draconian moderation of the main forums and the inherent structure of Reddit that silences unpopular opinions. They are convinced that Chris Roberts will deliver the promised game in the same way that they remember the original Wing Commander and Privateer with nostalgia. Anyone with a dissenting opinion is either ignored, or has already received a refund and is therefore unlikely to interact with those still immersed in the project.

3. Predatory marketing. CIG's marketing methods are incredibly predatory. They routinely use high pressure tactics surrounding "limited" features or content (LTI, concept sales, alpha access, limited ships) to encourage backers to spend more. They also wall off early access behind a subscription (subscribers get access to the Player Test Universe, the testing server updates go to before they hit the live testing server but after they hit the invite-only testing server), devalue previous purchases by offering cash-only sales, and push the concept of "open development" as a mantra even as they wait to reveal significant information such as delays or a major engine switch.

4. Chris Roberts. For whatever reason Chris Roberts has mastered the art of telling people what they want to hear, especially when it comes to nerds and space sims. Backers are convinced that the game Chris Roberts is developing will be their perfect game, even as more of the game is revealed and is shown to be a shallow, insipid, milquetoast experience. He has a history of doing this in a variety of fields, and backers are all too willing to fool themselves to believe they'll get what they want.

5. Lies. One of the biggest things that CIG has done is created the myth that the community supported CIG expanding the scope and schedule of Star Citizen through additional funding. In reality backers supported CIG expanding scope without increasing schedule through the use of additional funds to generate more content. CIG has repeated the lie so many times that backers believe it to be true.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfxT22LC8A

The pretty 'cutscene' where the pilot actually gets a few shots off.

Thanks DS, I was wondering if it was possible to shoot at it :)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Breetai posted:

p. sure it's gunna be the Aphex Twin dude.

Its already been cracked. It's CIG's launch slides from the recent Citcon.

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
Seems like WTF's drunk antics haven't inflicted any lasting damages:
http://666kb.com/i/dfnahp8e8co096v7o.jpg

https://www.twitch.tv/thestaceyroy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

Prove otherwise big boy.

Hey man, if someone expresses doubt in the idea that you've fallen under the spell of a mushmouthed charlatan to the point you've spunked 8k on a lovely tech demo, you should run with it, because the alternative is you look staggeringly stupid.