Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's Ryan Kinnaird and yes he sucks real bad. It's shameful he got paid money for that comic.

http://ryankinnaird.deviantart.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure which bit is worse, the entirely deliberate flap at the top of the thong or the entirely accidental club hand.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did horrendous faux anime style still work for people in the mid 2000s?
I mercifully skipped that era.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did horrendous faux anime style still work for people in the mid 2000s?
I mercifully skipped that era.

I mean it started in the early 2000s and ended in the late mid 2000s and was never popular before or after that, so yeah. This coincided with the north american manga boom that everyone assumed would never end for some reason.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Legit manga artists have insanely tight schedules and are probably on exclusive contracts while they produce their ongoing titles, so any major project in the States is out of question.
A Strange Tales-style anthology would be more plausible. (Hell, just another Strange Tales/Bizarro Comics book right now would be awesome)

There is also a question of payment - a recognizable manga artist with their studio of assistants for even a GN or mini-series would cost quite a lot. So even hooking Kubo Tite while he is on a post-Bleach sabbatical would be too difficult and expensive (he would love lax western deadlines tho).

And you may wish for Yuusuke Murata on Spider-Man now, but you probably wouldn't like Spider-Man fighting Puri-Puri Prisoner or Miles using his "jump power of the black people".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

And you may wish for Yuusuke Murata on Spider-Man now, but you probably wouldn't like Spider-Man fighting Puri-Puri Prisoner or Miles using his "jump power of the black people".

Hey, nobody said anything about letting non-scottish people write.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm not sure which bit is worse, the entirely deliberate flap at the top of the thong or the entirely accidental club hand.

Most of Ryan Kinnaird's style is creepy crotch-centric gross stuff. There is an actual tentacle rape scene in that comic iirc. Like I said he sucks real bad :shrug:

fatherboxx posted:

Murata does not write One Punch Man, he just draws the overwhelming gently caress out of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also Eyeshield 21 is literally better than any Miles Morales comic so, yeah I actually wouldn't give a gently caress if Murata was also writing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Onmi posted:

Also Eyeshield 21 is literally better than any Miles Morales comic so, yeah I actually wouldn't give a gently caress if Murata was also writing.

Murata didn't write Eyeshield 21, actually. :goonsay:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eyesheild 21 is also insanely racist so apt comparison there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Most of Ryan Kinnaird's style is creepy crotch-centric gross stuff. There is an actual tentacle rape scene in that comic iirc. Like I said he sucks real bad :shrug:

Didn't that series have to get the MAX branding after the first issue because of that?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

All I can tell you is it looked like crap, everything he does looks like crap, crappy crap crap :shrug:

HAND DRAWN ARTIST SKETCH

e: I mean usually I complain about artists who blatantly trace or worse do straight photo manipulations for characters but this guy, maybe he should trace

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am totally fine with stylized art as long as that style is not "really loving ugly" :shrug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JordanKai posted:

Murata didn't write Eyeshield 21, actually. :goonsay:

Huh, i had not realized that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Murata normally just draws, while somebody else writes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Roth posted:

Murata normally just draws, while somebody else writes.

I wonder if that makes him more atypical or if more popular works simply skew perception? Like I think of Tezuka, Oda, Toriyama and they all write and draw. Not that they don't have assistants but primary art and writing fall to them. Like, Murata has written one-shots before, but I guess he works a more traditionally american style of finding a writer to pair with.

EDIT: Also, here's a 3 hour video of Hirohiko Araki Drawing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RMfURKTHf4

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 8, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I enjoyed that discussion on color. It's an underrated part of comic art and hardly ever gets talked about. Colorists never seem to get the name recognition that pencilers do but they should. Miller's "Ronin" comes to mind.

Photoshop did a lot of good for comic coloring but also created a lot of really bad poo poo too. I get really tired of that "juicy", "hot" sort of look where there's hardly any neutral coloring going on, everything is oversaturated and blended and airbrushed way too much and it all looks like a pack of Fruit Stripe gum.

Who's a good really colorist? It'd be interesting to see comparisons between a good one and bad one, working on the same image, that demonstrates how easy it is to gently caress up good line art with bad color.

Also, isn't it true that Superman's primary color pallette was chosen because back then Cyan, Yellow and Red were the easiest to reproduce at the time? And Hulk was supposed to be grey but the printer hosed up and made him green?

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I really like Jordie Bellaire's work in Pretty Deadly. I don't have a copy handy, so here are a few examples pulled up from a Google image search.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

BiggerBoat posted:

Who's a good really colorist? It'd be interesting to see comparisons between a good one and bad one, working on the same image, that demonstrates how easy it is to gently caress up good line art with bad color.

There are a lot of really great colorists out there these days. To get a variety of styles, I would look at Jordie Bellaire, Nathan Fairbairn, Dave Stewart, Rico Renzi, Elizabeth Breitweiser, Dave McCaig, Dean White, Lee Loughridge, Jose Villarubia, Matt Wilson, Nick Filardi, and Tamra Bonvillain.

quote:

Also, isn't it true that Superman's primary color pallette was chosen because back then Cyan, Yellow and Red were the easiest to reproduce at the time? And Hulk was supposed to be grey but the printer hosed up and made him green?

Yeah, a lot of creative decisions in early comics come down to available technology. Generally speaking, heroes were colored in primary colors because those were the least likely to be messed up by printing processes, and you want your heroes to be iconic and instantly recognizable.

Gray was very difficult to consistently color with the old separation process, so, yeah, that's why Hulk turned in short order from gray to green and also why Iron Man coated his armor in gold after about one story. Pretty sure it's also why furry Beast became blue after being gray for his first few appearances.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Benito Cereno posted:

Yeah, a lot of creative decisions in early comics come down to available technology. Generally speaking, heroes were colored in primary colors because those were the least likely to be messed up by printing processes, and you want your heroes to be iconic and instantly recognizable.
There's also the long superhero design tradition of the good guys being primary colors (red, yellow, blue) and the bad guys being secondary colors (green, purple, orange) - again, for the technological reasons you describe.

Mike Allred explains:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

There are a lot of really great colorists out there these days. To get a variety of styles, I would look at Jordie Bellaire, Nathan Fairbairn, Dave Stewart, Rico Renzi, Elizabeth Breitweiser, Dave McCaig, Dean White, Lee Loughridge, Jose Villarubia, Matt Wilson, Nick Filardi, and Tamra Bonvillain.

A great list of colorists (I'm familiar with several of them), but I'd also add in Laura Martin and Laura Allred.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

There is also a question of payment - a recognizable manga artist with their studio of assistants for even a GN or mini-series would cost quite a lot. So even hooking Kubo Tite while he is on a post-Bleach sabbatical would be too difficult and expensive (he would love lax western deadlines tho).

You know, I'd think I'd like to see Kubo be an artist in an american comic. He could have someone else write and he could just draw cool poo poo and as you said, he'd be happier with the american work schedule.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Monaghan posted:

You know, I'd think I'd like to see Kubo be an artist in an american comic. He could have someone else write and he could just draw cool poo poo and as you said, he'd be happier with the american work schedule.

Yes but he reputedly hated working with assistants, which is why his series basically stopped having backgrounds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Great art from this week's Moon Knight by Greg Smallwood.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Comparisons of Absolute Sandman vol 1 with the original issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That gradient sky makes me very sad.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Have to say I prefer the original colouring in those three examples. Like someone said, I would probably have to read up on some colour theory to articulate why, but surely Hell can't intentionally be that dull.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

qntm posted:

Have to say I prefer the original colouring in those three examples. Like someone said, I would probably have to read up on some colour theory to articulate why, but surely Hell can't intentionally be that dull.

That's the proper way to feel. Gradient recolors are garbage. Look for the one they did of The Incal compared to the original for another example.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Top Cow Colorist Jasen Smith posted this to his facebook

Flat's probably my favorite. I find i tend to dislike glossier colors.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

In a couple of those it looks like Wolverine's head can open up and launch a missile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

In a couple of those it looks like Wolverine's head can open up and launch a missile.

That's his secondary mutation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I like the flat one a lot more than the others. But that's probably because things looked that way when I was first exposed to them. They do shading on the more recent Bugs Bunny cartoons, too, and it's never felt right to me. :corsair:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Flat looks good, but it also makes him look like he's in Colossus' shadow.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RandallODim posted:

That's the proper way to feel. Gradient recolors are garbage. Look for the one they did of The Incal compared to the original for another example.

I actually don't mind the Sandman recolours that much (possibly because I haven't read it yet), but good lord:

:stonklol:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I actually don't mind the Sandman recolours that much (possibly because I haven't read it yet), but good lord:

:stonklol:

This and the Sandman recolors just make me so sad. In Sandman's case I'm sure part of it is just that it's so different from the version I've read and reread numerous times.

It does ensure that I'll try to keep my volumes in great shape so I don't ever have to replace them.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The original colors look so much better. Like the new ones are done to be more "accurate" or "realistic" but that's not really what you want from something like Sandman. The occasionally weird or gaudy colors are a big part of the charm.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thinking of dope colorists I always immediately jump to Zero Year. Art by Capullo, colors by Fco Plascencia

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Simon Gane and Jordie Bellaire's work on They're Not Like Us is so great:

I love it when characters in comics wear actual interesting clothes.

Reposting Jordie Bellaire's work on They're Not Like Us, which she described as her "101 Dalmations" style. Best in the biz.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

That's Ryan Kinnaird and yes he sucks real bad. It's shameful he got paid money for that comic.

http://ryankinnaird.deviantart.com/

Would you prefer he be paid in lutefisk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If he had to eat it straight out of the lye that'd be preferable, yeah